Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Watching The Adam Project, the movie opens with space battle and Gimme Some Lovin' is playing. Then later, the same people involved in the space battle continue their space battle and Gimme Some Lovin' starts playing again. But the song starts over. Since the battle is meant to be a continuation of the opening scene, the song should also pick up where it left off. Why would it start over, only to end even sooner than it did the first time? God loving dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The thing that irritated me the most was the ending of the movie.

(Big spoilers)

The big ending where the big plan comes together for the Adams and their dad, and it's the fact that the bullet has a steel core. Only problem is the rifle that was carrying a magazine full of them and wasn't dragged away towards the core like everything else magnetic was, including the bullet she fired. If anything that rifle should have been one of the first things flying towards the core, especially if the magnetic field is strong enough to grab a bullet that fast.

Petty, yes. Irrationally irritating? Yes. The rest of the movie was pretty good though. Might be my favorite ruffalo movie since shutter island.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FFT posted:

Named after Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother?

Decolonization of the mind is a helluva process.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moonmazed posted:

"tiger mom" is a racist stereotype

Is it? It was coined by a Chinese woman and there are apparently a few Chinese made tv shows that use the name

The only person I've heard use it irl is a Korean coworker referring to his mother

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Len posted:

Is it? It was coined by a Chinese woman and there are apparently a few Chinese made tv shows that use the name

The only person I've heard use it irl is a Korean coworker referring to his mother

News to me too, I thought this was a term of self-identification rather than a pejorative.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The phrase is 'how do you do, fellow kids?'

This phrase really really sums up Yes Man.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The thing that irritated me the most was the ending of the movie.

(Big spoilers)

The big ending where the big plan comes together for the Adams and their dad, and it's the fact that the bullet has a steel core. Only problem is the rifle that was carrying a magazine full of them and wasn't dragged away towards the core like everything else magnetic was, including the bullet she fired. If anything that rifle should have been one of the first things flying towards the core, especially if the magnetic field is strong enough to grab a bullet that fast.

Petty, yes. Irrationally irritating? Yes. The rest of the movie was pretty good though. Might be my favorite ruffalo movie since shutter island.

Are you sure it went down like that? I noticed that, too, but it was so obvious that I thought there must have been a line mumbled about how the bullets had special coating or fuckin I don't know.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

credburn posted:

Watching The Adam Project, the movie opens with space battle and Gimme Some Lovin' is playing. Then later, the same people involved in the space battle continue their space battle and Gimme Some Lovin' starts playing again. But the song starts over. Since the battle is meant to be a continuation of the opening scene, the song should also pick up where it left off. Why would it start over, only to end even sooner than it did the first time? God loving dammit.

I think this has to do with music licensing costs, at least keeping the licensing fees low for songs that might cost an arm and a leg. My wife was watching some Amazon Prime movie with Betty from Riverdale and they reused the same snippet of a Beach House song no fewer than three times. So obviously they're being cheap.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's why there's never going to be an as broadcast boxed set of Miami vice, because they can't get the licensing deals for what amounts to the 80s greatest hits.

Supernatural had the same problem for the early seasons on DVD, iirc. Great music but pain in the rear end to license for stuff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's why there's never going to be an as broadcast boxed set of Miami vice, because they can't get the licensing deals for what amounts to the 80s greatest hits.

Supernatural had the same problem for the early seasons on DVD, iirc. Great music but pain in the rear end to license for stuff.

back in the early days of supernatural/smallville/all those CW dramas they would literally advertise episodes occasionally with the song that would be featured that week’s episode, and the credits would include an ad bump for the album. i have to imagine that was some sweetheart deal to cut down on licensing costs for broadcast that didn’t at all affect the price of licensing it for home video

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Supernatural is such a piece of poo poo garbage show I loving love it so much. Terrible show by all metrics that should have lasted 5 seasons but I’ve seen the whole series at least twice

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of Miami Vice, I'm watching the director's cut of the 2006 movie and my IIMM is the excessive use of Chris Cornell in the soundtrack. I just find his vocals… irritating.

That said, I stan for the film and felt like I was in the minority liking it when it came out in theaters. It was almost as if the critics at the time never saw the original show as the movie felt like a long episode. Funny too as public perception changed over time and people like it more now than before.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Michael Bay is my Irrationally Irritating Movie Michael

fake edit: Why did I think it was directed by Michael Bay rather than Michael Mann? Miami Vice was good

actual edit: and yeah i was even remembering that the movie's director was the same as the show's director, that's why i went "wait, that can't be right, Michael Bay wasn't directing poo poo in the 80s" (except apparently he did direct five music videos in '89)

stringless has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Mar 15, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You want a real IIMM about Miami Vice the movie?
This scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3iBN8yz-2s
Gina said she'll send a round at 2700 feet per second, but that's the muzzle velocity of a Heckler & Koch G36K (carbine length) instead of the G36C (short barrel length) she is using.

Edit: more IIMM about Miami Vice: in the final gunfight, police snipers are set to work as counter snipers, but they don't help in the rest of the shootout.

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Mar 15, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Android Apocalypse posted:

Gina said she'll send a round at 2700 feet per second, but that's the muzzle velocity of a Heckler & Koch G36K (carbine length) instead of the G36C (short barrel length) she is using.
Maybe she's using custom loads, because that's not the official muzzle velocity of any G36 variant (full length is 3,018 fps, mid length [K] is 2,788.7 fps, short/carbine length [C] is 2,368.8 fps).

Or more likely she's just trying to be intimidating and picked an intimidating number

But also (according to some fraction of hunters) 2,700 fps is like the golden standard for big game hunting so maybe that's the intimidating number being used

tbh the IIMM of that scene is that loving nobody in that double wide trailer would have been able to hear her whispering after the gunfire

He was just gonna say "Hey, I can't loving hear whatever you're whispering over there" but only got the first word out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

See also Daria, which really suffers given it aired on MTV that had the rights to goddamn everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also Daria, which really suffers given it aired on MTV that had the rights to goddamn everything.

Beavis and Butthead too, apparently?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The BBC has blanket rights to basically put anything in anything, and let me tell you this bit doesn't make much sense in the dvd release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aY1QSQ31KM

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Korean tv networks can basically do anything with anything too, which makes it really funny when they suddenly drop in the pirates of the carribbean or bourne identity theme

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Internship is completely forgettable even by the standards of forgotten comedies.

Not by me, I've seen it like 10 times. If you're wondering "why", so am i. When I see it on, I think "oh yeah I kind of like that robert de niro movie (the intern) i'll put it on" and then I realize it's that one and watch it and try to find new things i hate about it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Damnit after seeing why other people (racists and homophobes) hate Turning Red, I have to change my statement to: it's a Pixar 6 out of 10. The characters weren't developed enough, the narration was bad, the anime faces were weird for Pixar.

It was no Onward but nor was it Monsters Inc.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Damnit after seeing why other people (racists and homophobes) hate Turning Red, I have to change my statement to: it's a Pixar 6 out of 10. The characters weren't developed enough, the narration was bad, the anime faces were weird for Pixar.

It was no Onward but nor was it Monsters Inc.

My wife and I disagree and it's hella good if you're an Inside Out kind of Pixar liker.

I'll have to ask her what she thinks vs Onward, but she's American-born Filipina with mom-drama, so I'm pretty sure she felt seen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cowslips Warren posted:

the anime faces were weird for Pixar.

I mean, Pixar isn't a monolith hive mind - this was a design choice by someone in the production (the director I think), so saying it's not 'Pixar' is kinda strange considering the range of designs they've had in the past.

Anyway, I found the visual humour worked quite well for me, but I understand that's not universal.

The narration in the beginning was a little much, but I think it's because there are so few animated films with a protagonist who isn't some shirking wallflower, and isn't afraid to state it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

the anime faces were weird for Pixar.

Wait up wtf are you talking about? They don't have "anime faces!" They were Chinese Canadian!

Is every Asian in animation anime??

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wasn't explicitly aware the protagonist was Asian until I saw the mom and family.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Haven't seen it, but I feel like the panda things is probably a tip off in that regard.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It doesn't look like anime to me, it looks like pixar.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait up wtf are you talking about? They don't have "anime faces!" They were Chinese Canadian!

Is every Asian in animation anime??

I haven't seen it, but the main character gives me stronger Aardman vibes than anime.

edit I suppose since "anime" is just short for "animation" yes, it is anime, in the way that garfield is anime

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Maybe they meant the moments where the character eyes flipped to exaggerated 2d sparkles? It's a bit more stylized than the traditional Pixar animation, but I thought it was hilarious every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkBsV8m9zRI ( the mildest of spoilers )

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nameless Pete posted:

Haven't seen it, but I feel like the panda things is probably a tip off in that regard.

They work in a literal Chinese temple tourist attraction lmbo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Also, they live in Markham

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

flavor.flv posted:

Also, they live in Markham

They dance in front of the CANADIAN FLAG taking up an ENTIRE WALL of the classroom.

And nearly every skyline has the CN tower.

Also the convenience store looked deadass like Kim's Convenience.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
people really cannot contain their racism about this movie

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
*leaving Panda Express in a huff* I’m sorry but this is much too anime for me

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I read through some google reviews and also lol at a large portion of them criticizing the movie because it had the girl rebelling against her parents.

Yes, I agree, how dare Disney/Pixar make a movie where a young girl rebels against her parents. Not like those silly girls in Little Mermaid or Brave or Moana or Lilo & Stitch or Mulan or....wait a sec

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh don't worry the fundamentalist types always argue that poo poo.

Also the Q types argue that it brainwashes kids away from their families, for the adrenochrome you see.

Those scene smashes were from every boy band performance ever. Not anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSy36fu6Pk

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Mar 16, 2022

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~

moonmazed posted:

i don't drink really. i don't see how you can see someone expounding at length about how water "opens up the flavor" like it's some kind of magic loving spell

Your second sentence is incomplete.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
............. ,,,,,,,,,, ''''''''''''

peper and solt it as you please

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Squidster posted:

Maybe they meant the moments where the character eyes flipped to exaggerated 2d sparkles? It's a bit more stylized than the traditional Pixar animation, but I thought it was hilarious every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkBsV8m9zRI ( the mildest of spoilers )

This part is anime, yeah. It wasn't bad, just caught me off guard because that feels more like something from Hotel Transylvania than a Pixar film.

I also felt bad for all the other female relatives who locked their panda side back up at the end of the movie. I read a good review online that compared it to people of older generations being forced to stay in the closet.

Is it just me, or was there a lot more advertising for Encanto than Turning Red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was told Turning Red is a metaphor for puberty and that’s why so many people were mad.

I haven’t seen it though.