Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

After Yang was really good. its tone and mood throughout were just right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
whatever happened to the show with the lady wrestlers? did they keep making those?

vv oh nooooo :( vv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

whatever happened to the show with the lady wrestlers? did they keep making those?

Glow? It was canceled

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Don't worry it got bad before it got cancelled

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, Glow morphed from a comedy to a sappy drama. I’m not sure they were even trying to be funny by the end.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I actually enjoyed Season 3 of "Glow", but I do agree it was the worst of the three seasons.

I'm sad there will be no final season, especially with the sort of cliffhanger.

Also, "The Adam Project" was okay. I haven't watched Ryan Reynolds in anything but Deadpool, but people keep saying he plays the same character in everything, and...yeah I see their point.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, GLOW was renewed for a 4th season and filmed the first episode, but then had to shut down due to COVID and ultimately got canceled later. I guess Netflix decided it wasn’t worth it. I agree that the last season wasn’t the best and was definitely the least funny but it still sucks it went out like that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thanks for this almost-OP suggestion, I've been getting some decent value out of the criterion service and might also sign up to Arrow. BTW the "layout and curation experience" you're talking about is VHX, a whitelabel video hosting platform by Vimeo. If (for pure hypothetical) someone is having trouble with geo VPN usage with one of these services, it may be because you've used a VHX-hosted service in your home country already, and they've squirrelled something into your browser to track you. Use private browsing or another browser if that happens to you, like it definitely didn't happen to me.

An actual question though. It seems to me that Criterion's service is focused on what they consider to be Socially Important films (or at least cinematographically interesting). The words "abstract" and "dreamlike" are in half of the discriptions, and fully half of the library is foreign-language dramas. This is fine when you're in the mood.

You suggested Arrow as complementary, but that seems to be a different flavour of the same thing, i.e. it's focused on Culturally Important films perhaps more than whether the film stands up as entertaining on its own. (this is based just on your description to be fair)

What I would love is a service which has decent-or-better quality films that aren't emotionally moving dramas or Vampire Zombie Guts 4. Like if you took all the films with an IMDB score between 7 and 8.5, and had a decent number of them, not the amazon or netflix approach of 12 decent films floating in a sea of poo poo.

Is there something like that? I'd love to have a good, legal resource for when I just want to see Harrison Ford throw someone off a plane, or whatever.

I missed this post while I was taking a break from the internet.

The way I see it is that while Criterion generally offers more "serious" fare (I do think there's an argument to be made that a lot of what people consider high brow arthouse isn't all that super serious), Arrow generally offers more "fun" genre films that are pretty well respected. Criterion has Godzilla while Arrow has Gamera.

Part of my view as a film fan is that appreciating film as an art form sorta requires viewing the craft of something like a Heisei Gamera with the same sort of respect that one would give something like The Seventh Seal. They're very different films, but they're both excellent films that I think all film fans should check them out.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Thank you for sharing this!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love arrow, just none of it's stuff post 90s that's where it goes from cult film from forced trying to be a cult film.
Anything got Godzilla 90s and ye olde Kong vs Godzilla?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was extremely charmed by Turning Red being a 2002 period piece and enjoyed Mei and her plucky little pals, probably the best Pixar movie in a minute

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

david_a posted:

Yeah, Glow morphed from a comedy to a sappy drama. I’m not sure they were even trying to be funny by the end.

So many comedies fall into that trap, thinking the audience wants to know more about the characters, introducing plot arcs. Actually, it might be easier to name those that don't become a bit soapy - Always Sunny?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glow was always a bit of a dramedy but yeah it kind of lost sight of the comedy aspect. Season 1 is killer. Season 2 is fine. Season 3 is...pretty watchable. I dunno I would have watched more of it, but it's path wasn't strong.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

nonathlon posted:

So many comedies fall into that trap, thinking the audience wants to know more about the characters, introducing plot arcs. Actually, it might be easier to name those that don't become a bit soapy - Always Sunny?

The fact that Sunny managed to have the most emotionally affecting coming out as gay to your dad(s) scene I've ever seen on a major network, but never lost the shows essential spirit of being rude as hell... truly incredible.

It's all about the authenticity baby.

A MIRACLE posted:

also watching The One

PRESIDENT GORE lol

:haibrow:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 16, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

nonathlon posted:

ive been watching good girls and season 2 has like 5 jokes total, gonna check out S3 but probably quitting if it doesn't get funny again

also watching The One

PRESIDENT GORE lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah “GLOW” was always a dramedy, with it being significantly more drama than comedy. Season 3 just didn’t strike as good of a balance.

Famethrowa posted:

The fact that Sunny managed to have the most emotionally affecting coming out as gay to your dad(s) scene I've ever seen on a major network, but never lost the shows essential spirit of being rude as hell... truly incredible.

There’s also the scene with Charlie in the very most recent episode.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nonathlon posted:

Seinfeld.

Curb has ongoing storylines but it's never sappy or heartfelt, even Larry's divorce or donating a kidney were played for laughs.

Arrested Development

Community is debatable I guess

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lots of classic sitcoms developed characters without miring in drama. The low budget dramedy phenomenon is pretty new and I only feel cheated by the ones that rope you in with laughs first before pulling the rug.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just disagree with the concept that GLOW was all but a sitcom that people seem to be insinuating.

There were jokes but it was clearly a drama first with a share of funny bits. The first episode literally revolves around the protagonist sleeping with her best friends husband.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Roth posted:

I missed this post while I was taking a break from the internet.

The way I see it is that while Criterion generally offers more "serious" fare (I do think there's an argument to be made that a lot of what people consider high brow arthouse isn't all that super serious), Arrow generally offers more "fun" genre films that are pretty well respected. Criterion has Godzilla while Arrow has Gamera.

Part of my view as a film fan is that appreciating film as an art form sorta requires viewing the craft of something like a Heisei Gamera with the same sort of respect that one would give something like The Seventh Seal. They're very different films, but they're both excellent films that I think all film fans should check them out.

I would also say that "Like if you took all the films with an IMDB score between 7 and 8.5, and had a decent number of them, not the amazon or netflix approach of 12 decent films floating in a sea of poo poo." largely describes my experience with the HBO Max movie selection. Like, all the mid-tier genre movies that I saw ads for during the early to mid 90s, but was too young to actually see. Plus, a pretty insane selection of both "old" (70s and 80s) and OLD (golden age and earlier) movies.

EDIT: Like someone said, between their existing reputation for decent to great originals and their broad and deep Warner and Warner-adjacent film library (going back literally a century in some cases), HBO Max has low-key become one of the best streaming values.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nonathlon posted:

Two new network comedies have been good: Abbot Elementary and Grand Crew

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Grand crew is getting really good already

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Someone needs to explain to me why The Last Kingdom wants me to feel sympathy for Brida. That lady sucks so bad.

I don't care if she's Uhtred's childhood sweetheart. She's horribly murdered tons of children, and even more innocent men and women. Stiorra let her off easy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I took it less as the show wanting us, the audience, to have a lot of sympathy for Brida than wanting us to understand Uhtred's perspective. I would have been happy to have the show spend a little less time on her and more on his cousin, but I think it fits with the overall theme of showing how much Uhtred lost in getting to where he is at the end of the series.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I get that but when you count all Uhtred has lost it makes the shows obsession with Brida even more awkward. Dude has lost like 10 loves of his life. None of them got the level of care as the chick who bathes in baby's blood, metaphorically.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I don't disagree. The bit where he let her go even after she had just recently mutilated his son definitely felt forced in order to stretch out our time with the character. If they had ended it there I think it would have been fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i thought that entirely too much of GLOW was given to drama between Marc Maron and the ladies

i actually think Maron is fine and i generally enjoy his "edgy larry david" style but the writing just was not there and it really tanked the show. there were literally half a dozen major plots that all boiled down to "marc maron doesn't get along with girls"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I hated in the last season of Glow was that they spent 2 seasons actually making the spoiled yuppie guy that you want to hate extremely likeable, which I felt like was kind of a fun out of left field move that felt unique. Then they just made him kind of a prick in season 3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

precision posted:

i thought that entirely too much of GLOW was given to drama between Marc Maron and the ladies

i actually think Maron is fine and i generally enjoy his "edgy larry david" style but the writing just was not there and it really tanked the show. there were literally half a dozen major plots that all boiled down to "marc maron doesn't get along with girls"

I liked Marc in the show but he was just too much of a dick at times.

Such as how juvenile when he acted toward the camera man who was dating Ruth.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I hated in the last season of Glow was that they spent 2 seasons actually making the spoiled yuppie guy that you want to hate extremely likeable, which I felt like was kind of a fun out of left field move that felt unique. Then they just made him kind of a prick in season 3.

A lot of this may have just been the nature of a four season arc that gets cut off in season 3.

I watched the trailer for "Out Flag Means Death" almost solely because the photo made me think that it was Martin Freeman. Realized it wasn't, and then checked out pretty quickly once the concept unfolded.

EDIT: Although reading this guy's wiki, what a president!

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 17, 2022

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Adam Project was fine, but the cgi young Catherine Keener looked incredibly bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

heck, i liked him from the start. he was a lovable doofus

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Whoever said The Adam Project is Ryan Reynolds downplaying his schtick fully lied lol, if anything the fact that there are two of them at roughly 80% Deadpool mode means you get 160% Deadpool mode

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The script for Free Guy was impressively bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Whoever said The Adam Project is Ryan Reynolds downplaying his schtick fully lied lol, if anything the fact that there are two of them at roughly 80% Deadpool mode means you get 160% Deadpool mode

truth. It's pretty much Ryan Reynolds+a child Ryan Reynolds who is somehow even more annoying.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Double Toasted did a good review of the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WE64UbC6Rg

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

A MIRACLE posted:

Grand crew is getting really good already
Maybe the closest example I can think of is Happy Endings except Grand Crew figured itself out faster. Caught up on the season over the last week and what a joy.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 19, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Maybe the closest example I can think of is Happy Endings except Grand Crew figured itself out faster. Caught up on the season overt the last week and what a joy.

Oh this will get me to watch. Happy Endings is one of my favorite shows and duck everything for it getting cancelled.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1504447227028291595

a reminder that a lot of mgm-branded movies are with warner

but they still have a lot to play with now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The depiction of Brida, a character who is given chance after chance at redemption, who simply and stubbornly cannot help repeating self-destructive patterns of behavior and ways of thinking formed by trauma, who just constantly ruins everything, hits a little too close to home for me and some other people.