Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Computer game goes on sale two or three times a year. I will disagree with the previous recommendation and say to get all the season passes too (on sale).
My point was just that you shouldn't let the Anno DLC price point scare you away from enjoying the base game. It's not like an old FFG board game where you need the expansions to fix all the problems in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone know of a way to pickup Nemesis expansions via Awaken Realms direct?

I'd rather not pay 4-500% markup if possible.

Edit: Specifically Aftermath

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 15, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
They have a bunch of Kickstarters out, maybe find a pledge manager that lets you add it?

I have Etherfields and ISS Vanguard backed from them and I think they either just launched or will soon launch a new project.

e: I assume you already contacted them directly

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The new Oink game Scout is really drat good, might dethrone Startups as the best Oink

E: i mean its a reprint of a previous game, not theirs, but still cant beat that form factor

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scout is incredible, yeah. Climbing game like tichu, with the can't reorder hand from bohnanza and wind the film!.

Instant hit the moment I learned it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Marvel is reimplementing Fantasy Realms

$20 usd is the RRP

PRADA SLUT posted:

e: I assume you already contacted them directly

Yeah I'll probably look into this.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Infinitum posted:

$20 usd is the RRP

I think there’s a Star Trek one too?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Infinitum posted:

$20 usd is the RRP

I was already on the fence about Fantasy Realms, but this'll push me over, since my kid is more into Marvel than fantasy.

If there's also a Star Trek one, good on the team for hitting a licensing bonanza.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Fantasy Realms is enjoyable filler* and it's perfect for licensing out to whoever since it's got like a hundred cards with pictures of people standing around, and an effect that you can squint at and say "oh yeah, that kind of makes sense".

*I believe, I may be thinking of another game, the name is kinda generic so I have trouble fixing it in my mind.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Without spoiling anything - if you wanna see just how hosed things can get in Nemesis check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rer4D32TR8

And it's only part 1 :allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Box art Quark is something I never thought I'd live to see

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think maskmen is still the best oink game, but scout is close. Really can’t beat the luchador masks… time to make a reskin

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just saw someone talking about Hamlet. Looks like a cute mish-mash of Roads & Boats and Keyflower. If this was me five years ago I would have mashed that PLEDGE button but now I'm a little more cautious, especially with how expensive it looks (~$77 CAD before shipping). Does anyone have any input about it? I love city/village building games and tile layers and what little I've read about it so far seems fairly positive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

Just saw someone talking about Hamlet. Looks like a cute mish-mash of Roads & Boats and Keyflower. If this was me five years ago I would have mashed that PLEDGE button but now I'm a little more cautious, especially with how expensive it looks (~$77 CAD before shipping). Does anyone have any input about it? I love city/village building games and tile layers and what little I've read about it so far seems fairly positive.

Yeah it’s a firm wait and try later with little incentive to back. Are they doing any digital versions to try?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Box art Quark is something I never thought I'd live to see

Even better, I believe that is box art Nog!

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Captain Theron posted:

Even better, I believe that is box art Nog!

I wanted it to be Quark but it's some random Ferengi from first-season TNG https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kazago

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm backing, but the thing to keep in mind is that there is 100% a retail version coming that will likely be cheaper - the KS version is for a fully blinged out copy.

I think it looks like a very neat tile laying worker placement game. I'm also in a position where I don't really want to add things to my collection unless I know I'll be playing it, and this will definitely see some mileage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crashbee posted:

I wanted it to be Quark but it's some random Ferengi from first-season TNG https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kazago

drat, turns out I'm Ferengi racist

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infinitum posted:

I'm also in a position where I don't really want to add things to my collection unless I know I'll be playing it, and this will definitely see some mileage.

How do you know either of those from a Kickstarter page?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It has a demo which I've tried, I watched several preview videos, and I know the style of games my players and myself like

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah it's got two digital implementations for trying it out, it's all right there in the ks page :raise:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Procedurally generated another batch of boardgames, this time with designer names:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Camel in Time sounds fun

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Santa Market Garden where you're all different Santa's trying to get the best presents for your kids, while making sure the other Santa's get coal.

Pretty sure I own Battle for the Hobbit

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
5 Minutes of Crime would be a fantastic lite filler game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I love the use of "quarrel" in Bunny X-Men. Just a rules argument, gamified.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's indistinguishable from real board games

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/358923/satans-war-buttoba-crash

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
First it said "Mr Walton will be fed to the stars", now we've advanced to "Mr Walton will be eaten next"

I am afraid of the third batch of generated games, afraid for Mr. Walton :ohdear:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I absolutely own Bus. I suppose it wouldn't be much of a random generator if it couldn't make existing games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Perhaps I am a bit late as this was 5 days ago but in serious news Victoria Mann is being sued by board game designer JR Honeycut for defamation. In November 2019, she game out with allegations of abuse in (read at your own risk and check the CWs, I have not read this recently so I can't say how difficult it might be) a medium post. This lead to a strong response from many parties throughout the industry including his former co-designers Gil Hova and Rob Daviau.

I admit, I either forgot about this or maybe even never heard it in the first place. Suffice it to say, I don't think this got the mindshare that the similar story of the Broken Token did, but it's no less important just because this person was less well known.

She has set up a GoFundMe for her legal defense if you want to help her.

Believe Women.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Camel in Time sounds fun

It's one of Madeleine L'Engle's lesser-known works, cool to see they've made a game from it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Perhaps I am a bit late as this was 5 days ago but in serious news Victoria Mann is being sued by board game designer JR Honeycut for defamation. In November 2019, she game out with allegations of abuse in (read at your own risk and check the CWs, I have not read this recently so I can't say how difficult it might be) a medium post. This lead to a strong response from many parties throughout the industry including his former co-designers Gil Hova and Rob Daviau.

I admit, I either forgot about this or maybe even never heard it in the first place. Suffice it to say, I don't think this got the mindshare that the similar story of the Broken Token did, but it's no less important just because this person was less well known.

She has set up a GoFundMe for her legal defense if you want to help her.

Believe Women.

It's a really disgusting situation to begin with, but the claim itself makes it even more disgusting. I'm no lawyer so I have no idea how it compares to similar suits but it reads as pretty strongly misogynistic and sex-shaming in ways that seem strange to me. Also it makes me even more mad that the statute of limitations on defamation suits in Florida is apparently 2 years, and this claim was filed one day short of two years after her Medium post, on the dot.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

It's a really disgusting situation to begin with, but the claim itself makes it even more disgusting. I'm no lawyer so I have no idea how it compares to similar suits but it reads as pretty strongly misogynistic and sex-shaming in ways that seem strange to me. Also it makes me even more mad that the statute of limitations on defamation suits in Florida is apparently 2 years, and this claim was filed one day short of two years after her Medium post, on the dot.

Generally one would file late because (1) logistically, it can take some time to spin things up finding a lawyer you trust to handle your case, and more significantly, (2) you want to point to your best estimate of damages, because you don't get to go back to court after the case is resolved and say "AND FURTHERMORE, incidents XYZ also happened, costing me $$$." That means letting the clock run so you catch all of it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

homullus posted:

Generally one would file late because (1) logistically, it can take some time to spin things up finding a lawyer you trust to handle your case, and more significantly, (2) you want to point to your best estimate of damages, because you don't get to go back to court after the case is resolved and say "AND FURTHERMORE, incidents XYZ also happened, costing me $$$." That means letting the clock run so you catch all of it.

Yeah that makes sense. I think there also may be the factor of him having "lost" a job at a cryptocurrency company in the last year after someone did a cursory search on him, and supposedly it lost him a six-figure salary and "untold additional compensation" after the coin's IPO :rolleyes: I feel like that might speak to the (seemingly very bad) decision to file this suit at all, but again, it's not like I really know anything about the legalities of defamation suits.

Is this the sort of claim that could be subject to anti-SLAPP laws?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

homullus posted:

It's one of Madeleine L'Engle's lesser-known works, cool to see they've made a game from it.

And due to the title text design, people argue over whether it's supposed to be called "Camel In Time" or "Camel Time"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow, Bus(2015) seems like a retro future mashup of Bus(1999) and Horseless Carriage(2022)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I think there also may be the factor of him having "lost" a job at a cryptocurrency company in the last year after someone did a cursory search on him, and supposedly it lost him a six-figure salary and "untold additional compensation" after the coin's IPO :rolleyes: I feel like that might speak to the (seemingly very bad) decision to file this suit at all, but again, it's not like I really know anything about the legalities of defamation suits.

Is this the sort of claim that could be subject to anti-SLAPP laws?

I'm not a lawyer and haven't read the complaint, but generally, anti-SLAPP laws are aimed at frivolous lawsuits that aim to "shut people up" by being expensive annoying bullshit that people can't handle. Anti-SLAPP laws vary from state to state and don't exist everywhere (there's no federal version). They often give the target of the forward action a path to quick dismissal if they can show that the issue was a matter of public concern, skipping straight to a free speech defense of sorts. The plaintiff may have to pay a penalty for their original lovely SLAPP suit.

You may recall that a judge decided that the defamation suit of fractious dipshit Zak S was subject to anti-SLAPP scrutiny, and the judge there concluded that that just because Mandy's original Facebook post was related to #MeToo didn't make it a public concern; that judge also cited cases where allegations of sexual misconduct did rise to the level of public concern, and thereby left a few bread crumbs for others to follow. So, is this new suit a SLAPP suit? That's going to be up to the judge. Also, that Zak stuff was Canada, so different cases; Canadian cases may not even be persuasive here, but the idea that sexual misconduct is public concern because/when it's somebody preying on a specific community is not crazy talk.

homullus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Finished Sleeping Gods. Stats:

15:53 over 8 sessions.
Ending #5
9 totems
145 points

Didn't play on Hardcore (for the extra 25 points), but never came close to losing anyway. You would have to be pretty terrible to lose in this game, maybe if you were playing with kids or something, or if you just couldn't conceive of how to optimize combat? It's really easy once you get a small semblance of an engine going and like two decent weapons.

Overall, one of the better "read stories from a book" games. Could probably get another two plays out of it to get through all the content. I wish there was a modernized Tales of the Arabian Nights that followed this formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Finished Sleeping Gods. Stats:

15:53 over 8 sessions.
Ending #5
9 totems
145 points

Didn't play on Hardcore (for the extra 25 points), but never came close to losing anyway. You would have to be pretty terrible to lose in this game, maybe if you were playing with kids or something, or if you just couldn't conceive of how to optimize combat? It's really easy once you get a small semblance of an engine going and like two decent weapons.

Overall, one of the better "read stories from a book" games. Could probably get another two plays out of it to get through all the content. I wish there was a modernized Tales of the Arabian Nights that followed this formula.

I'm on my third session (probably playing 1-2ish hours per game, we just finished the event deck for the first time) and find myself enjoying the game more and more. Combat is absolutely brutal without extra weapons, though - the fews times we've hit the market we haven't had anywhere near the coin needed for a better weapon.