Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/benwakana46/status/1504403203714162690

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blaziken386 posted:

avoided covid for two loving years by essentially being a hermit. had to get an in-person job at the grocery store last week. only one of my coworkers routinely wears a (cloth) mask, and about 1 in 10 of the customers do (because "didnt you hear?? covids over, its Normal now")

anyways guess who has omicron symptoms now. im going to personally poo poo in a bucket and mail it to my governor

I will contribute to your bail fund.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I'm guessing they have a better testing infrastructure than the US? Because I am extremely confident that the actual US numbers per capita were just as bad in late December/Early January.

To get a PCR test you either need to be 60+ or bring in a positive rapid test. On top of that they just made a change this week that now records rapid tests performed at clinics or hospitals by medical staff as a valid positive case without the need for a second PCR test.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just got banned from tiktok for saying a girl was spreading her butthole on a video where she was literally spreading her butthole so now I have to doomscroll this thread again. poo poo.

fuckyeahspreadit.jpeg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdM46G984vw

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

avoided covid for two loving years by essentially being a hermit. had to get an in-person job at the grocery store last week. only one of my coworkers routinely wears a (cloth) mask, and about 1 in 10 of the customers do (because "didnt you hear?? covids over, its Normal now")

anyways guess who has omicron symptoms now. im going to personally poo poo in a bucket and mail it to my governor

That sucks rear end. I'm sorry.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

just lmao that all of these terrible people that have driven us to where we are at now continue to be the exact same people that are platformed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/loscharlos/status/1504214938599903237

Yes.

Yes it is.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

durrneez posted:

I went to the hospital and was told to take off my KN95 or put a surgical mask over it

By someone who was wearing a mask on their chin
lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
got an ad for covidtests.gov in my USPS informed delivery email this morning

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

Only a marginal number of healthcare workers are out sick, potentially infecting their families and/or patients, and rolling the dice with long COVID. No biggee.

OR we could look at how if you take someone five months post‐booster and give them another, their neutralizing titers versus Omicron go up six hundred percent.

I don’t know about you, but I would pay twenty bucks for that. Should I need hospital care, bill me twenty bucks for vaccine doses for everyone involved in my care.

We really ought to be getting some second‐generation vaccines into people, but failing that, fourth doses are clearly worthwhile.

Any data on fifth doses? I already scheduled mine. Also is there any data on best practices for it, if so? Like is Pfizer still a bit better for Omicron or what?
I was Moderna for my first full dose/first two jabs. Then Moderna for my first booster. Pfizer for my second booster because the early Omicron data suggested it might be a bit better. Figured I'd go Moderna for what is my fifth and - given the funding - likely last.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Any data on fifth doses? I already scheduled mine. Also is there any data on best practices for it, if so? Like is Pfizer still a bit better for Omicron or what?
I was Moderna for my first full dose/first two jabs. Then Moderna for my first booster. Pfizer for my second booster because the early Omicron data suggested it might be a bit better. Figured I'd go Moderna for what is my fifth and - given the funding - likely last.

The data I posted I believe is cutting edge, in that it is the latest data on doses available. No one - to my knowledge - are doing 5th doses.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

why does unfortunatesexfart get all the good tiktoks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I found out last week that my county has fourteen (14) full time food inspectors for over 8000 (eight thousand) restaurants. They can't fully staff the health department inspection program because they only pay $31K a year for full-time inspectors. That sounds like as good an ideas as any to stay the gently caress out of restaurants, and also industry orgs are insanely good at neutering oversight in an part of American society by making sure it's choked of resources. Just a giant country-shaped golem made out of industry capture.

I was thinking about this again.

As a national average, COVID has killed more than one hundred times as many people as food poisoning for both of the past two years.

If I suggested that PFC’s county should have at least fourteen hundred contact tracers, indefinitely, as part of living with the virus, I would be laughed out of the room.

For comparison, statewide…

https://twitter.com/PhillyInquirer/status/1280543439365554178

https://twitter.com/witfnews/status/1428893370303324160

e: Just under one tenth of Pennsylvania’s residents live in Allegheny County, so slash those numbers by that factor for comparison.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 17, 2022

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:woop:

https://twitter.com/shearm/status/1504420021161893893

(new guy is probably bad too but still)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It would be funny if Joe Biden tested positive for covid on St. Patrick's Day.

E: or any day I guess

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Doses of wild type mRNA vaccine beyond the third/fourth are really only there to attempt to raise your lingering antibody count again such that it can perhaps overwhelm an infectious exposure to Omicron with enough spurious hits to keep you safe. They only make sense if you're going to be going through a dangerous event some two or three weeks after the dose. As pointed out just a little upthread, effects other than refreshing your tits are negligible.

Honestly imo you'd be better off reassessing your mask hygiene.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
[extremely jeff zients voice]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't Ashish Jha one of those Brownpants University psychos

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Blaziken386 posted:

:smith: I hope your case is indeed mild.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't Ashish Jha one of those Brownpants University psychos
Yeah, he sucks too

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

Ah. Brutal. Hopefully you recover fully and quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

Doses of wild type mRNA vaccine beyond the third/fourth are really only there to attempt to raise your lingering antibody count again such that it can perhaps overwhelm an infectious exposure to Omicron with enough spurious hits to keep you safe. They only make sense if you're going to be going through a dangerous event some two or three weeks after the dose. As pointed out just a little upthread, effects other than refreshing your tits are negligible.

Maybe. Some people have unavoidable exposure, e.g. through their kids.

Look at it this way: if you got a dose in early to mid December, it’s only just now beginning to decline. I would say that getting boosted then was a wise choice.

I got a booster in early January. My plan is not to get another booster at the moment I hit three months, but to keep an eye out and potentially get one for an upcoming wave, or changing personal circumstances, or for whatever other reason.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Right that's why I think long term, our vaccine strategy will just be a mRNA shot of whatever at the start of October .. Enough to hopefully get through the holidays

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

Finally, the voice of science, time to close the thread and ban every poster

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How can I be this wrong yet still get a high salaried position?

Do I have to get godparents or what?

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
There's this one too but I'm more sympathetic to 2020-era hopium:

E: But here it is added anyway:

MjolnirMan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 17, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

You need to be connected and psychopathically confident--which is to say, materially incompetent for any job intended to do good works, but PERFECT for a job intended to just bury problems over and over.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I just got banned from tiktok for saying a girl was spreading her butthole on a video where she was literally spreading her butthole so now I have to doomscroll this thread again. poo poo.

snitches get stiches

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s dastardly that Donald Trump undermined Joe Biden’s pandemic response by forcing him to hire Mr. Jha.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pingui posted:

Data on the fourth dose of mRNA vaccine:

thank you for posting this, i was wondering about it as cases rise

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Be supremely confident at all times that all of your past idiotic statements were actually very smart and correct and that anything that looks bad after the fact is simply due to a change in reality.

Basically be a D&D poster.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sphyre posted:

why does unfortunatesexfart get all the good tiktoks

The tiktok algorithm is strongly based on your geographic location so unfortunately you get kiwi girls while I get Margot Robbie lookalikes.

why yes my wife is kiwi, what is your point

Edit: actually our mask bra friend is a kiwi too technically, but she's been in Oz long enough that she doesn't sound like one.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 17, 2022

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
how can you be over 30 and on tiktok? Stay in your lane people

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I am on Australian tik tok and I do not get videos of buttholes but I do get some of farmers making fun of how stupid their sheep are and also kangaroos wandering through bars.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I agree with you. Wearing a mask properly is the way to go. But our son goes to preschool, and while he wears a kn95 most of the day he could still bring it home. I'm not going to lie and try to get a 4th dose but if it gets approved I'm going to get it.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

The tiktok algorithm is strongly based on your geographic location so unfortunately

oh this is why my tiktok feed swings wildly between spanish language mom videos and maga chud bullshit

texas is a land of contrasts

guess it'll be a lot harder to make the algorithm show me nothing but people running around in michael meyers masks

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

. i got yelled at for withdrawing from our saturday plans and telling him he should hit me up when he feels better lmao

Please elaborate... like what words would someone use to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

thank you for posting this, i was wondering about it as cases rise

Most important take-away is that the 4th dose didn't provide a massive improvement in neutralizing antibodies compared to going from dose 2 to dose 3 booster shot.

I still think it will be useful in the longer term due to antibody waning especially after 6 -7 months later given how fast the 3rd booster shot seems to fade out.