Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

since they all think "fygm" is that an aligned interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

nftbooks. don't sleep on the whitepaper, it has some real gems too

time works the same way

Naturally the investor gets half the pie for some reason

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
another day, another dead brand jumping on the bandwagon

https://twitter.com/winamp/status/1504083229254602752

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Main Paineframe posted:

This most certainly does not whip the llama's rear end.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
winamp has a twitter??!!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Zamujasa posted:

nftbooks. don't sleep on the whitepaper, it has some real gems too

time works the same way

That's just how a remington rolling block works

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

blugu64 posted:

winamp??!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/status/1503775787253645320?s=20&t=0h2V2ciXaCmpjLZaYveoeQ

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the system works!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

This is dumb but pie charts are dumb to being with so at least they ended up with some flashy graphics.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
obviously fake since the state is powerless against the brilliant decentralization of satoshi's gift

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
i mean the canbutt news not the pie thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Main Paineframe posted:

winamp skins were basically nfts without the scam anyway, it makes sense that in the world of spotify and itunes now there's a winamp nft

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im latin words

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

distortion park posted:

Naturally the investor gets half the pie for some reason

If they're smart they have a different chart for label owners that shows them getting half, and another one for artists, etc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

im latin words

text me if you want some ipsum, it's available :wink:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

people still use winamp, specifically old versions of winamp before they started loving everything up since it's still a decent lightweight media player

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LanceHunter posted:

This most certainly does not whip the llama's rear end.

They can lick a black rhino's hairy rear end in a top hat.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Antlerhill posted:

obviously fake since the state is powerless against the brilliant decentralization of satoshi's grift

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Main Paineframe posted:

I deny this :[

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

im not going to use winamp now

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
been using winamp since 1999

can't believe i have to switch to vlc now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Antlerhill posted:

been using winamp since 1999

can't believe i have to switch to vlc now

no self harm please, just reach out if you need help

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

vlc shoves the music in to my sound holes ancd only crashes like once a month, needs suited

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/mikeinspace/status/1503754795848450061

:eyepop:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

loving what? lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
thats not the explanation I’ve seen elsewhere (something about passing their own function pointer for the auth module) so I think it’s incorrect

edit: full description in a reply

https://twitter.com/aglasgow12/status/1503795820310761472?s=21

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 17, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Main Paineframe posted:

fubar 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ymgve posted:

thats not the explanation I’ve seen elsewhere (something about passing their own function pointer for the auth module) so I think it’s incorrect

tl;dr code is bugs are law

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

loving what? lol

Are you loving kidding me

Edit: I guess this one was too stupid even for crypto. Not sure if comforted or not

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NLJP posted:

Are you loving kidding me

Edit: I guess this one was too stupid even for crypto. Not sure if comforted or not

yeah we went over this previously a few weeks ago, and don't worry its still stupid it's just the stupid is "function pointers that handle money" and "they knew it was a problem and didn't bother to do anything about it"

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
yeah i just don't read or open twitter so all i saw was the first post. i was so willing to believe

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

What if you gave a poor town in South America Bitcoin?
https://restofworld.org/2022/el-salvador-bitcoin/

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Escape From Noise posted:

What if you gave a poor town in South America Bitcoin?
https://restofworld.org/2022/el-salvador-bitcoin/

I thought brazil.txt answered this already

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

I thought brazil.txt answered this already

If we keep trying it it's going to work eventually!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol this ft article about the fate of Facebook's Diem project is brutal

quote:

What emerges is a picture of Silicon Valley executives who thought they could charge into finance and make billions, if only they could surmount technical and regulatory barriers. What they failed to realise was that the very fact Facebook had conceived the idea, doomed it. As one government official involved in the process puts it: “Diem spent years trying to reverse engineer their project to fix all of its faults. But they could never fix being linked to Facebook. It was their original sin.”

[...]

Throwing the launch at the Mint made for ­terrible politics. American politicians were already worried about a Facebook cryptocurrency encroaching on the power of the US dollar. Seeing it launched in a building that used to make those ­dollars only exacerbated their concerns. One person who spoke to Zuckerberg about the plans in its earliest days says, “It comes back to Zuckerberg’s inability to understand how the world sees Facebook: ‘From the people who ripped your data off, they can now get into your wallet.’”

During a bruising week in July 2019, the extent of the political backlash became clear. First, came the dreaded Potus tweet. “I am not a fan of Bitcoin and other Cryptocurrencies, which are not money, and whose value is highly volatile and based on thin air,” president Donald Trump wrote on July 11. Four days later, Treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin repeated that message at a press conference, warning: “[Libra] and others have a lot of work to do before they get us comfortable.”

[...]

By the late summer of 2019, sentiment among Libra’s backers was that something needed to change. When the Wall Street Journal reported that Visa, Mastercard and others were getting cold feet, Marcus felt compelled to rebut the notion of disharmony between members. “I have no knowledge of specific organizations plans to not step up,” he tweeted on October 2, “commitment to the ­mission is more important than anything else”.

The next day, executives from the consortium’s member companies met in the National Union Building in Washington DC’s Penn ­Quarter. ­According to multiple sources involved, some members had begun to feel spooked by the political backlash. Facebook had, they believed, underestimated the scrutiny Libra would draw and had overpromoted members’ involvement. Facebook, meanwhile, wanted members to be more vocal in their support.

The gathering was particularly pressing because Libra backers were due to signal their continued ­support by signing a so-called declaration of membership. Amid the tensions, some Libra staffers failed to notice that representatives from one member — PayPal, where Marcus had been president — weren’t there. The next day, PayPal announced it was pulling out, arguing Facebook had not done enough to address regulators’ concerns. The news blindsided Libra’s top management.

Things were going to get worse. Days later, Brown and his Democratic Senate colleague Brian Schatz wrote to Libra’s remaining payments members — Visa, Mastercard and online payments processor Stripe — warning them that if they remained part of the scheme, they could expect increased Congressional scrutiny. “It’s as close to a Sopranos threat as you’ll ever read,” one Libra insider says.

[...]

Facebook is now busy with a new grand project: its plan to build a metaverse where billions of people could one day gather as avatars. Novi staffers have been instructed to focus on what digital currency might look like in this virtual world. “What are we supposed to do?” says one former Facebook employee, who laments Diem’s demise. “Sit back and just do ‘likes’? Companies are supposed to grow, we have shareholders to deliver to. That’s the ethos of Silicon Valley.”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love that crypto and nfts are too stupid for Donald Trump

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I love that crypto and nfts are too stupid for Donald Trump
If the sons told him about it, I’m sure he got the picture immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Juul-Whip posted:

lol this ft article about the fate of Facebook's Diem project is brutal

hubris so thick you could spread it with a knife.

that last paragraph is pure gold too