Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
We're already almost to the goal of having the Professor explain how magnets work.

People, please buy the deck box, it's been thirteen years since this question was posed to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1504144136286326790?s=21

Of interest to many ITT, he’s just giving everyone a separate autograph instead because of the Early Bird Snaffu. I don’t think anyone thought he wouldn’t try to make things right, but holy cow, is Prof really just the Mr. Rogers of MtG? Just a genuinely smart, good, kind, jolly, clever, funny person who cares? And isn’t some kind of crypto-racist pervert? He honesty feels like a magic player from another dimension where we aren’t trash.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Also I wouldn't expect any stretch goals to add too much product or anything about that since he was very forthright about how focused he was on making a good product and avoiding the pitfalls that come with a lot of kickstarter campaigns.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Different colors is way, way more complicated than I think a lot of people are expecting. I’d be pretty surprised if they could do that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bust Rodd posted:

Different colors is way, way more complicated than I think a lot of people are expecting. I’d be pretty surprised if they could do that.

He specifically called it out as a thing they're doing in the launch video. There's going to be a vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOpoOpQag4&t=181s

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s really good news!

Also to clarify because I had questions about this from a simple “is this even physically possible” standpoint

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1504157430074150914?s=21

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
This is the only kickstarter I've ever backed. I'm stoked personally and on behalf of the Professor. The stache better be legit.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Bust Rodd posted:

Of interest to many ITT, he’s just giving everyone a separate autograph instead because of the Early Bird Snaffu. I don’t think anyone thought he wouldn’t try to make things right, but holy cow, is Prof really just the Mr. Rogers of MtG? Just a genuinely smart, good, kind, jolly, clever, funny person who cares? And isn’t some kind of crypto-racist pervert? He honesty feels like a magic player from another dimension where we aren’t trash.

I don’t really get how including a card with his signature printed on it is worth gushing over. IMO it’s pretty lame that he isn’t signing any of the boxes either just adding a foil printout to them. 2,000 boxes is a lot to sign but it’s hardly an impossible quantity.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LeafHouse posted:

I don’t really get how including a card with his signature printed on it is worth gushing over. IMO it’s pretty lame that he isn’t signing any of the boxes either just adding a foil printout to them. 2,000 boxes is a lot to sign but it’s hardly an impossible quantity.

More than likely it's a logistical aspect, you would need 2k of compleated (heh) Academic boxes shipped over to where he is for him to sign each individually, and then repackaged and sent out to the lucky fuckers that got one, OR you fly him out to wherever they're manufactured or being held before shipped en masse for him to sign and then packaged up and sent off to be stuck in a shipping channel for a few months.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

More than likely it's a logistical aspect, you would need 2k of compleated (heh) Academic boxes shipped over to where he is for him to sign each individually, and then repackaged and sent out to the lucky fuckers that got one, OR you fly him out to wherever they're manufactured or being held before shipped en masse for him to sign and then packaged up and sent off to be stuck in a shipping channel for a few months.

Yeah, I’m sure the logistics are troublesome but Seb manages to sign 10,000 backers worth of items on his Kickstarter so it’s clearly doable. It’s just annoying to see him being lauded for what is (outside of the design portion) a pretty low effort Kickstarter. Hopefully he’ll add some nice perks for future goals but after hitting 22x the original goal all we’ve unlocked is him with a mustache and a couple of tokens.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You seem to be missing/totally ignoring the context of Kickstarter loving up and crashing and leaving thousands of us floundering for over an hour wondering if we even pledged or not. Lots of fans wanted the autograph because we care, we couldn’t get it because of something completely out of the Profs hands, and he’s making it right WITHOUT giving himself carpal tunnel.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

You seem to be missing/totally ignoring the context of Kickstarter loving up and crashing and leaving thousands of us floundering for over an hour wondering if we even pledged or not. Lots of fans wanted the autograph because we care, we couldn’t get it because of something completely out of the Profs hands, and he’s making it right WITHOUT giving himself carpal tunnel.

I mean, it’s just an embossed signature printed onto the box so he could actually make it right by simply increasing the quantity of “signed” boxes to meet demand.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jiro posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tolarian/the-academic-133-xl?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=The%20Academic

Stretch goals, at least the cleared ones, revealed. I'm curious as to what kind of stache Prof will be wearing and for how long. I really want some color options.

Either Lemmystache, or the Hollywood Hogan route of having an all black beard save for bleach blonde handlebar mustache

Stache-off contest with Ryan Gomez of Magic Arcanum

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I like the Prof, but many of the stretch goals so far seem a little silly. I think maybe he spread out any of the decent stretch goals too far over various aspects (social media stretch goals, monetary goals etc). I don’t care too much one way or the other because what I care about is getting a well-designed deckbox, but from a fairly neutral standpoint these rewards are kinda uninspired.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
... why does that matter? This is a deck box. It's designed by a guy who makes his living reviewing deck boxes. His goal was to design and sell a deck box. Why does it need a bunch of random kickstarter junk added in? The stretch goals aren't in the "redesign the product" realm because that's usually dumb and makes things more difficult. It's literally just "this is a deck box, this is how you buy my deck box" with silly things added on top because that fits his whole schtick.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Aranan posted:

... why does that matter? This is a deck box. It's designed by a guy who makes his living reviewing deck boxes. His goal was to design and sell a deck box. Why does it need a bunch of random kickstarter junk added in? The stretch goals aren't in the "redesign the product" realm because that's usually dumb and makes things more difficult. It's literally just "this is a deck box, this is how you buy my deck box" with silly things added on top because that fits his whole schtick.

It doesn’t really matter to me. Like I said, I’m in this for the $45 deck box. Just offering my opinion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think he planned for extravagant stretch goals because he has Imposter Syndrome and legitimately expected to make about 50k. He made such a big deal about sticking the costs and keeping fees low, Incant imagine he would do all that and then write a second separate budget for money he didn’t plan on having.

This much money up front really moves the needle on what he can offer.

I sure hope they offer some kind of turquoise!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think he planned for extravagant stretch goals because he has Imposter Syndrome and legitimately expected to make about 50k.

100% what I was thinking too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think he planned for extravagant stretch goals because he has Imposter Syndrome and legitimately expected to make about 50k. He made such a big deal about sticking the costs and keeping fees low, Incant imagine he would do all that and then write a second separate budget for money he didn’t plan on having.

This much money up front really moves the needle on what he can offer.

I sure hope they offer some kind of turquoise!

Mahogany Brown with subtle scents of leather and pipe tobacco. :colbert:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Jiro posted:

Mahogany Brown with subtle scents of leather and pipe tobacco. :colbert:

Elbow patches on each box corner.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TotalHell posted:

Elbow patches on each box corner.

This guy gets it. He's a Professor after all! A really awful plaid color combination would also be acceptable.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Now that Prof has his perfect deck box, he needs to work with Dragon Shield to design the perfect sleeves

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Now that Prof has his perfect deck box, he needs to work with Dragon Shield to design the perfect sleeves

But the matte duals are already perfect!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

But the matte duals are already perfect!

Almost. While they're my sleeves of choice for general purchase, I have always felt they're just a bit too tall. Katanas are just that little bit shorter and fit a double-sleeved card perfectly.

But if we're on the subject of double sleeving, their sealable inner sleeves are a fuckin chef's kiss. Perfect.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

Almost. While they're my sleeves of choice for general purchase, I have always felt they're just a bit too tall. Katanas are just that little bit shorter and fit a double-sleeved card perfectly.

But if we're on the subject of double sleeving, their sealable inner sleeves are a fuckin chef's kiss. Perfect.

I haven't tried their sealable inners, but I do love me some KMC Perfect Hard sleeves.

If you're looking for slightly shorter outer sleeves, have you taken a look at Gamegenic sleeves? I bought a ton of their Prime Matte Clear sleeves for the Arkham Horror LCG and I noticed they're just a smidgen shorter than Dragon Shield sleeves.

E:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://strawpoll.com/polls/ajnENq2akgW

Prof put up a poll for alt colors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykU-eK7bz8&t=2477s

I time stamped this Command Zone video because it talks about how the syntax in Scryfall works! I had no idea it could do that.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 17, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

https://strawpoll.com/polls/ajnENq2akgW

Prof put up a poll for alt colors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykU-eK7bz8&t=2477s

I time stamped this Command Zone video because it talks about how the syntax in Scryfall works! I had no idea it could do that.

I like B and C, but I'd be concerned with white getting dirty over time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The original black and purple is definitely my favorite. I'd also worry about white getting dull with time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

White and purple looks like it's Frieza themed, lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Batterypowered7 posted:

White and purple looks like it's Frieza themed, lol

yeah, uh, like, that’s exactly why it deserves to win. It’s the only deck box strong enough to contain your most nuclear powered deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I voted for C, but a bunch of BORING LAME-Os voted for A instead.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tolarian/the-academic-133-xl/posts/3457323

Magnet Video unlocked (hopefully with full Lemmystache and co done with Kyle Hill or at the very least Shaggy 2 Dope)

I'm curious as to what the "Faculty Package" is. Maybe a coffee mug and tiny bottle of booze of your choice?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Am I the only one who fuckin hates Kyle Hill? He's loud and cringey and he gets really mad when he's not winning the center of attention

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Am I the only one who fuckin hates Kyle Hill? He's loud and cringey and he gets really mad when he's not winning the center of attention

You can dislike his content all you like, fair enough, but I'll assume you are not aware that he is Autistic / has Asperger's syndrome and is just trying to live his life.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ignite Memories posted:

I love his science videos but I would probably refuse to play Magic with him IRL, he does seem a bit irritating to spellsling with

Fellblade posted:

You can dislike his content all you like, fair enough, but I'll assume you are not aware that he is Autistic / has Asperger's syndrome and is just trying to live his life.

The video he put out about not realizing he was Autistic until like 3 years ago, well into adulthood and post his graduate studies, was really inspiring and I think everyone should watch it, it literally helped me with I be a better friend to my best pal who is himself autistic

https://youtu.be/bgV26ol51UM

I think a lot of nerds reflexively hate him for being such a hunk, but he’s deeply anti-social and literally never went to a single party or had a single date in college, his nerd bonafides are rock solid

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I voted A. While it would get dull and dingy over time, i feel like that would add to the charm of owning it for so long and having good quality that it's still worth using.

E: also RE: Sleeve talk, I really want to like Dragon Shields but they are so finicky. they look gorgeous for like 5 minutes and then instantly get scratched just from shuffling. they're also kinda dirt magnets.

I prefer the Ultra Pro Eclipses, but they're so limited on colors it's painful.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 18, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm lucky enough to have some Fantasy Flight art sleeves just right after they discontinued the Arkham Horror set, the art on them is super good for MTG especially when running Dimir, or Rakdos, Golgari, or mono Black. But man can they be really slippery. poo poo even Dragon Shield mattes can be really slippery at times.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

I voted A. While it would get dull and dingy over time, i feel like that would add to the charm of owning it for so long and having good quality that it's still worth using.

E: also RE: Sleeve talk, I really want to like Dragon Shields but they are so finicky. they look gorgeous for like 5 minutes and then instantly get scratched just from shuffling. they're also kinda dirt magnets.

I prefer the Ultra Pro Eclipses, but they're so limited on colors it's painful.

Someone in this thread made this exact statement about Katana sleeves, which also look great and have good shuffle feel. I do remember the non-matte Dragon Shields getting really dirty, really quickly way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really hate Lynch just on principle because he revealed that Prof gifted him an Academic box on his show.