Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

bunnyofdoom posted:

No, but that was his cousin

Marvin Feinnes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

tribbledirigible posted:

Marvin Feinnes?

Garydemort

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another failed expedition to the arctic: Vilhjalmur Stefansson's expedition in 1913 to try and find Crocker Land. Amongst his crew was the norwegian topograph Bjarne Mamen and seven inuits. His ship the Karluk got caught in the ice in the middle of septemver and Stefansson proclaimed that he would leave the ship to try and catch some fresh reindeer meat. His hunting expedition included a photographer, anthropologist and a secretary. The rest of the crew wondered why he didn't bring someone with actual hunting experience with him.
January 11th Stefansson still hadn't returned and the Karluk was close to be completely crushed by the ice. The crew members then decided to try their luck on Wrangel Island. Tensions were rising and three members of the crew said that they would try and reach land on their own. The captain, Robert Bartlett, let them go and they were never seen again.
They arrived on Wrangel Island on march 12th and Bartlett decided that he and one of inuits, Kataktovik, should try and seek help.
On Wrangel Island tensions were so high that the survivors split into two groups and settled on the north and south side of the island. Bjarne Mamen, who suffered from a wounded leg and a mysterious illness, was on the south side. On may 17th one of the crew, George Malloch dies. A couple of days later Mamen also dies.
On june 25th people awoke from a gunshot. They found Robert Williamson and Hugh Williams standing over a dead George Breddy. Breddy was disliked by all because he constantly got into arguments and stole food but his death still didn't ease the tension. Finally on september 7th Bartlett returned with the ship King and Wing. 11 out of 23 members of the expedition survived. Stefansson wrote a book called the Friendly Arctic about how easy it is to survive in the arctic. Mamen probably died of eating faulty pemmican.

(Mugpi, the youngest member of the expedition and one of the survivors. She died in 2008)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
So did Stefansson ever come back with that reindeer meat, or he just walked home?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Had the same question. When did the "friendly Arctic" return him?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

tribbledirigible posted:

Marvin Feinnes?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

So did Stefansson ever come back with that reindeer meat, or he just walked home?

He realized that the Karluk was doomed and left while it was still possible.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh so saying "going to hunt reindeer" is the Scandinavian equivalent of going out to get cigarettes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Whën æ vås sëvën yëårs öld mæ pappa vënt öüt til hönt rëïnðëër och nëvër kåmë bäkk.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Soul Dentist posted:

Oh so saying "going to hunt reindeer" is the Scandinavian equivalent of going out to get cigarettes

In Greenland, they have the expression "qaqqamut" meaning "going to the mountains", which they'll use whenever they feel they need a break from everyone.

I'd remind you all that Greenland has a population density of 0.028 persons per square kilometer and that the largest city is less than 20000 people.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's too many people and I am feelin' the mountains for sure

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
*George Castanza voice* THAT'S IT! I'M GOIN TO THE MOUNTAINS!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RagnarokZ posted:

In Greenland, they have the expression "qaqqamut" meaning "going to the mountains", which they'll use whenever they feel they need a break from everyone.

I'd remind you all that Greenland has a population density of 0.028 persons per square kilometer and that the largest city is less than 20000 people.

In Finland you just leave. If you don't feel like being around people, why the gently caress would you feel like talking to them?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love the thought of someone putting together a team to explore the Arctic, realizing halfway that they're surrounded by idiots who will probably get themselves killed and just noping out of your own expedition.

- Hey, Stefansson, where you going?
- [startled that someone noticed them leaving and looking very guilty] To... uhh... to hunt some reindeer meat! I'll be right back!
- Cool! Bring a big piece for me, hah!
- ...sure. [starts briskly walking towards the horizon]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

He was probably just mad that nobody remembered to bring a gong.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We talked about this, it was the gong OR the player piano, YOU said piano

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In Finland you just leave. If you don't feel like being around people, why the gently caress would you feel like talking to them?

I'm told that if you do this at a party in the Anglosphere it's colloquially known as an Irish Goodbye.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No they told everyone they are going to the mountains, mostly because of they notice your gone without telling anyone, they presume polar bears, blizzards of nowhere, got drunk and fell into the sea or you just got lost.

By telling them, they know you've gone to one of a handful of mountains nearby and know where to look for you, in case of sudden massive snow and/or wind.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Other places, people would go after them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Only thing worse than a surprise party is a search party

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RagnarokZ posted:

No they told everyone they are going to the mountains, mostly because of they notice your gone without telling anyone, they presume polar bears, blizzards of nowhere, got drunk and fell into the sea or you just got lost.

By telling them, they know you've gone to one of a handful of mountains nearby and know where to look for you, in case of sudden massive snow and/or wind.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Other places, people would go after them

That's hosed up.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's hosed up.

Agreed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love the thought of someone putting together a team to explore the Arctic, realizing halfway that they're surrounded by idiots who will probably get themselves killed and just noping out of your own expedition.

- Hey, Stefansson, where you going?
- [startled that someone noticed them leaving and looking very guilty] To... uhh... to hunt some reindeer meat! I'll be right back!
- Cool! Bring a big piece for me, hah!
- ...sure. [starts briskly walking towards the horizon]
Stefansson was arguably just as responsible for the expedition. He was the one who bought the bad pemmican which probably killed Mamen for example.
And when of the crew said that other members of the crew wasn't suited to be on a polar expedition (because they were drug addicts and had smuggled alcohol on board) Stefansson fired him. Already before the voyage began members of the expedition voiced their concern that Stefansson was too busy with raising publicity around the voyage than making the proper preparations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
So the guys who saw an issue and acted on it were fired, thus kept from danger, yes?
And the only guys who left with him either didn't see any issues or didn't act on their concerns?
And once the ship was safely in danger, Stefansson left and went home?

I see success and a service to mankind!

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Mar 16, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm told that if you do this at a party in the Anglosphere it's colloquially known as an Irish Goodbye.

Oh I thought an irish goodbye in england was something else entirely

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's called a black and tan there

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

An Irish Goodbye is a large McFry.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
Fight me like a man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

As opposed to 'Italian goodbye', which involves sticking around talking for at least half an hour in the doorway and another by the car. While you've told your children to pack up and be ready to go, and scold them if they try to do anything to pass the time.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As opposed to 'Italian goodbye', which involves sticking around talking for at least half an hour in the doorway and another by the car. While you've told your children to pack up and be ready to go, and scold them if they try to do anything to pass the time.

I wonder if that's a regional thing. A friend of mine from Long Island calls that the "Jewish Goodbye", but I've heard it as Italian in the Philly area.

The Irish goodbye seems pretty widespread though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What is it called when everybody says goodbye too early and then they awkwardly repeat it several times before the leaving party actually gets around to leaving?

Th3D0Nn
Jul 22, 2015
Cincinnati checking in, we just call it a "Midwestern goodbye"

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

What is it called when everybody says goodbye too early and then they awkwardly repeat it several times before the leaving party actually gets around to leaving?

The Brexit.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Being Swedish

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2vX6gN_kXU&t=47s

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Simultaneously the worst and funniest Arctic explorer is a Swede, S. A. Andrée. In 1897 he decided to reach the North Pole in a hydrogen balloon. It went about as well as you'd expect.

Some fun things that Andrée did:

-Having the balloon go completely out of control already during his training trips, including almost crashing into Stockholm's archipelago and accidentally flying into Finland
-Lying about how much the balloon lost hydrogen during flight and thus completely loving up calculations on how long they could be airborne
-Taking homing pigeons, champagne and a crew consisting of guys described as "indoor types" aboard. Oh, they also had one guy who had broken his foot previously but didn't tell them.

And this is just a tip of the iceberg. If there was a good option and a bad option, this guy would make up and choose a third option so loving terrible no one thought it could be possible. It's just a series of catastrophically bad ideas by a suicidal optimist. Heartily recommend reading the Wiki link, or reading Bea Uusma's book The expedition: a love story.

Doll House Ghost has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Mar 18, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEigGPmYJuo

Really wild some of the early ideas people had regarding paleontology, particularly when trying to make it match with their religious beliefs

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wonder if that's a regional thing. A friend of mine from Long Island calls that the "Jewish Goodbye", but I've heard it as Italian in the Philly area.

The Irish goodbye seems pretty widespread though.

This is typical among family and friends i meet in Portugal (and less so in Sweden where i live). Maybe more common in "warmer" mediterranean cultures? People get dressed and stand by the door to leave, you kiss goodbye but then they just hang around for 15 minutes talking but since you already kissed/shaked hands you just leave when the conversation ends without a second parting gesture.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Doll House Ghost posted:

[...]hot air balloon. [...]
[...]the balloon lost hydrogen during flight [...]
What? Did he use hydrogen as fuel for the burner? Or was the balloon filled with hydrogen AND he put a burner underneath?

Not trying to be snarky, those _were_ adventurous times full of hydrogen based air travel.

My Airship Favourite Fun Fact is the smoking room on the Hindenburg. Please consider that with the Hindenburg, the passenger space was integrated into the frame, as opposed to hanging underneath it. So yes, somebody designed a smoking room engulfed in a volume of hydrogen.

(and that wasn't even the reason for the disaster. I think something about the protection paint of the outer skin was the reason for it?)

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

What? Did he use hydrogen as fuel for the burner? Or was the balloon filled with hydrogen AND he put a burner underneath?

Not trying to be snarky, those _were_ adventurous times full of hydrogen based air travel.

Lmao no, that was my sleepy brain adding "hot air" there.