Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I was under the impression the iPad could control the Mac.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sleepwalkers posted:

correct, it all stems from the mac and bleeds over to other macs/ipads, not the other way around

If this is true then this feature is less cool, then.

- Posted on my iPad via the Awful App and typed on a MacBook.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I've got Universal Control working to share the keyboard/trackpad on my MacBook over to the iPad, but can't seem to go the opposite direction (use iPad connected keyboard to type on my Mac). Is this not possible to do?

sleepwalkers posted:

correct, it all stems from the mac and bleeds over to other macs/ipads, not the other way around

Controlling my Mac from my iPad works fine, but you might need a trackpad or mouse with the iPad. I can slide the cursor from the Mac off the side of the screen and control the iPad, and from the iPad I can use the trackpad to slide off the side of the screen to the Mac.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fourwood posted:

Isn’t it basically the same prices as the last gen Air?

If you want more than 64gb storage you're better off paying CAD $50 more for the 128gb 11" Pro than getting the 256gb Air.

- 120hz screen vs 60
- 4 speakers vs 2
- 600 nits vs 500
- 11" screen vs 10.9"
- 2 rear cameras vs 1
- Time of flight sensor for AR vs none
- thunderbolt vs usb-c

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if I'm the exception or the norm, but if you're at all interested in an iPad, and you don't know what a 120hz feels like, I strongly suggest you don't do a side by side comparison.

120hz has guaranteed Apple that I will spend more money every time I buy an iPad now. Like that's not exaggeration, I just can't do 60 on an iPad anymore. I know it's silly but I'mma die on that hill. Or at least my wallet will. Thank god my Pros will keep chugging for the next few years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

I don't know if I'm the exception or the norm, but if you're at all interested in an iPad, and you don't know what a 120hz feels like, I strongly suggest you don't do a side by side comparison.

120hz has guaranteed Apple that I will spend more money every time I buy an iPad now. Like that's not exaggeration, I just can't do 60 on an iPad anymore. I know it's silly but I'mma die on that hill. Or at least my wallet will. Thank god my Pros will keep chugging for the next few years.

Nope, same here.

Like, different if it’s a business use case, especially one where if it’s just a customer facing POS then you may not need it, or like, for a kid’s tablet obviously you usually aren’t getting the Pro.

But yeah, once I got the 10.5” with Pro Motion, not going back to an iPad without it. Same with the iPhone as well. Sucks to have to pay more, but it is one feature that is totally worth it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I've got a Pro and I keep 120hz turned off for extra battery. I really don't get why so many people like it. Hooray for poo poo eyes I guess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

120hz is nice but I will also turn it off if I’m trying to save battery. luckily the new low power mode on iPads will also turn it off, making it easier to toggle from control center

It doesn’t make a huge difference to me either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I leave it on and haven't had any issues with battery life so idk

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Leaving it on doesn’t cause “issues,” you just get more life between charges when it’s off, which may be good for trips or if your battery health is kinda crap. Got my battery replaced though and I’m back on the 120 train

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can’t resist being snarky with this one and saying if I wanted to manage my battery life by toggling the refresh rate of my device, I would just get an android device.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You would suffer getting an android tablet just for that? They’re really really bad.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Last Chance posted:

You would suffer getting an android tablet just for that? They’re really really bad.

Muh emulators tho :arghfist::saddowns:

Realtalk: why get an Android tablet now that Steam Deck and other Switch clones exist

smr
Dec 18, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm 33 and I'm nearsighted and have a slight astigmatism, and I never had glasses till middle school and I'm 33 now. Last time I went to the eye doctor, my eyesight got better?? The doctor said that happens sometimes??

I can see fine close up but I did notice a slight change in wearing glasses at my gaming pc that blades of grass were better defined. I usually always have sunglasses available, and use them often, along with the blue tint on my glasses too when I can.

It's really currently only an issue if I want to read text 20-30' away that I need the glasses without squinting.

I really doubt something so drastic would change in 6 years

lol you sweet summer child.

my wife had perfect 20/10 vision until she turned 44. now she has to use multiple pairs of differing-strength cheaters to read anything from up close to a typical screen distance. my own near sight, which has always been bad but reliably so, also changed significantly for the worse in my 40's.

dunno where you’re getting this weird confidence that you’re built different but, trust the olds, you’re not.

relevant to the topic, I have a new Mini and desperately want it to be my regular iPad but if I’m even the slightest bit tired (which is almost always) my eyes find it all too small to deal with, so I end up reaching for the 11” almost all the time even though I like the overall form factor less.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Last Chance posted:

120hz is nice but I will also turn it off if I’m trying to save battery. luckily the new low power mode on iPads will also turn it off, making it easier to toggle from control center

It doesn’t make a huge difference to me either.

Isn't ProMotion adaptive so the high refresh rate only is in effect when the screen is in motion anyway? Like, Apple Pencil usage, scrolling, gaming, etc?

I've left it on on my 13PM and that thing still has amazing battery life. I can usually leave it for 2-3 days between charges and I spend a lot of time doomscrolling.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Isn't ProMotion adaptive so the high refresh rate only is in effect when the screen is in motion anyway? Like, Apple Pencil usage, scrolling, gaming, etc?

I've left it on on my 13PM and that thing still has amazing battery life. I can usually leave it for 2-3 days between charges and I spend a lot of time doomscrolling.

yes the battery life is just fine with 120hz. there are no issues with battery life and 120hz. there is adaptive refresh rate. all correct.

However, capping the framerate will let you squeeze just a tiny bit more out of it if you're traveling or don't have a chance to charge it again for a while and doing a lot of scrolling. Hence apple making 60hz a thing in low power mode.

OR like in my case, the battery health on my ipad pro was 70% and it would last only a day or so with normal use, so any bit helped.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

:thejoke:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the answer to every question in this thread: a regular ipad is fine but you should get an air instead, if you're looking at the air a pro is only like $50 more, if you're considering the 11" why not just get the 12" pro, if you max out the storage on the pro it also comes with more memory

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

the answer to every question in this thread: a regular ipad is fine but you should get an air instead, if you're looking at the air a pro is only like $50 more, if you're considering the 11" why not just get the 12" pro, if you max out the storage on the pro it also comes with more memory

:hmmyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple Price Ladder is real and strong and my friend

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Break the ladder and buy refurbed

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Going on ten years now and damned if the 2012 Mac Mini wasn't one of the most value efficient purchases I've ever made.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Going on ten years now and damned if the 2012 Mac Mini wasn't one of the most value efficient purchases I've ever made.

I will agree, though some users I've talked to expect their 2012 mac mini to have the performance of a 2021 mac mini and well, that goes about as well as you'd expect

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ummmmm, 2012 and 2021 have the exact same numbers in them. Checkmate appleailure

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

hatty posted:

By about the time they show up on the Apple refurbished store you can probably find a steeper discount at various retailers on a new one. Like I think the Air 4 was $50 cheaper refurbished, but was regularly on sale for like $100 off at Amazon/Best Buy/whatever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I will agree, though some users I've talked to expect their 2012 mac mini to have the performance of a 2021 mac mini and well, that goes about as well as you'd expect

Well they both have no games, sooo :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This is a weird one I’m hoping someone here can help me figure out.

The twitch app on my iPad never plays ads. I don’t have turbo or subs, just for some reason the ads never run. I’d like to replicate this on my iPhone where they always play and play immediately on opening a stream. I can even do it side by side on both devices on the same account. iPhone gets an ad, iPad never does. The only adblocker I have on both is Crystal for Safari, but updated to the current version.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea but congratulations on your magical ad free iPad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I had that happen on my apple tv for about a year or so, then they just popped back up again one day. I assume it was some kind of complication with the app, the os, and the device that was eventually resolved. It was pretty nice.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Anyone with the new blue Air that wants to give a trip report? I’ve seen a couple of posts on Reddit this morning about how the Air 5’s back plate seems really flimsy compared to the Air 4 (they also seemed to all be talking about having the blue one, not sure if that was relevant or just coincidence).

I’ve been planning on getting a blue Air when it’s available on my country next weekend, and while I was planning on getting a case for it anyways, I’m wondering if I might have to get something sturdier than I would have to compensate

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

beuges posted:

Anyone with the new blue Air that wants to give a trip report? I’ve seen a couple of posts on Reddit this morning about how the Air 5’s back plate seems really flimsy compared to the Air 4 (they also seemed to all be talking about having the blue one, not sure if that was relevant or just coincidence).

I’ve been planning on getting a blue Air when it’s available on my country next weekend, and while I was planning on getting a case for it anyways, I’m wondering if I might have to get something sturdier than I would have to compensate

I got the blue Air and I have absolutely no idea what people on Reddit are talking about with the back.

It’s fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The same people in that Reddit thread are also complaining of “serious build quality issues with the new 14” and 16” MBP” so they all just sound insane to me?

Looking forward to the 30 articles written about that one Reddit thread that will come out on Monday.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 19, 2022

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
That’s good news indeed, thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My son got the blue air yesterday and ifs gorgeous.

Tripped him out that the volume buttons were reversed but other than that it's great.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm still doing pre-purchase research before buying the iPad (maybe new iPad Air since it has the M1 chip now?)

As tempting as it is to stick with the base iPad, I wonder if getting the M1 means I would have longer support for major iOS updates and have lasting power for when the base software bloats and becomes more resource intensive over time. I know that's an iffy thing to bet for in PC gaming, does the same anti-future proofing rule apply here as well?

Also multiple youtubers and tech people keep bringing this theory up and I wonder if it has any credence: is iPadOS purposefully basic or "gimped" that way it doesnt cannibalize MacBook sales? My last iPad was the iPad Pro 9.7", and around that time iOS 11 added split screen. It doesnt *seem* like they added anything as groundbreaking as that for iPadOS since then? It seems like the processing power is there now. Is it because Apple still wants it to be a big phone device, or do they want to preserve their MacBoook line? I guess this is a really confusing way to ask if I should expect more productivity features for iPad OS in the future, or if I should just accept this is basically treated as a big phone.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

buglord posted:

I guess this is a really confusing way to ask if I should expect more productivity features for iPad OS in the future, or if I should just accept this is basically treated as a big phone.
Who knows but iPadOS has been holding back the iPad for a long time already. When the iPad Pro got the M1 chip a lot of people speculated that things were about to change but we’ve seen nothing yet. I remember when I moved from the original Air 2 to the iPad Pro. I loved the new design but also realised “this is just like before, only a bit faster” and I almost regretted buying it.

If you want peace of mind you should just look at the iPad as a big phone. If you need more, buy a MacBook.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The base iPad is priced such that I wouldn't cross-shop a Pro just for longevity.

The A13 is the iPhone 11 chip though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

buglord posted:

I'm still doing pre-purchase research before buying the iPad (maybe new iPad Air since it has the M1 chip now?)

As tempting as it is to stick with the base iPad, I wonder if getting the M1 means I would have longer support for major iOS updates and have lasting power for when the base software bloats and becomes more resource intensive over time. I know that's an iffy thing to bet for in PC gaming, does the same anti-future proofing rule apply here as well?

Also multiple youtubers and tech people keep bringing this theory up and I wonder if it has any credence: is iPadOS purposefully basic or "gimped" that way it doesnt cannibalize MacBook sales? My last iPad was the iPad Pro 9.7", and around that time iOS 11 added split screen. It doesnt *seem* like they added anything as groundbreaking as that for iPadOS since then? It seems like the processing power is there now. Is it because Apple still wants it to be a big phone device, or do they want to preserve their MacBoook line? I guess this is a really confusing way to ask if I should expect more productivity features for iPad OS in the future, or if I should just accept this is basically treated as a big phone.

iPad OShas a pretty long support life, even on entry level products. Don't buy more power than you need just for that. You could buy two regular iPads for the cost of one Air and double your longevity! Find out what you want to do with the device and buy to your needs. If your needs change and you need power just sell or trade-in what you have, Apple devices hold their value well.

iPad OS is "gimped" because the input methods are gimped. Out of the box there's no built in keyboard or precision mouse so the interface and workflow is built around using a single app at a time with just your finger. They expose more advanced functionality as you add more precision peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard but it's meant to be simple and easy to use by design. The iPad is the best computer Apple makes for people who hate computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TraderStav posted:

My son got the blue air yesterday and ifs gorgeous.

Tripped him out that the volume buttons were reversed but other than that it's great.

I believe there's a setting to disable that