Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the only people who die from invaders are usually trying to twink their way through the game via summonings or grinding SL's so they deserve their hot death

successfully invading someone is the best feeling, it's like becoming one with dark souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I had a very different idea of what "twinking" through Elder Scrings was.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

man... i dont like the pvp in any souls. Id rather help guys beat a boss or something.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hihohe posted:

man... i dont like the pvp in any souls. Id rather help guys beat a boss or something.

it's much more fun to be the boss
https://i.imgur.com/FuHl8qK.mp4

can't believe Elden Ring didn't have a bossfight like this, even demon's souls had one

e: also give me back my ringed knight paired greatswords, this radahn sword thing stinks compared to them

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Vic posted:

I love talking about Elden Ring

Elden Ring is like cryptocurrency, but for gamers; they never shut up about it.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I'm enjoying my pirated Elden Ring with cheat engine so I can't die and, if I miss a parkour jump, I can just infinite jump back where I was.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ccubed posted:

I'm enjoying my pirated Elden Ring with cheat engine so I can't die and, if I miss a parkour jump, I can just infinite jump back where I was.

which release did u go with

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

That game of Morrowind I started? Still playing it. Found a couple places I never been to before. Fought a big ol' flying jellyfish.

See you guys in a couple weeks.

Hey, when you check back in, let me know if you can become a vampire AND a werewolf. I know you can get either, but forgot if you could get both.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Invasions own yeah, also kicking an invader's teeth in with your bud/buds also owns

Invaders absolutely eat poo poo more often than not, as it was meant to be.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's interesting to compare Sifu and Elden ring, two recent games that are both 10/10 masta-pieces to me but realistically couldn't be much different from each other. Interestingly I heard Sifu be compared against the souls games a lot and I'm starting to think comparisons to dark souls just means the game is good.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

How's this for a take: no one had successfully built a really good action rpg prior to demons souls

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

How's this for a take: no one had successfully built a really good action rpg prior to demons souls

Nah, Gothic existed at the very least.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That entirely depends on what you call an action role playing game, sure. I thought that was the moniker used for Diablo-clones!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Serephina posted:

That entirely depends on what you call an action role playing game, sure. I thought that was the moniker used for Diablo-clones!

Souls games are action-RPGs. Diablos and Diablo clones are ARPGs. This does not make sense, and yet I know it in my bones.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Harrow posted:

Souls games are action-RPGs. Diablos and Diablo clones are ARPGs. This does not make sense, and yet I know it in my bones.

:hmmyes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Harrow posted:

Is button mashing something to death really any different than right clicking to death?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

Let me get my PPE on before I go near this loving nuclear take:

I think it depends on what you want out of "really good action rpg"
Diablo did some stuff,
Ultima tried a lot of neat things
I think Vampire: The masquerade has a strong voice
Does like Dues Ex get a seat at this table?

There's some good ones.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

It's interesting to compare Sifu and Elden ring, two recent games that are both 10/10 masta-pieces to me but realistically couldn't be much different from each other. Interestingly I heard Sifu be compared against the souls games a lot and I'm starting to think comparisons to dark souls just means the game is good.

Sifu kicked rear end, I got all the trophies and the under 25 trophy was super super satisfying. Both games are awesome. There's no comparison to Souls though besides "hitting stuff" and mastering challenging boss movesets.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Souls-like" is a term that gamers toss around which means:

Souls-like posted:

A game that is hard but not like pac-man where it can feel unfair unless you have Asberger's. instead it's hard in a way that is satisfying to beat but feels difficult to my stupid gamer brain so I think that I'm a uber-pro mega-gamer because I learned where the dodge button is and spent 200 hours mastering the finicky parry mechanics lmaolol also I literally bully random people online by beating them with my massive end-game weapons that they can't possibly have and if they lost then they should "get gud" which doesn't mean learn how to play the mechanics well but really means learn how to exploit the janky broken systems and grind yourself to end level so the game is easy but since it "feels hard" you can trick yourself into thinking you're good.

So, I wouldn't qualify Sifu as a Souls-like.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 17, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure the first good action RPG was Zelda

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Devils Affricate posted:

The OG Zelda was a drat good game, and I'm pretty sure it holds up much better than its contemporaries.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Devils Affricate posted:

Zelda is not an RPG. Or so I've read.

You're not making a character, you're always Link. You don't get to change stats around or make choices in plot lines.

It seems like an RPG to me but we're wrong.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You're not making a character, you're always Link. You don't get to change stats around or make choices in plot lines.

It seems like an RPG to me but we're wrong.

RPG doesn't stand for Role Playing Game or a game, wherein you Play a Role. RPG stands for:

Raise numbers
Poopsock it and
Grind more numbers

an RPG is any game where you fill bars that make numbers get big or just make numbers get big with numbers get big coins that spill out of monsters when they die.

No more Role playing for you.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
RPG just means you have an inventory and you can permanently increase your HP

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's really pathetic how people need to tell others that they also spent $60 to tell others that they also spent $60. Like we get it you're too stupid to play a free game like Teamfight Tactics and instead just piss your money away on a brown world filled with brown. No no you're really smart and totally having fun.

edit: Don't actually support Riot as they suck or really any f2p game they're all predatory is varying degrees.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 17, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

These days most games have "RPG elements" or whatever so I think whether something is actually called an RPG or not mostly depends on how much of the combat is about your numbers vs. your mechanical skill, how visible those numbers are, and how much the player can manipulate those numbers.

The more the numbers matter, the more numbers are visible, and the more directly you interact with the numbers, the more likely something is to be seen as an "RPG."

Not trying to argue on how genre labels should be used, just observing how they tend to be

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPG basically is now "any game that has a progression element with an impact on your in game performance" Gacha Bullshit Money Grubbing Phone Crap is that, except your progression is randomized

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

It's really pathetic how people need to tell others that they also spent $60 to tell others that they also spent $60. Like we get it you're too stupid to play a free game like Teamfight Tactics and instead just piss your money away on a brown world filled with brown. No no you're really smart and totally having fun.

This is why I love hearing about bizarre indy titles. Like, everyone is racing to make a FTP version of whatever the hot AAA title is right now so they can bank on whales and the chinese. But indy spaces are all full of labor of love titles and small teams and neat ideas and trying stuff.

AND they're not $60.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Trollologist posted:

RPG doesn't stand for Role Playing Game or a game, wherein you Play a Role. RPG stands for:

Raise numbers
Poopsock it and
Grind more numbers

an RPG is any game where you fill bars that make numbers get big or just make numbers get big with numbers get big coins that spill out of monsters when they die.

No more Role playing for you.

In Zelda it's like, I have 18 beers in this case and 6 heart containers. Now I have ~10ish beers and a row of hearts. Then it's ~3 beers and idk, a bunch of hearts. It's hard to read but there's no number. Visit big tiddy lady give her my clothes and some body parts now my clothes have numbers I guess?

It's not like kill tons of mobs until I get A Level now I will invest in STR or CHR and then pick a direction on the sprawling skill tree and hope I did it right, and maybe I should read a tutorial about end game builds and then run some simulations and compare with a ranked player's strategy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Trollologist posted:

This is why I love hearing about bizarre indy titles. Like, everyone is racing to make a FTP version of whatever the hot AAA title is right now so they can bank on whales and the chinese. But indy spaces are all full of labor of love titles and small teams and neat ideas and trying stuff.

AND they're not $60.

Indie games rule but also kind of suffer from the "that was successful let's just do that" thing. They're still better because the people in charge also want to make a fun game. Also Riot is a poo poo company and I probably shouldn't play Teamfight Tactics but OMG Gnar is so dapper. DAPPER!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

yeah the term RPG has become overused to the point where it's largely lost meaning. A lot like the term roguelike. It used to mean permadeath with meta progression and now it means all kinds of weird stuff.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trollologist posted:

"Souls-like" is a term that gamers toss around which means:

So, I wouldn't qualify Sifu as a Souls-like.

soulslike means it has an invincible dodge roll and a healing potion that refills at checkpoints
hollow knight only counts as a soulslike 80% of the way into the game when you finally unlock the dodge move

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I'm pretty sure there was no metaprogression at all in the original rogue and rogue-likes outside of game knowledge itself

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
no one called sifu a soulslike, they called it a sekiro-like. Sifu rules by the way and everyone should play it

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is the Darksouls of posting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

I'm pretty sure there was no metaprogression at all in the original rogue and rogue-likes outside of game knowledge itself

People used to differentiate between rogue-like and rogue-lite but now its all just called rogue-like even though they have metaprogression mechanics which rogue absolutely did not

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You're not making a character, you're always Link.

In the Witcher you're always usually Geralt

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

In the Witcher you're always Geralt

In Dark Souls, you're always Elden Ring and that's why it's the best game ever.

How does Commander Shepard Fit into this? Like, sure, you're making a character(?) but you're also the same name and making choices so that's something?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If RPGs were about making your own character that would disqualify pretty much all JRPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Why do you you say that like it would be wrong?