Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The last page of this chapter will be the white haired girl (Tea?) tapping a blackboard saying "what Loup did was right and good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah super glad we have our protagonist looking into the camera and telling us everything is fine.

I guess at the end of the day, Loup DID do the right thing, but the comic hosed up majorly by portraying things the way it did

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
why does annie not consider it a big deal that lana almost got raped

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A big flaming stink posted:

Because she doesn't have the full context, just what people are telling her?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Really loving this narrative that because Lana was being forward she basically brought this on herself so it's therefore good that Loup did the white knight trope to the letter.

If this is the only alternative, then just give me a day and the life of Arizona Shell at this point. At least there's a chance I learn something new about the universe amidst all their seemingly Benny Hill levels of bumblefuckery.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

It is a little weird how lackadaisical she is with this. She seems well aware off:
1: The forest people prying
2: Lana being too easy

Thanks to talks with Reynard, probably Lana and now Loup. Yet she's perfectly fine with this and so far doesn't seem to think she should mention this to the machine goddess. Maybe start properly educating the newmans before letting them go wild.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
We see Lana talk with Annie and Kat, but don't see what's said. We then see Reynard standing next to Annie, maybe after a short time skip?

So if nothing else we can assume Annie knows Lana went in over her head and Jerrek stepped in. So yeah she should at least have some awareness that the robo people aren't well-equipped to handle the real world, but it is up to debate how aware Annie is of the severity of the problem.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Maybe the fact that it's up for debate and we don't actually know what the characters know when they justify this stuff is part of the problem?

I have no idea where this is going or why its going there at this point.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Remember Mort?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe the fact that it's up for debate and we don't actually know what the characters know when they justify this stuff is part of the problem?

I have no idea where this is going or why its going there at this point.

Yeah this is an excellent point lmao

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Splicer posted:

The last page of this chapter will be the white haired girl (Tea?) tapping a blackboard saying "what Loup did was right and good"

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Bleck posted:

Remember Mort?

Yeah. Good times :unsmith:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Bleck posted:

Remember Mort?

No matter how bad Gunnerkrigg gets, it can never take Mort from us

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Haha sexual assault

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah super glad we have our protagonist looking into the camera and telling us everything is fine.

again*

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
it's also cool that the elves in question will probably never face any sort of consequence

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

more an explanation than an excuse but i think the intended angle is that both the tree elf and developing cyborg cultures have different social norms than humans and both the humans and gods are imposing human values on them

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

My expectations for this comic are on the floor but I still did not expect Annie to deadass look into the camera and say "yeah what you did was fine lol"

Lmao what the gently caress

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I want anyone who said "wtf you guys, renard's not meant to be a voice of reason here, he's a boomer, how can you say tom was endorsing this or that we the audience were meant to agree with renard" to look really closely at this comic and reconsider their optimism

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, did people have a problem with what Loup did? I thought the objection was to writing in the situation in the first place, and secondarily to Lana's reaction.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think the issue is that if we were supposed to be siding with Loup in that scene, then it's weird that the scene made him look like a psycho in the way it played out and how Loup was framed. The situation may have called for a forceful intervention of some kind but he went all creepy anime villain about it.

Edit: The bigger stinker here is "Haha well she is very ;) forward ;) lol silly thing doesn't know any better than to not get herself molested!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Wait, did people have a problem with what Loup did? I thought the objection was to writing in the situation in the first place, and secondarily to Lana's reaction.

it’s all of a piece, really. the whole “guy acts like a stone cold badass to defend the naive lady” thing is dated and the framing here made it downright embarrassing

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

It's a mix, probably with different posters focusing more or less on different aspects. Like, Tom crafted a situation specifically intended to have Loup lash out justifiably, and he crafted that specific situation which chooses some kinda gross tropes to use, and the way Renard and Annie are reacting is confirmation that the comic was playing those tropes straight.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 16, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m getting the sense that the main development here is “Loup is being influenced and baffled by Ysengrin’s outmoded sense of chivalry” and if that’s the case then we could have gotten there just by making him lecture Lana for constantly getting her baps out. the elven chavs never had to be a factor

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

I want anyone who said "wtf you guys, renard's not meant to be a voice of reason here, he's a boomer, how can you say tom was endorsing this or that we the audience were meant to agree with renard" to look really closely at this comic and reconsider their optimism

Yea unfortunately it looks like I need to eat robotic multi-time spliced crow here.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

These two replies sum up my feelings very well:

Ditocoaf posted:

It's a mix, probably with different posters focusing more or less on different aspects. Like, Tom crafted a situation specifically intended to have Loup lash out justifiably, and he crafted that specific situation which chooses some kinda gross tropes to use, and the way Renard and Annie are reacting is confirmation that the comic was playing those tropes straight.

GunnerJ posted:

I think the issue is that if we were supposed to be siding with Loup in that scene, then it's weird that the scene made him look like a psycho in the way it played out and how Loup was framed. The situation may have called for a forceful intervention of some kind but he went all creepy anime villain about it.

Edit: The bigger stinker here is "Haha well she is very ;) forward ;) lol silly thing doesn't know any better than to not get herself molested!"

It's not that I don't think Loup should've intervened, it's that the situation was written at all. It's full of gross tropes, like innocent naive woman cannot defend herself or recognize the situation for what it is, or the immigrant-coded forest elves being predatory. And then the wildly conflicting messaging - making him intervene but in a really loving weird anime villain way, leading people to speculate that maybe it was a subversion of those tropes where they were going to talk about Loup's excessive use of violence and intimidation. Only for the narrative to take two characters we consider to be Wise And Fair In Most Situations including the loving protagonist and having them say "yeah you did good, you're fine, everything's fine".

I fear my initial hunch that Loup was meant to be seen by the audience as kind of badass with the way he intervened may in fact be true.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
my big issue is that annie is being made aware of the fact that the robohumans are running headlong into adult sexuality with zero experience on how to handle it and laughs it off

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A larger problem with the comic now is that it’s spinning its wheels after undergoing a huge narrative shift where that…doesn’t really work anymore.

To explain: prior to Loup, the comic was fine either introducing new plot threads or progressing with others. The court’s doings, the forest’s thing, Annie’s personal issues, the robots and Kat, school shenanigans, the faeries like Red, etc etc. This was fine, because there was no impetus to go in a specific direction, we had no single overarching thread, and the individual threads had good developments and sometimes interesting ways in which they interacted with each other, such as when they finally put Jeanne to rest.

Post-Loup that has changed. We have an immediate threat that has displaced everyone at the court AND in the forest. We got a quest from Coyote to get macguffins. Yet this all weirdly feels secondary and incidental? Even when this current chapter is dealing with that more than normal, it’s all faded into the background to have fun with Teenager Loup, which I am not sure if this is supposed to develop Loup or show him as incapable of change or what.

But using hackneyed contrivances like sexual assault and spending multiple pages to assure us it’s perfectly fine. What is the point? To show how out of touch Loup is? How naïve the nu humans are? That Loup is capable of doing good deeds? Are we supposed to be seeing how Loup discovers this human thing called empathy? Weird to cast him in a dark, violent light then!

I dunno, I feel like these detours to show how these characters react to sudden upheaval should be fine, but maybe they are poorly paced or not compelling enough to justify their presence.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

This is well put. Tom seems to struggle with creating and sustaining tension that lasts more than a chapter or two, and most of the threats aside from Jeanne were sort of mysteries that were addressed when they came up again, rather than being an actively pursued resolution. And that was entirely fine, because they tended to be things with no time limit. Like, Jeanne wasn't going anywhere or growing in power. Jack getting controlled by spiders wasn't a big deal until Jack made it a big deal. There was just sort of this looming "to be continued..." for every chapter, which works when the stakes haven't been set very high and the comic is more invested in mysteries than action.

But then Tom shook up the status quo, presented all these immediate threats, then... did his best to undermine the tension at every single opportunity while still wanting to act like they were a thing. The Court is under attack! Students have temporary dorms! Are they even still doing lessons? Loup could attack at any moment! Monsters from the forest could attack at any moment! Loup went crazy and attacked everyone! There were serious injuries! Sentient beings trapped under rubble! The Court is going to move all of its people to a new continent! Zounds! All of this sure seems urgent and dangerous!

(brakes screeching sound) Anyway time for a profoundly unlikable character to experience puberty.

I feel like I'm reading Homestuck again. Just the loving stop-go stop-go pacing. I don't know if maybe it's a symptom of how Tom has really outgrown the chapter-based format and need for everything to more or less have a resolution in a given chapter, or what.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this is incredible. this double-tap is some of the most heavy handed moralization i've ever seen. the reasoning of 'maybe they don't have all the information' falls apart narratively when you're getting it from both the protagonists of the comic, and annie going 'lol improper?' and making a joke of that specific aspect of it is somehow the worst beat to happen yet.

CYBEReris posted:

more an explanation than an excuse but i think the intended angle is that both the tree elf and developing cyborg cultures have different social norms than humans and both the humans and gods are imposing human values on them

the tree elves seem to at this point have the social norms of a stereotype of the british 'lower class' which is so, so, so hard to get past

Tiny Myers posted:

I don't know if maybe it's a symptom of how Tom has really outgrown the chapter-based format and need for everything to more or less have a resolution in a given chapter, or what.

outgrow implies improvement

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ysengrin was well known for keeping his cool.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

"So, have you heard anything about Loup? I hear Loup is shredded. That he has a six-pack"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

God even the insane antagonist in this comic has become slow and meandering.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

There Bias Two posted:

God even the insane antagonist in this comic has become slow and meandering.

The mind... is a plaything of the body...?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Tiny Myers posted:

I am preparing to eat crow here but first we must wait six weeks for this conversation between Annie and Jerrek to wrap up. There's still a chance!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Fecha posted:

The mind... is a plaything of the body...?

That seems to be heavily implied during this whole thing, no? That loup is being heavily influenced by being in that form.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm just still baffled by the coloring choice.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

worm girl posted:

I am preparing to eat crow here but first we must wait six weeks for this conversation between Annie and Jerrek to wrap up. There's still a chance!

:rolleyes:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

So I guess the biggest pending mystery of the story was just... explained off screen to the protagonist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

So I guess the biggest pending mystery of the story was just... explained off screen to the protagonist?

I'm more surprised she decided to tell the guy she met for the first time the day before yesterday and like 3 times in total about the super secret project that could destroy the court, ie his home.