Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm not watching it. I'm already on Ukraine's side, and I don't need my day to get any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not watching it. I'm already on Ukraine's side, and I don't need my day to get any worse.

agreed. It sounds almost gratuitous.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Gotta laugh that I associate Russian ATGMs with an early 2000s goon scat fetishist

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

I don't condemn it. It's necessary propaganda created to persuade those that can be moved by an emotional argument who might otherwise favor accomodations and appeasement, or who think that support should be limited.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A.o.D. posted:

I don't condemn it. It's necessary propaganda created to persuade those that can be moved by an emotional argument who might otherwise favor accomodations and appeasement, or who think that support should be limited.

agreed it was part of a very well put together speech and designed to hammer the point home hard as gently caress. and it def did that.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cimber posted:

I mean the Russians did this just hours after Ukraine released that video
https://twitter.com/dkaleniuk/status/1504144136936607746?t=VAtqZbCQ10Y5WiCxYUQpFg&s=19
Children in Ukraine are dying every day. Forcing people to acknowledge that doesn't qualify as "gratuitous"

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Platystemon posted:

Grandstanding, but real.

Yo ho ho, a pirate's life for me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just to make my position clear, there is no acceptable scenario where 40 million free people are allowed to be subjugated by a tyrant.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/dkaleniuk/status/1504144136936607746?t=VAtqZbCQ10Y5WiCxYUQpFg&s=19
Children in Ukraine are dying every day. Forcing people to acknowledge that doesn't qualify as "gratuitous"

I do wonder if an attack like this will have the same affect on world opinion like the showing so that Sarajevo marketplace.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KitConstantine posted:

No one in this thread has any control over US or NATO's decision on implementing a no fly zone over Ukraine so lets dial back the sanctimony a little bit.

I am just an IK - Not removing the imbed since it's tagged and relevant as it was shown to congress in an attempt to sway their decision. Everyone else view at your own discretion.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cimber posted:

I don’t think it’s gratuitous, it’s not overly gory. It’s just, you know, kids being loaded in ambulances and dying in hospital and a woman being thrown in a mass grave.

It’s journalistic in a way. Just, you know, war ain’t cool. In case anyone had doubts.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

As rough as that video was to watch, I think it's an effective tool to show everyone how completely loving stupid war is. In one way or another, every war in history was born from a grift, and in this case Putin hasn't been able to decide on just one grift so he is throwing them all at the board to see which one sticks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A.o.D. posted:

Just to make my position clear, there is no acceptable scenario where 40 million free people are allowed to be subjugated by a tyrant.

:hmmyes:

Hekk posted:

Everyone else view at your own discretion.

also :hmmyes:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hekk posted:

No one in this thread has any control over US or NATO's decision on implementing a no fly zone over Ukraine so lets dial back the sanctimony a little bit.

I am just an IK - Not removing the imbed since it's tagged and relevant as it was shown to congress in an attempt to sway their decision. Everyone else view at your own discretion.

Wasn't being sanctimonious, just stating a fact. And I know why the US can't do a no fly zone. But I think calling a video that merely showed the reality in Ukraine "gratuitous" was at a minimum crass.

Apparently the US government agreed that more needed to be done regarding anti air since they're sending a shitload over now
https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1504146824256532486?t=8ZJZhOztyYvhF_wWW899IA&s=19

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
With that many AA systems, it seems like an NFZ will be set up in a roundabout way

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

KitConstantine posted:

Wasn't being sanctimonious, just stating a fact. And I know why the US can't do a no fly zone. But I think calling a video that merely showed the reality in Ukraine "gratuitous" was at a minimum crass.

Apparently the US government agreed that more needed to be done regarding anti air since they're sending a shitload over now
https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1504146824256532486?t=8ZJZhOztyYvhF_wWW899IA&s=19

Probably means unnecessarily subjecting yourself to suffering and pain by watching it and isn't wrong according to the reactions from the thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have a healed bullethole in my right calf, and scars from grenade shrapnel next to my spine to remind me that war is never cool. This is a goddamn nightmare like all wars, and Putin needs to be beaten like a dog, politically and physically. The political beating will probably hurt him worse judging by his apparent mindset.

I really feel for the Russian conscripts that got thrown into this shithole by a loving sociopath to die horribly, but Ukraine is on the right side of history, and Putin's madness is not.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fragrag posted:

With that many AA systems, it seems like an NFZ will be set up in a roundabout way

:ssh:

Having trained NATO personnel do it would probably be more efficient, but you know, war.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

lightpole posted:

Probably means unnecessarily subjecting yourself to suffering and pain by watching it and isn't wrong according to the reactions from the thread.

That's fair, no one should have to watch the video if they don't want to, especially people in this thread who've been through war. Same with any of the more graphic footage coming out. The video does serve a purpose though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean maybe this is just my army brain talking here but is there no such thing as an illegal order where like "here lets drop bombs on refugees" you would be like uh gently caress you sir?

i just cant picture a professional soldier being cool with deliberate civilian casualties

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

“Professional” is the problem with your assumption.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fragrag posted:

MANPADs are only effective up to ~10-15,000 feet depending on the system - the Russians would just start bombing from higher altitudes which means even more indiscriminate targeting and collateral damage.

They dropped dumb bombs on Syrian targets from 30,000 feet from Backfires and Blackjacks. They really don't give a gently caress and it seems the only PGMs they're willing to expend are cruise missiles and TBMs, which they're likely running low on.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i guess i need to up my warcriming game or something because i just dont get it :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sneakyfrog posted:

i mean maybe this is just my army brain talking here but is there no such thing as an illegal order where like "here lets drop bombs on refugees" you would be like uh gently caress you sir?

i just cant picture a professional soldier being cool with deliberate civilian casualties

Unfortunately this is a common tactic in Russia, so there's probably institutional motivation there to dehumanize those they are killing (a lot like the US and civilians killed in drone strikes)

Terror bombings are a common Russian tactic, sadly.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

MANPADs are only effective up to ~10-15,000 feet depending on the system - the Russians would just start bombing from higher altitudes which means even more indiscriminate targeting and collateral damage.

They dropped dumb bombs on Syrian targets from 30,000 feet from Backfires and Blackjacks. They really don't give a gently caress and it seems the only PGMs they're willing to expend are cruise missiles and TBMs, which they're likely running low on.

They just started getting more S-300s from other countries. Those can easily knock out high level aircraft from a significant distance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

They just started getting more S-300s from other countries. Those can easily knock out high level aircraft from a significant distance.

Sure, but I'd imagine they're really judicious about firing them or even radiating.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

sneakyfrog posted:

Honest question: How low down the chain of command does information about what’s inside targeted buildings get propagated? Presumably someone knows, but is it the guy ultimately pushing the button? I’ve never been in any military, let alone the Russian one.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Whitehouse put out the full list just now:
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1504152530237992962?t=gnvxy0Pj3qv--uCynECjIQ&s=19

The second page is the spicy one

And the US already shipped over some S-300s apparently
https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1504131606562357251?t=AC_TihwRxgxZeGV8Jsc5sg&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sure, but I'd imagine they're really judicious about firing them or even radiating.

Sure, but Russia also hasn't been able to even get close to fully knocking out Ukrainian Anti-Air assets as it is, so I suspect it'll be a struggle to get these too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Already mentioned in the post above, but they're explicitly providing longer range SAMs.

raminasi posted:

Honest question: How low down the chain of command does information about what’s inside targeted buildings get propagated? Presumably someone knows, but is it the guy ultimately pushing the button? I’ve never been in any military, let alone the Russian one.

The US process has you including the target and disposition (under cover, in the open). This would be called into the fire direction center, which will coordinate fires. Beyond that I'm not sure what gets passed down to the actual dudes manning the guns other than the type of ammunition and the other information they need to actually get the rounds on target.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 16, 2022

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
normally its left to the individual unit commanders discretion. in my limited experience its the squad leader who needs fire support on an occupied position calling for support or something like that... but some of the crap im seeing like ambulances being used to transport munitions, shelling civilian apartment blocks, dropping bombs on designated refugee shelters are all like super big giant no no warcrimey things that will get you tried in the Hague.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sneakyfrog posted:

normally its left to the individual unit commanders discretion. in my limited experience its the squad leader who needs fire support on an occupied position calling for support or something like that... but some of the crap im seeing like ambulances being used to transport munitions, shelling civilian apartment blocks, dropping bombs on designated refugee shelters are all like super big giant no no warcrimey things that will get you tried in the Hague.

Yeah, they also got caught tagging vehicles as Red Cross to try to get around Ukrainian forces.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder how many red on red incidents there were, twitchy Russian conscripts accidentally firing on their own guys thinking they were Ukrainians who use the exact same loving equipment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apparently not enough

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
<insert tweet of villagers attaching Ukrainian flags to abandoned Russian tanks>

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/russianembfinla/status/1504087251009081348?s=21

Just normal Russia posting and yes it’s real.

Please report cases of violation of rights, discrimination and incitement of hatred against citizens of the Russian Federation and native speakers of the Russian language to the consular department of the embassy by e-mail consdepfin@yandex.ru

That said they’re gonna get a ton of Goatse.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
one of my IT managers is a Finn and one of the corporate managers asked him "hey have you ever visited st petersburg" since its like less than 100 miles from where he is at.

his response was literally spitting on the floor during a zoom meeting and saying "only if i were invading" this was 6 months ago.

they havent forgotten about the winter war one bit and this is a IT nerd here.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/russianembfinla/status/1504087251009081348?s=21

Just normal Russia posting and yes it’s real.

Please report cases of violation of rights, discrimination and incitement of hatred against citizens of the Russian Federation and native speakers of the Russian language to the consular department of the embassy by e-mail consdepfin@yandex.ru

That said they’re gonna get a ton of Goatse.

Yankee called Me "Ivan." My name is Ivan, but it was the way he said it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sneakyfrog posted:

one of my IT managers is a Finn and one of the corporate managers asked him "hey have you ever visited st petersburg" since its like less than 100 miles from where he is at.

his response was literally spitting on the floor during a zoom meeting and saying "only if i were invading" this was 6 months ago.

they havent forgotten about the winter war one bit and this is a IT nerd here.

Looking at the translated comments, and it’s all Finnish people posting, and they are all dunking on the Russians like they were Joel Embiid.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1504161424267952136?t=LoK06X_nSYDOtQpNQGbPpg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lightpole posted:

Any idea how fast they can get AA batteries in place?