Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If that note bothers you, you can use a fingertip to mute the A string, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Got it. My teacher is very, "There is only one way to play guitar. You have to mute all unnecessary strings or its wrong."

Siivola posted:

If that note bothers you, you can use a fingertip to mute the A string, too.

It doesn't bother me. Drives my teacher up the wall though.

My philosophy is more that "It's not wrong if it works." haha

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well... the truth is in the middle. There are things that seem to work but are actually bad habits that will bite you later, but at the same time to say there's only one way to do something on the guitar is a pretty out-there statement. Obviously there are a billion ways to play guitar in different contexts but in those worlds there are advantages and disadvantages to different approaches. I always kept my thumb on the back of the neck and either just didn't play the strings I didn't want to hear or muted with my fingertips. But if you're strumming the heck out of a chord that wouldn't work so well.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's fine teaching a beginner a big list of things you shouldn't do, even if a year later you start teaching them the ones you can "well, actually." If you start breaking out the exceptions to stuff right off the bat, you're going to either confuse people or teach them they don't actually have to listen to you.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Oh, sure. But before that the teacher and student need to make sure they're on the same page about what the student wants to learn, and what the teacher is best able to teach. And in any case saying "there is only one way to play guitar" isn't very helpful I think, better to say "here's the best way to get you to where you want to go right now."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Travic posted:

Got it. My teacher is very, "There is only one way to play guitar. You have to mute all unnecessary strings or its wrong."

It doesn't bother me. Drives my teacher up the wall though.

My philosophy is more that "It's not wrong if it works." haha

It's wrong in the sense that EADADF# isn't a Dmaj chord, it's a Dmaj add9 over the E which is not the same thing, BUT the other solution to that is to not play the two bass strings at all rather than strumming them and muting them with your thumb.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRdt9LHZLM

This bastard is fun to play, but playing cleanly is a bitch with the bridge being slanted at such an angle. Palm mutes are hard to get right too, but I'm adjusting to it. It's not so bad if you play in folk position which I'm trying out here, which puts your hands more in harmony with the fan of the frets and bridge, but classical is a bit worse.

Also when you play for a while, then pick up a normal guitar, it looks like the frets are fanned in reverse as an optical illusion. Also the space between the frets seems to tiny, even around 1-3. I just hope when I fully get used to this I can go back and forth without an issue. I know I can still play my normal scale guitars just fine.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 16, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Line 6 have a new "Doom" plugin with a Sunn Model T in it so I went straight to it

https://voca.ro/1cQlKcToaFQF

gregday
May 23, 2003

I recently have become very interested in listening to and playing The Traveling Wilburys and it’s concerning.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

lol we covered end of the line the other day.

It’s on the set list now

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Great song, no shame in it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife got me Dave Grohl's book for Christmas and I finally got around to reading it this week.

If your impression of Dave is a perfectly nice dude who just wants to smoke a lot and tell road stories and is either unwilling or unable to create art more introspective than, "coffee good, best friend dying bad, love my mom, love my kids," then yeah, you got him nailed.

His prose, like his lyrics, is competent, formulaic, not offensive but not really worth rolling around in your brain longer than they take to pass through. He has a couple of tricks and he pulls them over and over and over. Paul McCartney turns up about 10x as often as Chris Shiflett, who gets mentioned about 10x as often as Krist Novoselic.

Happy I read it; gonna loan it to my dad and tell him he can pass it along to someone else.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

gregday posted:

I recently have become very interested in listening to and playing The Traveling Wilburys and it’s concerning.

For years, I'd get End of the Line and the Orbison bit of Handle With Care stuck in my head.

Only realised they were Wilbury songs last year.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Tom Petty singing “I’m just happy to be here, happy to be alive” hurts now.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is the one that gets me every time

https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/956253921827176448

I remember rolling around in dad's bronco with that album blasting and thinking like, "Jesus these guys are ancient, singing about the end of the world, one of them is even dead already!"

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dylan is still at it and at the top of his game its insane

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’ve heard Lynne’s still very good on tour

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

courtney love said "everybody likes the foo fighters but they're no one's favorite band" or something to that effect and she's dead on. devastating own

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Courtney Love doesn't appear in the book in any shape or form, not even in sidelong, "influences around Kurt" sort of wink nudge. He spends more time detailing a dinner party he threw one night for AC/DC than he does writing and recording Nevermind.

That whole section boils down to, "I joined the band and lived on Kurt's couch eating corn dogs until we rented a barn to rehearse Nevermind. We worked really hard to do Kurt's songs justice, and the album got huge while we were on tour. By the time we got home, we were all rich enough to live in different corners of the country, so that's what we did. Then we recorded In Utero and Pat joined for the tour.

FF was my favorite band in college, from like, 99-03. Colour and Shape, Nothing Left to Lose and One by One were all good albums, but I couldn't begin to tell you anything they've done but tour for the past 20 years.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 16, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

courtney love said "everybody likes the foo fighters but they're no one's favorite band" or something to that effect and she's dead on. devastating own

Courtney was doing an appearance at a local radio show, off-air she offered to take a photo with one of the interns, but when she saw the intern had a Foo Fighters phone case she apparently yelled and stormed out of the building.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Huxley posted:

Courtney Love doesn't appear in the book in any shape or form, not even in sidelong, "influences around Kurt" sort of wink nudge. He spends more time detailing a dinner party he threw one night for AC/DC than he does writing and recording Nevermind.

That whole section boils down to, "I joined the band and lived on Kurt's couch eating corn dogs until we rented a barn to rehearse Nevermind. We worked really hard to do Kurt's songs justice, and the album got huge while we were on tour. By the time we got home, we were all rich enough to live in different corners of the country, so that's what we did. Then we recorded In Utero and Pat joined for the tour.

In all fairness Dave didn't join until just before they cut Nevermind, he wasn't at the first sessions in Madison and didn't play on Polly.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

massive spider posted:

Line 6 have a new "Doom" plugin with a Sunn Model T in it so I went straight to it

https://voca.ro/1cQlKcToaFQF

Interesting, I wonder if this will make its way into the helix firmware.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRdt9LHZLM

This bastard is fun to play, but playing cleanly is a bitch with the bridge being slanted at such an angle. Palm mutes are hard to get right too, but I'm adjusting to it. It's not so bad if you play in folk position which I'm trying out here, which puts your hands more in harmony with the fan of the frets and bridge, but classical is a bit worse.

Also when you play for a while, then pick up a normal guitar, it looks like the frets are fanned in reverse as an optical illusion. Also the space between the frets seems to tiny, even around 1-3. I just hope when I fully get used to this I can go back and forth without an issue. I know I can still play my normal scale guitars just fine.

in flamez!!!!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Hi thread, does anyone recall the thought processes of getting a second guitar, or early expansion of the collection generally? I have the Marshall-branded Strat clone I started with and don't really use, an Epiphone G400 and a Gretsch Electromatic G2220 Junior Jet II bass.

I've had the Epiphone as my main guitar for over a decade, didn't put the hours in for much of that time, got the bass because I like Royal Blood and gave it some time in Rocksmith, now I'm also playing 6 string again and have made a lot of progress (I think) . So anyway, in a lot of ways I'm looking at getting my second guitar (Even though I have three, as one's a retired beginners guitar and the other a bass)

I'm going to try to get to a guitar shop in a few days, but right now I'm quiet interested in Gretsch's line. Aesthetically I really like the Electromatic Jet's v-stoptail, although I've trying to nail "Would?" which got me think a tremulo would be good, and maybe since my G400 is solid I should look at a hollow body?

What are some good things to try out in store by the way? Any tech stuff I should look at?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

landgrabber posted:

Foo Fighters are pretty popular

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hi thread, does anyone recall the thought processes of getting a second guitar, or early expansion of the collection generally? I have the Marshall-branded Strat clone I started with and don't really use, an Epiphone G400 and a Gretsch Electromatic G2220 Junior Jet II bass.

I've had the Epiphone as my main guitar for over a decade, didn't put the hours in for much of that time, got the bass because I like Royal Blood and gave it some time in Rocksmith, now I'm also playing 6 string again and have made a lot of progress (I think) . So anyway, in a lot of ways I'm looking at getting my second guitar (Even though I have three, as one's a retired beginners guitar and the other a bass)

I'm going to try to get to a guitar shop in a few days, but right now I'm quiet interested in Gretsch's line. Aesthetically I really like the Electromatic Jet's v-stoptail, although I've trying to nail "Would?" which got me think a tremulo would be good, and maybe since my G400 is solid I should look at a hollow body?

What are some good things to try out in store by the way? Any tech stuff I should look at?

I’d check out all the things you’re interested in. A multi-fx might be cool. The cheapish Zoom ones have drum loops which are fun to jam with. Otherwise, lessons and/or a good book are always a pro choice.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wiring question:
I semi-recently rewired bird-tele to put a no-load tone pot in and replaced the LP-style pickup selector with a switchcraft one that was otherwise identical, but I broke the mini DPDT killswitch in the process and didn't feel like taking it apart again. I just went ahead and swapped out the DPDT (which was way more frustrating than I'm used to, I think I was in a clumsy way tonight) and got everything back together. While it all seems to be working, there's an odd quirk - in the middle pickup position if either the neck or bridge volume is at 0 there's absolutely no signal at all. It didn't do this before. It's not a huge deal but it caught me off guard. Before, in the middle position if one pickup volume was all the way down I'm pretty sure you'd still get signal from the other pickup, but now it just cuts everything. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the no-load tone pot or the replaced switch, but I can't really see how it could be either. Any ideas?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

songwriting hour:

i wrote a real blue albumy chord progression and demod it with real blue albumy tone and i wrote a melody to it and i realized:

it sucked dick because i am not rivers cuomo.

i think finally just doing a copy like that is freeing me to actually do other things

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Weezer copies I did a cover of "Say It Ain't So" a couple months ago.

lg helped me identify the guitars and amps I should be using and I really like the way the guitars came out following that advice. Was hoping lg would contribute some parts but to be fair lg has a full plate nowadays and the project got set aside.

In live music news I'm going back to Albemarle Saturday to see if these guys can play any of the three tunes we picked out to do-or-die this week!

In the meantime, one other thing about not being Rivers Cuomo is this poo poo is really really hard to sing well, so I opted to just sing it as best I could (not well).

https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/say-it-aint-so-mix-1-normalized

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Faustus posted:

Speaking of Weezer copies I did a cover of "Say It Ain't So" a couple months ago.

lg helped me identify the guitars and amps I should be using and I really like the way the guitars came out following that advice. Was hoping lg would contribute some parts but to be fair lg has a full plate nowadays and the project got set aside.

In live music news I'm going back to Albemarle Saturday to see if these guys can play any of the three tunes we picked out to do-or-die this week!

In the meantime, one other thing about not being Rivers Cuomo is this poo poo is really really hard to sing well, so I opted to just sing it as best I could (not well).

he's a tenor and i think most biologically male individuals are baritones so yeah, he can definitely hit a ton of stuff that makes it really difficult.

he has exactly the right voice to counteract distorted power chord accompaniment-- clear, clean vocal melody above the rhythm guitars.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My brain: "man I should get a dual rectifier"
My wallet: "you idiot we already bought a Mark V, that was like, our holy grail amp"
My brain: "yeah, but, like, recto"

save me from myself

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BizarroAzrael posted:

My process for new guitars is based on a few different things. I'll go through it.

First off, there's no steadfast rule. Guitars can be permanent, but also they don't have to be. If you buy something and don't like it, sell it and move on. You don't have to own a half dozen guitars, but nothing is stopping you from owning more if you want to. I like to remind myself, guitars are cool and all but they're just things. Some people like collecting for the sake of it. I only want guitars I'm going to play. We like to get emotionally tied to objects and it's pretty relieving to let go of things that serve no purpose in your life.

If I'm interested in a new guitar, I first ask myself "why do I want this?" I have to justify it to myself first.

You can certainly buy a guitar based on looks if that's important to you. I know people who have guitars they don't play/often but keep them because they like the looks. It's not normally my thing but I've bought a guitar based on looks, or it heavily influenced the purchase.

That said, I typically buy guitars to get certain tones. Single coil, filter trons, paf humbuckers, hollow body etc. I want to be able to play whatever genre I want and have the guitar for it. I won't go through every guitar I've owned but the ones I currently have.

My squier standard fat strat. It's my first real guitar and currently is HSH with Gibson 490/498s and a strat single coil. It was really worn out and beat up so I leveled and crowned the frets. I'm going to replace the pickups (probably hss) and refinish the body.

Gibson 50s tribute gold top les Paul. I always wanted a LP, especially a gold top. They just play and sound different. It was used and "only" $800, definitely my first "nice" guitar. I always wanted a standard or something nicer but couldn't swing $2500 at the time. I was getting married, work was going well, and I got a small bonus. I thought once I was married, I might not be able to spend frivolously so I treated myself.

Breedlove roots series acoustic. I had a lovely schecter acoustic so I really wanted to replace it as I was playing a lot more acoustic. In 2020 I paid off my student loans and decided to take what would be the monthly payment after they were paid off and treat myself. $1200 and I was on the hunt for an acoustic. I played everything in every store nearby. I was pretty settled on a Martin but I can't recall the model. I played a couple versions and was headed to go buy the one I wanted. I went to the used section and saw a breedlove roots series dreadnought. It plays and sounds so well I couldn't put it down. Made in the USA, retailed over $2k and was selling for $700. I bought it instead. It's a forever guitar.

Squier vintage modified thinline telecaster custom. The same day I was on my way home and stopped in another shop, for reasons I can't explain. They had a squier vintage modified thinline dual humbucker tele. I've always liked the look of that guitar and felt like, "it's time, I need a telecaster", plus it's a squier so it's not going to break the bank. I stayed in my budget and got two guitars. I love it, it's beautiful but it's not a telecaster. It sounds very different, much darker and woody vs true telecaster twang. I've got it for sale. It just didn't fill a tone that I wanted. If it doesn't sell, maybe I'll put filter trons in it.

Gretsch g5422tg. Over time, I liked the tone of a hollow body. I started wanting an es335 but I thought, "I've already got a few dual humbucker guitars". Then I started seeing good reviews about the gretsch streamliners. I played a few and thought for sure I was going to buy a 2622. They play well enough, sound great. But the more I looked into gretsch, I realized the real gretsch sound was filter trons and the streamliner wasn't it. I started playing the 5622 electromatics, but then they changed the new models to broad trons which were closer to humbuckers. I tried finding the older models with the super Hilo trons but they fetched new prices and were hard to find. I played one locally but it was in bad shape. I then tried 5422s because they're thicker, fully hollow vs centerblock, and have filter trons. I found one for $600 vs the $1k new. I really love bigsbys now that I've got one. I LOVE this guitar. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.

Fender player telecaster. I told myself that was it. 5 guitars was as many as I ever wanted. I can cover a lot of sounds tonally. Then I saw a fender player telecaster for cheap so I bought it. It's blonde with as black pickguard. Perfect. It gives me the real tele twang and I love playing it. I decided to put my thinline up for sale when I got this. It sounds incredible and plays great.

There's really not much else I could even want right now. Maybe a jazzmaster, or something with p90s, a cabronita telecaster with filtertrons ... Who knows but I'm set for now. If anything I'm building out pedals. I only ever used to use an OD but now I want to get into more ambient stuff and I'm looking at big sky reverb, and/or a boss sy200 synth but that stuff adds up.

I still have the same sovtek amp I've had since highschool, 25 years ago.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

he's a tenor and i think most biologically male individuals are baritones so yeah, he can definitely hit a ton of stuff that makes it really difficult.

he has exactly the right voice to counteract distorted power chord accompaniment-- clear, clean vocal melody above the rhythm guitars.

Rivers has (had?) a pretty great falsetto too and was very good at smoothly transitioning out of his falsetto. Think of the verses on Hash Pipe.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hell yeah

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Kind of a follow on from my previous question: What's the best way to mute a D chord? I need to play a D a few times then get a full 6 string mute for a song I'm learning.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wiring question:
I semi-recently rewired bird-tele to put a no-load tone pot in and replaced the LP-style pickup selector with a switchcraft one that was otherwise identical, but I broke the mini DPDT killswitch in the process and didn't feel like taking it apart again. I just went ahead and swapped out the DPDT (which was way more frustrating than I'm used to, I think I was in a clumsy way tonight) and got everything back together. While it all seems to be working, there's an odd quirk - in the middle pickup position if either the neck or bridge volume is at 0 there's absolutely no signal at all. It didn't do this before. It's not a huge deal but it caught me off guard. Before, in the middle position if one pickup volume was all the way down I'm pretty sure you'd still get signal from the other pickup, but now it just cuts everything. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the no-load tone pot or the replaced switch, but I can't really see how it could be either. Any ideas?

This is normal with most middle positions. I'd have to see the wiring on your guitar, but on a les paul if you turn down one pickup all the way in the middle position it cuts all the signal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Say it ain’t so is within the range of a baritone but it requires transitioning into a higher register at the chorus.

Really classical voice classifications kind of break down when it comes to rock singing since a lot of rock/pop singing is singers going outside of what would classically be considered their “proper” range.

Physiologically the difference between a baritone and tenor is just a few semitones. Rivers Cuomo may be a tenor but their cover of Take On Me shifts it down a little from the original, placing it within the range of a baritone singer with a good control of their head voice.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Travic posted:

Kind of a follow on from my previous question: What's the best way to mute a D chord? I need to play a D a few times then get a full 6 string mute for a song I'm learning.

Lift up with your 3 D chord fingers, while also touching the edge of your index finger to string 4. Wrap thumb around the top to touch strings 5 & 6.

If the thumb won’t reach yet, I’ve found I can leave my middle and ring fingers in place and extend my index finger straight up to mute all 6 with it. That way it’s just one finger switching between muted and chorded.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

massive spider posted:

Say it ain’t so is within the range of a baritone but it requires transitioning into a higher register at the chorus.

Really classical voice classifications kind of break down when it comes to rock singing since a lot of rock/pop singing is singers going outside of what would classically be considered their “proper” range.

Physiologically the difference between a baritone and tenor is just a few semitones. Rivers Cuomo may be a tenor but their cover of Take On Me shifts it down a little from the original, placing it within the range of a baritone singer with a good control of their head voice.

I was alone in the car a couple weeks ago and A-Ha's version came on, I figured since no one was around I could sing as poorly and loudly as necessary and wanted to see if I could push my falsetto to that high note. The absolute highest note I can hit is about a semitone flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Travic posted:

gregday posted:

Lift up with your 3 D chord fingers, while also touching the edge of your index finger to string 4. Wrap thumb around the top to touch strings 5 & 6.

If the thumb won’t reach yet, I’ve found I can leave my middle and ring fingers in place and extend my index finger straight up to mute all 6 with it. That way it’s just one finger switching between muted and chorded.

In addition (or instead of) rest the palm of your picking hand on all the strings an inch or two in front of the bridge. Your pick hand is a wonderful "mute all the strings" button.