Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

How do speed running records work? Will the 28 minute runs just stand forever even if the speed run meta moves to the latest patch?

Usually if it's something big enough to completely invalidate prior runs they'll fork all the previous records to be under an "Any % - pre (patch number)" category. Sometimes speedrunners just straight up don't patch beyond the version of the game they like the best but they're unlikely to do that here since the game is so new and they will probably just find new ways to break it that render it unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How do speed running records work? Will the 28 minute runs just stand forever even if the speed run meta moves to the latest patch?

generally unless there's something special about a patch (not available through normal means (physical disc versions) or in certain regions, or if a patch removes a major, important piece of tech required by serious runs) the patch version may be a little footnote on the run's time but it'll still stand.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For people leaning on Hoarfrost and Bloody Slash let me introduce you to my three friends Square Off, Unsheathe and Giant Hunt that perform the function of "I need to do damage in a window and I want to do it with one button".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Appoda posted:

honestly that wouldn't even be that big of a deal; most bosses have moves that ignore shield blocks or still blow out your stamina even with high stam and guard. The duration was pretty short to begin with anyway, wasn't it?
not sure you understand what I'm saying-barricade could(and still can) reach 100 guard boost(aka stability) with many shields, including brass shield and carian shield. if you are at 100 guard boost you lose no stamina from blocking anything of any kind.
most bosses don't actually have grab attacks, and learning just 1 attack timing to dodge while effortlessly blocking everything else is way easier than learning the attack timings of the whole moveset. before this patch barricade meant you sleepwalked through basically every boss minus melania and maliketh.

short duration didn't really matter when turning on the buff was nearly instant and you blocked during it, now it's short enough that it kind of does, but the main thing is the FP cost increase.
now you can't really keep it on whenever you block anymore, you need to just use it during specific problem attacks. so you're actually thinking about resource management, which is good-shield tanking has always had to manage stamina, so an ability that lets you not lose stamina on block should require spending a meaningful amount of a different resource instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nah. If all the runners decide to move on to 1.03, then they'll likely keep 1.02 runs to its own category.

edit: but also runners tend to like playing whatever version is fastest, unless the thing that makes a version fast is really unfun to execute.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 17, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ground Slam remains king of the physical weapon arts, baby

giant hunt is also a secret Invasion/PvP tool. get a hit in and immediately use Giant Hunt and you WILL catch someone trying to roll away due to the timing and the move's super long reach. The fact that you can put it on colossal swords makes it hilarious strong against nerds trying to outplay your slow recovery.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Gologle posted:

Other good items: St Trina's Sword is basically the best Sleep item in the game, and Sleep itself is very VERY underrated as of right now. Nox Flowing Hammer is the longest range hammer in the game with its weapon art. The fire incantations besides Fire's Deadly Sin still pretty good. Someone already mentioned Flame of the Redmanes. Golden Parry is actually really useful, the extra range means a lot more than you would think.

BTW, you can still do some absolutely silly poo poo with critical hits and Determination/Royal Knight's Resolve.

Slap that RKR on Misericorde (dagger with the highest crit rating in the game) and keep it ready to nail a fucker after you hit them with Trina. It's like an easier version of bloodloss spam.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Wow lake of rot and grand cloister are dumpster fires of level designs; not sure if that's a series staple or just something that snuck into this game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm too salty to read patch notes, did they do anything to the final boss?

Because this poo poo is awful and it's making me even more annoyed that they apparently nerfed the stuff I've been using.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

No Mods No Masters posted:

They'll run whichever version of the game is the fastest to complete (the old one)

Was going to say that if you have a disc copy, you could always just reinstall the game, and take your system offline if you want to play without the new patches. You don't have access to online play, but that's one way to go about it. With the Demon's Souls remake, you can do that and get access to the Gold Coin/Infinite Luck exploit.

Also, what was the deal with Moonveil? Was that the weapon that had super-good split damage that someone was talking about?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also the other renowned Ashes are still preeeeeetty good you guys. My two favorites are Tiche (for obvious reasons if you've used her at all) and Lhutel, but IIRC the Nightmaiden and Swordstress ash is also pretty good because they are a duo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Philthy posted:

no dont take my stomp away

its all i had

I sorta feel the same, I love From's games but lord I'm not actually good at them. I was kind of trying to stop relying on it so much, but not really doing a good job at that.

so it goes

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I've heard people singing the praises of the Cleanrot Knight ash you can get, say it can solo bosses easily. Prolly gonna move on to that one if I don't still find my mimic spamming perfumes useful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's really good at soloing bosses, yeah. All 3 of them left in the game by the time you get it lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oxyclean posted:

maybe but probably not

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I honestly have no idea what I'm going to use on my whip set up as an int user other than hoarfrost; Whips don't exactly get great ashes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hoarfrost is still probably going to be super good, just not as super good. the damage was nice but the important thing was the range and frost procs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is Hoarfrost completely worthless now or are people overreacting? Just because an insanely OP thing was nerfed doesn't mean it's now unusable.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

There are now icons on the map noting where npcs are.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is Hoarfrost completely worthless now or are people overreacting? Just because an insanely OP thing was nerfed doesn't mean it's now unusable.

It's still good

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pidia (or his bell bearing) is selling a new ambiguous map. Now this is the kind of content drop I'm talking about

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Was going to say that if you have a disc copy, you could always just reinstall the game, and take your system offline if you want to play without the new patches. You don't have access to online play, but that's one way to go about it. With the Demon's Souls remake, you can do that and get access to the Gold Coin/Infinite Luck exploit.

Also, what was the deal with Moonveil? Was that the weapon that had super-good split damage that someone was talking about?

Moonveil is a really strong dex/int hybrid katana that deals hybrid slash/magic damage and scales very well with both stats (although it seems like it's a bit better with int than dex). The thing that makes it really strong though is the weapon skill, which is the same as the standard uchigatana weapon skill but adds a big wide magic damage arc that will hit in addition to the physical sword itself and travels forward to give it some range. It deals a ton of damage and comes out very quickly, and doesn't really have any sort of downside like a high FP cost or long recovery.

All of that stuff is untouched, the only change is that apparently the weapon skill deals less poise damage than it used to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I demand more HP based ashes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

has anyone actually been saying it's unusable

anyways it's still pretty good

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They also didn't change how Bleed or Frost (or any status effect) works at all, meaning if you liked Hoarfrost for the Frostbite proc, you can still chain trigger it by using another weapon/item/spell with a Fire affinity, which instantly resets Frostbite on hit, and then smack them again with your Frost weapon/spell/item to proc it. The point of this post and the other ones I've made is to reassure people that there are absolutely tons of other super good strats and items you can use, a handful of stuff getting nerfed won't destroy your ability to have fun in this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess people are labbing, how bad did the sword of night and fire get smacked

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, what's the "intended" path to get up onto the Atlus Plateau? Sir Gideon tells you to go there, but he doesn't tell you anything further as far as I know. I made it to the Grand Lift, but I only had the other half of the medallion because my cousin told me where it was when he was watching me run around Caelid. Is there anything that points you to it, like with the other half of the Haligtree medallion? I don't know why you'd think to run around doing random forts in a lovely place like Caelid at this point in the game, especially ones full of rear end in a top hat bats with poison and instakill grabs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phenotype posted:

Hey, what's the "intended" path to get up onto the Atlus Plateau? I made it to the Grand Lift, but I only had the other half of the medallion because my cousin told me where it was when he was watching me run around Caelid. Is there anything that points you to it, like with the other half of the Haligtree medallion? I don't know why you'd think to run around doing random forts in a lovely place like Caelid at this point in the game, especially ones full of rear end in a top hat bats with poison and instakill grabs.

There's a tunnel path in the far, far north of Liurnia that takes you up to the plateau.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So I'm hearing Sword of Night and Flame's beam now does 1/3 of the damage and the fire slash does 2/3. Given that the former was doing 3000 damage per beam at minimum required stats before that's bad but not unusable, as that makes it now just merely good instead of completely busted?

Has anyone done more testing?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Wow they really brought in the full force of fun police for this thing. Jesus. That's just one patch. I'm still waiting for the next one that toasts Comet Azur. Need to go back and test all the spells again post-patch to see if they actually did sorcery a good turn. Glad I got to use the good WAs before they got dumpstered.

Oxyclean posted:

They removed all the things that made it die faster. Enjoy!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

It's gone from "instant boss killer" to "crowd controller and frostbite proccer"

It's still good you now just have to use it like an actual part of combat instead of L2L2L2L2L2L2L2

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

I'm at 22 dex 70 int, Hoarfrost does about 80% of the damage of a Thunderbolt weapon art with Lightning scaling. It's definitely pretty bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Hey, what's the "intended" path to get up onto the Atlus Plateau? Sir Gideon tells you to go there, but he doesn't tell you anything further as far as I know. I made it to the Grand Lift, but I only had the other half of the medallion because my cousin told me where it was when he was watching me run around Caelid. Is there anything that points you to it, like with the other half of the Haligtree medallion? I don't know why you'd think to run around doing random forts in a lovely place like Caelid at this point in the game, especially ones full of rear end in a top hat bats with poison and instakill grabs.

Theres an NPC who directs you to one of those forts as well. Theres two other alternate ways in as well

The Haligtree I had gently caress all knowledge of where/what/how I was supposed to know that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

has anyone actually been saying it's unusable

There have been multiple people acting like it is, including the person two posts above mine. And other people are acting like they need to find a whole new build now that their favorite toy has been nerfed. I'm just saying, if you're super worried about the nerfs then maybe just chill a little and try sticking with whatever you were using for a bit before completely writing it off.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mailer posted:

Glad I got to use the good WAs before they got dumpstered.
nothing got "dumpstered" this patch you baby. overpowered stuff got tapped down a peg but like, moonveil is still mostly the same, hoarfrost is still good, night and flame still pretty good, mimic tear still lives forever etc

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Phenotype posted:

The item description for the first half of the medallion literally tells you where to find the other half.

If you meet Rya next to the telescope in Liurnia, she tells you about the cliff/cave path up that leads to the magma wyrm makar fight. If you get captured by the virgin at the bottom of the water-wheel in the Academy (likely because patches kicked you down there), you'll get taken to a small section of the volcano manor where, upon defeating the boss there, lets you out into altus. Otherwise, you're supposed to just stumble upon it.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 17, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also a lot of spells got big buffs this patch, just so we're clear. lower FP costs, higher damage, sometimes both!

quote:

Reduced FP consumption and increased the damage of the following sorceries: Glintstone Cometshard/ Comet/ Night Comet
Increased the damage of the following sorceries: Gravity Well/ Collapsing Stars/ Crystal Barrage
Decreased FP consumption of the following sorceries: Star Shower/ Rock Blaster/ Gavel of Haima/ Founding Rain of Stars/ Stars of Ruin/Greatblade Phalanx/Magic Downpour/ Loretta’s Greatbow/ Loretta’s Mastery/ Carian Greatsword/ Carian Piercer/ Shard Spiral
Raised projectile speed and range of Great Glintstone Shard
(as a random example, Stars of Ruin went from 50 FP cost to 38)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh god it's beautiful

Seems to have marked all the random merchants i've encountered as well, not sure what it does for someone who's moved though. Does it show their last location or will it show where they've gone to?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This game has tons of different arts and they slapped the ones everyone went to. Play the drat game. Try things out instead of easy buttons.

These changes are cool on my new sorcerer build - just beat Godrick so still super early for all these new quests and spells to try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

The item description on the medallion halves themselves tell you where the other half is, so you only need to find one of them (and there is an NPC quest to one of the places where you find one, although they don't tell you that's what will be there).