Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the mix of regular instant melee dps weaponskills with the "casting" sen weaponskills is also neat and gives sam a very unique feel that i appreciate

it really sells the "this is my big combo finisher and it's gonna hurt" thing

but you've also got just enough ogcds and other cooldowns to keep things interesting inbetween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't remember (Post-Shadowbringers)Ruby Weapon giving birth to an angel that can summon down a moon in FF7 What the gently caress...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I don't get it.

Leraika posted:

bard and summoner have basically identical dps it looks like?

smn has equivalent rdps to brd despite brd being the "support" ranged dps (and smn supposedly having a braindead "rotation" which i can't comment on because i haven't played nu summoner)

and smn and mch have equivalent ndps despite mch, while somewhat simplistic, still being sweaty af

ultimately it barely matters but it's up there with loving ninja being at the bottom of the barrel for rdps with loving trick attack

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I think at this point, SMN and RDM are going to be getting a similar DPS tax as the ranged physical DPS going forward because of their raises/extra utility and even better movement than previous. The rest of the DPS are a lot closer in rDPS, then there's a big gap to the rest of the classes.

You can argue about how much the mobility stuff actually translates into higher DPS, but there ya go.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

basically they want to make some more complicated jobs but are dreadfully terrified of making those more complicated jobs actually pay out because then the rear end in a top hat gamers will laser focus on those jobs because they give a 0.47% dps advantage and everyone else eats poo poo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't remember (Post-Shadowbringers)Ruby Weapon giving birth to an angel that can summon down a moon in FF7 What the gently caress...

Did you do Coils of Bahamut?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Did you do Coils of Bahamut?

I did not.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Ibblebibble log out of your alt :v:

i am my own poster with my own desires and own attachments to clunky previous iterations of jobs :negative:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
The "angel" tells you its name Nael Van Darnus "The White Raven", aka the big bad of vanilla FFXIV, which was the instigator of the Meteor Project to crash the satellite Dalamund unto Eorza, so it's quite a surprise she shows up there since the WoL killed her back in vanilla...
Oh and yeah the phase 2 was totally unexpected for me, especially since the first phase felt like a legit trial lol
Enjoy this questline, it's quite... "fun". Burn out the bad *clap clap clap*

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For some reason one of my clearest memories of this thread was someone complaining about getting kicked for msq roulette idling and they got dogpiled and never posted again

Were they full on afk? I've definitely been in prae groups with unchill people who start freaking out that someone was tabbed out and miss the first 10 seconds of a fight and start trying to get them kicked.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CJ posted:

Were they full on afk? I've definitely been in prae groups with unchill people who start freaking out that someone was tabbed out and miss the first 10 seconds of a fight and start trying to get them kicked.

drat I wonder why that could be

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

No Dignity posted:

drat I wonder why that could be

I just assume they don't have a second monitor and don't know exactly when the cutscene ends. If someone is AFK for the entire thing i try to get a votekick going but it isn't really a big deal if someone is a few seconds late to the fight.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

squirrelzipper posted:

I love SAM. So fun, challenging but not frustrating, easy to grasp but also hard to really master. It's very fun.

I liked Sam in shb but found it quite annoying, especially the buff maintenance. From what I can see all the endwalker changes have vastly reduced the annoying bits so I should really try again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CJ posted:

they were full on afking for the entire back half of the instance

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Awesome! posted:

they were full on afking for the entire back half of the instance

Then yeah you can't really complain if your group decides to kick you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

aers posted:

wow good news!

Punches do more DPS on average than scythes or katanas?

I'm trying do decide on a melee DPS. Don't want to go Reaper for lore/aesthetic, SAM seems complicated and many buttons but could be fun.

Pugilist feels ok, punching rocks. Gotta see where it goes with the stances.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MNK isn't really a stance job. The only reason why you have stances at each combo point is to allow freeform mixing of the two combo paths at any single point in the combo. In effect it's just a different way to handle the combo system. MNK is really good now though and extremely fun to play, especially if you aren't overly fond of oGCDs.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a Monk and I like it a lot, but I almost never see other monks when I'm out and about. I'm often the only Monk in an Alliance Raid. I don't mind all that much, very low competition for Striking Gear.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I started playing NIN really late in shadowbringers, and it was a lot of fun! I liked the mudras, Raiton is a kickass ability that you get really early, just feels good to hit with it. You get some really big damage numbers, and you have just enough range that you can move away from the boss and still hit it for a bit. I sat in front of a target dummy for like 45 minutes just practicing the opening burst, and when you get it right you feel like a god. I heard it got some new abilities to shove into the opener in endwalker though... did they need to make it harder?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
NIN's mudras feel weird to me because i'm used to spam clicking an ability in the 0.5 second queue period until it goes off, but if you try that with mudras you end up just messing up the inputs. I think i'd have to play it a lot to retrain the muscle memory.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Heran Bago posted:

Punches do more DPS on average than scythes or katanas?

I'm trying do decide on a melee DPS. Don't want to go Reaper for lore/aesthetic, SAM seems complicated and many buttons but could be fun.

Pugilist feels ok, punching rocks. Gotta see where it goes with the stances.

Punches have historically been on of the strongest damage dealers in all final fantasy games. In the original, your black belt and then master after a certain point are better with no weapons at all and will do more damage than a knight or ninja with the masamune.

Monk is also the least changed job since ARR. They've had some QoL stuff and had their dots drop, but generally speaking it's the same class as it was 9 years ago and you have effectively a full toolbox at 50. However, it is also a bit more of a challenge than other jobs and will have one of (if not the) fastest gcd in the game. There are also a current weird situation where monk is optimized by using a third party tool to set your frame rate to 59fps. I don't know much about it, I just know our monk does it.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 17, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mr. Nice! posted:

Punches have historically been on of the strongest damage dealers in all final fantasy games. In the original, your monk and then master after a certain point are better with no weapons at all and will do as much damage as a knight with the masamune.

Monk is also the least changed job since ARR. They've had some QoL stuff and had their dots drop, but generally speaking it's the same class as it was 9 years ago and you have effectively a full toolbox at 50. However, it is also a bit more of a challenge than other jobs and will have one of (if not the) fastest gcd in the game. There are also a current weird situation where monk is optimized by using a third party tool to set your frame rate to 59fps. I don't know much about it, I just know our monk does it.

I played monk to 50 in Stormblood and didn't like it, but i thought they redesigned it for Endwalker?

A for the 59fps thing, does it have a short GCD? I heard there's weird alignment things with FPS so maybe it has a bigger impact with a shorter GCD.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

A Moose posted:

I started playing NIN really late in shadowbringers, and it was a lot of fun! I liked the mudras, Raiton is a kickass ability that you get really early, just feels good to hit with it. You get some really big damage numbers, and you have just enough range that you can move away from the boss and still hit it for a bit. I sat in front of a target dummy for like 45 minutes just practicing the opening burst, and when you get it right you feel like a god. I heard it got some new abilities to shove into the opener in endwalker though... did they need to make it harder?

It's not really harder, they simplified Assassinate/DwaD so it's just a single oGCD now, and ninja doesn't have a DoT anymore. Main difference is just that you get a special ender after doing raiton now.

Hace fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 17, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CJ posted:

I played monk to 50 in Stormblood and didn't like it, but i thought they redesigned it for Endwalker?

A for the 59fps thing, does it have a short GCD? I heard there's weird alignment things with FPS so maybe it has a bigger impact with a shorter GCD.

The big thing they changed with monk are QoL changes such as greased lightning no longer needing to be built up and maintained (it is now a trait) and removal of a lot of it's positional requirements.

There are additional oGCDs and such, but the basic principle is the same. And, yes, monk has a very short GCD. 1.93 or 1.94 for BiS right now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The one real disadvantage of Monk is that it's not particularly flashy, everyone else is vomiting Easter egg bombs and particle effects and you're just punching and/or kicking.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think a problem is that the people who are into the class fantasy of monks are also probably into the class fantasy of ninja or samurai as well and they're a lot flashier.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

The one real disadvantage of Monk is that it's not particularly flashy, everyone else is vomiting Easter egg bombs and particle effects and you're just punching and/or kicking.

This is good actually. Monks practice good fundamentals.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

At least MNK has a move that allows you to kamehameha the ground, and that's good enough for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For Monk does anything top the Emperor's New Fist for weapon glams?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Apparently the best Monk weapon glam was the Makai Fists but it sounds like they aren't available anymore.

E: Monk LB3 should be a suplex.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 17, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

Apparently the best Monk weapon glam was the Makai Fists but it sounds like they aren't available anymore.

These are badass :aaa:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zodiac Kettles.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

E: Monk LB3 should be a suplex.

I really like the shiny Byakko's Fist weapon...its big and shiny and flashy and looks great like it comes from an electric cat robot

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The first glowy weapon from Eureka is actually surprisingly similar, just with a bit more cruft at the wrists. Same with the knuckles off O12s if you want to go for a more sci-fi looking variant.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kettle Knuckles Nexus

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked the Hellfire Claws for a good bit (mainly for being extremely easy to get), but now I use the tonfas that are the first form of the Shadowbringers relic.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Monk Glams?!

https://twitter.com/NoperQ/status/1486588641409335297?s=20&t=5hA0FOPIZAU1QPAbKL6Rsg

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Punches have historically been on of the strongest damage dealers in all final fantasy games. In the original, your black belt and then master after a certain point are better with no weapons at all and will do more damage than a knight or ninja with the masamune.

Hardcore MNK optimisation is a hellpit of crazy poo poo and I think that anyone who seriously pursues it should be legally declared mentally insane.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ having looked at the current Monk rotation guides linked from the Balance, I agree that it's some of the wildest poo poo I've seen offered as optimization advice in the life of the game. And I lived through the Fracture Wars.

aers posted:

wow good news!

Huh, I had thought Reaper was much higher up in the rankings, to the point where people were thinking it was a bit over-tuned out of the box.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Nice! posted:

The big thing they changed with monk are QoL changes such as greased lightning no longer needing to be built up and maintained (it is now a trait) and removal of a lot of it's positional requirements.

There are additional oGCDs and such, but the basic principle is the same. And, yes, monk has a very short GCD. 1.93 or 1.94 for BiS right now.

Yeah the recent monk changes basically just condensed its ogcd damage buttons into a single system. It's core rotation is still the same 6 buttons in the same loops.