Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

The base thickness of the material is the same, it’s just pleated deeper. Same capture efficiency. Less resistance to airflow.

Oh ok i see. They have the same amount of fiber as smaller ones but just spread out? So they're for high flow rate situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

nexous posted:

alas I can not

50-70k full wfh

do you have a contact info? might know someone if full remote is fine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Topol killed his audience.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Thoguh posted:

As somebody making some efforts to switch industries right now… it seems like recruiters aren’t yet willing to widen their net yet and probably can’t find anyone because they won’t interview candidates for mid and senior level roles that don’t check all of their boxes.

recruiter here: for those mid and senior level roles, my role in the hiring process is to get people and screen the obviously unqualified from the discussion i have with the hiring manager, then i go get them a pool of people that they interview and hire from.

for entry level positions (ie. the ones i have direct hiring capability over), a lot of my success vs my peers definitely hinges on the fact that i give people that don't check all the boxes constantly. however, for those mid & senior roles, it's absolutely management thinking we're still hiring in tyool 2014

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I was thinking it was similar to activated carbon scrubbers where the thickness of the column is proportional to how nasty the stuff is

HazCat
May 4, 2009

So software QA has come up a couple of times ITT as a potential easy inroad for office work, and I know I'm genuinely curious about it as a possibility.

Would anyone be willing to post a brief 'here's the minimum you'd need on a resume to at least start making it to interviews' sort of thing? In terms of skillset and certifications and program familiarity, and I guess maybe any related experience that would get you over the 'must have 10 years in this exact role' hump?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

nexous posted:

basically can you draw a proper clock

I'm not the best, but I am pretty good.

Edit: Never mind; clocks I can draw at a presidential level :smug:

Pingui fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 16, 2022

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
i dont do qa but i do do software development and what i know of qa is mostly you have to do a lot of boring stuff with spreadsheets and test software and check to see if the changes assholes like me made broke anything. while you can certainly get better and more efficient at it, and developing light to moderate development skills of your own will get you places, entry level qa CAN be, depending on the place, a very "do you know what excel is" affair

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

not_superiority posted:

this is anecdotal, but:

i've been dealing with (maybe post-covid) brain fog for a couple years now. i might have had covid in late 2019, definitely had it in december of 2020.

my cognition improved when i built a corsi cube and run it when i'm home. mine is on a smart plug that's programmed to turn on ~30 minutes before i get home and off ~30 minutes after i leave.

i'm not saying that everyone with long/post covid just needs to improve their indoor air quality to get well, but it wouldn't hurt anything to rule out other contributing factors.

build yourself a cube or stick a merv 14 on a box fan!

yeah I'm planning to go to Lowe's this afternoon and finally pull the trigger. I've been wanting another air purifier for my house and I think I'm just gonna build a fuckoff-huge Corsi

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
if i wanna work in software i bet im gonna have to do more than have a bunch of hobby projects and a year of classes at the uni lol

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I can't draw clocks but I did draw this in a couple minutes of free time using ideas given to me many many pages ago(that I am sorry for stealing)

not enough labels, I think it's too subtle.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

I can't draw clocks but I did draw this in a couple minutes of free time using ideas given to me many many pages ago(that I am sorry for stealing)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

good expressive faces

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

mdemone posted:

yeah I'm planning to go to Lowe's this afternoon and finally pull the trigger. I've been wanting another air purifier for my house and I think I'm just gonna build a fuckoff-huge Corsi

Do it! We built one for our bedroom and my concentration is much, much better when it's on. Plus it just feels nice.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

(..)

It doesn't make any sense :confused: Which part is the national debt?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Soap Scum posted:

he's smart enough to know that things are very very bad but stupid enough to believe that anything good will ever happen again, a land of contrasts

I view him kinda the way I view Chris Hayes for network news - the most correct that anyone is allowed to be and still have a mainstream voice which means they are gonna say some good stuff but also some really stupid stuff and you just kinda have to take what you can get. He's a good benchmark to know where the doomer edge of the overton window currently resides.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

if i wanna work in software i bet im gonna have to do more than have a bunch of hobby projects and a year of classes at the uni lol

I have literally never done a single hobby project in my entire career

I'll never work at Google but that's fine

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Pingui posted:

It doesn't make any sense :confused: Which part is the national debt?

the bucket of pee pee and poo poo

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

hot witch divorcee posted:

i dont do qa but i do do software development and what i know of qa is mostly you have to do a lot of boring stuff with spreadsheets and test software and check to see if the changes assholes like me made broke anything. while you can certainly get better and more efficient at it, and developing light to moderate development skills of your own will get you places, entry level qa CAN be, depending on the place, a very "do you know what excel is" affair

pretty much this.

can you use a website
can you right click inspect element and understand basic html
can you write detailed notes about whats broken and how you got it to be in that broken state

bonus monies if you can type "select * from table" extra bonus monies if you can join tables

problem with QA is that anyone who is good at QA immediately gets promoted out of QA into dev, or automation or management

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

as an unemployable all this skilled career talk is making me feel marginalized

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

the bucket of pee pee and poo poo

Now I get it! That's pretty good :)

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

whats the secret to finding entry level stuff b/c im floundering at where im at now lol

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Same. One time I tried to extract the asset encryption key from a video game but after a few hours I gave up because I came to my senses.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Korean Boomhauer posted:

in 2003 I was working for Hollywood Video making slightly more than min wage and I put my resume on the internet with a couple of software projects I had done for fun and a bunch of places called me for interviews, didn't even have to apply anywhere. im sure times have changed, but who knows

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nexous posted:

in 2003 I was working for Hollywood Video making slightly more than min wage and I put my resume on the internet with a couple of software projects I had done for fun and a bunch of places called me for interviews, didn't even have to apply anywhere. im sure times have changed, but who knows

OK boomer

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

not_superiority posted:

can't wait to find out if my seasonal allergies were begin exacerbated my whole life by the lovely indoor air that i've been chugging for decades.

Spoiler alert! Yes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

whats the secret to finding entry level stuff b/c im floundering at where im at now lol

getting in the door loving sucks
work with recruiters if you have any in your area, they'll get you probably a terrible job but once you're proven you'll never want for job offers again
stick with it for a year to 18 months and then jump ship to a better company for a 20-50% raise
do the same at the next one and then find a landing spot that requires the least work

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Serious story, I worked in utility construction doing fiber splicing and other cable TV work from age 17 until the bottom fell out of that in 2002 when I was 21.

From there I worked a poo poo call center job until 2008

I left the call center job because I knew I was going to be there until I was sixty at that rate and went to a temp agency that got me a job at a labware/chemical distributor doing data entry stuff on a three month contract in 2008

I found ways to make myself useful until they gave me a job for $12/hr doing jack-of-all-trades computer poo poo like Excel data transformation and other dumb stuff, and I took advantage of access to their database stuff and other systems to teach myself SQL, PL/SQL, and a piece of BI software called Cognos.

I stuck a resume out in 2011 detailing my experience with PL/SQL, Cognos, and enterprise computer poo poo and the local Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliate had a need to replace a Cognos developer and contacted me, I lowballed and asked for $50K and they were cheap so they hired me and I've been working my way up in healthcare IT ever since.

I dropped out of high school when I was sixteen and didn't get a degree until 2015 when I got a two year tech school degree. I've just been insanely lucky and I was in the right place at the right time. I leave one keyword off that 2011 resume and my life is drastically different right now.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

e^^ if i go from "my job" to "my job + SQL+python" i'd make like 50k more a year lol

yo lol love to be compared to diogenes

Tulip fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 16, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

nexous posted:

pretty much this.

can you use a website
can you right click inspect element and understand basic html
can you write detailed notes about whats broken and how you got it to be in that broken state

bonus monies if you can type "select * from table" extra bonus monies if you can join tables

problem with QA is that anyone who is good at QA immediately gets promoted out of QA into dev, or automation or management

don't doxx me

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

I've just been insanely lucky and I was in the right place at the right time.

:same:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nexous posted:

just hit da bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Red Baron posted:

you wanna know how I got these SARS?