Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Shageletic posted:

Peacemaker is sort of sui generis in its combination of comedy, action, and superheroics. Can't really think of a show that pulls off obscene and hilarious two minute rants with jaw dropping stunts and disgusting splatter, plus comics.

Best I can think of and can recommend are shows that aren't about superheroes. Barry, Archer, Future Man (until the last season)....anyone see Macgruber the TV show?

One random out of the box suggestion: first season of One Punch Man.

Oooh, the Boys! Though because its a little more scattered towards its plotting, its a definite second to Peacemaker.

It flew under the radar massively but Hitmonkey is pretty good for a violence + comedy superhero show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hitmonkey is one of those shows which is just so much better than it has any right to be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

And absolutely nobody says it better than Brendan Frasier.

I'm very glad that Fraiser, who got a super raw deal, is having a late stage career comeback.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I put the first episode of Doom Patrol on the other day for a few minutes and I guess I have to be in the right frame of mind because the narration turned me off almost immediately. I will give it another shot.
If it were anyone but Alan Tudyk doing the obnoxious narration I would have rolled my eyes out of my head and quit Doom Patrol after the first episode, but he's just so good at being a smarmy jackass. :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm stunned people are suggesting wiki'ing any of Doom Patrol tbh. Even at it's worst it's more creative and entertaining than 90% of the worthless dreck on TV. I would liken it a bit with something like Star Trek TNG, where there are definitely some not great episodes, but even bad episodes have genuinely good character moments because the actors are doing their best and the characters are well-realized.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is an episode of Doom Patrol where a bunch of man eating butts get free and wreak havoc and its not even the 3rd weirdest thing in the episode. There is also an ton of ghost sex.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'll give it a couple more chances but oof that first episode of Doom Patrol was long as hell and did not make me want to watch more

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm stunned people are suggesting wiki'ing any of Doom Patrol tbh. Even at it's worst it's more creative and entertaining than 90% of the worthless dreck on TV. I would liken it a bit with something like Star Trek TNG, where there are definitely some not great episodes, but even bad episodes have genuinely good character moments because the actors are doing their best and the characters are well-realized.

I love Doom Patrol, but the second season was already gonna be a bit of a slump even before they were affected by COVID.

Also, to be fair, the whole show IS basically about trauma, so I imagine that a lot of people are tired of that (or tired of shows about that--man, there have been a lot recently).

Also, also, the producers recognized pretty quickly that Diane Guerrero is pretty much the best pure actress of the main cast (as Jane and as her alts), so a lot of the show is about her specific trauma, which I'm sure is a lot for people looking for more Peacemaker.

I think everyone should watch Doom Patrol, but if a friend actually wanted a "if you liked Peacemaker" recommendation, I'd point them to Harley Quinn first.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Modern Leper posted:

I love Doom Patrol, but the second season was already gonna be a bit of a slump even before they were affected by COVID.

Also, to be fair, the whole show IS basically about trauma, so I imagine that a lot of people are tired of that (or tired of shows about that--man, there have been a lot recently).

Also, also, the producers recognized pretty quickly that Diane Guerrero is pretty much the best pure actress of the main cast (as Jane and as her alts), so a lot of the show is about her specific trauma, which I'm sure is a lot for people looking for more Peacemaker.

I think everyone should watch Doom Patrol, but if a friend actually wanted a "if you liked Peacemaker" recommendation, I'd point them to Harley Quinn first.

Sure, and I hadn't really thought of the trauma stuff myself, so thanks for pointing that out. I still think the concept of wiki'ing stuff is kinda odd and if the show's not for you, it's not for you, it's okay not to watch it. I don't think the quality of the second season was so dire that it merits skipping in a show with three fairly short seasons. Wiki'ing stuff is actively detrimental to peoples' understanding of a show, given how often you can tell someone in TVIV is critiquing a show they haven't seen based on a wiki summary.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do they go hard on music at any point in the show like they did for the first episode of DP? I don’t recall any licensed stuff again through theorist season.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Warbird posted:

Do they go hard on music at any point in the show like they did for the first episode of DP? I don’t recall any licensed stuff again through theorist season.

There is an amazing sequence set to "perfect day" by lou reed

If youre wiki-ing doom patrol it's just because you don't want to watch it, and you're wrong, but ok. some of the Underground drama is annoying and drags on

S2 definitely suffers from not being finished though.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 8, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Quick trip report: I watched the pilot of Doom Patrol, and as a counter to what some people have been saying, I loving loved it. This show is EXTREMELY my jam. I'm not gonna make regular posts or anything, because this isn't the place for it. Just wanted to say thanks. gently caress, this is the kind of show I love.

At least from the pilot.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think it’s very charming and by season 3 they are all my friends and I want them to be happy. It’s also probably the best depiction of Cyborg outside the Teen Titans cartoon.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's a wacky show, but it has a lot of heart to it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Quick trip report: I watched the pilot of Doom Patrol, and as a counter to what some people have been saying, I loving loved it. This show is EXTREMELY my jam. I'm not gonna make regular posts or anything, because this isn't the place for it. Just wanted to say thanks. gently caress, this is the kind of show I love.

At least from the pilot.

There's a doom patrol thread if you do want to make regular posts

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also as others have said, season 2 got turbo hosed by COVID, to the point where it literally ends mid-battle, so don't let that discourage you as season 3 is the strongest.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Doom Patrol works best when I'm a little buzzed or stoned. That's not a knock on the show at all. I just think it benefits to be in a very receptive headspace for a show that weird.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

grittyreboot posted:

Doom Patrol works best when I'm a little buzzed or stoned. That's not a knock on the show at all. I just think it benefits to be in a very receptive headspace for a show that weird.

echoing this

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe that was my issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I agree with this. Gunns stuff is very much self aware and keeps winking at the audience. The characters feel more like joke machines than real characters BUT interspersed with this you sometimes also get legit emotional scenes and such, which makes it work, like with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Most of the big comic books have ridiculous premises but play them completely straight, with a couple of exceptions

i feel like Gunn knows when to transition from joke to "oh gently caress"/genuine emotional moments. peacemaker is full of them as is guardians(2 more then 1) i think he knows how to hit moments just right with this kinda stuff to make you feel poo poo. plus he is really really good with needle drops.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Watchman 3: Peacemaker kills Dr Manhattan

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

He reforms his body yet again but is still somehow bound to one of PM's helmets. It's power becomes giving the wearer the ability to hang blue dong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That sounds kind of amazing and I wonder if they can get Cena in there as Peacemaker at some point.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Interesting! I thought season 2 was a little uneven, like they wrote season 1 not expecting to get another and had to kind of scramble to extend things, but overall it's pretty good, any fan of PM should check it out.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Everyone posted:

That sounds kind of amazing and I wonder if they can get Cena in there as Peacemaker at some point.

They should totally try and merge the two universes somehow. Just have Harley casually mention that time she went to prison and ended up defeating a starfish in Corto Malteze, I don't care.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Takes No Damage posted:

Interesting! I thought season 2 was a little uneven, like they wrote season 1 not expecting to get another and had to kind of scramble to extend things, but overall it's pretty good, any fan of PM should check it out.

From memory both seasons were written at the same time, probably so they'd be good to go if they got picked up... but also I'd like to think it was done that way to keep studio executives deciding to "help" with ideas once they realized the first season was a success, and to make sure nobody in charge got cold feet about the same sex relationship (or even worse, force them to keep it a "will they or won't they?" situation).

Show was absolutely fantastic though and I'm stoked for season 3, and I hope we haven't seen the last of Kite Man (hell yeah).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jabby posted:

They should totally try and merge the two universes somehow. Just have Harley casually mention that time she went to prison and ended up defeating a starfish in Corto Malteze, I don't care.

I think it'd be cool if Margot Robbie showed up as Harley Quinn in Peacemaker but the real prize for me would be Lake Bell showing up on the show as live-action Poison Ivy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

From memory both seasons were written at the same time, probably so they'd be good to go if they got picked up... but also I'd like to think it was done that way to keep studio executives deciding to "help" with ideas once they realized the first season was a success, and to make sure nobody in charge got cold feet about the same sex relationship (or even worse, force them to keep it a "will they or won't they?" situation).

This is pretty standard for animation though; I wouldn't necessarily read it as someone manipulating the system.

Warner Media's always been more comfortable with queer characters and themes than the other big companies too -- Legends Of Tomorrow, most notably, but there are a lot more examples out there.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Show was absolutely fantastic though and I'm stoked for season 3, and I hope we haven't seen the last of Kite Man (hell yeah).

They are making a Kite Man spin off show about him running a villain hangout bar.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I forget, did PM nail Kiteman in the capture sense of the term or the cardinal one? Could make for some fun love quadrangle nonsense if they decide to merge the shows’ universes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

I forget, did PM nail Kiteman in the capture sense of the term or the cardinal one? Could make for some fun love quadrangle nonsense if they decide to merge the shows’ universes.

Nah, he captured him. There's even a newspaper clipping PM had

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Takes No Damage posted:

He reforms his body yet again but is still somehow bound to one of PM's helmets. It's power becomes giving the wearer the ability to hang blue dong.
PM gets the OG Dr Manhattan helmet:

Also I can totally see Dr Manhattan doing the dance number.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, he captured him. There's even a newspaper clipping PM had

In season 2 Peacemaker should have a flashback to when he captured Kiteman, and it's the animated version. Just an entirely animated flashback, then he snaps out of it with a comment about how many drugs he was on at the time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

but the real prize for me would be Lake Bell showing up on the show as live-action Poison Ivy.

Don't give me hope for something like that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

Don't give me hope for something like that.

Hope isn't bad. Consider your avatar and the fact that there's a better-than-decent chance that we're going to get live-action Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Ahsoka show.

Also I just Tweeted the suggestion of Lake Bell as live-action Poison Ivy to James Gunn just now.

And tweeted the same suggestion to Lake Bell.

Yes, I am trying to get poo poo started.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 17, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Everyone posted:

Hope isn't bad. Consider your avatar and the fact that there's a better-than-decent chance that we're going to get live-action Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Ahsoka show.

Also I just Tweeted the suggestion of Lake Bell as live-action Poison Ivy to James Gunn just now.

And tweeted the same suggestion to Lake Bell.

Yes, I am trying to get poo poo started.

Isn't there an issue where fan campaigns to get actors involved in projects tended to backfire, because of legal nonsense?

I remember reading about a recent instance involving Lucy Lawless and Star Wars, which resulted in her losing out on a role she'd been in talks for.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It might be a copyright issue. Like, the same way that studios won't open unsolicited pitches. I don't know if anyone would win in that suit, but it would probably end up in a settlement. Better to avoid the risk at all.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Modern Leper posted:

It might be a copyright issue. Like, the same way that studios won't open unsolicited pitches. I don't know if anyone would win in that suit, but it would probably end up in a settlement. Better to avoid the risk at all.

I don't really see how copyright would apply in this instance. Harley Quinn and Peacemaker are both DC/Warner Brothers properties. And it's not like I sent either of them story ideas, just "wouldn't it be cool if Lake Bell appeared as live-action Poison Ivy in Peacemaker?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, is that why media companies in general are always disappointing us to some extent with some franchises? We ask for cool things by name so they have to do something not as good on purpose?

That really sucks, if so, and also wouldn't surprise me.