Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm wondering why she wasn't invited.

Oh. Wow. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh. Wow. Wow.

I forsee a lot of divorces in that family

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh. Wow. Wow.

not being married as soon as you can drink, the ultimate wedding prank

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh. Wow. Wow.

Well lady, I dunno what to tell you but consider yourself lucky you’re not going. Jeez.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006

quantumwell posted:

I forsee a lot of divorces in that family
They are mormons, so probably not.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

she's still related to all these people.

in retrospect we could have guessed this when she said the brother was the only sibling of nine that (she thought) she had a good relationship with

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Guess she can update the “siblings I have a good relationship with” counter to 0.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Gonna need a lot of acid vats for that whole family.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Frank Frank posted:

Well lady, I dunno what to tell you but consider yourself lucky you’re not going. Jeez.

I can't decide whether the most amazing detail is sending gift registry lists with the you're-not-invited cards or telling people to bring treats to the address-my-cards-you-cheap-POS party.

Either way I yearn for more updates on this glorious trashfire.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh. Wow. Wow.

Abort! Aboooooooooort!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Definitely a situation for a lawn chair and a six-pack of cheap beer to watch the wedding implode.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for falling into my child's trap?

quote:

3 weeks ago I invited my children over for dinner. My son is 20, and he's a great son, but he loves and will always take the side of his sister (26). She is smart and funny but also is a bit of a drama queen and always needs the attention to be on her.

When he came over first, he warned me that his sister has begun wearing hearing aids and that it was a touchy subject and I shouldn't bring it up. This really confused me because my daughter can hear perfectly fine.

When she arrived she was fiddling with her ears as if she really wanted someone to mention it, so I asked her how long she's needed them for. She snarkily responded "since I was born" which was a lie and I called it out. She was trying to embarrass me and my guests were very uncomfortable.

She absolutely exploded at me saying that I knew she had hearing problems in childhood and never thought to get them checked. This is false, her school tested her hearing often and usually said she was messing around in the tests so they wouldn't get consistent results. She has since been telling everyone who will listen a pack of lies, that I "knew" she needed hearing aids and that I "ignored" her disability because I'm a terrible mother.

Now my friends are telling me that I let her down by not magically knowing she couldn't hear properly. The truth is her teachers were always worried about her hearing, I let them pull her out of class test her ears multiple times a year when she was in primary school and they never told me to look for hearing aids. She was just a really ignorant child who wouldn't listen to anyone. I obviously feel bad if there was something wrong and I didn't know. I was a young mum with no experience and no internet to help me I had no way of knowing if something was really wrong. It's just also possible that her hearing problems are new and she's drawing connections that aren't actually there. There's no way of actually knowing that this is my fault.

My son is telling me that I was in the wrong for bringing it up when he warned me not to, but I feel like they had this little trap to make me look bad on purpose. I feel like everybody who doesn't know the full story thinks I'm the one who's bad here.

So now you know the full story, do you think I am the rear end in a top hat for bringing up my daughter's hearing aids even though my son told me not to?

drat, how could they be so heartless as to set up a trap just to make her look like a terrible person? Well fortunately it backfired and now their true colors are showing!

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Anyone who censors the word 'sex' is an rear end in a top hat. Unless she is censoring the word 'sax', which makes me think that this story might be pretty cool.

I have the same feelings towards people who write the non-existent word "eversince."

The story itself is OK, it WOULD be an ESH (MIL not respecting boundaries, husband for putting up with it, wife going out of her way to piss off the MIL), but the use of that "word" makes her the rear end in a top hat.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, how could they be so heartless as to set up a trap just to make her look like a terrible person? Well fortunately it backfired and now their true colors are showing!

She is lucky that this daughter even talks to her tbh

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i turned my car's radio on sometime last week and it was the Lady Gaga BDSM song, and they censored 'sex' out of it.

i turned the radio off after i noticed that :wtc:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

well either she got her hearing tested as a kid or she didn't

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Captain Hygiene posted:

She was just a really ignorant child who wouldn't listen to anyone

Lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

A former co-worker told me he and his (now former) wife always thought their son was really stupid but turned out he was almost deaf. Welp that's my child with bad hearing story thanks for reading.

e: Apropos one of the kid's favourite pastimes apart from the Disney Channel was running at full speed and punching people in the nuts. Got me good one time. I guess telling him "do not punch people in the nuts!" over and over again didn't do much since he didn't hear it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 16, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What a psycho, pretending to have hearing problems throughout her entire childhood, and topping it off by buying an uncomfortable and expensive piece of medical equipment for no reason whatsoever, other than to goad her innocent mother into angrily admitting she never believed the fake hearing problems in the daughter's childhood, making her undeservedly look like a monster just because of the words she literally said.

That is one bad vibes child.

E: My parents also thought I was really stupid, until it turned out I just needed glasses. They found this out at age two, when I had been toddling into glass doors and stuff for maybe a couple months. It's not that hard!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A former co-worker told me he and his (now former) wife always thought their son was really stupid but turned out he was almost deaf. Welp that's my child with bad hearing story thanks for reading.

e: Apropos one of the kid's favourite pastimes apart from the Disney Channel was running at full speed and punching people in the nuts. Got me good one time. I guess telling him "do not punch people in the nuts!" over and over again didn't do much since he didn't hear it.

I hope he got the help he needed, the sound adds a lot to the humor when you nut punch someone

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

i turned my car's radio on sometime last week and it was the Lady Gaga BDSM song, and they censored 'sex' out of it.

i turned the radio off after i noticed that :wtc:

Was visiting my ex's family in West-By-God-Virginia and looked at the local paper back in the day to see that Expletive Deleted by Meredith Brooks was the number song at that time...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hope he got the help he needed, the sound adds a lot to the humor when you nut punch someone

Last I saw him he had a hearing aid, but I didn't stick around to find out if he had changed hobbies.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Kid can't be too stupid cause it sounds like he was actively attempting to prevent his parents from conceiving a second child that would have to go through what he was dealing with.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

blackmet posted:

I have the same feelings towards people who write the non-existent word "eversince."

They really fell off the earth after doing that one song in Daredevil.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How long did it take them to realize their child was almost deaf? My mother in law says she's pretty sure my husband was unable to hear for about two weeks after his birth, because he didn't react to sounds. Then his hearing activated and he was screaming at every single sound. So if the kid was old enough to run around and punch people in the dick, that seems a bit long.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my sister to stop projecting her insecurities on other women?

quote:

My sister and her husband are going through very public martial issues. To give you the condensed version, basically, my BIL was caught cheating on my sister by my wife during an event she happened to be working (she is a bartender) My wife immediately told my sister, (in PRIVATE, without telling my BIL that she knew) and my sister proceeded to get very angry with my wife, accusing her of “ruining her marriage.” This culminated in my sister breaking down and screaming at my wife during a family dinner; calling her a “whore who likes to break up marriages,” and a “person with no hobbies.” My sister’s very public rant about my wife led to my BIL admitting, in front of my family members, that he cheated. This, of course, led to more drama.

This all happened a few months ago and as far as I can tell, my sister and her husband are not going to spilt up.

After this whole situation, I decided to distance myself from my family for a little bit. I thought that my sister needed time to process everything - and I didn’t think it was fair to my wife to subject her to my sister’s rage. I sent a long text message essentially telling her that I wanted her to sincerely apologise to my wife. My sister apologised and I thought that it would be the end of that.

My dad invited my wife and I to celebrate his birthday at his place. I knew that everyone would be there, including my sister and her husband, so I was a bit hesitant to go, but my wife assured me that everything would be alright.

To start, everything was going well. My sister practically avoided us (which I didn’t mind) and my BIL was glued to her side the entire time so we didn’t really face any drama. Everyone was cordial towards one another and no one mentioned my BIL’s infidelity.

At one point, I think my wife asked my BIL to move over so that she could sit down (she is currently on crutches) and when my BIL got her a chair and helped her sit down. My sister , got extremely mad at my wife for “being too friendly with her man.” (Her exact words)

My wife was confused and explained that she just wanted a seat, but my sister wasn’t having any of it. She started full-on yelling at my wife for “doing what she always does” and “ruining other people’s relationships.” My sister has a loud voice, so literally everyone stopped and looked at her and my wife. My wife looked pretty embarrassed and just muttered a “sorry,” and even wanted to go stand up, but I butted in and told my sister to stop yelling at my wife and to stop acting “extremely insecure in front of other women and go for counselling or something.”

For whatver reason, my sister ran out the room crying after that and my wife and I left soon after.

My BIL texted an apology on behalf of my sister, but told me that I was a little rude and that I should apologise. My wife thinks that I may have been too harsh. My entire family is spilt, some saying that I was too mean to her. AITA?

"You hussy! Coming on to my husband with those sexy crutches!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Gonna need a lot of acid vats for that whole family.

Surely one can get family-sized?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm a little late to the child booze drinking but here's a fun article about alcohol and cancer!

quote:

I quickly discovered that way back in 1988, the World Health Organization declared alcohol a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning that it’s been proved to cause cancer. There is no known safe dosage in humans, according to the WHO. Alcohol causes at least seven types of cancer, but it kills more women from breast cancer than from any other. The International Agency for Research on Cancer estimates that for every drink consumed daily, the risk of breast cancer goes up 7 percent.

The research linking alcohol to breast cancer is deadly solid. There’s no controversy here. Alcohol, regardless of whether it’s in Everclear or a vintage Bordeaux, is carcinogenic. More than 100 studies over several decades have reaffirmed the link with consistent results. The National Cancer Institute says alcohol raises breast cancer risk even at low levels.

I’m a pretty voracious reader of health news, and all of this came as a shock. I’d been told red wine was supposed to defend against heart disease, not give you cancer. And working at Mother Jones, I thought I’d written or read articles on everything that could maybe possibly cause cancer: sugar, plastic, milk, pesticides, shampoo, the wrong sunscreen, tap water…You name it, we’ve reported on the odds that it might give you cancer. As I schlepped back and forth to the hospital for surgery and radiation treatments, I started to wonder how I could know about the risk associated with all these other things but not alcohol. It turns out there was a good reason for my ignorance.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/

I ain't saying don't drink, but I think giving your 2 yo child booze, even alcohol free booze, is a terrible idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

How long did it take them to realize their child was almost deaf? My mother in law says she's pretty sure my husband was unable to hear for about two weeks after his birth, because he didn't react to sounds. Then his hearing activated and he was screaming at every single sound. So if the kid was old enough to run around and punch people in the dick, that seems a bit long.

Like 5 inthink?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

hawowanlawow posted:

well either she got her hearing tested as a kid or she didn't

Public schools test all kids' hearing so garbage parents like OP can learn when their kids are Deaf. Unfortunately, the schools cannot also force OP to take her kid to the ENT to figure out what kind of hearing aids she needs and OP chose not to do that because she is the devil.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my sister to stop projecting her insecurities on other women?

"You hussy! Coming on to my husband with those sexy crutches!"
Make the sister the one who needs crutches for a while.

The wife definitely did the right thing by telling the sister about her philandering husband, but this kind of reaction by shitheads like the sister, where they choose not to get angry at the actual adulterer, but the person who delivered the news, is why many people choose not to speak up when they hear about adultery.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm a little late to the child booze drinking but here's a fun article about alcohol and cancer!

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/

I ain't saying don't drink, but I think giving your 2 yo child booze, even alcohol free booze, is a terrible idea.

Oh hey the answer to why a bunch of people on my dad's side of the family all had issues with colon cancer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for yeling at my Fiance and calling him insecure after he deleted my work project to get back at me for not going with him to his friend's birthday party?

quote:

My fiance's best friend's birthday party was yesterday, My fiance wanted me to go with him but I apologized and said I couldn't because I had to finish a work project in the evening and barely had time. He said it was unacceptable since the party was held at a prestigious restaurant and all his friends were going to bring their partners, He insisted I go with him but I told him if I don't complete this project soon I will lose potential promotiom next month and someone else will take my place. He just looked at me and said "I just hope it'll be worth it" then stormed out.

I called him but he hung up, I got done with my project and went to take a shower. I got out and found my fiance in the livingroom refusing to speak to me after I asked about the party. I went upstairs to finalize my project but found out that my entire work laptop has been reset. Everything got wipped including my project. My heart sank I asked my fiance if he was behind this and he just looked at me and said that now we are even after I refused to come with him to the party and embarrassed him by forcing him to go alone and get weird looks and questions from everyone. I started yelling at him and called him insecure to care about his public image and looks and getting "even" just cause I had to work. He said I contributed to this outcome and should've gone with him. now I had to start all all over again. We started exchanging words and he told me to stop saying he's insecure and petty. He checked into a hotel and has been staying there constantly texting about how hurt he was that he had to hear me call him insecure and refusing to have any consideration for him. He said that I did make him look bad when I refused to come with him and he was hurt by that.

Our ongoing argument is that I keep saying that just because we're a couple then I have to attend every event with him. While keeps saying that it's classless and socially unacceptable when I let him attend alone unless I'm sick or traveling.
Top response:

quote:

You spelled ex-fiance incorrectly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also based on that exchange, the school 100% told OP to get her kid to a specialist ASAP, but she’s the kind of narcissist who literally cannot hear things that conflict with her worldview, so she will insist that it never happened even if one could produce a recording of that conversation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also based on that exchange, the school 100% told OP to get her kid to a specialist ASAP, but she’s the kind of narcissist who literally cannot hear things that conflict with her worldview, so she will insist that it never happened even if one could produce a recording of that conversation.

I'm not a parent but I'd like to think that even if I didn't take the kid to an ENT to see what was up after the first time the school went out of its way to do this, I would after the second time, and definitely after the TENTH TIME! If the ENT couldn't find anything, maybe a therapist, maybe there's something else they need help with.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

therattle posted:

Surely one can get family-sized?

This seems to be an ongoing issue with the vats.

I also feel that its a touch impersonal.

Maybe we need something a bit more...traditional?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for yelling at my Fiance and calling him insecure after he deleted my work project to get back at me for not going with him to his friend's birthday party?

That behavior goes way beyond insecure and petty, and whoo boy the gaslighting....

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for yeling at my Fiance and calling him insecure after he deleted my work project to get back at me for not going with him to his friend's birthday party?

Seems to have disappeared or was really old, I was hoping to find an update or something.

In any case, it must be wild to see into a mind where annihilating your partner's career milestone project is an appropriate response for missing a party. Just a pastiche of gangster movies and 70's disco excess but with no turn, like an EDM set where the bass never drops just more cocaine

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also based on that exchange, the school 100% told OP to get her kid to a specialist ASAP, but she’s the kind of narcissist who literally cannot hear things that conflict with her worldview

sure, deafness is congenital after all

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Top response:

Good god. Monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WIBTA if I didn’t give back the inheritancemy ex fiancé left me to his family?

quote:

My ex fiancé passed away 2 months ago. A couple of days ago I found out he had left all his fortune to me. His family is now very angry with me. I’m not sure if I have any obligations to return the money to his family.

I met him 15 years ago. He was 35 and I was 28. He was a very shy and “awkward” guy. I put awkward in “” because that’s not what I thought but what he thought he was. His mother, his sister and his sister’s children were his world. When he turned 30 he had already told his family that he had given up the hope of meeting a partner and that he promised he was dedicating his life to his sister and her children. He was starting up a promising business and he was going to take care of his nephews. When we met it was love at first sight (he’s the love of my life). His mother and sister hated me from the get go. Our personalities clashed yes but the main reason was because they thought he had broken his promise should he start a family. We moved in, got engaged and set the date but unfortunately we broke up and I want to say it was 99% because of his family’s interference and him not siding with me. We broke up after 12 years together.

Under the time we were together my ex fiancé’s business took off and he became very wealthy. When we broke up he left me our apartment (that he bought). That didn’t sit well with his mother who harassed me to the point of sending men I didn’t know to wait for my outside of the building to threaten me. I wasn’t having any of it. I gave him back the keys and moved to my home town.

Now he had left me all of his fortune. We never really stopped loving each other and he regretted not protecting me but it was too late to reconcile. I just wanted to run from that horrible family. Now his sister is saying that the money is hers and her sons. I don’t know but I feel like if he wanted to give it to them he wouldn’t put me in his will. My best friend think I would be an AH if I kept money that I had no right to. Tell me what you think!

Edits:

after the break up I cut all the contact with him because I needed to get over him. From what I understood from his solicitor he had no contact with his family after the break up.

I don’t know how much he left but it’s probably between €10-15 millions.

school/college is free here. If I leave anything to the children, it would be funds. I’m not sure if I should do it. Why didn’t he

He passed away from chronic disease related complications. It was however sudden since you could live a relatively normal and long life with that disease. I have been on sick leave since I got the news. And I only left bed a week ago I really thought we had our whole life to find our way back to each other. I miss him, his smile and his sense of humor.

He didn’t leave any letter or anything to me I wish He did but I don’t think he had the time.