Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it Pa only ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Is it Pa only ?

I can’t speak for all fifty states, but in the three in which I’ve lived and purchased auto insurance, I don’t recall any such strata of limitations. (TX, FL, HI)

I’m guessing that the policies that allow you to sue for everything cost more.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
NJ has similar limitations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

NOTICE TO NAMED INSUREDS
A. “Limited Tort” Option—The laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania give you the right to choose a form of insurance that limits your right and the right of members of your household to seek financial compensation for injuries caused by other drivers. Under this form of insurance, you and other household members covered under this policy may seek recovery for all medical and other out-of-pocket expenses, but not for pain and suffering or other nonmonetary damages unless the injuries suffered fall within the definition of “serious injury” as set forth in the policy or unless one of several other exceptions noted in the policy applies. The annual premium for basic coverage as required by law under this “limited tort” option is $ .
Additional coverages under this option are available at additional cost.
B. “Full Tort” Option—The laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania also give you the right to choose a form of insurance under which you maintain an unrestricted right for you and the members of your household to seek financial compensation for injuries caused by other drivers. Under this form of insurance, you and other household members covered under this policy may seek recovery for all medical and other out-of-pocket expenses and may also seek financial compensation for pain and suffering and other nonmonetary damages as a result of injuries caused by other drivers. The annual premium for basic coverage as required by law under this “full tort” option is $ .
Additional coverages under this option are available at additional cost.

Why does this exist? Why not assume full tort?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The full tort insurance is more expensive, I think for me at least $1000 a year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Isn't the question: Why on earth do you need insurance to sue someone else for something they did?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is it that duty to defend thing, your own insurance company has a more costly, longer lawsuit to pursue?

Because it sounds almost like a "well if you weren't willing to pay more for insurance to cover injuries you might cause someone else, why should everyone else have to cover the injuries you could have predicted you might get" sort of tit-for-tat bullshit that in practice actually just punishes the poor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The stratified policies and recovery options is an example of tort reform in action. If it doesn't make sense and it seems like it was designed to gently caress over consumers so that insurance companies would have to pay out less, you've figured out the goals of tort reform!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leperflesh posted:

Is it that duty to defend thing, your own insurance company has a more costly, longer lawsuit to pursue?

Because it sounds almost like a "well if you weren't willing to pay more for insurance to cover injuries you might cause someone else, why should everyone else have to cover the injuries you could have predicted you might get" sort of tit-for-tat bullshit that in practice actually just punishes the poor.

Ding ding ding

Save $500 a year or whatever on insurance, but you can't recover enough to make you whole if something awful happens

I wonder which product poor people will be forced to use

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

On car insurance chat I have a hypothetical.

Say driver A hits driver B. A is at fault for sure. Driver B was not wearing a seatbelt and got hurt as expensively as possible.

Would the lack of a seatbelt offer any kind of defense for driver A?

Would it make a difference if there was a passenger in driver Bs car that was wearing a seatbelt and was uninjured?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

honda whisperer posted:

Depends on the state: https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SEAT-BELT-DEFENSE-CHART.pdf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

honda whisperer posted:

On car insurance chat I have a hypothetical.

Say driver A hits driver B. A is at fault for sure. Driver B was not wearing a seatbelt and got hurt as expensively as possible.

Would it make a difference if there was a passenger in driver Bs car that was wearing a seatbelt and was uninjured?

This is exactly what I was thinking of earlier when I typed up this scenario:

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the insurance company does not offer policy limits, and instead B demands policy limits, things shift. For example, A’s lawyer says injuries to B’s passenger were caused by their own actions, so they refuse to pay more than $50k for B. If this goes to trial and the jury finds that B was entitled to $250k from A, then the insurance company for A will have to pay our the full judgment because they did not accept a good faith settlement offer.

In that post I had the jury award $250k. In Florida, if the jury finds, however, the 50% of the plaintiff's injuries were caused by the plaintiff not wearing the seatbelt, the judgment would be reduced by 50% and the party would only be awarded $125k.

For an egregious example of this, take Gregory Hill Jr. He was murdered by police in his garage. They arrived at his house because of a noise complaint from neighbors. He told the cops to buzz off and shut his garage door on them. They fired through the door, killing him. He had an unloaded gun in his back pocket according to police. The jury found Hill 99% at fault and the cop 1%. They awarded each of his kids $1 for their loss, which was reduced 99% to 1 penny each.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Nice! posted:

In that post I had the jury award $250k. In Florida, if the jury finds, however, the 50% of the plaintiff's injuries were caused by the plaintiff not wearing the seatbelt, the judgment would be reduced by 50% and the party would only be awarded $125k.

Except for that exact fact pattern, many states specifically preclude presenting evidence about non-use of seatbelts, per this handy chart.

You take your victim as you find him :colbert:

Also, LOL if you live in a contributory negligence state

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Devor posted:

Except for that exact fact pattern, many states specifically preclude presenting evidence about non-use of seatbelts, per this handy chart.

You take your victim as you find him :colbert:

Also, LOL if you live in a contributory negligence state

That's why I specified in FL. Florida sucks so god damned bad.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

-snip-

For an egregious example of this, take Gregory Hill Jr. He was murdered by police in his garage. They arrived at his house because of a noise complaint from neighbors. He told the cops to buzz off and shut his garage door on them. They fired through the door, killing him. He had an unloaded gun in his back pocket according to police. The jury found Hill 99% at fault and the cop 1%. They awarded each of his kids $1 for their loss, which was reduced 99% to 1 penny each.

Jeeeesus

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Appeals court tossed the $4 judgement out in 2020 which is about the most recent news article I can find. Don't know if there was a retrial planned, I'm guessing that Covid threw a wrench in everything.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Appeals court tossed the $4 judgement out in 2020 which is about the most recent news article I can find. Don't know if there was a retrial planned, I'm guessing that Covid threw a wrench in everything.

Checked on PACER and the retrial is scheduled for May.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It seems like PACER should be something that's publicly accessible, at least for criminal cases. :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I had just looked that up myself. It looks like the reason the original trial was tossed is the judge allowed the defense to make a big deal about the fact that he was on probation which neither cop knew until after he was murdered.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lawyers have docket access and if you are at a point when you need to look at a docket you should probably be or have a lawyer

So making them free doesn’t really serve a function. Imho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It seems like PACER should be something that's publicly accessible, at least for criminal cases. :(

Agreed. You can use the courtlistener recap archive to look at a lot of things for free, though!

In FL you can generally access anyone's criminal court records for free.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Call your Senator/Rep and ask them to support the Open Courts Act (S2614/HR5844).

PACER fees have basically become the judiciary slush fund; it should be free to all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Free access to courts is horrifying.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Free access to courts is horrifying.

A number of states already have free access to records, and the only result is you hear a little more crazy poo poo in the news for some criminal cases.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

So just to expand on this - anyone can request a PACER account, it isn’t limited to lawyers. (ECF is different but that’s only needed if you’re actually filing papers.)

The problem is that PACER charges extremely excessive fees - $0.10 per page of each document retrieved, plus 0.10 per page of search results/docket entries/etc. If your usage is under $30 per quarter you don’t have to pay, but it’s real easy to rack up more than 30 bucks just looking at one case.

It’s a huge problem for researchers (you can in theory get fee waivers but it’s a huge PITA and fairly limited) and for public interest organizations with limited budgets. But it’s also just offensive to say that the records of the law shouldn’t be freely accessible to the public.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I already refer as many clients to the public index with their "I was just calling to see if there were any updates" questions as I possibly can.

Five hundred clients x one percent of them calling on any given day "just to check in" == never getting a goddam single thing done, ever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

10c is excessive now that the courts are not doing as much scanning

When they had to scan everything It made more sense

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If you all ever decide gently caress lawyering you would probably make excellent insurance sales people. Brb looking at umbrella policies again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Insurance is such a scam. It is required by law for so much stuff yet the providers are private ?? And frequently gently caress up their investments and get bailed out or don’t have the money to cover loses and get bailed out .

There are some public insurance schemes tho in the USA

Edit

Not to mention routinely denying valid claims just to make insureds “work for it “

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s been almost 20 years of near-universal electronic filing. That excuse no longer flies.

But if they lose their PACER fees, the courts wouldn’t get to illegally use the fees on fancy A/V equipment for their courtrooms. They might have to actually ask Congress to appropriate funds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

honda whisperer posted:

If you all ever decide gently caress lawyering you would probably make excellent insurance sales people. Brb looking at umbrella policies again.

If you don't already have it, make sure you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your auto insurance, as well. That way when someone with a bare minimum liability policy puts you into the hospital, you're not stuck footing the bill yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On the topic of scanning, when I need old records that are no longer available online and have to ask the clerk to dig out the microfiche, I don't mind paying for that. Even still, most times they'll do it and email a pdf to you with zero charge and only bill for certified copies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dearly hope every member of that jury is haunted non-stop for the rest of their lives. There's 'well here's what the law says we can do' and then there's going out of your way to be cruel about it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Does anyone know about employer drug testing laws in Canada, BC specifically? The company I work for has a customer that requires any contractors on site to have completed basically a pre employment fitness test, and that includes a drug screen, so the handful of us who could potentially be sent to that site are being sent for it. But like, random drug testing isn't legal outside of a few circumstances, and so how is arbitrarily picking employees to test any different? As far as I know there are no plans to send me there, and it would in fact be extremely impractical to do so until the end of summer. Do I have a leg to stand on to refuse it? If anyone has any resources indicating one way or another that would be great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If a trial says Call 9/16/22 (friday) and Trial 9/19/22 (monday) and 4 day jury am I probably gonna need to be there Friday or not until Monday? I assume Monday? its out of town so I don't want to spend a weekend in a hotel if I don't have to.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you don't already have it, make sure you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your auto insurance, as well. That way when someone with a bare minimum liability policy puts you into the hospital, you're not stuck footing the bill yourself.

That I do have already but I appreciate you looking out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EKDS5k posted:

Does anyone know about employer drug testing laws in Canada, BC specifically? The company I work for has a customer that requires any contractors on site to have completed basically a pre employment fitness test, and that includes a drug screen, so the handful of us who could potentially be sent to that site are being sent for it. But like, random drug testing isn't legal outside of a few circumstances, and so how is arbitrarily picking employees to test any different? As far as I know there are no plans to send me there, and it would in fact be extremely impractical to do so until the end of summer. Do I have a leg to stand on to refuse it? If anyone has any resources indicating one way or another that would be great.

I don’t know BC law, but having worked for a similar company in Quebec, the drug test is usually conditional to admission to site and they can bar you from site for any reason they want. What your employer does after that though idk, but they can’t use you on that particular contract.

Since weed is legal though most companies have switched to targeted cheek swabs.

Natural resource companies don’t gently caress around with drugs and alcohol and medical screenings at remote camps, because it gets really ugly otherwise.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

FrozenVent posted:

I don’t know BC law, but having worked for a similar company in Quebec, the drug test is usually conditional to admission to site and they can bar you from site for any reason they want. What your employer does after that though idk, but they can’t use you on that particular contract.

Since weed is legal though most companies have switched to targeted cheek swabs.

Natural resource companies don’t gently caress around with drugs and alcohol and medical screenings at remote camps, because it gets really ugly otherwise.

The test they'll be doing is a 13 panel urine test, where they dip a little card into my piss and it changes colour based on what substances are there. I don't really care about being able to get on site or not. My company doesn't have to use me there, and since it's out of town they can't require me to go anyway.

I'm more asking about whether or not my company can still force me to take a drug test with no incident and no reason to suspect I've been showing up to work impaired (I haven't). I'm working under the assumption that if I refuse it, they'll count it as a failed result. Then I'll be suspended without pay, made to go to counseling, and barred from returning to work until I pass a test. So if random testing isn't legal, isn't this basically the same thing? Seems like an easy loophole for the company if they can get around it just by saying I might possibly be sent somewhere in the indeterminate future that requires it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They won’t have you do the test if you don’t go to the customer site, why would they spend the money?

It’s not a random test, it’s systematic. At least in the federal labor code, it’s not illegal - oil tanker crews do it on the reg.