Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Hoarfrost stomp does about 1/3 of the damage it used to do now.

what the gently caress. is there a way to NOT update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unplug your internet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm overall pretty happy with how the Moonveil nerf shook out. It's now more of a clear trade-off between Transient Moonlight on Moonveil and Unsheathe on a normal katana. Transient Moonlight has range and AoE, but does slightly less damage and costs more FP. Unsheathe does more damage and is more FP-efficient, but is only melee-range. Both are still great weapon arts.

Honestly the only bad balance change I've seen in this patch is the Hoarfrost Stomp one, which I think was an over-nerf. Everything else seems really fair. Things that were too good are still good or even very good, just more in line with other options. Really don't know why they nuked Hoarfrost so bad, though. It needed to be toned down, but this is a bit much.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 17, 2022

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mailer posted:

I guess, yeah, you kinda win in the nerf-the-good-stuff scenario. I wasn't intending to imply you said something you didn't but the context was a little loose. Having X more options that aren't good every nerf cycle is a positive in this very limited case. You have to admit "Yay, this thing is crap now!" is still a weird take.

The underdog stuff doesn't really interest me. When someone says they spent a week trying to kill a boss and finally did it like, yeah, congrats, but why the hell would you spend a week trying to beat one boss unless you're a streamer and get paid to rage at games? ER's final boss had my highest time ever at just over two hours and none of that was fun. I'm sure someone will no-hit SL1 this game glitchless with a DDR pad blindfolded at some point but that level of suffering isn't what I'm here for.

If you spam dodge to the side twice when he throws you'll dodge it and also the followup.

Radagon is like the only thing in the last third of this game that is pretty good. No weird hyperdelayed variable timing, consistent responses, predictable dodge patterns, no OHKs. About the only bullshit thing I can think of is jumping for the big triple-hit smash wave at your summon and then instantly pivoting in the air to you because you hit a button.

just find something else OP and broken, just because they took the one thing that trivialised every fight in the game out of the game doesn't mean you have to play the game blindfolded on a banana controller.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

blue squares posted:

i promise the game is more fun if you don't vaporise every problem by mashing one button

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

Honestly the only bad balance change I've seen in this patch is the Hoarfrost Stomp one, which I think was an over-nerf. Everything else seems really fair. Things that were too good are still good or even very good, just more in line with other options. Really don't know why they nuked Hoarfrost so bad, though. It needed to be toned down, but this is a bit much.

Does it still easily build up frostbite? That's not useless.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i also think making the bosses (more) unfair and hard to read is probably the only way they could think of to keep them challenging. replaying the old souls games, you slice through them like a hot knife through butter once you have the dodge timing down, which never really changes in the whole game.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just popped in to use Hoarfrost Stomp.

They massacred my boy :cry:

I’m actually kind of ok with it. I was too reliant upon it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im not mad Hoarfrost got nerfed. It plus mimic tear made Mogh a fricken joke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Does it still easily build up frostbite? That's not useless.

That's a good point. You can use it to frostbite enemies and then just fall back on regular attacks or a different weapon until frostbite wears off. And groups of weaker enemies might just be outright killed by the frostbite. You might be right about that. I'll have to test that after work.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Never noticed it before so I presume that's new? NPCs now have markers showing them all over the map. Finger Reader Crones, Knight Bernahl, Merchant Kalé, Patches... That's pretty handy.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
1. Were the non-bell walking mausoleums in fact bugged/broken?

2. If they were, did the patch fix them?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FishMcCool posted:

Never noticed it before so I presume that's new? NPCs now have markers showing them all over the map. Finger Reader Crones, Knight Bernahl, Merchant Kalé, Patches... That's pretty handy.

Ooof. Cluttering the map with poo poo to do? That’s pretty Ubisoft right there.

(This is great)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Yep, that's new. It's really nice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My friend have you heard about our lord and savior Starscourge Greatsword?

It's good until something has a shield, then it totally crumples in my experience

Harrow posted:

That's a good point. You can use it to frostbite enemies and then just fall back on regular attacks or a different weapon until frostbite wears off. And groups of weaker enemies might just be outright killed by the frostbite. You might be right about that. I'll have to test that after work.

To be honest this entire time I thought the second proc on Hoarfrost was the frostbite damage triggering, since my cold greatsword does the same thing when it triggers

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They may have nerfed the stomp, but they cant take away my getting so fed up with radahan that I just stomped over and over and killed him in his first phase

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

"Improving shields" lol sure, then what's this:

https://twitter.com/IronPineapple_/status/1504341541397176323?t=hmb0zmUwL7VcwIS_FmMLIw&s=19

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:negative:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ooof. Not that I used it that much, but that was a 100% physical mitigation wasn't it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol just checked, the actual frostbite damage proc off Hoarfrost got cut in half too. The initial frost crystal charge damage is unchanged, the pop is weaker, then the frost pop is especially weaker

Rip

The sword of night and fire's laser seems like 40% weaker?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gort posted:

What's the lightest shield that'll get 100 stability with the greatshield talisman?

The fingerprint stone is the only shield in the game that can hit 100 stability with just that talisman (without using barricade). It's also the heaviest shield in the game at like 29 units. It also needs to be +25 for this.

If you mean to hit 100 with barricade active, anything with at least 55 stability should work with the +10 from talisman and +35 from barricade.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 17, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

repiv posted:

i promise the game is more fun if you don't vaporise every problem by mashing one button

its also more fun if I have that option once I have died 20 times to the same thing and am no longer having fun. I'm old and busy and being stuck on one thing is not fun for me, and I play games to have fun

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Ooof. Not that I used it that much, but that was a 100% physical mitigation wasn't it?

yes, which is was perfect for a shield made from the shell of an elden ring god

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

blue squares posted:

its also more fun if I have that option once I have died 20 times to the same thing and am no longer having fun. I'm old and busy and being stuck on one thing is not fun for me, and I play games to have fun

Linear games suck like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

It was, yeah.

This change makes sense to a degree because the Great Turtle Shell is this game's version of the Grass Crest Shield, and the Grass Crest never had 100% physical block. That said I also think the stamina regen on the Great Turtle Shell is less than Grass Crest used to be (and definitely less than the Green Turtle Talisman in Elden Ring) so ehh, maybe not a necessary change.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
quote is not edit

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I got invaded by a dude dressed in green named Leonardo with the turtle shield and a katana. Gotta give him kudos

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok, fiddling around Hoarfrost is still good but the damage was effectively halfed and you can't stack it anymore (the stacking is fair but wow the frostbite damage got nerfed really hard, may as well take it off my sword). The sword of night and fire's laser I can't actually tell - it's weaker on trash but things like Leyndell nights it's doing the same amount of damage as ever. The flame sweep lost 500 damage.

Not really a big deal in the long run actually except frostbite as a status in general seems like it's pretty weak now (though I guess they want the damage absorption reduction to make up for it)

e: Chilling mist meanwhile does 600 then 970 once the frostbite procs. Hoarfrost does 300 with the proc. I guess just switch to that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 17, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

It was, yeah.

This change makes sense to a degree because the Great Turtle Shell is this game's version of the Grass Crest Shield, and the Grass Crest never had 100% physical block. That said I also think the stamina regen on the Great Turtle Shell is less than Grass Crest used to be (and definitely less than the Green Turtle Talisman in Elden Ring) so ehh, maybe not a necessary change.

The shield was super useful as starter shield for a STR build. 2h weapon, get some extra regen and pop shield barricade when needed. 87% physical block now means that it isn't worth equipping now as there are lighter shields you can use with 100% block and similar stability you can slap shield barrier.

Casually a nerf that makes a shield almost useless unless they buff at least the stamina regen.

They can still rebalance stuff and I hope they don't keep just loving stuff up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As someone who never used hoarfrost stomp once in their initial playthru: It's gonna be alright.

In fact I never used ashes ever and still got thru the game (powerstance collossals and greatswords at the end with blasphemous). People saying, "whelp, I can't play" are not screwed if you're not a pro SL1 bashing the game over their knees - tons of other things to beat this game with.

And on my sorc build I am not even gonna touch the Fire and Night whatever, never planned on it either! Right now rocking the Meteoric Ore Blade which has Int scaling and it loving rules. Maybe grab Moonveil later or even do the DGS.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Seems they fixed the missing 10th ritual pot - go to Laskyar Ruins and pick that one up again. I had already gotten that one and yet I could pick it up again.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The fingerprint stone is the only shield in the game that can hit 100 stability with just that talisman (without using barricade). It's also the heaviest shield in the game at like 29 units. It also needs to be +25 for this.

If you mean to hit 100 with barricade active, anything with at least 55 stability should work with the +10 from talisman and +35 from barricade.

Welp, now I know what I'm replacing Brass Shield/Barricade with!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Did the stomp change actually change the just stabbing people frostbite damage/proc etc? I still found that effective and fun

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Really happy with the spell buffs. The star spells were as strong as pebble for twice the fp, so the fact that they just cost less FP makes them make more sense.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guillermus posted:

The shield was super useful as starter shield for a STR build. 2h weapon, get some extra regen and pop shield barricade when needed. 87% physical block now means that it isn't worth equipping now as there are lighter shields you can use with 100% block and similar stability you can slap shield barrier.

Casually a nerf that makes a shield almost useless unless they buff at least the stamina regen.

They can still rebalance stuff and I hope they don't keep just loving stuff up.

Turtle shield isn't useless. You can still put it on your back and get the stamina when 2h'd. and 87% is still a TON. Jesus christ, relax. Bosses don't give a gently caress about shields anyways.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vintersorg posted:

As someone who never used hoarfrost stomp once in their initial playthru: It's gonna be alright.

In fact I never used ashes ever and still got thru the game (powerstance collossals and greatswords at the end with blasphemous). People saying, "whelp, I can't play" are not screwed if you're not a pro SL1 bashing the game over their knees - tons of other things to beat this game with.

And on my sorc build I am not even gonna touch the Fire and Night whatever, never planned on it either! Right now rocking the Meteoric Ore Blade which has Int scaling and it loving rules. Maybe grab Moonveil later or even do the DGS.

The Sword of Night and Fire is still extremely good, but outside of hitting chilling mist with the slash you do at the same time (it's 300 something if you don't but frostbite is basically guaranteed) I don't see how to get a good frostbite build now. It builds up much slower on Hoarfrost now too but the proc all around is drastically weaker, not just the ashes of war.

Guess I'll just switch to bleed or something, not a big deal, but dang. I liked using it after not at all in DS3 lol

The Chad Jihad posted:

Did the stomp change actually change the just stabbing people frostbite damage/proc etc? I still found that effective and fun

As far as I can tell yes. The actual frostbite damage is worse and it builds slower. Chilling Mist builds at the same pace but the frostbite proc is still not particularly strong.

The only thing I'm slightly mad about though is not getting to play around with the dumb greatshield gun more but that was definitely not intentional lol

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

blue squares posted:

the game's not that hard

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone's curious, I tested the posture damage on Moonveil. It's now about equal to Unsheathe. Both take two hits to stagger a Banished Knight in Farum Azula, or three hits to stagger the big guys around the Frozen Lake. It's hard to know with 100% certainty since posture is invisible, but going purely by test results they seem equal.

Again, extremely fair. That's still a really good amount of posture damage.

Moonveil now deals less damage than Unsheathe and costs more FP, but has range and AoE. Unsheathe costs less FP and deals more damage, but only hits in melee range directly in front of you. Both feel pretty similar as far as speed and recovery time, and both do great posture damage.

I'm really happy with that. That's a really fair nerf.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Did they fix the Mohg wall jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nerfing frostbite will be a huge hit on bosses. Very happy I was able to make it through the game a few days earlier - with hoarfrost and mimic being my go-to solutions for a lot of the latter 3rd of the games' bosses.

Some of the fights in the later parts are absolutely brutal for someone who is not that well versed in soulsborne games. I don't think it's such a bad thing to have a cheese/crutch to help those guys through the game too.