Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've always loved the J-Horror "Noroi: The Curse," and I think theres potential in a game where you are just sat down in an office at night. Your job is too look through hundred of clips and point out all the anomalies in the background, and piece together visual and verbal clues. Just rip off the good parts off Obra Dinn and Her Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Moirai was the name of it, I think. It's been a while since I played it but it looks about right.

Apparently it was taken offline in 2017 because the developers kept getting hacked, probably because of the email database, although supposedly the emails never leaked.

Aww that's a shame, I remember that game and thinking that was clever as hell.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've always loved the J-Horror "Noroi: The Curse," and I think theres potential in a game where you are just sat down in an office at night. Your job is too look through hundred of clips and point out all the anomalies in the background, and piece together visual and verbal clues. Just rip off the good parts off Obra Dinn and Her Story.

there's a game somewhat like that, I'm on Observation Duty and its sequels. You view surveillance camera footage from a house and have to spot when something changes. Sometimes an object grows bigger or smaller, sometimes there's a weird guy on top of a dresser, and so on. Very low budget though :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwy7nl6mvDQ

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

There were good parts to Her Story? :confused:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mix. posted:

The overall idea of an interview mystery isn't bad, it just had extraordinarily bad execution

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mix. posted:

I liked the song :shobon:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

The overall idea of an interview mystery isn't bad, it just had extraordinarily bad execution

There's a supernatural one on steam that...I want to give it praise but it's barely acted competently by 3 out of 5 cast members. I can't remember the name of it.

I agree, I think it's an awesome idea but God does it need all of its parts.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I played Her Story on a plane and thought it was fun, but I like playing internet detective enough that I still bought Scrutinized after seeing it kind of sucked. Is there anything particularly bad about it I'm just not remembering?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Noroi is really good and I kinda wish the director continued to do stuff as interesting as it was. Occult and sweet murder were alright but had execution flaws. But then he went on to do Japanese idol stuff and even the ridiculous ju on vs the ring. Just the most confusing body of work

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

al-azad posted:

It's a shame no one ever got that far to see it and I refuse to believe anyone who says they beat Terror from the Deep.

I've beaten TFTD. I know a decent amount of people who have beaten it as well. Almost all of us had to cheat one point in order to get specific units to capture/research so you could finish the research chains.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Moirai was the name of it, I think. It's been a while since I played it but it looks about right.

Apparently it was taken offline in 2017 because the developers kept getting hacked, probably because of the email database, although supposedly the emails never leaked.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-brief-history-of-moirai-one-of-pcs-most-disturbing-games

Here's the interview where they go into it, but a major reason aside from the script writer loving with it was there were a lot of people sending in a lot of bad poo poo because of course.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I started The Evil Within 2 on PS4 earlier today. I'm just at the beginning of chapter 4 and am enjoying it so far, although I wish it would stop blasting me in the face with a flash bulb every couple hours. Overall it's cleary a huge step up from the first game but I will hold judgement until I'm finished.

I am frustrated with the game currently. I just spent like 2 hours trying to do the shooting gallery high score. Finally managed to do both courses then the game game crashed as I left the room. Without updating my autosave and before I could manually do so.

Apparently the shooting gallary is known to be crashy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FirstAidKite posted:

And on top of that you have all of the problems with Terror from the Deep regarding equipment and enemies. A big issue is that Terror from the Deep was largely a reskin of UFO Defense with altered numbers, but some of those altered numbers resulted in things like the smoke grenade equivalents going from "incredibly useful all the time" in UFO Defense to "absolutely useless" in Terror from the Deep, and many reskinned guns were worse than their UFO Defense counterparts, and the lobstermen the lobstermen the godDAMN LOBSTERMEN

Terror from the Deep's aesthetic and atmosphere is absolutely choice though, very good, very creepy.

Compare the geoscape music between UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaySc2c_qA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437gc1Ho8kw

I hate lobstermen so much. There'd always be one hiding in a cruise ship cupboard on terror missions and he'd always, always manage to down a squad member. Bastards.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I saw it brought up in here a bunch so figured I'd mention In Sound Mind is going to be the next free game on Epic in a few days :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Who wants to see Issac Clark's wrists snap like toothpicks in the Dead Space remake

https://twitter.com/deadspace/status/1502705992319967232?t=A1vUwldGqqaMJ6YAT9xeEQ&s=19

WHUMSNAP

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Who wants to see Issac Clark's wrists snap like toothpicks in the Dead Space remake

https://twitter.com/deadspace/status/1502705992319967232?t=A1vUwldGqqaMJ6YAT9xeEQ&s=19

WHUMSNAP

Darkness...? In my horror game!?

Yeah I'm not a fan of the new lighting. Why take away the darkness?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

theyve explicitly said that the visuals are not final and this is specifically only meant to be about the sound, the actual visuals will look different

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1503598255418253318?s=20&t=FJizLwC37D6JjI81oEtzug

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mix. posted:

theyve explicitly said that the visuals are not final and this is specifically only meant to be about the sound, the actual visuals will look different

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1503598255418253318?s=20&t=FJizLwC37D6JjI81oEtzug

in case you're ever wondering why you don't hear about a game from a long time and why don't devs just show more of the development process it's having to explain to people that they're looking at an unfinished video game again and again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

in case you're ever wondering why you don't hear about a game from a long time and why don't devs just show more of the development process it's having to explain to people that they're looking at an unfinished video game again and again

Goons are going to believe that is the final look of the game until sometime after launch

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Blockhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNg3sSZ9F8

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Len posted:

Goons are going to believe that is the final look of the game until sometime after launch

Experience is telling me that its closer to the final look than we actually want to think.

I've lost count of the amount of times where they go "no, its fine, its a work in progress" and its still looked poo poo on release.

Granted i'm not gonna go shout at them on twitter about it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the time i remember distinctly that the final graphics was different than the trailer were the fire and smoke effects in witcher 3

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dogstile posted:

Experience is telling me that its closer to the final look than we actually want to think.

I've lost count of the amount of times where they go "no, its fine, its a work in progress" and its still looked poo poo on release.

Granted i'm not gonna go shout at them on twitter about it.

Yeah the number of rereleases/HD updates/remakes have hosed up the aesthetics of a game is way higher than the ones that didn't

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artelier posted:

the time i remember distinctly that the final graphics was different than the trailer were the fire and smoke effects in witcher 3

Dark Souls 2.......

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Xenomrph posted:

I just blind-bought “Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story” on the Nintendo Switch for $10, did I gently caress up?

why would you buy something that looks like that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

whaley posted:

why would you buy something that looks like that

The allure of honkers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bogart posted:

The allure of honkers.

Same reason I grabbed Untitled Goose Game

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now I’m not saying a game can’t be a good horror experience and also feature women with gigantic yabbos but that one probably ain’t it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mix. posted:

I saw it brought up in here a bunch so figured I'd mention In Sound Mind is going to be the next free game on Epic in a few days :v:

Unfortunately most of those times were just me so here's hoping this gets more people to play it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Putting the H in Horror

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watched a streamer (Tomato) play a few hours of In Sound Mind a few months ago, and it looked cool. He never played more of it though because people told him it got really bad after where he was or something. Was a bummer!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I watched a streamer (Tomato) play a few hours of In Sound Mind a few months ago, and it looked cool. He never played more of it though because people told him it got really bad after where he was or something. Was a bummer!

I hate that I have to ask this but given the genre, when you say "bad" do you mean that the quality drops or it suddenly becomes about the holocaust?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Legit can't imagine what they are possibly talking about.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I hate that I have to ask this but given the genre, when you say "bad" do you mean that the quality drops or it suddenly becomes about the holocaust?

In Sound Mind is not about the holocaust.

In Sound Mind is a game that takes place in the head of a therapist. The therapist is trapped in his own head and is trying to figure wtf is going on while getting taunted by discount freddy krueger and the remnants of his previous patients. The game is very good and handles issues of mental health in a surprisingly competent way. It is also largely an FPS with horror trappings and a lot of the game is spent trying to figure out how to help save your patients. The game also has a lot of humor to it, owing a lot to aforementioned discount freddy just having a grand time taunting you and pulling little pranks and tricks on you as well as several other things over the course of the game that are just wonderful little jokes to bring levity to the surreal nightmare-touched environments.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I have no idea. He didn't go into specifics, I asked in chat if he was going to play more and he just said that people told him it "gets bad" so he's not going to bother. Not saying it's true or anything, but that was what happened.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wish I could remember the name of it, but there was a super awful indie point and click type game that was just the edgiest poo poo possible, played totally straight at that and it does, literally go to the holocaust at one point and there's not one single iota of tact to be found about it.

Edit: It was 'The Dark Inside Me'

Also lmao the description on it's steam page-
Psychological horror adventure game from a horror movie director based on a dynamic scenario.

Game Episodes of Chapter-1;

Episode 1: Broken Lines of a Killer
Episode 2: Auschwitz Death Camp
Episode 3: Hidden Lies
Episode 4: Her Twisted Pleasure

Next chapter will start where Chapter-1 ends.

Chapter 2: A Cold Bitter Touch

Episode 1: Angel In The Night
Episode 2: Let Me Die In His Arms
Episode 3: Dark Sins Of My Childhood
Episode 4: Sisters

Chapter 3: Fall of The Drama Queen (Final Chapter)

Episode 1: Rainy Roads
Episode 2: Sick Minds
Episode 3: Dead Girls Never Say No
Episode 4: Auschwitz Death Camp: The Dark Experiments
Episode 5: Fall of The Drama Queen
Episode 6: Happy Birthday

The Dark Inside Me is a very unique 2d,5, 3rd person next-gen psychological horror adventure game based on a dynamic interactive scenario.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 17, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I have no idea. He didn't go into specifics, I asked in chat if he was going to play more and he just said that people told him it "gets bad" so he's not going to bother. Not saying it's true or anything, but that was what happened.

Well that's dumb as hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1504129152701583369

I take it this means that the last Dark Pictures is fairly feature complete, or at least getting close to it. Not surprising since the games are fairly modular.

Jason inspired game? Multiplayer? Who can say?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 17, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Well that's dumb as hell.

It was really a bummer too since he was like..Enjoying it, he even said at one point "you know I actually am invested in the story of a game when I stop talking to read the lore notes" But I'll definitely take the opportunity to play it myself, he only got past the uh..Lighthouse part which I dunno how far in that actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CuddleCryptid posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1504129152701583369

I take it this means that the last Dark Pictures is fairly feature complete, or at least getting close to it. Not surprising since the games are fairly modular.

Jason inspired game? Multiplayer? Who can say?

Lance Henriksen’s official Instagram account posted a short teaser for The Quarry a little while ago so presumably he’s a part of it.