Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You can glide in a tornado? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Sad they didn’t fix the rebel camp that my progress is stuck on. Really hoping they get to it before I finish all the others.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Wait you can glide inside a tornado?

Yeah. I thought for a while that’s how you got the “glide for x time” trophy but I couldn’t manage it there. Actually had to do it legit by going to the top of your base mountain and glide off to the northeast towards Plainsong.

Main issue I had was that after getting an upglide from the tornado the glider just disappeared. Think that even happens if you don’t reach the theoretical high limit for the glider, may be the storm just kills stamina to prevent cheesing flight for a while.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Would be more motivating if metal flower/firegleam loot occassionally had machine parts frequently used for legendary upgrades (at least for some in the late-game regions of the game). The hearts and stuff are always the ones for selling or lower-tier gear, have not come across any that are used for upgrading legendaries. And since you are rarely short on shards after a certain point in the game i mostly ignore them unless they happen to be on the way.

Two marked behemoth convoy sites finally appeared in the stillsands. Wonder what finally triggered it, were missing even postgame, only thing different since then is completing a bunch of sidequests and errands.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 16, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found the metal flowers and firegleam to be rather boring mechanics that are just artificial barriers. I also didn't like that you the glider isn't really used that often in the game. Its a really cool visually and interesting but it kind of just gets underused.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I do wonder if the shield was going to be an addition to the melee combat and ended up getting cut, leaving only the glider function.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Must admit I cackled like a child when I unlocked flying mounts, it's a shame a bunch of the quests you pick up spoil that it's going to be A Thing later in the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThomasPaine posted:

Must admit I cackled like a child when I unlocked flying mounts, it's a shame a bunch of the quests you pick up spoil that it's going to be A Thing later in the game.

The launch trailer all but gave it away and a few gameplay trailers had it on the item bar so they weren't exactly keeping it close to the chest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wonder how they’ll handle that in NG+. Seems like there a lot of things you could break by just having immediate access to it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ultimate Mango posted:

You can glide in a tornado? Wow.

Coming hot off of Just Cause 4, it's the first thing I tried when I saw a twister.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder how they’ll handle that in NG+. Seems like there a lot of things you could break by just having immediate access to it.

I suspect that the story unlock abilities will re-lock on starting NG+. Most of those missions would just be nonsensical otherwise.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Like with other stuff. You still have to redo cauldrons, tallnecks etc and i guess sunwings are no different. Would be nice though.

I hope there wont be any new adept gear equivalent in NG+. Enemies remain the same, but with maxed out skills,current gear and techniques/surges you are already at least as OP as you were in HZD with adept stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I would like it if they brought every single outfit and weapon up to legendary level in NG+ so you could just wear whatever you wanted without totally gimping yourself for stats.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Or at least a transmog for the outfits. Nora Thunder warrior is perfect as it is legit one of the best outfits while at the same time one of the best looking ones. But i also use the winterweave a bunch because it makes stealth so good but imo one of the uglier outfits. And some of the best-looking outfits are purple or green.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Transmog and loadouts would be fantastic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That Oseram outfit you can get in Chainscrape is so dope, Aloy is a true working class hero.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't sell any armour because they all look cool in their own way and I might want to use them for photo mode. Also with a different dye job an armour can look radically different.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Transmog and loadouts would be fantastic.

I have a friend who argues against transmog in games and I just do not get it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I've gotten full marks on all Hunting Grounds, so the only thing remaining for plat is to beat the three Tenakth melee circles and the Enduring. Which I guess means actually learning how to melee properly.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hollismason posted:

I found the metal flowers and firegleam to be rather boring mechanics that are just artificial barriers. I also didn't like that you the glider isn't really used that often in the game. Its a really cool visually and interesting but it kind of just gets underused.

my game design read on it is they're a lazy way to encourage you to explore the map because the meaningful collectables (drones, black boxes, etc.) are pretty limited in number. their secondary purpose is providing yet another stream of shard income, and two goddamn jumpscares where a loving ravager pops out of the cave

idk why they gated them behind story missions though, since you have to backtrack for some and i don't think they ever block more than a goody vault on the main map; you don't find new areas with them

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Some spawns seem more, i dunno how to call it, more "scripted". Normally with best infiltrator outfit and skills you can sneak up to any machine and are only seen if you are facing them pretty close. But there are a couple of sites were you are always spotted no matter what from very far away. Like the tideripper near a certain mansion and the stormbird perching high up on the golden gate bridge. Like a quest ambush encounter.

Metal flowers i didnt put much effort to backtrack, i did do it with firegleam as it was earlier in the game where its loot had more uses. By the time you can unlock metal flowers, youre likely limiting resources are higher-end machine parts that flower caches dont provide. Or at least for me on normal. Should have put poems in them like in HZD :)

Btw, Shock status seems to get removed after hitting the machine (or is it after removing/destroying a part)?, before the "timer" runs out. Was it like that in HZD? From what i remember it stayed shocked until timer ran out no matter how much you hit it. Somewhat of a nerf, but still effective for destroying hard to hit components and get a breather. Perhaps in a similar vein to ropecaster nerfs, cant make it to easy. Although it started already in frozen wilds with how short ropes worked on fireclaw.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 17, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I really miss the non-military voice logs, cool another plane getting shot down, where's our fun road trip adventures?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I couldn't find the way to the metal flower in Tilda's mansion but I fell through a gap in the floor and was still able to get the chests inside, had to fast travel out because I was stuck inside though

Also last night (before the patch), I fast traveled to a shelter and it spawned me inside of the campfire so all I could do was roll around inside the logs and I had to use it to fast travel out of it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Checking off stuff for trophies and man these combat pit challenges kinda suck.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ThomasPaine posted:

I really miss the non-military voice logs, cool another plane getting shot down, where's our fun road trip adventures?

This (the lack of voice/text logs) is my biggest flaw with the game. All the emergent story telling that made the first game such a treat to explore is just missing here. Where are my Concrete Beach Parties? Faro’s Tomb is the only main quest that really invoked this for me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The audio logs really did it for me in H:ZD as well. I remember this one you encounter towards the end of the game (I think it was from one of the inventors/engineers/etc. at Faro Automated Solutions) that's something like, "We could do anything. We could do anything." The way the VA changes their tone from pride in the first sentence to guilt in the second is brilliant.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah im missing it too :(

Feels like HZD gave a better snapshot of old ones everyday stuff. They did not outdo themselves with the Vistas this time. Old world felt more lifelike i think.

As well as the dilemmas gripping the various old world characters in voice logs. Gave a better feel.
Conversely the present day tribal world is better done compared to HZD. Tom Peach's and Ronsons logs were pretty gripping. And Ron Felder freak-out resonated, feels like i would react similarly where i grabbed for the zero dawn project.

And speaking of outfits, in terms of looks, in general i find the Utaru ones the worst-looking, the Nora and Carja the best, and tenakth a bit hit or miss, some great ones, some ugly ones.
To bad the winterweave is the most OP infiltrator outfit, wish it could trade stats with the Nora Tracker.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 17, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klungar posted:

This (the lack of voice/text logs) is my biggest flaw with the game. All the emergent story telling that made the first game such a treat to explore is just missing here. Where are my Concrete Beach Parties? Faro’s Tomb is the only main quest that really invoked this for me.

Yeah, even the Ornament ones are just kinda :nallears:. Maybe they could've littered the map with preparation for the Odyssey's launch with notes from various Far Zenith members, similar to Project Zero Dawn in the first game? Give a bit of insight into what happened leading up to its launch and the people we're now trying to stop in the lead-up to them departing Earth.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I've got like 58 rocks now, dope

Also, Gemini -- twins -- duh, i get it now

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
They should have just not had old world datapoints in this one except for the ones in main story areas. HZD was about the old world, FW is about the new one.*

*I’m only 70% or so through the story so this could be a totally nonsensical statement

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nichael posted:

I love FW, but I think fighting isn't as enjoyable for the opposite reasons. It feels too easy, and enemies are particularly dumb about piecing together where I am when in stealth. I don't know if it is easier, or if I'm just better at Horizon than I was when I started ZD, and got my rear end kicked repeatedly. Dodge definitely seems too powerful in both games.

Fighting is definitely too easy in FW. You can easily run away and regroup and the damage machines too is pretty minimal if you get yourself in a bad spot.

It's just tedious and boring. Not sure why they thought the 3 second knockdown animation was something people want in a battle. Or the random things enemies can do things (like scream) that freeze you with no defense. I'd rather the enemies be smarter, do more damage, but allow the player to dodge/defend better. Right now it's just fire away on a bullet sponge, take a drink of water when you're in that knockdown animation and can't play, then go back to firing away until they knock you down again. No real strategy or effort involved. Every enemy is more or less the same.

I don't know why they got rid of that double jump dive. It at least gave you a cool defense that was fun to use.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I love the glider. I know it's not used much in missions, but it's a fun way to get around sometimes.

Agree on the metal flowers and fireglam. I feel like there was a directive from the company to make beef up the playtime of the game. Just so much useless filler content. Oh push a crate around for 20 minutes and get an ornament, that's fun. And good lord, the dialogue in this is written like a high schooler had to fill a 10,000 word essay and only had 3000 words of content. I just started skipping like half the conversations and it's so much easier.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Close to the platinum. Only Hunting Grounds, Gauntlet Runs, The Enduring and the Glide left. Melee pit challenges are the worst. Tap a button early or late or too long and start the whole thing over. Dumb. When I get to the pit boss I just button mash R1 and R2 while dodging attacks and they go down in the allotted time. I'm sure tHe EnDuRiNg will wipe the floor with me, but we'll see.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The melee pit challenges are really poorly explained. Generally when they end with R1 and then the next attack chain begins with hitting R1, they actually want you to HOLD the button so the attacks link right into each other.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Falukorv posted:

Metal flowers i didnt put much effort to backtrack, i did do it with firegleam as it was earlier in the game where its loot had more uses. By the time you can unlock metal flowers, youre likely limiting resources are higher-end machine parts that flower caches dont provide. Or at least for me on normal. Should have put poems in them like in HZD :)

fancy machine parts are what you need for actual upgrades, but they're essentially trivial to acquire: you go to the machine site and shoot them off. widemaw tusks excepted, this is usually pretty much trivial. ammo resources, by comparison, usually drop less frequently than you use them, and you need to make that up in shards to buy more off merchants, unless you hate your life and want to fight everything using basic-rear end hunter arrows. parts you can shoot off, grab, and run away, but apex hearts you just need to expend gobs of ammo.

afaik there's no effective sustainable means of farming shards in the game, so the biggest source of them is vendor trash, which is far more valuable per unit than resources or machine parts (i am mad that i have like 30 fanghorn antlers and 25 burrower circulators, and the lot is worth like 200 shards total). this works fine most of the game when you're fed a constant stream of vendor trash, but towards the end they dry up and buying onions bankrupts you (seriously onions are overpriced af)

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I couldn't find the way to the metal flower in Tilda's mansion but I fell through a gap in the floor and was still able to get the chests inside, had to fast travel out because I was stuck inside though

you, i, and at least one of the streamers ive watched have done this exact same thing lol. Guerilla can try and stop us from parkouring through the level geometry, but we will defeat them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To upgrade all my legendary gear I eventually had to start selling off actual machine parts, not just the vendor trash. The good news is that by that point of the game you probably have something like 17 Apex
Clawstrider hearts and 29 Fanghorn Circulators in your inventory that you can definitely stand to part with. Medium and large machine cores also go for a lot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like using the Boltblaster against human enemies. They almost always go down in a single full burst of advanced normal ammo from my legendary Boltblaster. It's also just fun to run into the guy who has a machine gun and be like "got my own machine gun :hehe:"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Yeah im missing it too :(

Feels like HZD gave a better snapshot of old ones everyday stuff. They did not outdo themselves with the Vistas this time. Old world felt more lifelike i think.

As well as the dilemmas gripping the various old world characters in voice logs. Gave a better feel.
Conversely the present day tribal world is better done compared to HZD. Tom Peach's and Ronsons logs were pretty gripping. And Ron Felder freak-out resonated, feels like i would react similarly where i grabbed for the zero dawn project.

the change in writing staff really shows in the raw text entries. didn’t they lose John Gonzalez?

it’s almost insulting that we have a whole set of audiologs gushing about loving las vegas, one of the worst cities on earth from an environmentalist perspective

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao if you stick around after fixing the land gods it continues the boot-up sounds as the people continue singing along, but the boot-up sounds sound progressively more and more like hosed up modem sounds

edit: I've been sitting here for like 5 minutes and it keeps making different sounds

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

the change in writing staff really shows in the raw text entries. didn’t they lose John Gonzalez?

it’s almost insulting that we have a whole set of audiologs gushing about loving las vegas, one of the worst cities on earth from an environmentalist perspective

To be fair They're about fixing the environmental disaster that was Las Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm looking at the various upgraded valor surges, and the maxed out Melee one says "Power attacks knock down enemies"

Does that mean a 100% chance of knocking down with a single power attack? Against any enemy? That's kinda nuts if so. It also says it permanently energizes your weapon, which presumably means you can just repeatedly put the charge on them and detonate it.