Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm not a thread regular and am a network moron. I've read through the OP, but the thread title says it's out of date, so I'm just going to ask.

My mom has a isp provided vdsl modem/router/wireless access point that can't be user replaced easily due to it having telephony and tv functions. The wifi on it has been problem free for years, but has in the last months, for whatever reason, become spotty in places, dipping below 5mbps at times. Wired works fine. There is in fact a whole wired setup with a nas, security cameras and printer that my father set up before he died and that I'm hoping I don't have to touch while solving the wifi issues.

I have tried disabling the wifi on the modem and connecting up a Maginon WLR-755 that I found in a drawer here, which I understand to be a wifi repeater that also can function as a wired up wireless access point. This worked without issue up until it spontaneously factory reset itself after 24 hours. I'm looking to replace this device with one that keeps working. A thing that has a network input from where it gets internet access and access to the local network, and a radio that broadcasts wifi and doesn't attempt to provide any other functions like setting up another network with different looking local ip addresses or something like that.

So from the OP I take it I'm looking for a thing sold as an "access point"? I guess I'm looking for confirmation of that more than anything else. There's just going to be one, I'm not adding to an existing wireless network, which is where walkthroughs on the internet get me confused. OP mentioned possibly instead getting another router with dhcp disabled. Is doing that over getting a dedicated device preferable for some reason?

Should I be looking at the ubiquiti access points mentioned in the OP for this? Having to install software to manage one seems less than ideal, but if it's the thing to get, I'll deal with it. They also seem pricy, but she'll pay for "not thrash". There's power available at the install point, but POE I'm guessing not.

If anyone can recommend me something that's basic and reliable and not too onerous to set up, I'll be very thankful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
OP is four years old and some of the stuff listed isn’t even available anymore.

But yes for you my recommendation is getting a stand alone access point. You don’t need a controller (software) to run or even set up the AP, you can do it from an app on your phone.

I don’t know enough about your mom’s networking usage but something like a TP-Link EAP225 V3 may work just as well and runs for $60 on Amazon.

It comes with a PoE injector that plugs into a wall socket for power and has two Ethernet ports. One goes to your router and one goes to the AP.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 9, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Cyks posted:

OP is four years old and some of the stuff listed isn’t even available anymore.

But yes for you my recommendation is getting a stand alone access point. You don’t need a controller (software) to run or even set up the AP, you can do it from an app on your phone.

I don’t know enough about your mom’s networking usage but something like a TP-Link EAP225 V3 may work just as well and runs for $60 on Amazon.

It comes with a PoE injector that plugs into a wall socket for power and has two Ethernet ports. One goes to your router and one goes to the AP.
There's a single laptop, a phone and a wireless video over IP thing from the isp that never seemed to suffer from whatever garbage connection there was. If it can handle access to websites and a couple of 1080p streams, it'll be fine. Really nothing strenuous.

Thanks for the recommendation. The EAP225 seems to have poor availability here in Belgium and I see the TP-Link EAP245 V3 for the same price as it on Amazon.de (~85€). It says POE adapter included on the box. I'm guessing thats the same thing with faster wifi and I can just nab that. Looks like it anyway.

Thanks again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

I'm fed up with the ubuiqiti gear. My UAP AC lites are crapping the bed and the wife is (validly) complaining that the Wifi doesn't work. I tried updating to the latest firmware, but that seems WORSE.

Looking to dump ubquiti all together.
I have two sites, with USGs at both locations, with a site to site VPN. Total of 5 APs between the two locations. One has 1000/1000Mbit fiber.

So I'm looking to buy:
2 routers
router supports site to site vpn
router supports gigabit line rate WAN
probably ~5 APs, don't have to be bleeding edge standards
PoE if possible, wall warts acceptable.

Looking under $1,500, slightly flexible on price. Inflexible on dumping ubiquity.
What is reasonable to buy?

edit: pfsense routers, are they still A Thing? What sorta hardware would I need for gigabit line rate

I run the full UB kit with a similar site size and I'm having simmilar problems with the NanoHD's. I spent nearly $1k on new AP's for our property when COVID started and I've regretted it since. My laptop/phone only work in 1 spot on my bed despite site survey's showing good signal. My son is maybe ~15ft from one and has weekly issues where I have to reboot the AP. We never had these problems with the Pro's they replaced. Firmware updates, moving AP locations, etc have not helped.
I've ordered two U6 LR's for testing - as I'm not ready to ditch the whole setup. Everything else, with the exception of a pesky G3 camera, has been great.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 10, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's a single laptop, a phone and a wireless video over IP thing from the isp that never seemed to suffer from whatever garbage connection there was. If it can handle access to websites and a couple of 1080p streams, it'll be fine. Really nothing strenuous.

Thanks for the recommendation. The EAP225 seems to have poor availability here in Belgium and I see the TP-Link EAP245 V3 for the same price as it on Amazon.de (~85€). It says POE adapter included on the box. I'm guessing thats the same thing with faster wifi and I can just nab that. Looks like it anyway.

Thanks again.

I have the EAP245 and confirm that it works well, POE injector, etc. I believe it doesn't have Wifi 6 but other than that it's good. It's designed to be ceiling mounted but I have mine on a floor and on the backside of a TV wall mount and they work just fine.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Anyone have any experience with an Aruba Networks S2500-24P switch? Looking to replace my 16 port TP-link TL-SG1218MPE switch with one to match my patch panel. Datasheet for the Aruba seems to show that all it's ports can do PoE 802.3af like my TP-link which should be fine for powering my 4 Ubiquiti (soon to be five) AP's. Used ones seem pretty cheap at around $125

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have the EAP245 and confirm that it works well, POE injector, etc. I believe it doesn't have Wifi 6 but other than that it's good. It's designed to be ceiling mounted but I have mine on a floor and on the backside of a TV wall mount and they work just fine.
It's great to have that confirmed. My mom now posits that it is going to be too big and ugly :allears:

She better well learn to deal with it jfc.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So we just got a good promo and swapped over to AT&T’s gigabit fiber. I currently have an older UniFi security gateway and some AC lites. Obviously Wi-Fi won’t get me the full download and upload speed, but what’s the best bet in terms of a mesh system to get me there?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

So we just got a good promo and swapped over to AT&T’s gigabit fiber. I currently have an older UniFi security gateway and some AC lites. Obviously Wi-Fi won’t get me the full download and upload speed, but what’s the best bet in terms of a mesh system to get me there?

Please just wire it to the main PC at least. Settle for wifi as the last option. Devices that don't matter (phones, tablets) sure, wifi, since they're irrelevant. But the main PC you should do everything in your power to connect it to a network cable.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Yeah I have sync gig fiber, Edgerouter 6P and a couple nanoHDs + a UAP-AC-Pro, I just run hardwired to my main fixed computers, my office workstation and work laptop, game consoles etc that are in a cabinet. The USW-Flex-Mini switches are amazing little guys and run off POE so there's no extra power bricks.

Wifi is for mobile devices and ephemeral guests, not infrastructure.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Volguus posted:

Please just wire it to the main PC at least. Settle for wifi as the last option. Devices that don't matter (phones, tablets) sure, wifi, since they're irrelevant. But the main PC you should do everything in your power to connect it to a network cable.

My NAS and main PC (which is just a laptop with a docking station) are hardwired. Everything else is a laptop that travels, a phone, or my AVR/Switch/FireTV.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

That's great that people recommend wired but not everyone can/wants to run cabling. Either because they cant or they aren't into networking, and mesh systems (and consumer routers) have a place in the market. Especially if they just want some wireless.

For AC I'm still going to sit on the RBK50 recommendation. The price of Wifi 6 mesh systems jump up considerably and reviews are harder to come by, but I'd look towards the eero Pro 6. I personally don't justify paying twice as much for wifi 6 for IOT devices that are either going to be too far away to benefit or don't need that throughput, but that's up to you and your network design.

For wifi 6 and a single wireless node, the RT-AX86U is a solid choice.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 15, 2022

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I like the idea of the Eero and the price is better than the Orbi stuff but I get bad vibes with Amazon owning them

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

I like the idea of the Eero and the price is better than the Orbi stuff but I get bad vibes with Amazon owning them

Depending on your budget, I've heard good things about the Asus Zenwifi line. My buddy has his main PC wired to a node and says it works well for the gaming he does.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

withoutclass posted:

Depending on your budget, I've heard good things about the Asus Zenwifi line. My buddy has his main PC wired to a node and says it works well for the gaming he does.

I was going to mention the XT8. A literal day after somebody asked about it in this thread they released a new firmware (the previous one was really bad and was causing a lot of wireless issues). It seems to have fixed the problems? I can’t find much confirmation one way or the other and it’s hard to take Amazon reviews as evidence as I can’t tell if they upgraded or not.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cyks posted:

That's great that people recommend wired but not everyone can/wants to run cabling. Either because they cant or they aren't into networking, and mesh systems (and consumer routers) have a place in the market. Especially if they just want some wireless.

I don't quite understand this. You don't need to be "into networking" to go with a wired solution for devices that are stationary like desktop PCs and steaming boxes. It's literally the simplest solution there is, much easier than wireless in fact and better in every way except one which is it's not always possible to get a wire to a device in a practical way. And that is a legitimate concern and wireless definitely can fix that issue.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I don't quite understand this. You don't need to be "into networking" to go with a wired solution for devices that are stationary like desktop PCs and steaming boxes. It's literally the simplest solution there is, much easier than wireless in fact and better in every way except one which is it's not always possible to get a wire to a device in a practical way. And that is a legitimate concern and wireless definitely can fix that issue.

The majority of streaming boxes are wireless now. Consoles for sure, but more and more stationary devices are shedding Ethernet jacks.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KKKLIP ART posted:

The majority of streaming boxes are wireless now. Consoles for sure, but more and more stationary devices are shedding Ethernet jacks.

Which is why I purposefully look for models that haven't done that because, as has been noted but is worth repeating, nothing beats a wired connection.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

KKKLIP ART posted:

but more and more stationary devices are shedding Ethernet jacks.

The only streaming sources ditching Ethernet jacks are the "sticks" as far as i know, any actual OTT STB has an ethernet, it's just better especailly if you are streaming high def/4k, a lot of wifi is just too congested/not consistent enough to give a good high bitrate streaming experience.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Running Ethernet cables in your walls and punching down keystones is no way easier than plugging in a mesh system to a power outlet and clicking through the setup app on your phone.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Nor is it any better if you’re just using streaming services. 4K streams top out at 40mbit. Even 4K Blu-rays uncompressed are doable on mediocre WiFi.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KS posted:

Nor is it any better if you’re just using streaming services. 4K streams top out at 40mbit. Even 4K Blu-rays uncompressed are doable on mediocre WiFi.
Tell us you live in the sticks without telling us you live in the sticks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have 400mbps Internet service. My internal wireless network speed is higher than that even on the 2.4ghz channel. The 5ghz channels easily exceed 800mbps. The only argument I can really see for wired over wireless in my case would be if my ISP suddenly started offering much higher speeds out of the blue, or if I was really concerned about latency, which I could probably shave a millisecond or two off of if I was wired to the router instead of wireless. The connection is still fast enough I haven't felt the need to do that - competitive games still work fine over wireless.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have 400mbps Internet service. My internal wireless network speed is higher than that even on the 2.4ghz channel. The 5ghz channels easily exceed 800mbps. The only argument I can really see for wired over wireless in my case would be if my ISP suddenly started offering much higher speeds out of the blue, or if I was really concerned about latency, which I could probably shave a millisecond or two off of if I was wired to the router instead of wireless. The connection is still fast enough I haven't felt the need to do that - competitive games still work fine over wireless.

Out of curiosity are there a lot of other wireless networks where you are? That seems to make a big difference in the wifi reliability/consistency. I still always prefer wired if it's a reasonable option.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Tell us you live in the sticks without telling us you live in the sticks.

Yeah fair, not in the sticks but on 3/4 of an acre and my spectrum looks like this.

If you're in a highrise, early adopt 6E I guess.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KS posted:

Yeah fair, not in the sticks but on 3/4 of an acre and my spectrum looks like this.

If you're in a highrise, early adopt 6E I guess.
A single page ago I was posting about how bad 802.11ax is for highly contented spectrums.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fletcher posted:

Out of curiosity are there a lot of other wireless networks where you are? That seems to make a big difference in the wifi reliability/consistency. I still always prefer wired if it's a reasonable option.

Yeah that's the big caveat with WiFi.

I have a Deco X90 (WiFi 6) system and my laptop pulls 800/800 speed tests in the living room (one room over from the router in the office) and is rock solid even doing intensive stuff like Moonlight game streaming at 100Mbps. I really wouldn't have any qualms about replacing wired with it.

But... if I look at the spectrum there's 25-30dBm between my network and the next most powerful, and while I can see a dozen or so other SSIDs my neighbors aren't exactly who I would expect to be heavy users. If you took my system and installed it in an apartment complex full of college students it would probably be a completely different experience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fletcher posted:

Not close enough or strong enough to be a problem. I don't really have to worry about interference, so you're right - if I was in a noisier radio environment I might be less sanguine about running everything wireless.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A single page ago I was posting about how bad 802.11ax is for highly contented spectrums.

Is it actually a common scenario to have so many rogue networks around that even 5GHz won't deliver acceptable performance? Between poor penetration for a lot of building materials and the number of available channels, I haven't ever seen that personally but I'm also not trying to implement Wi-Fi in high-rise apartments.

A quick search indicates that most housing in the US is detached single units so if that's your standard for "in the sticks" you're going to see it a lot.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 17, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Is it actually a common scenario to have so many rogue networks around that even 5GHz won't deliver acceptable performance? Between poor penetration for a lot of building materials and the number of available channels, I haven't ever seen that personally but I'm also not trying to implement Wi-Fi in high-rise apartments.

A quick search indicates that most housing in the US is detached single units so if that's your standard for "in the sticks" you're going to see it a lot.
Well, admittedly I live in the sticks too by this definition - but even if the signal attenuation of the 5GHz spectrum won't impact detached single units, zoning regulations might change as a result of detached single unit building being highly uneconomical, on top of which the US isn't the only market that wireless networking is used in.
In addition to that, the 5GHz band is an ISM spectrum so there's no reason to believe more devices won't take advantage of the unlicensed nature of that up to the legal limits - so even if it isn't crowded right now (which is an untested hypothesis), it probably will be in the future because there's no point at which airtime availability in the ISM bands has outpaced the number of new devices being added vs the number of old devices being removed.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Just use wifi if you want to, it's ok.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cyks posted:

Running Ethernet cables in your walls and punching down keystones is no way easier than plugging in a mesh system to a power outlet and clicking through the setup app on your phone.

Like you don't have to do any of this necessarily. I don't. I run my cables across the floor boards with cable holders that nail into the boards. It's not the most attractive setup, but it's also not highly visible since they usually run behind something like the couch. As an apartment dweller I've never had the option of running Ethernet through the walls but I've also never had any problems getting Ethernet to the devices that I want to use it on.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Pretty interesting stuff going on with TrickBot and Mikrotik https://arstechnica.com/?p=1841904

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I seem to have a slow link somewhere in my home network. I have a Unifi Dream Machine, a USW-lite-8-PoE, and a UAP-AC-IW. The switch is in between the other two devices. For some reason, the Unifi app says the switch is only running at fast ethernet, rather than gigabit. I only have one portable device with an ethernet port. I've used it to do a little iperf3 testing between that laptop and my desktop. Is there some sort of inexpensive device that I can use to do speed tests on cable runs?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Try different cables.

Just walked my mom through replacing her dead router with a Linksys Velop system. The hardest part was taking her through all the cable swaps, god bless the phone app setups that home networking gear is doing these days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

devmd01 posted:

Try different cables.

Just walked my mom through replacing her dead router with a Linksys Velop system. The hardest part was taking her through all the cable swaps, god bless the phone app setups that home networking gear is doing these days.

Yeah, the cables are in the walls. Not going to replace any unless I know one's bad.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

hooah posted:

Yeah, the cables are in the walls. Not going to replace any unless I know one's bad.

Use a different cable just temporarily to confirm that is the issue. Then I would first try terminating the ends again with new keystones or whatever you are currently using. If that doesn't work, then it'd be time to think about replacing the cable in wall (or use something like a moca adapter or wifi if replacing the cable in wall isn't feasible).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

fletcher posted:

Then I would first try terminating the ends again with new keystones or whatever you are currently using.

^^ this ^^ has come up over and over again in my experience as solving a LOT of slow speed negotiation issues.

If you pull the jacks off the wall and see just inches of color pairs going back to the shielding it may be the whole problem.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

hooah posted:

I seem to have a slow link somewhere in my home network. I have a Unifi Dream Machine, a USW-lite-8-PoE, and a UAP-AC-IW. The switch is in between the other two devices. For some reason, the Unifi app says the switch is only running at fast ethernet, rather than gigabit. I only have one portable device with an ethernet port. I've used it to do a little iperf3 testing between that laptop and my desktop. Is there some sort of inexpensive device that I can use to do speed tests on cable runs?

My Flex Mini consistently reports my PS5 as Fast Ethernet but it pulls games at gigabit speed. I've swapped cables and it still reports it as FE. Can you just do a regular speed test? From a wireless device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a way for me to setup a printer on a network so the devices connected to the network don't need software/drivers for the printer? I have a work laptop that I need to print from while I'm out of office but they won't let me install anything on it.