Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

mosquito larvae, woodlice and azolla are the technology of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is nuclear war considered to happen outside or inside?

firs da one and den da otter

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What single catastrophic event (because that is all the media will ever really respond to) would the Times and Atlantic start to say, "Actually, let's just start spraying sulfur dioxide now. It's cheap and who knows maybe it'll work!!"?

The one in the IPCC narratives is a heat wave that kills a bunch of middle class and wealthy people in the US, Western Europe, and China.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Good news, everyone. The coal plant in New York that was repurposed for bitcoin has been so profitable that it's spreading. Kentucky is the lucky number one state for the ongoing rush.

quote:

"We're trying to digitize coal," said Rogers, the chief strategy officer of Blockware Solutions, a bitcoin mining giant that is expanding rapidly in eastern Kentucky.

Over the past year Rogers, a former venture capitalist, has been crisscrossing Appalachia, on the hunt for new bitcoin mining sites - and the power to run them.

When the planned construction is done, the facility will create up to three bitcoins per day - worth over $100,000, all the while sucking more power than all the houses in Belfry combined, based on estimates from Blockware Solutions.

[...]

"I don't see anyone who can compete with Kentucky in bitcoin mining," said state senator Brandon Smith, who has travelled the world pitching Kentucky as a prime location for mining operations.

In 2021 Smith - who chairs the natural resources committee in the state senate - spearheaded a package of tax incentives for bitcoin miners. The law was signed by the governor in March.

It could cost Kentucky taxpayers about $9 million a year in lost tax revenue - though bitcoin proponents say that will be outweighed by the broader economic benefits the industry brings, such as jobs and out-of-state investment.

[...]

"We don't have clean water in parts of Appalachia - but now I have million-dollar bitcoin mines? What is going on here?" said Nina McCoy, a retired biology teacher in Inez.

[...]

Up the hill from her house, on a reclaimed surface coal mine, lies a hulking metal trash incinerator.

It will burn and gasify municipal waste trucked in from across the country, creating energy that local bitcoin miners plan to divert to their operations.

After years of experimenting, the waste-to-energy technology is now ready for prime time, said John Burke, a former coal mine operator who co-owns the facility.

It will soon start generating more than 7 megawatts of power per month, he said - enough to initially power about 1,000 homes.

Once a bitcoin mine being set up around the plant becomes operational, the power will instead be routed to it, said Wes Hamilton, a local businessman.

[...]

As part of Kentucky's drive to woo bitcoin miners, legislation written by Smith allows miners who invest more than a million dollars in the state to have their sales taxes waived.

Smith said owning his own bitcoin operation did not run afoul of any state ethics rules, and that he got personally involved in the industry to "put my money where my mouth was" as he pitched the state as a hub for investors.

[...]

"There is no limit to the amount of capital that can be extracted from stranded energy now that bitcoin mining is at play," [Hodl Tarantula] said, standing at the site of a mine he has built in the middle of the woods in southeast Kentucky.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Complications posted:

Good news, everyone. The coal plant in New York that was repurposed for bitcoin has been so profitable that it's spreading. Kentucky is the lucky number one state for the ongoing rush.

oh hell yeah just burning immense quantities of energy to produce ????

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Complications posted:

how many cars idling to solve rubik's cubes is this

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cloks posted:

oh hell yeah just burning immense quantities of energy to produce ????

they were already doing that but this is more efficient with fewer transmission lines between the CO2 output and ????

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/waitbutwhy/status/1503787076164243461

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

they were already doing that but this is more efficient with fewer transmission lines between the CO2 output and ????

You can’t cut back on ????

You will regret this!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

how many cars idling to solve rubik's cubes is this

The Article posted:

With its fossil fuel-heavy energy supply, Kentucky produces more carbon from cryptocurrency mining than any other U.S. state, according to economist Alex de Vries, the lead author of a February paper published in the scientific journal Joule.

He estimates the state's carbon footprint at 3.1 megatons of carbon dioxide a year, the equivalent of running 650,000 passenger vehicles, according to EPA estimates.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Goddamn we are all so loving dumb lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
at least we made a lot of ????

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Cloks posted:

Bored apes

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Cloks posted:

Not gonna lie, cool ranch Doritos were worth it

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
something like 90 tons of ancient plant life to make one gallon of gas

it would be happy to know it died for such things

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bedpan posted:

economic activity happens indoors so who cares what happens outside?

Do you remember the study this is from? I keep thinking about how stupid it was

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

Do you remember the study this is from? I keep thinking about how stupid it was

Nordhaus did that a lot but here’s the first time

https://academic.oup.com/ej/article-abstract/101/407/920/5188437?login=false

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Mola Yam posted:

something like 90 tons of ancient plant life to make one gallon of gas

it would be happy to know it died for such things

I hope to be as useful after my death - moving a ton of steel temporarily

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bedpan posted:

genius economist said that whatever happens outside the door of my climate controlled home or office is utterly irrelevant.

And they are right! On a personal level. Extend that thinking to an entire planet, like they did, and the problems quickly become apparent. That is, if you think there exists any value, any necessity, any resource outside of aristocrats sitting around polished table in an air-conditioned office.

Every experience of their life has proven their conceptions of society to be correct. Every aspect of the world around them, the risk/reward mechanisms, consequences good or bad, laws, or social norms, etc. again and again and again show the person who dismisses climate change as the outdoor temperature gaining a few degrees, and nothing more, is the smart and sensible one.

:nsa:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Doctor Jeep posted:

clicking an ad that says "come and see" and ending up on this thread's very own logorrheic's blog

in the beginning was the word

joe patmos posted:

And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see. And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

when is hell 2 opening?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

now thats a tight sphincter

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Complications posted:

quote:

It could cost Kentucky taxpayers about $9 million a year in lost tax revenue - though bitcoin proponents say that will be outweighed by the broader economic benefits the industry brings, such as jobs and out-of-state investment.

lol conservatives believing in multiplier effect but only when it destroys the environment

kater
Nov 16, 2010

yes the industrial revolution doomed the world but without it only like 1 in 10 of anyone would be alive so you probably wouldn’t have a voice to complain with.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

lollontee posted:

now thats a tight sphincter

That sphincter can fit 30 million people at once

I suppose that is still pretty tight for you though :smug:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ELTON JOHN posted:

lol conservatives believing in multiplier effect but only when it destroys the environment

Also you have to play pretend that there's such a thing as a bit coin job.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1504089808150347777
The Prez: Pwease Mistah oil man don't hurt the smol bean workerz

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

yes the industrial revolution doomed the world but without it only like 1 in 10 of anyone would be alive so you probably wouldn’t have a voice to complain with.

or we could of strictly controlled reproduction like Krypton!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you guys missed this other chart

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/rlomidgett/status/1503791878151426050

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lmao good luck with that

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Six Hundred and Twenty-Five Quadrillion Americans

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

kater posted:

how can you complain about climate change when you yourself are made of carbon? :smug:

you even exhale carbon dioxide, hypocrite :smug: :smug: :smug:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SplitSoul posted:

Six Hundred and Twenty-Five Quadrillion Americans

How do you measure,
Measure your fear?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

here we go again

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1504108357929644044

https://twitter.com/AbroadInJapan/status/1504107550223978509

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how close is the nearest nuclear plant?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blue ocean! blue ocean! blue ocean! blue ocean!

BLUE OCEAN!!!

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Emergency information No abnormalities (6th report) Impact of an earthquake off Fukushima Prefecture

http://kinkyu.nsr.go.jp/kinkyu/2022/03/post-78.html

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mediaphage posted:

blue ocean! blue ocean! blue ocean! blue ocean!

BLUE OCEAN!!!

its the ocean! its supposed to be blue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TeenageArchipelago posted:

its the ocean! its supposed to be blue!
but now it’s blue as in sad :smith: