Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't think Smart Home devices are 'innovative, new technology' so much as it is a solution looking for a problem... at the cost of privacy and every 'service' attached to them that wants a monthly fee. I have a bunch of cool tech poo poo but it needs to solve a problem, or the novelty needs to be pointed in an interesting direction. There is literally nothing a 'Smart Home' device does that I wouldn't want to do on a computer, phone, or some other physical interface.

I worked at a company that was doing smart home automation stuff before the iPhone was even a thing. It was all wired ethernet, USB and serial ports back then. Probably a lot more secure that way, but an even bigger pain to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Physical switches have a tendency to actually work 100% of the time, which is a pretty desirable feature.

Even just considering the environmental cost of it all, a light switch will work fine for what, 40-50 years? Buying whatever smart switch Amazon deem to be the hotness right now will get you at most a decade before support is dropped or a component burns out, and then you have to dispose of electronics instead of a couple of strips of copper and a spring.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm an outlier as far as being an IT person who buys into the smart home stuff, my reasoning being its not like they are forwarding our conversations complaining about the neighbors directly to them, the advertising poo poo is annoying but whatever. Its not a hill I'm ready to die on.

What I want are smart blinds/curtains. Automatically open with sunrise and close at night. Having oil heat, its great being able to monitor the temperature while we're away and turn on the heat a while before we get home so its warm when we get there. And telling google to turn off the lamp at night instead of reaching for it sounds like a small thing but its so convenient.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
IOT implementation is fucky, spotty and error prone. I bought two color led bulbs to see how consistent these things are. Random unpairing when the router is restarted. Random timeouts when opening the app. The google assistant integration just stopped working with a google update.

Maybe once they introduce some standards and libraries but even then it's a fix to a nonexisting problem if I ever saw one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
IoT gear is also responsible for powering a ton of botnets because security and updates are non existent and your loving lightbulbs have entire entry level Android SoCs in them because those are cheaper to produce in volume than coming up with new chip designs just for lightbulbs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

codo27 posted:

I'm an outlier as far as being an IT person who buys into the smart home stuff, my reasoning being its not like they are forwarding our conversations complaining about the neighbors directly to them, the advertising poo poo is annoying but whatever. Its not a hill I'm ready to die on.

What I want are smart blinds/curtains. Automatically open with sunrise and close at night. Having oil heat, its great being able to monitor the temperature while we're away and turn on the heat a while before we get home so its warm when we get there. And telling google to turn off the lamp at night instead of reaching for it sounds like a small thing but its so convenient.

"Hey Google, turn off the lights in the basement" as I walk upstairs is honestly convenient as gently caress compared to the 6 different light switches down there.

I reflexively thank my home mini when she says OK to turning on the lights and I'll probably run away and burn my house down when she starts responding to that with "no problem, happy to help" or some poo poo.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'll probably run away and burn my house down when she starts responding to that with "no problem, happy to help" or some poo poo.

I decommissioned my entire Echo network because it wouldn't stop saying "by the way, did you know that [some useless piece of poo poo i didn't ask my alarm clock i can yell at to do]"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vic posted:

IOT implementation is fucky, spotty and error prone. I bought two color led bulbs to see how consistent these things are. Random unpairing when the router is restarted. Random timeouts when opening the app. The google assistant integration just stopped working with a google update.

Maybe once they introduce some standards and libraries but even then it's a fix to a nonexisting problem if I ever saw one.

I think the ZigBee stuff is supposed to be better than WiFi stuff (more robust network and lower security risk) but I still can't imagine it being much more than a novelty in practice

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they never test all their vendors either, my mom bought a bunch of lightbulbs on their advertised alexa functionality. but she made the incredible consumer-sin of buying from multiple vendors we couldn't get more than 2 competing standards running at once. and she needed to make three accounts lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Amazon wanting to shovel as much crap as possible by letting anything work with Alexa, resulting in things talking between apps over web APIs rather than insisting that everything happens locally over Zigbee or the LAN is also not a great design decision.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm into Google Home/Nest, and it's 99% "Gee, I'm able to turn lights on and off by voice command, hey lookit me, I'm George Jetson" and 1% "Crap this light disconnected, now I have to use the physical switch like a caveman."

Anything Amazon-adjacent makes me nervous, so that's a big no to Alexa. (And yes I know Google isn't much better. But it's still better.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I avoid "Smart" IoT-type crap like the plague, and about the only thing I have are some smart lightbulbs that use GE Cync. They're setup using Bluetooth connectivity and aren't connected to the Internet, so they aren't the gaping privacy and security hole most of this poo poo represents.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I have some smart lights and would get more stuff, but I'd only go with stuff that has strong encryption and works without the internet so only apple homekit, open source or industrial.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I must say, now we only have a couple nests, a thermostat and smart switches, but we have pretty much no connectivity issues with them. Especially since I ditched my old Archer for a proper Edgerouter & Unifi APs

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Perplx posted:

I have some smart lights and would get more stuff, but I'd only go with stuff that has strong encryption and works without the internet so only apple homekit, open source or industrial.

I found that TPlink Kasa stuff works fine without internet.

Actually, it works better without internet. I got a couple devices and for a year or so it was fine. Then there were updates to the phone app and it got really crappy -- poking the on/off button would take 10 seconds to respond, or even not go through at all. Then one day the internet was out and I discovered that the light responded instantly. :c2b:

So now I have the devices firewalled so they can't see the internet, and also the tplink cloud service domain blocked. I can't turn the light on & off from Djibouti, but I didn't go to Djibouti in the first place. Only trouble is that if the power goes out I have to manually drop the firewall for a minute so they can reset clocks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Insiders have spotted a new feature in a preview build: advertising in explorer windows

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/microsoft-accidentally-reveals-that-it-is-testing-ads-in-windows-explorer/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, that's new:

If you follow the stuff, you get to their site and this is quoted:

quote:

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.
Incidentally, it showed up after tonight's update. Those dipshits better not pull the rug from under my feet in that regard, because the fTPM is still causing issues and I won't reenable it. And I don't expect to get an update for this older X399 board anymore.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I use hue lights for syncing to games, it's pretty cool

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, that's new:

If you follow the stuff, you get to their site and this is quoted:

Incidentally, it showed up after tonight's update. Those dipshits better not pull the rug from under my feet in that regard, because the fTPM is still causing issues and I won't reenable it. And I don't expect to get an update for this older X399 board anymore.

I pointed this out on page 19 of thread and was told I was a loving moron. I may be a moron but I know how MS is playing this round of cards.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 17, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Lord Bude posted:

Insiders have spotted a new feature in a preview build: advertising in explorer windows

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/microsoft-accidentally-reveals-that-it-is-testing-ads-in-windows-explorer/

lmao

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, that's new:

It doesn't do anything, just an annoyance ad. You can remove it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I noticed recently that my USB 3.0 dock that I use to switch between my work laptop and my personal desktop is not recognized as being connected to a USB 3.0 port by Windows. It's a USB-C-type plug, and the only C-type port on my motherboard is USB 3.1 gen 2. I've tried updating the drivers from Targus, but the installer said everything's already up to date. The dock works fine for keyboard and mouse, but isn't passing Ethernet through at gigabit speeds; instead it's only getting 100 megabits/second. How can I go about troubleshooting this?

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 19, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Follow up to:

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there any reports of Edge hanging for 2-3 minutes while playing video on Windows 11? The audio continues to play but the browser becomes totally unresponsive before recovering by itself. There are no issues in Chrome.

I Googled but can only find a bunch of spam websites in the results or those generic driver cleanup sites, possible that I’m using the wrong search terms though.

I managed to stop Edge hanging all the time when displaying video by turning off the hardware acceleration, then went looking for a fix. Turns out the latest Intel Iris Xe drivers being served by Dell/Windows Update were 30.0.100.9955 which are from last year. Downloaded 30.0.101.1404 from the Intel website and removed the previous drivers (a couple cycles of removing the display adapter from Device Manager with the box ticked to delete the drivers, until it was a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter), installed the latest from the Intel support site and the problem looks to have gone away.

I assume eventually the drivers on the Dell site and Windows Update would have advanced to include a version with this problem fixed, but it was getting annoying.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

They "tested" advertising in the native mail application in Windows 10 in Canada (I know, I know...cursed app). Endless feedback and complaints in the feedback app.

Microsoft turns it on for the US by "mistake" for one day? The ads are gone for good. :tinfoil:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just in case anybody was tempted but turned off at the thought of buying a license for tiny software, StartAllBack's latest version has the trial timer disabled. if you're wondering why all of a sudden the developer has decided to do this - he is located in Russia and can no longer take international payments.

https://twitter.com/StartIsBack/status/1500507864560979975

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

barnold posted:

just in case anybody was tempted but turned off at the thought of buying a license for tiny software, StartAllBack's latest version has the trial timer disabled. if you're wondering why all of a sudden the developer has decided to do this - he is located in Russia and can no longer take international payments.

https://twitter.com/StartIsBack/status/1500507864560979975

That's such a bummer for the dev, SAB is a required install on my win11 PCs and I was super happy to pay for it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hopefully he'll be able to join the massive exodus of young IT people who are saying "gently caress this poo poo" to living in a repressive hellhole, and get paid again.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

I think the ZigBee stuff is supposed to be better than WiFi stuff (more robust network and lower security risk) but I still can't imagine it being much more than a novelty in practice

For sure, wifi bulbs or anything relying on a web service to work is landfill fodder in my eyes, zigbee bulbs work very reliably, I've had hue for years with no issues..

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so just a heads up i forgot to turn off windows insider and it auto upgraded me to a new version and startallback broke, so like, turn that off if you like your setup

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

site posted:

so just a heads up i forgot to turn off windows insider and it auto upgraded me to a new version and startallback broke, so like, turn that off if you like your setup

I just got the free version of startallback (thanks war in Ukraine)

So I'll have to reset to see how it goes.

e: before I do, SAB is awesome, I have start menu and taskbar centered, with invisible bg and it looks nice

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
also i dunno wtf they did but high dpi scaling override is totally broken in games now lol so that's nice

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
also they changed task manager and the sidebar isn't resizable lmao

e1: okay sorry nm the top left icon isn't a menu it's the collapse button i'm dumb

e2: as far as i can tell high dpi scaling really is completely broken though, I've tried several games

site fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 26, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay now that i have time and some coffee in me is there a way to roll back insider builds or is the only option to just reformat cuz i kinda need high dpi to work

e: sorry for multi posting but it turned out that it saved a windows.old folder and i was able to do a settings -> recovery -> go back, so that's good

site fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there some Windows Audio guide?

I don't understand why this is so freaking complicated but why can't I use my microphone at the same time while having sound? I'm even using the USB Dongle that came with my Plantronics headset - what gives?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They should not gently caress around with the task manager for the sake of making it look more in line. That piece of poo poo started becoming relatively crash happy since once of the latest regular updates (usually switching tabs, most often going to the process tab), so if anything, it needs more bug fixing and hardening, and less messing about for no goddamn reason.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dumb question, and broad too so I apologize, is windows 11 a good upgrade option now? I mostly use my PC for gaming, and I have all the latest stuff including alder lake, would it be a good idea to make the switch to 11 or is there still stability/performance concerns?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

Dumb question, and broad too so I apologize, is windows 11 a good upgrade option now? I mostly use my PC for gaming, and I have all the latest stuff including alder lake, would it be a good idea to make the switch to 11 or is there still stability/performance concerns?

I haven't seen much in the way of stability/performance concerns; mostly disagreements about whether or not the UX is terrible.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/graphics-performance-win10-vs-win11 indicates that performance is basically identical, or at least close to it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you have a 12th gen alder lake (that’s 12th gen iirc)with e cores you definitely want 11 because of the fancy scheduler that better allocates tasks.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
It is only avaible in Win11. As far as I know there are no plans to implement the e-core scheduler in Win10.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Did anyone ever find any real world cases where the win11 scheduler actually makes a difference on Alder Lake, the reviews I saw were all :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

Did anyone ever find any real world cases where the win11 scheduler actually makes a difference on Alder Lake, the reviews I saw were all :shrug:

at launch at least there was a fairly long list of games that broke when using an e core machine in 10 when it tried to share the load over uneven cores, iirc. no idea if it's still true