Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Patch notes with undocumented changes are the lamest thing in the world. Or in other words:

Sab669 posted:

Also why do developers think "Other enemy and weapon balance changes" is an acceptable patch note??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

As far as I can tell yes. The actual frostbite damage is worse and it builds slower. Chilling Mist builds at the same pace but the frostbite proc is still not particularly strong.

Ahh, disappointing, but I guess this as good an opportunity as any to try out some other ashes, might go back to the spear of fire that gives migraines

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Patch notes with undocumented changes are the lamest thing in the world. Or in other words:

It's weird in this case, too, because they did document some balance changes with a reasonable amount of specificity. It really wouldn't have been hard to also add, for example, "Reduced damage and posture damage on Moonveil's weapon art" to the list. I can only guess they just have bad communication lines between the devs making the changes and whoever's writing the patch notes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

TeaJay posted:

Nerfing frostbite will be a huge hit on bosses. Very happy I was able to make it through the game a few days earlier - with hoarfrost and mimic being my go-to solutions for a lot of the latter 3rd of the games' bosses.

Some of the fights in the later parts are absolutely brutal for someone who is not that well versed in soulsborne games. I don't think it's such a bad thing to have a cheese/crutch to help those guys through the game too.

You just described me. I'm limping along already and the tools I've chosen in a vacuum don't really work anymore. I know some people can beat these games in their sleep. I'm not one of them.

If I could respec right now I'd probably feel a bit differently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SettingSun posted:

with FROM people are happy to get notes at all lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I already finished the game and probably won't do another playthrough for awhile but I'm kind of disappointed with the patch anyway since a friend of mine who doesn't enjoy repeating bosses over and over and having to grind to get really good was enjoying going through the game with Hoarfrost Stomp and will probably just quit playing at this point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Andrast posted:

with FROM people are happy to get notes at all lol

Yeah, for the new people - it used to be way worse.

Like literally no details at all.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

FishMcCool posted:

Never noticed it before so I presume that's new? NPCs now have markers showing them all over the map. Finger Reader Crones, Knight Bernahl, Merchant Kalé, Patches... That's pretty handy.

ahhh gently caress i'm going to have to clean up our map so much... I've been putting 4 markers on each of the NPC locations so I could find them easily, lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Foul Fowl posted:

just find something else OP and broken, just because they took the one thing that trivialised every fight in the game out of the game doesn't mean you have to play the game blindfolded on a banana controller.

in particular Nebula (WA on Wing of Astel and Bastard's Stars) and Gravity Bolt (WA on Fallingstar Beast Jaw) are completely untouched and still ludicrously strong, you just have to progress further into the game and/or beat specific bosses to get them compared to the stuff that was just laying around on the ground

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oh well. Guess Ill see how bad the hoarfrost changes are. If its really bad I'll just find something else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You can have two save files, right? I kind of want to start a STR/FTH character, but I also want to be able to go into NG+ on my new one.

Also, I do want to play more, I just don’t think there’s anything else to find enjoyment in now that I’ve (as far as I can tell) discovered like 95% of the map. :smith: Does anyone else get a weird, permanent distaste for a game once you’ve completed the majority of it? It was like this with Breath of the Wild once I found all 120 shrines.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finally beat Radahn, but I'm still not happy about it.

I'm running a melee build wielding colossal weapons and bashed my head against him a few dozen times. I tried doing drive-bys on horse while summons occupied him, getting off horse and getting in his face attempting to dodge his attacks, and a mix of both. His attacks just cover too much area and come too fast for a smooth-brain like me to handle it.

So I respecced to have the bare minimum stats to run Rotten Breath and 3-shot him on the first try. It feels stupid that there's this much disparity of effectiveness.

It felt kind of like when I beat Preceptor Miriam by stagger-locking her with throwing knives. Sure I won, but it feels dumb that it was the answer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

You can have two save files, right? I kind of want to start a STR/FTH character, but I also want to be able to go into NG+ on my new one.

You can have a bunch of save files, yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Also, I do want to play more, I just don’t think there’s anything else to find enjoyment in now that I’ve (as far as I can tell) discovered like 95% of the map. :smith: Does anyone else get a weird, permanent distaste for a game once you’ve completed the majority of it? It was like this with Breath of the Wild once I found all 120 shrines.

it's probably just burnout, if anything the game is more fun once you have all the random stupid poo poo scattered around the open world and can just play straight through the levels + bosses that they actually gave a poo poo about in NG+

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shame they actually went through with the pointless nerfs

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TeaJay posted:

Nerfing frostbite will be a huge hit on bosses. Very happy I was able to make it through the game a few days earlier - with hoarfrost and mimic being my go-to solutions for a lot of the latter 3rd of the games' bosses.

Some of the fights in the later parts are absolutely brutal for someone who is not that well versed in soulsborne games. I don't think it's such a bad thing to have a cheese/crutch to help those guys through the game too.

Same, glad I finished before they removed Easy Mode For Olds. Still gonna gently caress around in new game+ tho

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did they nerf Bloodhound fang? Will I have to find a solution to problems that isn't a two handed jump attack?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Most of the nerfs are extremely fair, even the one to my favorite weapon (Moonveil). Hoarfrost Stomp got over-nerfed, though.

Even Mimic Tear is still absolutely fine. It's not going to solo bosses for you anymore but it's still just as tanky as ever, and they seem to have actually made it a little smarter. It's just not head-and-shoulders above every other spirit option now. If you want a spirit ash that does a ton of damage, there are other good options for that.

stev posted:

Did they nerf Bloodhound fang? Will I have to find a solution to problems that isn't a two handed jump attack?

Nope.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

they're good actually

"waaa PvE modes don't need balance!" has always been a shortsighted complaint of people who don't actually understand game design

Biplane posted:

Same, glad I finished before they removed Easy Mode For Olds. Still gonna gently caress around in new game+ tho

they didn't remove spirit summons from the game and those do more to trivialize fights than any of the weapon arts they changed ever did. they just pretty clearly intend for spirit summons to be the "easy mode" button vs. WA spam

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I am kind of looking forward to doing another playthrough without crutches, though the length of the game is certainly daunting. I only started relying on Hoarfrost and Mimic like 40 hours in (out of 60) when I was kind of starting to feel the itch to move on to playing something else. I can only imagine how long the game will take "properly". Maybe I'll play Dark Souls 2 again since compared to Elden Ring it'll feel downright succinct.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh thank gently caress.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I almost never replay video games, or continue onto NG+ etc.

I do want to play a Non-Wizard, but yea I mean I've already seen so much. Maybe I'd find new side quests, but :shrug: Doubt anything would blow my mind. Probably just going to go back to only playing DOTA until another new game comes out :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else get a weird, permanent distaste for a game once you’ve completed the majority of it?

That's just called "finishing the game".

I'm playing some more on a new character now, but that's mostly just to explore sorceries because my previous character didn't bother with any of that nerd poo poo. Well who's the nerd now? Me. It's me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"waaa PvE modes don't need balance!" has always been a shortsighted complaint of people who don't actually understand game design

Agree to disagree friend :)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Did some testing with Night and Flame. The biggest thing I noticed was the laser's range got reduced substantially. I haven't fought a boss yet so I can't speak to the damage nerf, but I was killing my test mobs with it just fine.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they're good actually

This is idiotic pablum for people who prize "GamE DeSigN" over fun.

"Waaa people were having fun in PvE why don't they plaaaaay like meeeeeee?"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
NPC markers? Uhh I was told here this would compromise the game's ideals?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

It doesn't mark quest NPCs who move around and who you might need to track down after they move. It only marks NPCs with a "function," like merchants or spell trainers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

Also, I do want to play more, I just don’t think there’s anything else to find enjoyment in now that I’ve (as far as I can tell) discovered like 95% of the map. :smith: Does anyone else get a weird, permanent distaste for a game once you’ve completed the majority of it? It was like this with Breath of the Wild once I found all 120 shrines

That's me with most big games. Usually once I've exhausted the majority of NPC dialogue and side content the world suddenly feels empty and hollow. Like a world that you could interact with and reacted to you is suddenly just an empty sandbox. Thats usually when the illusion breaks for me and I can see the strings. It's sort of depressing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It's funny to watch people accuse others of not knowing good game design while defending mechanics that mean if you misstep for 0.1 seconds you get one-shot.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Sheet, the turtle shield got nerfed to 85% physical. I would have been fine at 95%, but that goes to far.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Levantine posted:

This is idiotic pablum for people who prize "GamE DeSigN" over fun.

"Waaa people were having fun in PvE why don't they plaaaaay like meeeeeee?"

well-designed games are fun. all they did was make the game more fun for people who want to approach the game as a question of strategy as well as tactics -- finding the right tool for the job, experimenting and gaining an advantage while still engaging with the mechanics -- while making it a little harder for the people who don't actually enjoy doing that and were looking for a "skip" button

if you were hoarfrost stomping your way through the game you were basically saying "i don't actually like souls combat and want to get it over as soon as possible" and your opinion on what's good or bad isn't, and indeed shouldn't be, a priority

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No Wave posted:

Nobody said that. The dumb debate from launch day was about having a full quest log.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think 99% of the people posting in this thread know anything about game design beyond knowing what they personally enjoy in a game (and people frankly often have a hard time articulating that), and I am 100% including myself in that. I don't know what is or isn't good design and neither do most of us.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

You can have two save files, right?

Lol. How do you not have at least half a dozen level 20 or so guys that you made besides your main? They are like forsaken children.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have never met an armchair dev that knows gently caress all about game design, which is why it is best to just tune it out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's weird in this case, too, because they did document some balance changes with a reasonable amount of specificity. It really wouldn't have been hard to also add, for example, "Reduced damage and posture damage on Moonveil's weapon art" to the list. I can only guess they just have bad communication lines between the devs making the changes and whoever's writing the patch notes.

it's very funny, like they decided after mentioning the big things everyone knows were like 'gently caress it, nobody cares about this other poo poo'. i weirdly love reading through patch notes to see all the minutiae

Underwhelmed posted:

Lol. How do you not have at least half a dozen level 20 or so guys that you made besides your main? They are like forsaken children.

I have never met an armchair dev that knows gently caress all about game design, which is why it is best to just tune it out.

yeah you can definitely have at least 4 since that's how many i got, i'm sure there's a limit somewhere but its definitely not 2

Floppychop posted:

I finally beat Radahn, but I'm still not happy about it.

I'm running a melee build wielding colossal weapons and bashed my head against him a few dozen times. I tried doing drive-bys on horse while summons occupied him, getting off horse and getting in his face attempting to dodge his attacks, and a mix of both. His attacks just cover too much area and come too fast for a smooth-brain like me to handle it.

So I respecced to have the bare minimum stats to run Rotten Breath and 3-shot him on the first try. It feels stupid that there's this much disparity of effectiveness.

It felt kind of like when I beat Preceptor Miriam by stagger-locking her with throwing knives. Sure I won, but it feels dumb that it was the answer.

the first time i killed miriam she climbed after me to the rafters and i kicked her off a ladder to death. the second time i flung rocks at her head until she got splatted

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 17, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If PvE modes don't need balance, why not simply assign all stats randomly on load.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

VictualSquid posted:

Sheet, the turtle shield got nerfed to 85% physical. I would have been fine at 95%, but that goes to far.

It's not that bad. 85% is still a ton of blocking.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

I don't think 99% of the people posting in this thread know anything about game design beyond knowing what they personally enjoy in a game (and people frankly often have a hard time articulating that), and I am 100% including myself in that. I don't know what is or isn't good design and neither do most of us.

I know exactly what good game design is. You know in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, there's that bonus level called Bopopolus where the entire stage is almost exclusively bouncing on enemies? That is good game design right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I know exactly what good game design is. You know in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, there's that bonus level called Bopopolus where the entire stage is almost exclusively bouncing on enemies? That is good game design right there

Hmm, hard to argue with that...