Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Good news is that it’s not harvest season so there’s not a lot of grain moving right now.

Bad new is uh oh food shortages.

Also given that Ukraine was traditionally known as the "bread basket" of the Soviet Union.... In other words, how are grain futures doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's mental that there's still constantly footage of tanks roaming around unaccompanied and getting murked, have they not learnt it's a bad neighbourhood?

Its that thing i've been watching since the beginning of the invasion and my brain still just :psyduck:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

What did the original tweet they were quoting say

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Alan Smithee posted:

A photo of a press release saying "US sends $800m of weapons to Ukraine, comprising:" and then a list.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

It was a breakdown of the $800mil support package of military equipment to Ukraine.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

cult_hero posted:

Also given that Ukraine was traditionally known as the "bread basket" of the Soviet Union.... In other words, how are grain futures doing?

India had a bumper crop for wheat (like a surplus 2x the expected ukr shortfall) and upgraded their ports for the volume.

But capital is chasing profits everywhere so who knows?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/michaeltanchum/status/1504190502861746183?s=21

That’s a good sign. :v: Now is it being petty or does it mean something else?

Guess the requests for troops didn't go through

Alan Smithee posted:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it a good sign.

I was being sarcastic. I thought I put a v emoji. My bad.

Also I have no clue if this is true or anything, but maybe Jake Sullivan put the fear of God in the Chinese government.

https://twitter.com/euromaidanpr/status/1504278153849679876?s=21

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also I have no clue if this is true or anything, but maybe Jake Sullivan put the fear of God in the Chinese government.

Haha holy poo poo. There goes my NATO vs Sinorussia theory.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I need more verification for news this good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Let's go with surprising, if this makes Putin do something atomically stupid it may not be so good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Let's go with surprising, if this makes Putin do something atomically stupid it may not be so good.

if he does that over this he was always going to do that, it just would have been a matter of time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

cult_hero posted:

For anyone who speaks French, France Culture did a deep dive with experts on the food situation. My French is a little rusty, so the only notable takeaways I got were confirmation of the various infographics about importers of Russian and Ukrainian grains and their claims to have reserves sufficient for this year, at least. But if the war fails to conclude quickly (or some pretty flimsy and/or corrupt regimes have cooked the books) things could get rough. I think Lebanon, in particular, lost a huge chunk of what it had in the massive explosion a while back.

Also gave an episode of Sicherheitshalber on the invasion a listen and lol my German is even rustier than my French, jumping at random between understanding fluently for minutes at a time before diving into incomprehensibility. Probably didn't help to occasionally be reading English while listening. Was interesting to hear that the left-wing German party Die Linke (descendant of the East German ruling party) has apparently come out against Putin, though what that translates to in action I have no idea. Other parties have done similar to one extent or another and Putinverstehers are hunkering down.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/china-praises-ukraine-resistance-pledges-economic-support-1688608

A more measured take
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/16/china-ukraine-russia-war-diplomacy-strategy/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Haha holy poo poo. There goes my NATO vs Sinorussia theory.

Why align yourself with a pariah regime in an uncertain campaign when you can just buy all their resources for pennies on the dollar when it’s done, regardless of how the war goes?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My only take on the China situation is that Xi's not stupid and even having spent years neutering opposition to his rule probably knows enough to remain non-committal considering how at this point Russia is making 1914 Austria-Hungary look competent warfare-wise. China didn't write Russia a blank check so they have no obligation to help them sort things out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Same.

Edit: That will teach me to read all the posts before posting… who am I kidding I’ll never learn that. lol

Also Russian logistics!

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1504287900439097352?s=21

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 17, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A.o.D. posted:

holy loving WHAT

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 17, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sentinel posted:

holy loving WHAT

It's a sanity check for me. Any time I see something that I absolutely NEED to believe, I force myself to take a step back and try to make sure I'm not just seeing what I want to see.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

cult_hero posted:

Well given that Ukrainian farmers are actively engaged in an off-season armoured vehicle harvest, I would say that that is a good sign for Ukrainian wheat assuming the farmers can deal with the accompanying pest problem.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A.o.D. posted:

It's a sanity check for me. Any time I see something that I absolutely NEED to believe, I force myself to take a step back and try to make sure I'm not just seeing what I want to see.

No no im agreeing entirely.
If true reality continues to surprise.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

A.o.D. posted:

I mean those tweets named checked WaPo then linked to a completely different site I haven't heard of. So yeah this strategy isn't crazy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cugel the Clever posted:

For anyone who speaks French, France Culture did a deep dive with experts on the food situation. My French is a little rusty, so the only notable takeaways I got were confirmation of the various infographics about importers of Russian and Ukrainian grains and their claims to have reserves sufficient for this year, at least. But if the war fails to conclude quickly (or some pretty flimsy and/or corrupt regimes have cooked the books) things could get rough. I think Lebanon, in particular, lost a huge chunk of what it had in the massive explosion a while back.

Also gave an episode of Sicherheitshalber on the invasion a listen and lol my German is even rustier than my French, jumping at random between understanding fluently for minutes at a time before diving into incomprehensibility. Probably didn't help to occasionally be reading English while listening. Was interesting to hear that the left-wing German party Die Linke (descendant of the East German ruling party) has apparently come out against Putin, though what that translates to in action I have no idea. Other parties have done similar to one extent or another and Putinverstehers are hunkering down.

These are great and a good excuse for practicing my French, thanks for sharing them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's mental that there's still constantly footage of tanks roaming around unaccompanied and getting murked, have they not learnt it's a bad neighbourhood?

Those that learn, die in the lesson? And those that don't die, surrender?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Same.

Edit: That will teach me to read all the posts before posting… who am I kidding I’ll never learn that. lol

Also Russian logistics!

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1504287900439097352?s=21

Why doesn't Ukraine just invoke the 3rd Amendment???

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

ACHUSHULLY you'll find that front line Russian forces get fresh baked bread, and this is a priority for their logistics system.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrmcd posted:

I mean those tweets named checked WaPo then linked to a completely different site I haven't heard of. So yeah this strategy isn't crazy.

Yeah, I should point out that I always try and put emphasis on if it’s out there or needs confirmation. The old saying extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence is a good model to operate on these days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fearless posted:

Well given that Ukrainian farmers are actively engaged in an off-season armoured vehicle harvest, I would say that that is a good sign for Ukrainian wheat assuming the farmers can deal with the accompanying pest problem.

Iron Harvest :vince:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Well, Sun Tzu and all that...

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Without the context in which this statement was delivered I'm not sure you can really drawn any conclusions about what it would mean w/r/t evading sanctions or sending support.

With that said Russia is about as unpopular as it has ever been so who knows.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Good Harvest this here year *spits in spatoon* I Reckon.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Arrath posted:

https://twitter.com/TobyWBlack/status/1504209878289682436?s=20&t=9NavRRDYvUVI_Cp-fq5c3Q

This could be big, if true.

"How to isolate yourself from the world and lose your stooge regimes in 30 days or less"?

I'm not sure what's happening in Belarus exactly but that video isn't proof of a coup. The dude featured is a minister in exile after participating in protests, and he's asking the UN to recognize Belarus as an illegally occupied territory (because Lukashenko is illegitimate and propped up by Russians.) He's not calling on troops to revolt, he's not proclaiming a new government, he's just saying "This sucks, Lukashenko sucks, and he's going to drag Belarus down with him on Putin's mad adventure, please recognize that we the Belarusians shouldn't share the blood sin of those two fuckers and also if you did something about Lukashenko that'd be great, thx."

davecrazy posted:

ACHUSHULLY you'll find that front line Russian forces get fresh baked bread, and this is a priority for their logistics system.

I'm glad my dumb civvie question about Russian logistical doctrine from lo these many pages ago is STILL making the rounds here as a joke.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God that got me thinking of the eventual actual iron harvests that will occur after the war. It’s made even worse by the fact that so many of the arms are Soviet era designs just with upgrades. I doubt anything in the anti-personal anti-tank mines Russia has in service even remotely, if at all, has anything for remote destruction or disabling like current US AP mines.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
China having a real poo poo winter wheat harvest might also be playing into their concerns.

E: link

https://www.reuters.com/business/china-ensure-agricultural-product-supplies-including-grains-2022-03-05/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

You loving idiot, what are you, barely trilingual? :haw:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
trilingual is the new illiterate

Marshal Prolapse posted:

sadly this account is very not authoritative

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2022

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Not sure where that one tweet is sourcing its stuff from, but here's the piece published by WaPo that was written by the Chinese ambassador to the U.S. There's nothing praising Ukraine, he does state that China is sending humanitarian aid, he regurgitates the "legitimate security concerns" line, and as a bonus he gives a friendly reminder that the Ukraine situation is "totally different" from Taiwan.

Qin Gang posted:

Qin Gang is the ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to the United States.

Many Americans are understandably trying to understand where China stands as the crisis in Ukraine unfolds, so I want to take this opportunity to explain fully and dispel any misunderstandings and rumors.

There have been claims that China had prior knowledge of Russia’s military action and demanded Russia delay it until the Winter Olympics concluded. Recent rumors further claimed that Russia was seeking military assistance from China. Let me say this responsibly: Assertions that China knew about, acquiesced to or tacitly supported this war are purely disinformation. All these claims serve only the purpose of shifting blame to and slinging mud at China. There were more than 6,000 Chinese citizens in Ukraine. China is the biggest trading partner of both Russia and Ukraine, and the largest importer of crude oil and natural gas in the world. Conflict between Russia and Ukraine does no good for China. Had China known about the imminent crisis, we would have tried our best to prevent it.

China is committed to an independent foreign policy of peace. As a staunch champion of justice, China decides its position on the basis of the merits of the issue. On Ukraine, China’s position is objective and impartial: The purposes and principles of the U.N. Charter must be fully observed; the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries, including Ukraine, must be respected; the legitimate security concerns of all countries must be taken seriously; and all efforts that are conducive to the peaceful settlement of the crisis must be supported.

Given this, threats against Chinese entities and businesses, as uttered by some U.S. officials, are unacceptable. Neither war nor sanctions can deliver peace. Wielding the baton of sanctions at Chinese companies while seeking China’s support and cooperation simply won’t work.

Some people are linking Taiwan and Ukraine to play up the risks of a conflict in the Taiwan Strait. This is a mistake. These are totally different things. Ukraine is a sovereign state, while Taiwan is an inseparable part of China’s territory. The Taiwan question is a Chinese internal affair. It does not make sense for people to emphasize the principle of sovereignty on Ukraine while hurting China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity on Taiwan. The future of Taiwan lies in peaceful development of cross-Strait relations and the reunification of China. We are committed to peaceful reunification, but we also retain all options to curb “Taiwan independence.” We hope the United States earnestly abides by the one-China principle and does not support “Taiwan independence” separatism in any form. To ensure long-term peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait, China and the United States must work together to contain “Taiwan independence.”

In Ukraine, China has made huge efforts to push for peace talks and the prevention of a humanitarian crisis. In a phone call with President Vladimir Putin on the second day of the conflict, President Xi Jinping expressed China’s desire to see Russia and Ukraine hold peace talks as early as possible and received a positive response. When virtually meeting with leaders of France and Germany, Xi emphasized the need to jointly support peace talks between Russia and Ukraine.

Yang Jiechi, the director of the Office of the Central Commission for Foreign Affairs, just met with national security adviser Jake Sullivan in Rome, and State Councilor Wang Yi has also maintained close communication with Secretary of State Antony Blinken and other foreign ministers, exchanging views on the Ukraine crisis. China has also outlined a six-point initiative that calls for making sure that humanitarian operations abide by the principles of neutrality and impartiality; gives full attention to the displaced persons in and from Ukraine; ensures the protection of civilians; provides for safe and smooth humanitarian aid activities; provides for the safety of foreign nationals in Ukraine; and supports the United Nations’ coordinating role in channeling humanitarian aid, as well as the work of the U.N. crisis coordinator for Ukraine. The first tranche of emergency humanitarian supplies provided by the Red Cross Society of China to its Ukrainian counterpart has been shipped from Beijing.

As a Chinese proverb goes, it takes more than one cold day to freeze three feet of ice. The long-term peace and stability of Europe relies on the principle of indivisible security. There must be a balanced, effective and sustainable European security architecture. The priority now is to achieve a cease-fire to protect civilians from war. But as a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council and a responsible major country, China will continue to coordinate real efforts to achieve lasting peace. We stand ready to do whatever we can and work with other parties. Our ultimate purpose is the end of war and support regional and global stability.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1504306572347990018?s=21

:smith:

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

trilingual is the new illiterate

sadly this account is very not authoritative

And the biggest tell this report is false: There is no news like this on Washington Post's official Twitter or on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArmyGroup303 posted:

And the biggest tell this report is false: There is no news like this on Washington Post's official Twitter or on their website.

Yep, I think now they took a ambassador statement super out of context along with hyping up the posts article more then it was.

Got to make sure to unfollowed that one.

That said what the ambassador actually said was still kind of surprising, but probably just for international, and not for domestic consumption. Thou I find it hard to believe that whatever he said wasn’t vetted over and over back in Beijing. Perhaps it is an indication of something, though probably more China just trying to play both sides.