Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

commando in tophat posted:

How can somebody be wrong about everything?

I give you Chris Roberts, auteur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Titanic posted:

I guess my question is would be how awesome can an on rails space shooter be necessarily.
no point in trying to top star fox 64 tbqh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
lmao at the proprietary graphics API part. Yeah, I'm sure they'd be able to do that, just convince all major GPU vendors to implement another API for just one game.

It's such transparent bullshit.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

lmao at the proprietary graphics API part. Yeah, I'm sure they'd be able to do that, just convince all major GPU vendors to implement another API for just one game.

It's such transparent bullshit.

*transparency not implemented yet

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Speaking authoritatively on a subject you know nothing about, this is peak star citizen.

Like, you can't just MAKE a new graphics API. DirectX/3D exist because Microsoft, and Vulkan support exists because hundreds of companies got together and settled on a spiritual successor to OpenGL to provide a cross-platform close to the metal experience. Every manufacturer of the relevant components has to be on board to support such a thing.

At best you could make some sort of wrapper like MoltenVK which would be a bit pointless.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Bofast posted:

Can someone remind me what this moons thing was about again? It's been too long to remember all the SC nonsense.

I think it was around the time they let slip the scale change, so we found out the largest planet then in the system was (in game size terms) smaller than our moon, and their "moons" were glorified asteroids? Dunno it's been a while and there is a lot of crazy to process in SC :thunk:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

smellmycheese posted:

Quiz Time everyone…

No, I can't. In the ten years or so of history of the Star Citizen galaxy, none have contacted me. I wonder if they looked at robertsspaceindustries.com to make their decision.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Mirificus posted:

quote:

They answered this too, DLSS and FSR yes, Vulkan is about 70% done, Gen12 is what they call their own propitiatory API, its not DX12, They started working on this in 2014 before DX12 and Vulkan existed, they felt they needed their own propitiatory API because DX11 was far too limited for what they wanted to do, parts Gen12 are actually already running in the game, they continue to develop it but the focus has switched to Vulkan.

Ray Tracing, unlikely, they are not ruling it out but the game is far too big for Ray Tracing to be viable, the hardware capabilities need to improve massively for it to be viable for Star Citizen, IE by many multiple factors.

They are instead working on their own propitiatory lighting and shading system, including a much better screen space reflections system.
I am not a native speaker, so I had to get some on-line help.

Hmm, need to click further.

CIG making an API to appease or gain favor, that sounds about right.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

The Titanic posted:

I look forward to all the screenshots and gameplay dreams of what they will do to the river.

Heart of Lustness.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Captain Roberts and his crew prepare to capture a space whale; note the special bait on the harpoon tip.

stolen from refunds sub

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/hrklfqI.mp4

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I forget where I heard it first, but whoever said that they should just fully lean into making Space Body Horror Simulator was right. They wouldn't even have to do anything different! :v:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Zero_Grade posted:

I forget where I heard it first, but whoever said that they should just fully lean into making Space Body Horror Simulator was right. They wouldn't even have to do anything different! :v:

They accidentally made Dead Space 4

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oooh, I "know" this one (inasmuch as it is in my memory somewhere, albeit hazy), but the "Moons" thing is from when it showed up in the midst of an uninspiring list of trivial low-effort stuff in a huge patch notes list somewhere...

- moved coffee stand 3 inches to the left

- changed pixel from green to blue

- Moons

- thought about rivers for a bit

Literally something like that. Caused endless hilarity in the thread about 5 years ago.

CIG:
Posts patch notes
Includes "Moons"
Refuses to elaborate
Leaves

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

.random posted:

One word for you, boat: microservices :smuggo:

I’ll take my fat senior architect paycheck now, thank you.

Microservices are great and have their use cases.

If you want the big bucks be sure to push redundant queue services and dead drop solutions and lambda functionality and thrown around serverless a whole bunch too. :)

Maybe it is me who is out of touch and people are now sitting on board rooms talking about how their internet solutions need to be like the matrix or something. :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

smellmycheese posted:

Quiz Time everyone…

Here's a better quiz:

How many posts has the official Twitter account made to imply the game is in a state that it is not currently in?

So far this post brings you to at least 1. Be sure to find them all!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

IronicDongz posted:

no point in trying to top star fox 64 tbqh

Star fox was super fun.

Battlestations: Midway was significantly less fun for example though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

Speaking authoritatively on a subject you know nothing about, this is peak star citizen.

Like, you can't just MAKE a new graphics API. DirectX/3D exist because Microsoft, and Vulkan support exists because hundreds of companies got together and settled on a spiritual successor to OpenGL to provide a cross-platform close to the metal experience. Every manufacturer of the relevant components has to be on board to support such a thing.

At best you could make some sort of wrapper like MoltenVK which would be a bit pointless.

Visit the steam deck thread and check out some stuff about that device to see how a company is working with getting a variety of games working in its special environment.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Titanic posted:

Here's a better quiz:

How many posts has the official Twitter account made to imply the game is in a state that it is not currently in?

So far this post brings you to at least 1. Be sure to find them all!

I'm not certain humanity has made contact with any intelligent life, including ourselves.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Captain Roberts and his crew prepare to capture a space whale; note the special bait on the harpoon tip.

stolen from refunds sub

Glad there is still people out there who put in effort to make art still. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mozi posted:

I'm not certain humanity has made contact with any intelligent life, including ourselves.

Deep. :aaaaa:

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Kind of related space game talk but I thought the space ship missions in COD Infinity War were the worst bit (not terrible, it's a good game, these were just the bits that were a bit of a pain). I'm playing through The Guardians of the Galaxy game at the mo, and I just did a mission where I had to destroy twenty or so space ships while flying around a cloud of debris and I've not been as wound up by a video game since I was a kid getting stroppy with some platformer on a Sega Master system.

I don't think these 6d space games are for me.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Gort posted:

I've never seen such a human "oh poo poo" face on an animal before

I thought the exact same thing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skyelevator posted:

Kind of related space game talk but I thought the space ship missions in COD Infinity War were the worst bit (not terrible, it's a good game, these were just the bits that were a bit of a pain). I'm playing through The Guardians of the Galaxy game at the mo, and I just did a mission where I had to destroy twenty or so space ships while flying around a cloud of debris and I've not been as wound up by a video game since I was a kid getting stroppy with some platformer on a Sega Master system.

I don't think these 6d space games are for me.

The issue with space is that it's empty. Feeling like you're moving is difficult to do. Feeling the thrill of action is more tough.

There's that sweet spot though where you have to throw space away and make it a super close dog fighter game which can sometimes be more fun, but when you have infinite freedom it just becomes two ships circling around each other with the one that can turn faster winning, or other super basic stuff. Ultimately it becomes turrets in space and such.

The fun of the Star fox type stuff is it's "space" but it's really more like the trench run in Star Wars where there's stuff coming at you and you can't just pull away from it all and go fly in empty space.

Back in the day I really enjoyed these kinds of games because there was nothing else like them and gaming was pretty empty. You didn't have a billion games to play, so you basically had to play stuff like X wing and wing commander just because there wasn't much out there.

But by the time Freespace turned it into an art, the franchise was all but killed off by more engaging fps type games, where you had a fun level and other things to do besides "turn warfare" in a black screen. You could enjoy the art and the world instead of spend your time looking at an arrow on the edge of the screen and a flash of some tiny ship for a second before it was off the screen again.

SC is definitely smart by focusing on the non-space parts of the game most, since space is boring. It's just also not fun in how they do it though, and today people expect near-photorealistic graphics from big name games. It's tough to keep up with.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Guardians of the Galaxy has a space llama

Star Citizen does not have a space llama

Guardians of the Galaxy is mathematically the better game

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just learned a coworker bought the game.

Told him I'm looking forward to hear his experience.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

smellmycheese posted:

Quiz Time everyone…

Too easy... Chinese stereotype aliens, Japanese stereotype aliens and Arab stereotype aliens. Hope the prize is a new Idris.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
*Deep in the secret CIG empire a meeting of great consequence is held*

Roberts: Gentlemen we are 10 years in and need something BIG to impress our faithful!

Sycophant1: How about releasing our first alien race?

Roberts: BORING!

Sycophant2: Maybe increase player count to 250 per server?

Roberts: Why?

Sycophant3: More ships?

Roberts: Duh! But no, we need something else!

TEAM: *startled gasps*

Lowly Intern: *whispers* Sir maybe we add a river?

Roberts: Who the gently caress are you? I'll tell you who you are. THE NEW loving HEAD OF ENVIRONMENT DEVELOPMENT IS WHO YOU ARE!

TEAM: Hussah!

.random
May 7, 2007

monkeytek posted:

*Deep in the secret CIG empire a meeting of great consequence is held*

Roberts: Gentlemen we are 10 years in and need something BIG to impress our faithful!

Sycophant1: How about releasing our first alien race?

Roberts: BORING!

Sycophant2: Maybe increase player count to 250 per server?

Roberts: Why?

Sycophant3: More ships?

Roberts: Duh! But no, we need something else!

TEAM: *startled gasps*

Lowly Intern: *whispers* Sir maybe we add a river?

Roberts: Who the gently caress are you? I'll tell you who you are. THE NEW loving HEAD OF ENVIRONMENT DEVELOPMENT IS WHO YOU ARE!

TEAM: Hussah!

This but

Lowly Intern: *whispers* I guess we’re really up the river without a paddle…

Roberts: What was that?

Lowly Intern: What? Uh.. nothing. I said maybe add a river or something.

Roberts: CLEAN OUT YOUR DESK! And move to your new office, Mr. Senior Architect

Lowly Intern: oh. But I was already the Senior Architect

And scene.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Gnome de plume posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy has a space llama

Star Citizen does not have a space llama

Guardians of the Galaxy is mathematically the better game

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
That llama added years of gameplay to GotG.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

I've said it, I'm sure I'm not the only one. It works perfectly because you can say it's caused by Lovecraftian monsters beyond human comprehension and then you don't even need to make in-game assets for them. Have one of the interns knock out a couple short stories about them having been part of the project all along and a couple shills claim to have discovered this as part of an ARG or something and all the citizens will defend it to the death.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dwesa posted:

stolen from refunds sub

Refund of the Obra Dinn looking good.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
You all laugh but one day they will leverage the river pipeline they've developed and make a single road. It will literally be a river reskinned black but it will have hundreds of hours of gameplay, like driving on the road, crossing the street, procedural potholes, and hitch hiking and its inevitable consequences.

But seriously they're talking about adding roads like it's an achievement. I really hope they make just one again, maybe even put it next to the river! Pretty sure that would multiply the hours of gameplay for both.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Issue council #4376920 : since alpha 3.23, with the introduction of roads, rivers have potholes.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_JG48it7s

Todd and the boys coming up on the rails - better get Squadron 54 out sharpish Chris.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
So does anyone here have the game installed on their pc?

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Charles 1998 posted:

So does anyone here have the game installed on their pc?

Excuse me, this IS the game.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

L. Ron Hoover posted:

You all laugh but one day they will leverage the river pipeline they've developed and make a single road. It will literally be a river reskinned black but it will have hundreds of hours of gameplay, like driving on the road, crossing the street, procedural potholes, and hitch hiking and its inevitable consequences.

But seriously they're talking about adding roads like it's an achievement. I really hope they make just one again, maybe even put it next to the river! Pretty sure that would multiply the hours of gameplay for both.

Wait, they're talking about adding roads?? Woah, I'm looking forward to it next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NumptyScrub posted:

I think it was around the time they let slip the scale change, so we found out the largest planet then in the system was (in game size terms) smaller than our moon, and their "moons" were glorified asteroids? Dunno it's been a while and there is a lot of crazy to process in SC :thunk:

Only Kindness posted:

Oooh, I "know" this one (inasmuch as it is in my memory somewhere, albeit hazy), but the "Moons" thing is from when it showed up in the midst of an uninspiring list of trivial low-effort stuff in a huge patch notes list somewhere...

- moved coffee stand 3 inches to the left

- changed pixel from green to blue

- Moons

- thought about rivers for a bit

Literally something like that. Caused endless hilarity in the thread about 5 years ago.

CIG:
Posts patch notes
Includes "Moons"
Refuses to elaborate
Leaves

Thanks, commandos o9