Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Aren’t you supposed to sit with your butthole on the tip of the pyramid?

why am I the only person who has that dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My wife says I’m irresponsible because I showed “Spider-Man” to our son

quote:

My (42) almost 6-year-old son has a great passion for superheroes, especially Spider-Man. We've seen many Marvel movies together and he's always enjoyed them, especially Homecoming and Far From Home, the ones who feature his favorite superhero.

Since the latest Spider-Man has just been released digitally, I thought it would be a nice idea to do a rewatch of the entire saga with him, since he has never seen the previous films. So we started with Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man", and he liked the first part of the movie a lot, he was really enjoying himself... until Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin appeared.

My son was terrified of this character and in the scenes where he appeared he would scream and cry, so I skipped straight to the movie's ending to show him that Spider-man eventually saved MJ and defeated goblin. This calmed him at first, but then, last night, he had a nightmare and woke up crying. Now he's so scared that he doesn't want his mother and I to leave the house anymore, he cries because he says it's dangerous and the Green Goblin will kidnap and kill us.

I tried to play it down by telling him that Spider-man will save us in the end, but my wife (37) got really pissed off at me. She says I'm an irresponsible rear end in a top hat because I shouldn't show our son “such a violent movie”. I tried to explain her that “Spider-Man” is not a dangerous film and that every child born in the late 1990s has grown up watching it, but she says that "films like that are crap and are bad for our son".

I replied that there are superhero stories that are very educational and express important values, which can teach children good things and help them grow. She should avoid generalizing in this way and that “Spider-Man” has a very important moral too. I told her that as a child I was scared by watching Darth Vader in the Star Wars trilogy and that it's something normal for a child; this fear our son has will be over in a few weeks.

But she keeps saying I'm irresponsible and doesn't want me to watch movies with my son anymore, until he's grown up. And this thing bothers me a lot! First of all because she treats me like a madman who wants to scare our son; and then because I really like watching movies with him, it's a passion that unites us and makes us spend time together. I thought I could see a psychologist, even if it seems exaggerated to me, but maybe a professional opinion could calm my wife down.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You can never predict what might scare the poo poo out of a kid, but 6 is old enough that you can normally expect Spider Man to be safe.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's ponytail English?

Oh, it's a shorthand for the peculiar method of expression present in this post from an older iteration of the thread. Here it is since it hasn't been posted in a pretty long time:

She pulled her hair back into a ponytail

quote:

Wow, I cannot believe my mom stooped so low...

My mom called my doctor and said to him "What's the most accurate measurement for weighing?" The doctor said "An underwater weighing test" And just like that, my mom said "Yes. When can my son and my daughter can take it?" and the doc said "Today at 2pm."

So, I didn't bother taking a shower and so did my sister too, so I had to get into a special swimming suit(tight pants...Ugh).

My sister said "Can I pull my hair down to a ponytail?" The doctor said "No." So my sister with her long, blonde hair went underwater with 8 seconds and had she must enjoyed it..but I didn't.

My sister had to wear pants and a bra, so she enjoyed minutes of going underwater. I didn't take a shower and she didn't too.

Before she got into the tank, you see girls 'pretend' to pull their hair into ponytails, but they don't. That's what she did.

The reason for this topic to not get too confusing is that don't you guys like to see teenage girls in a tank with their hair and their body soaked and wet? That's the reason for this topic.

You want a detailed summary of what happened today? Alright, here goes:

My mom wanted to do something instead of weighing myself on a scale. She heard about a underwater weighing test from my doctor last year and she wanted to give it a try to both, myself and my sister.

She called the doctor and wanted to schedule an appointment for my sister and I and today was the only day they could get us in. So my mom told both of us you don't need to take a shower if you don't want to(since I got up at 12pm and she got up at 12:30p.m.) It goes on from there with the underwater weighing at the doctor's office.

My sister constantly talks about her hair. "Should I wash it?" "Should I pull my hair up or leave it down?" Stuff like that. It wasn't my idea to take this underwater weighing thing. The doctor puts you in a tank (and I didn't have a shower), makes you do certain things of breathing, and you put your head underwater for a few seconds. Not hard at all.

To answer you question, before my sister and I got into the tank, the doctor did a basic weight test then I got into the tank and did some breathing excerises to see how my lungs would be situated underwater. Then the doctor took the temperature of the water inside the tank. After I taken my underwater tests, I had to stick my head underwater for 8 seconds and it was done. 30 minutes its all it take.

About the topic title:

I have a life on an off day from school. I didn't expect to go to my doctor's office and take an underwater weighing test. That said with my sister. I wasn't mad at my mom for doing this, but if she would've let me know about it days in advance, then it would be okay.

About the hair:

Everytime I go swimming at the YMCA, I see girls having their hair down and it doesn't disrupt them when they are swimming because it would get in the way, wouldn't it? You know if you've ever seen girls at your school that grab their hair and they look like they are going to pull their hair up, but don't.

About the shower:

Both my sister and I didn't feel like taking a shower yesterday because it was around noon time and had little time to get ready to go to the doctor's office. My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports bra, so she enjoyed every minute of going underwater. I DIDN'T ENJOY IT BECAUSE IT WAS MY DAY OFF FROM SCHOOL?! MY SISTER ENJOYED IT BECAUSE SHE HAD LITTLE ON GOING ON, WHILE I DID!

About the reason for the underwater test:

My mom wanted to do something instead of weighing myself on a scale. She heard about a underwater weighing test from my doctor last year and she wanted to give it a try to both, myself and my sister. I didn't enjoy the test but my sister did.

Again about the hair:

I go down to the YMCA and see where girls pretend to pull their hair back so it does or does not get in the way but the doctor said she couldnt for the underwater test through we had not taken a shower either

About the shower:

So my mom told both of us you don't need to take a shower if you don't want to so I didn't take a shower and she didn't too. Before she got into the tank, you see girls 'pretend' to pull their hair up, but they don't. That's what she did.

More about the topic title:

I have a life on an off day from school. I didn't expect to go to my doctor's office and take an underwater weighing test. That said with my sister. So I was mad at my mother and I wasn't going to take a shower if she said I had to but she let me skip the shower. Anyways I wasn't thinking well and was saving time (saving time by not taking a shower too) so I posted the topic title that I thought of because I was mad.

More about the hair:

She skipped the shower around noon. As said same goes with me. Then we took the underwater tests. My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports bra, so she enjoyed every minute of going underwater. Before that she tried to put her hair up but she wasn't allowed to. The doctor said no. So she did to her hair like what I see when I go down to the YMCA and see where girls pretend to pull their hair back.

About the water:

The water is located in a room that is different than the office. It is in a different location. My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports bra in a different room than the doctors office. My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports bra in the room with the water.

About the underwater test:

My mom wanted to do something instead of weighing myself on a scale.

More about my sister:

My sister was in tight clothing due to the test. My sister was wet just like me because the test was in a tank of water. My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports brain the room with the water. My sister did not wear tight pants and a sports bra in the office. My sister had to change into tight pants and a sports bra in the restroom before we got into the room with the water. I too had to change before and after the water room and did so in the restroom.

About the test:

To answer you question, before my sister and I got into the tank, the doctor did a basic weight test then I got into the tank and did some breathing excerises to see how my lungs would be situated underwater. Then the doctor took the temperature of the water inside the tank. After I completed my underwater tests which were underwater, I had to stick my head underwater for 8 seconds and it was done. 30 minutes its all it take.

This process then goes repeated for my sister.

After around noon I did not take a shower. Then the doctor did a basic weight test then I got into the tank and did some breathing excerises to see how my lungs would be situated underwater. I did not drown or lose oxygen during this process.

About the clothing:

My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports bra. I had to ware tight clothing as well.

About why I'm mad:

I have a life on an off day from school. I didn't expect to go to my doctor's office and take an underwater weighing test.I was happy with the off day from school and I got a off shower day too. Then we had to get tested underwater.

She's 17 years old Long hair Tan Usually has her hair up but like I the doctor didn't let her so she made her hair like the girls I see down to the YMCA where people pretend to pull their hair back.

My sister enjoyed the tight clothing. My mother forces us to take showers. However we had an off school day and I guess was nice and gave us an off shower day. Nether the less I would not have took a shower due to my anger. I would have enjoyed the tight clothing but however I was angery due to the test so I did not enjoy so.

About the topic title:

I have a life on an off day from school. I didn't expect to go to my doctor's office and take an underwater weighing test. That said with my sister. I wasn't mad at my mom for doing this, but if she would've let me know about it days in advance, then it would be okay.I couldn't think of a topic so I said "Stooped so low."

About the house:

The house contains a kitchen , two bathrooms, a living room, a dining room, three bedrooms and a basement. Like I said I got up at noon did not take the shower. My sister did not take the shower. Then we went to the underwater test.

My sister also did not take a shower before taking the underwater test that got us wet. My sister found it enjoyable to be in the water because for the underwater test she was required to ware a sports bra and tight clothing. She and I got wet in the underwater test. Is it not enjoyable for you guys to be soaked and wet in tight clothing ?

I find it enjoy able to be wet in tight clothing. She was wearing tight pants and a sports bra and therefore found it enjoyable.Same for my sister. However it needs to be said that showers I do not find enjoyable. Same goes for me sister. Yes if I am going to get wet I would prefer to be in tight clothing. Because I enjoy being wet in tight clothing . Same goes for my sister. We were both wet during the underwater test.

I do look at girls at the YMCA when they are swimming. I mean have you ever watched what girls do to there hair at the YMCA. Watch girls at the YMCA. You will see the girls do that. I saw my sister do that too after the doctor said she couldn't put her hair in a ponytail.

I think I made mistake somewhere. I was in the room with her and so was my mother. However only me and my sister took the test. We each got in to the tank seperately. She was waring a sports bra and tight pants and had not took a shower that day. The doctor said she couldn't so she did was those YMCA girls did.

My sister and I did not take a shower because our mom let us have an off shower day. Then we went to the underwater testing that caused us to both ware tight clothing and get wet. Really its not a big deal that we had an off shower day. Due to the fact that I spent a lot of time underwater in clorinated water it killed the germs anyways. It also killed my sister's germs irregaurdless of the fact she was in tight clothing.

I do not like showers because I do not like getting wet if I am not in tight clothing. The same goes for my sister. However it needs to be said that my sister did enjoy being in a sports bra and tight clothing. I take showers like normal because my mom forces me. I didn't like the pool because my mom made me take the underwater test on an off school day and an off shower day.

I keep describing my sister in order to describe the clothing that she was waring. It was tight clothing. I do not like getting wet because it bothers me. However me and my sister like to get wet if we are in tight clothing. However my sister doesn't dislike being wet. It makes it ok because I enjoy it. Its a combination of being wet and nude I dislike. However my sister does not dislike this.

My sister is 17. I already posted this. I am 16 years old. She makes me take vitamins. We used to take baths together when we were like 3. However that is normal. We only had one bathroom and two bedrooms back then. Now our house has 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms , a dining room , a kitchen, a basement, and a living room. I am detailing the house because someone accused me of living in a gingerbread house.

I used to play runescape for a year but my mom made me stop. My sister used to play also. However our mother made us stop because we played so much. She has more of a life than me now but still I still have a life. I am stocky

I have friends in school and talk to them. My sister also has a lot of friends. I am part of the bowling club. I bowled a 160 last week. My sister does not belong to that club. However my sister only likes Lord of the Rings. My sister enjoyed the underwater test while she ware a sports bra and tight clothing.

She watches the television show Grey's anatomy all the time. She likes that show. It is a show that she enjoys watching. I don't enjoy it. She does not watch me she watches Grey's anatomy.

She has not been to the dentist since she was 4. She went to a crappy one and it scared her.I have to go often because my teeth are bad. She does not go because she is scared. I do not like dogs. She likes pretty much all dogs but she likes small dogs better. However she likes all dogs unlike me.

Today my mom made my sister and me take a shower. I didn't like it. My sister was ok. Today was another off-school day. Our family is a christian family. My sister is a christain. Same goes for me.

I am going to bed. I am sure this will still be alive this morning

Mx. posted:

OP sounds a little beme.jpg but yeah spider-man isn't something he should've known would upset his son. Explaining to the son that the green goblin is not a real person and is incapable of coming to bother him, and is portrayed by the actor Willem Dafoe who is probably perfectly nice seems like a smarter thing to do rather than tell him someone who doesn't exist will protect him from danger.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gnoman posted:

You can never predict what might scare the poo poo out of a kid, but 6 is old enough that you can normally expect Spider Man to be safe.

I have a family member who at the age of 5 had no issue with lord of the rings movies and orcs getting fuckin beheaded but freaked out on Peppa Pig. You can never really tell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well son, Green Goblin is just an imaginary character and can't hurt you. Unlike his actor Willem Defoe's gigantic penis. That thing is just an absolute monster, like a babys arm holding an apple. He could club you to death with that thing, its awe inspiring. Probably need a surgeon to unwind your guts if he gave it to you.

Anyway good night

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
willem dafoe is a scary guy in that movie

but, like, a little fear is good for kids. Grimm's fairy tales endure for a reason - they let kids experience uncomfortable emotions in a safe context.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When I was a kid my grandfather used to tell me that Milton Berle had to tuck his gargantuan penis into his sock garters.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
The guy said movie watching is his passion and therefore :murder:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, it's a shorthand for the peculiar method of expression present in this post from an older iteration of the thread. Here it is since it hasn't been posted in a pretty long time:

She pulled her hair back into a ponytail

Every time I read this I manage to figure out one or two things. Like I guess he was annoyed that he had to go to the doctor on his day off while his sister got to go instead of a school day or something? Or possibly she didn't have plans while he did (maybe creeping on girls at the YMCA, I dunno).

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I think they both had the day off from school, so it's the second one.

quote:

I DIDN'T ENJOY IT BECAUSE IT WAS MY DAY OFF FROM SCHOOL?! MY SISTER ENJOYED IT BECAUSE SHE HAD LITTLE ON GOING ON, WHILE I DID!

quote:

I do look at girls at the YMCA when they are swimming. I mean have you ever watched what girls do to there hair at the YMCA. Watch girls at the YMCA. You will see the girls do that. I saw my sister do that too after the doctor said she couldn't put her hair in a ponytail.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for making a Henry the 8th joke in front of my ex-BIL

quote:

My sister “Julie” [42] was married to “Jeff” [48] for 10 years, they have a daughter [12F] that was the result of multiple rounds of fertility treatments and stress. My sister definitely had difficulties of her own, but I always had a sense that the problem was partly Jeff, even though they never acknowledged it and it was always “we.”

They divorced 4 years ago, in part bc Jeff wanted another kid and Julie was over it because he wasn’t pulling his weight with the kid they already had and she didn’t want to do more fertility treatments. Jeff initiated the divorce but Julie wasn’t too broken up about it and frankly I wasn’t either. I found Jeff to be controlling, narcissistic, unsupportive, even emotionally manipulative partner. He was also having an affair.

Julie married this guy “Mike” who is a great guy and a fantastic stepdad to their daughter. She got pregnant at 40 while they were engaged (whoops) and she’s now pregnant again at 42. Mike is a SAHP and their marriage is a lot of healthier, which is part of the reason why Julie was open to more kids.

Meanwhile Jeff and his 28yo former-affair-partner-turned-wife still don’t have any kids. I don’t know if they’re privately doing their 90th round of IVF or on adoption waitlists or have given up, but he’s visibly bitter about 42yo Julie having kids so make of that what you will.

Anyone with vague knowledge of history can probably see where this is going. We were at a party for their daughter at my parents’ house and I was talking to Mike’s sister. She said something about Jeff’s wife not being there and implied they might not last much longer since they always seemed to be having problems. I said something like “oh you know how it goes: divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.”

Unfortunately Jeff came around the corner and had overheard us. He was pissed and got up in my face about it and called me an rear end in a top hat. He clearly understood the reference but still accused me of “threatening his wife” and joking about violence against her. He also took it as a jibe about his apparent infertility which TBF it was.

My sister deescalated and Jeff left. After, I told her what I’d said and she said I shouldn’t have started poo poo with him even if I wasn’t trying to be overheard. I told her that Mike’s sisters comment was just as bad and Jeff only got mad at me because I’m a dude he actually knows, and my sister said to just stop being an rear end in a top hat because it was literally a below the belt remark and I shouldn’t joke about something Jeff took so personally. She blamed me for ruining her daughter’s party and I felt really guilty at that. Unlike my sister my parents at least thought it was a good joke but agreed it was my fault and want me to apologize to Jeff to keep the peace. Mike’s sister said Mike is mad at her too for starting it and laughing at my joke.

TL;DR: My sister’s cheating rear end in a top hat ex overheard me comparing him to Henry VIII because he left my sister to have a kid with a 24yo and now my sister is on her second kid with her new husband and he’s still SOL.

:bravo:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Aren’t you supposed to sit with your butthole on the tip of the pyramid?

Only if it has a flared base

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E4: To whoever forwarded my r/legaladvice post to my former boss, gently caress you, I'll find out who you are and I'm coming for you as soon as I get out of jail.

Is this real?

Please tell me this is real.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Barudak posted:

I have a family member who at the age of 5 had no issue with lord of the rings movies and orcs getting fuckin beheaded but freaked out on Peppa Pig. You can never really tell.

My nephew was about 5 years old and was obsessed with sci fi space ships and such. Surprisingly he had never heard of Star Wars so I showed it to him and he fell in love with it. He had no problems with Darth Vader or gross aliens or Jabba the Hutt or any of that. Eventually we got to the Force Awakens and he absolutely lost his poo poo at Maz Kanata.

He was babbling about the 'evil raisin monster' for months, he had nightmares about her, he could not stand that awful little creature.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Hughlander posted:

Why are you inviting your sister's abusive cheating ex-husband and his mistress to parties?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hughlander posted:

Tell the cheater with the narrow urethra to go pound sand.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Batterypowered7 posted:

Tell the cheater with the narrow urethra to go pound sand.

The characters who aren't OP are badly decorum poisoned. That boat-rocking post, the only readable thing to ever come out of r/justnomil seems apropos

Don't rock the boat.

quote:

Don't rock the boat.

I've been thinking about this phrase a lot lately, about how unfair it is. Because we aren't the ones rocking the boat. It's the crazy lady jumping up and down and running side to side. Not the one sitting in the corner quietly not giving a gently caress.

At some point in her youth, Mum/MIL gave the boat a little nudge. And look how everyone jumped to steady the boat! So she does it again, and again. Soon her family is in the habit of swaying to counteract the crazy. She moves left, they move right, balance is restored (temporarily). Life goes on. People move on to boats of their own.

The boat-rocker can't survive in a boat by herself. She's never had to face the consequences of her rocking. She'll tip over. So she finds an enabler: someone so proud of his boat-steadying skills that he secretly (or not so secretly) lives for the rocking.

The boat-rocker escalates. The boat-steadier can't manage alone, but can't let the boat tip. After all, he's the best boat-steadier ever, and that can't be true if his boat capsizes, so therefore his boat can't capsize. How can they fix the situation?

Ballast!

And the next generation of boat-steadiers is born.

A born boat-steadier doesn't know what solid ground feels like. He's so used to the constant swaying that anything else feels wrong and he'll fall over. There's a good chance the boat-rocker never taught him to swim either. He'll jump at the slightest twitch like his life depends on it, because it did .

When you're in their boat, you're expected to help steady it. When you decline, the other boat-steadiers get resentful. Look at you, just sitting there while they do all the work! They don't see that you aren't the one making the boat rock. They might not even see the life rafts available for them to get out. All they know is that the boat can't be allowed to tip, and you're not helping.

Now you and your DH get a boat of your own. With him not there, the balance of the boat changes. The remaining boat-steadiers have to work even harder.

While a rocking boat is most concerning to those inside, it does cause ripples. The nearby boats start to worry. They're getting splashed! Somebody do something!

So the flying monkeys are dispatched. Can't you and DH see how much better it is for everyone (else) if you just get back on the boat and keep it steady? It would make their lives so much easier.

You know what would be easier? If they all just chucked the bitch overboard.

Thank you for letting me ramble. Thanks for the support, and advice, and humour. Thanks for just being here :)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

haveblue posted:

IIRC there was an update to that where without thinking he offered the HR person a drink and the meeting went downhill from there

:hellyeah:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mx. posted:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Why are you inviting your sister's abusive cheating ex-husband and his mistress to parties?

It was a party for their daughter, presumably she wanted both her parents there. :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's only a couple of hours old. https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/tfltw3/aita_for_yeling_at_my_fiance_and_calling_him/ (When you're searching Reddit, always set the time period to the last week, or else you will get irrelevant garbage, even when the title matches perfectly.)

"This thread is now locked due to an excess of rule viloations"

They were insulting a man :ohdear:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"This thread is now locked due to an excess of rule viloations"

They were insulting a man :ohdear:

I don't think there's any mystery about who the rear end in a top hat is here, but every one of these stories about someone losing data because they don't have a non-local backup just fills me with anxiety. People are going about their jobs or working on big personal projects just a drive failure away from catastrophic data loss even if an rear end in a top hat doesn't pop up in their lives.

It wouldn't have taken much to make sure she could pick up where she left off faster than it took to kick out the fiance.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Nah, he did nothing wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't think there's any mystery about who the rear end in a top hat is here, but every one of these stories about someone losing data because they don't have a non-local backup just fills me with anxiety. People are going about their jobs or working on big personal projects just a drive failure away from catastrophic data loss even if an rear end in a top hat doesn't pop up in their lives.

It wouldn't have taken much to make sure she could pick up where she left off faster than it took to kick out the fiance.

Oh god yes. That part made me wince.

I have my poo poo set up to save to local drives, NAS, thumb drives and cloud storage. Not all at the same time, I mean. But I have them set from auto save every few minutes to daily and weekly backups.

I started my career back during the age of floppy disks and loving zip drives. I'm all too familiar with data loss, even when you do your best.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Thanks to this thread my brain keeps tacking on a "(66m)" after "Willem Dafoe".

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Green Goblin throws a dang bomb and like 3 people just turn into skeletons

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Thanks to this thread my brain keeps tacking on a "(66m)" after "Willem Dafoe".

Better than me seeing 66cm

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I used to be scared of the air conditioner dying of a violent, fiery seizure in Brave Little Toaster. I found Mars Attacks hilarious at about the same age though.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for evicting my sister and her daughters after the hid my wife's wig and embarrassed her?

quote:

First of, I want to start by mentioning that my wife is a cancer patient, She unfortunately started losing her hair due to chemo therapy and she's been incredibly insecure about it, her lack of hair in particular. She got a wig and started wearing it, I don't mind it, I 100% support her since she only wears it around family and friends.

My sister lost her apartment after a messy divorce and moved in with her twin daughters (16) almost a month ago. Things been going well except my nieces constant remarks about my wife's wig. They got so hung up on it and kept asking lots of questions about it. They asked to take turns to try it on, suggested they "strighten" it with the strightner and so on which was exhausting. They even pressured to see her without it but my wife was uncomfortable and refused.

Yesterday I got home and found that my wife was locking herself in the bedroom and crying. I asked what happened, She told me she woke up and didn't find her wig, then discovered my nieces took it and hid then urged her to come out so they could see her without it. My wife repeatedly asked them to give it back but they started laughing and recording , my wife got had to lock the door to keep a distance cause they didn't stop. I was fuming I went into the kitchen and confronted them, they acted confused but I was able to get the wig back. I lashed out telling them they humiliated my wife and barrassed her by taking away her wig. They said it was just lighthearted prank which made me go off on them. My sister got involved and said my wife was just being too sensitive and the girls were just curios to see her without a wig but she overreacted. I told her her daughters were recording her! She saw nothing wrong in it and said I overreacted as well. I lost it on her too and told her she and my nieces are no longer welcome to stay at my home and they needed to leave. I later let them know about the eviction since they thought I wasn't serious and they started crying begging that I let it go. But my wife is no longer comfortable around them after what they did. My sister called our eldery dad and he begged that I let them stay and insisted my nieces were just acting like typical teenagers. He offered to speak to my wife but I declined.

They've been begging that I chang my mind but I ket refusing. aita?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mx. posted:

AITA for evicting my sister and her daughters after the hid my wife's wig and embarrassed her?

:murder: sister and nieces.

Comedy answer: say they can stay if they shave their heads. Then kick them out anyway and change the locks.

If OP's shitbag dad loves these monsters so much, he can house them.

Consummate Professional posted:

Don't worry, he doesn't do any awesome poo poo like that in the new spiderman movie op's son saw.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mx. posted:

"Making fun of a cancer patient until she cries" does not equal "just acting like teenagers"

gently caress those girls, and gently caress their mum for defending them. Find somewhere else to live, and leave the poor woman alone. She's going through enough already, she doesn't need the stress of insensitive family laughing at her for having the audacity to be sick.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Dr. Stab posted:

It's okay, Mom decided that the kid was too poorly behaved to receive medical care.

Sometimes kids will get embarrassed in these situations, or feel like there's some kind of negative consequence waiting if they fail the test. I don't remember it, but my parents tell me when I got my sight tested at age 6 (at the suggestion of my teacher!), I told the optometrist that I definitely could read the chart perfectly and that I just wasn't going to tell him what it said. My incredible deception failed, probably because I was of course squinting like I was staring at the sun the whole time.

OP on the other hand would have been like "Well he said he could read it, what do you want from me"

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 17, 2022

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Sometimes kids will get embarrassed in these situations, or feel like there's some kind of negative consequence waiting if they fail the test. I don't remember it, but my parents tell me when I got my sight tested at age 6 (at the suggestion of my teacher!), I told the optometrist that I definitely could read the chart perfectly and that I just wasn't going to tell him what it said. My incredible deception failed, probably because I was of course squinting like I was staring at the sun the whole time.

OP's mom on the other hand would have been like "Well he said he could read it, what do you want from me"

I managed to successfully cheat my way through the yearly eye exam up until third grade, because nobody bothered to tell me that failing the exam would not get me in trouble. Unlike every other school exam where failing was not acceptable. When my 3rd-grade teacher realized that I wasn't ignoring her, I just literally couldn't see the task instructions written on the chalkboard, she called my mom who immediately got me to an eye doctor. Because my mom was not a selfish rear end like OP.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Consummate Professional posted:

That freaked me out as a kid, too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Grammarchist posted:

I used to be scared of the air conditioner dying of a violent, fiery seizure in Brave Little Toaster. I found Mars Attacks hilarious at about the same age though.

For me it was the yipyip aliens and Disco Frog in Sesame Street. They didn't move right.

Kermit dancing other times looked fine, but that ghost effect broke the outline just enough I freaked out. Still gives me mild heebie jeebies.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 17, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mama Pete!

AITA for dropping him and his daughter off at a rental car place states away from home?

quote:

Long story short: I (27f) started seeing 44yo "Dave" 3 years ago. I have 2 sons, 9 and 6. He has 1 daughter "Ann", 17. I booked a road trip for me and my sons roughly 3 months ago. A road trip consisting of roughly 26 hours worth of driving with stops in between. This is the first time I've ever been financially able to do much of anything with my children so I went all out. Planned to stop at every place they had ever asked me to go, basically. I was beyond excited to surprise them with this trip. We got home 4 nights ago.

A week before leaving my Dave decides he wants to go with me and bring Ann as a "bonding" experience. We do not live together and Ann has never liked me because I'm "boring". She has said this to my face. So Dave thinks it will be good. I didnt really want either of them to go but thought what the hell, why not. This could be good for us. Boy was I loving wrong. From the moment Ann got in to my vehicle she started complaining about absolutely everything. It was too crowded, too loud, we were taking too many stops, the boys were "too annoying" and "need to quiet the gently caress down and chill out".

We get a hotel 9 hours in (PA). Its around 3pm at this point. Dave asks if he can take a drive with Ann because she was getting irritated with the kids. I told him he could if he makes it quick because I needed to go get dinner supplies. 3 hours later he shows back up. Him and Ann went out to eat. So I make a comment saying "you didnt think we wanted to eat too?" And Ann snaps back with "I dont think we asked."

After comments like this for days I finally snapped. My body are now saying they just want to go home because several times Dave told my kids to be quiet because of his kids comfortability. At this point I havent done anything with my kids because the queen would have a fit if we pulled off anywhere AND Dave at this point basically refused to let me drive despite me arguing. IN MY CAR. So I snapped, told him to pull the gently caress over. When he finally does, I drive to the nearest car rental and tell them to get the gently caress out of my car. Dave and Ann both start flipping out. Ann saying she isnt going to get in a car that has "bed bugs". Dave saying he didnt want to take separate vehicles and didnt have enough money for a rental because the queen spent over $1500 in 4 days. So I say "I dont believe I loving asked." And take off. They were close to 800 miles from home. It took them 4 days to get home due to lack of money and needing to borrow. I'm being told I'm a selfish oval office. AITA?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hughlander posted:

Mama Pete!

AITA for dropping him and his daughter off at a rental car place states away from home?

My only question is why you'd put up with that poo poo for even a day?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

wheatpuppy posted:

I managed to successfully cheat my way through the yearly eye exam up until third grade, because nobody bothered to tell me that failing the exam would not get me in trouble. Unlike every other school exam where failing was not acceptable. When my 3rd-grade teacher realized that I wasn't ignoring her, I just literally couldn't see the task instructions written on the chalkboard, she called my mom who immediately got me to an eye doctor. Because my mom was not a selfish rear end like OP.

Was there no eye exam with your regular medical checkups? I don’t think they do it with my kids every time but they do it periodically, and I remember getting it done at the doctor’s office when I was a kid. They still get the yearly one at school through early grade school too though, as well as hearing.

My wife had a learning disability that caused her to be tested for dyslexia as a pre-teen. They identified that her trouble reading, writing, and spelling was due to her not being able to visualize letters in her head the way most people do. She can spell a word 3 different ways in the same paragraph and not notice it.

After this was diagnosed the school said she needed more testing and some kind of tutoring to teach her skills to work around her learning disability to the tune of $2500 in early 1990s money. Her profoundly deaf father who does not sign but does read lips said that was too much money, and anyway she was fine and there was nothing wrong with his kid. Latter that year he bought a $35000 boat and a big truck to pull it with and she will never forgive him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

therobit posted:

Was there no eye exam with your regular medical checkups? I don’t think they do it with my kids every time but they do it periodically, and I remember getting it done at the doctor’s office when I was a kid. They still get the yearly one at school through early grade school too though, as well as hearing.

My wife had a learning disability that caused her to be tested for dyslexia as a pre-teen. They identified that her trouble reading, writing, and spelling was due to her not being able to visualize letters in her head the way most people do. She can spell a word 3 different ways in the same paragraph and not notice it.

After this was diagnosed the school said she needed more testing and some kind of tutoring to teach her skills to work around her learning disability to the tune of $2500 in early 1990s money. Her profoundly deaf father who does not sign but does read lips said that was too much money, and anyway she was fine and there was nothing wrong with his kid. Latter that year he bought a $35000 boat and a big truck to pull it with and she will never forgive him.

Americans don't have regular medical checkups. That's why we have an eye doctor come for an hour once a year to our schools and see each kid for 30 seconds, same for hearing and scoliosis.