Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

No joke, the BB technology stack makes these dead forums look like an AWS data center.

I worked there for a bit and the most demoralizing moment was when a coworker dismissed the iPhone as a toy for kids. This was maybe 2 or 3 years after the iPhone came out, so it hadn't yet threatened their enterprise business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

I worked there for a bit and the most demoralizing moment was when a coworker dismissed the iPhone as a toy for kids. This was maybe 2 or 3 years after the iPhone came out, so it hadn't yet threatened their enterprise business.

had they released the Bold by that point, because that was a spectacular piece of e-waste

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’d still rock a Blackberry Curve with the full keyboard if I could but I’ve been too poisoned by the convenience of smart phones.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/RobZacny/status/1504445762930892802

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

your friend wicka posted:

Also the first Android unveiling was just a Blackberry clone, and then they saw the iPhone and went "whoops!" and copied it instead

sounds alot like f1

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think we can at least confirm that a Mercedes power train will not prevent COVID.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
They should have a pool of reserve drivers that the teams can use when everyone gets COVID but it's a random selection from the pool. You might get Pastor Maldonado you might get Nico Rosberg.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They should have a pool of reserve drivers that the teams can use when everyone gets COVID but it's a random selection from the pool. You might get Pastor Maldonado you might get Nico Rosberg.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the pool should be formula E

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EngineerJoe posted:

The clearest sign for me that RIM weren't interested in putting up any sort of fight was when they released the Storm and took Wi-Fi out of it because Verizon wanted to sell bigger data plans.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The clearest sign for me that RIM weren't interested in putting up any sort of fight was when they released the Storm and took Wi-Fi out of it because Verizon wanted to sell bigger data plans.

lmao

look up hubris in the dictionary and it's just the BB logo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The internet is a fad.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Seems pretty fitting that the Hulk will be driving a bright green car eh?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thanks Ants posted:

When the Storm was coming out my whole department got to choose between getting a Storm or Bold device. I chose Bold, but many true believers chose the Storm. It was such a piece of trash that a bunch of my coworkers scrambled to change their order to Bold after they got it. (They weren't able to).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's honestly wild to me that RIM were so laughably incompetent that they just straight up abandoned the industry they once dominated. They couldn't even pivot to being a mediocre Android OEM or something.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

It's honestly wild to me that RIM were so laughably incompetent that they just straight up abandoned the industry they once dominated. They couldn't even pivot to being a mediocre Android OEM or something.

Better to burn out than fade away, a great man once said.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

They tried that for a bit but it was way too little way too late.

Some company just bought their patent portfolio for $600 million United States Earth dollars, presumably to go chase that patent infringement cash

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonytrippe/2022/02/03/blackberry-saves-its-rainy-day-with-a-600-million-patent-sale/?sh=d6b42e24634d

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's honestly really hard to pivot, revenue was still growing at over 100% a year for years after the iPhone came out. As for Android, I don't know the details, but I recall that the deal Google wanted for access to Google Play Services would basically kill BlackBerry as a platform. It was totally unacceptable at the time (hindsight is 20:20).

The bigger miss was not opening up BlackBerry Messenger years earlier.

F1 related content:

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

this season's new opening title has dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VCm-YxrKQ

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are George looking excellent in the Merc colours

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dictator. posted:

no surprise
infections are through the roof amongst us common people as well. luckily all omicron which doesn't do much.

GP2 variant

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Canadian Tech always just completely loving implodes, look at Nortel.

Blackberry is a great corporate example of executives and management not really understanding the game they are playing or why they are winning/lossing at it. Its amazing how long a company can limp along on sheer momentum.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

italian quid posted:

Blackberry is a great corporate example of executives and management not really understanding the game they are playing or why they are winning/lossing at it. Its amazing how long a company can limp along on sheer momentum.

Headquartering in a place called Waterloo is just tempting fate imho

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Harry Lime posted:

verstappen looks so dopey hahaha

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Headquartering in a place called Waterloo is just tempting fate imho

Waterloo unironically is the place Canadian companies put headquarters when they're too cheap to shell out for Toronto office space lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Lewis looking very stylish

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

It's honestly really hard to pivot, revenue was still growing at over 100% a year for years after the iPhone came out. As for Android, I don't know the details, but I recall that the deal Google wanted for access to Google Play Services would basically kill BlackBerry as a platform. It was totally unacceptable at the time (hindsight is 20:20).

The bigger miss was not opening up BlackBerry Messenger years earlier.

To that point, though:

italian quid posted:

A competent company looks at the fundamentals of their business as opposed to just seeing revenue continuing to grow and assuming everything is fine. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason their revenue continued to grow for so long was because they utterly dominated the enterprise space, but if you paid attention to the growth of the iPhone and Android in the consumer market, it would've been obvious that dominance was unsustainable. Eventually the people who were used to using iPhones and Androids as their personal phones would want those as their work device as well.

Also, McLaren is the best

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao just remembered that BB made a tablet (Playbook), ostensibly a device aimed at professionals, without native apps for email, calendar, or contacts

just rofl, loving clownshow, should just be Haas sponsor.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/ethan_lavery/status/1504462786734305284?s=21

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To that point, though:

A competent company looks at the fundamentals of their business as opposed to just seeing revenue continuing to grow and assuming everything is fine. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason their revenue continued to grow for so long was because they utterly dominated the enterprise space, but if you paid attention to the growth of the iPhone and Android in the consumer market, it would've been obvious that dominance was unsustainable. Eventually the people who were used to using iPhones and Androids as their personal phones would want those as their work device as well.

My uncle, in his infinite wisdom, told me about a year after the iPhone came out that it was a dead end and Blackberry was the future because "Who wants to send an email without a keyboard"

I talk to people today about EVs and I get very similar vibes when they say it will never take off because you can't drive 16 hours straight to loving Myrtle Beach or whatever. They're kinda missing that its like stupidly cheaper for the manufacturers to make EVs over ICE cars and nobody actually wants to drive 16 hours to myrtle beach.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Carrier posted:

verstappen looks so dopey hahaha

It's nice that they put up how many WDCs he'll win in his career though.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Harry Lime posted:

did vettel get plugs like poois larbustier? this time last year he was bald

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

italian quid posted:

They're kinda missing that its like stupidly cheaper for the manufacturers to make EVs over ICE cars

too bad EVs are still super expensive to buy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

My uncle, in his infinite wisdom, told me about a year after the iPhone came out that it was a dead end and Blackberry was the future because "Who wants to send an email without a keyboard"

I talk to people today about EVs and I get very similar vibes when they say it will never take off because you can't drive 16 hours straight to loving Myrtle Beach or whatever. They're kinda missing that its like stupidly cheaper for the manufacturers to make EVs over ICE cars and nobody actually wants to drive 16 hours to myrtle beach.

I kind of agree about EVs, only in the sense that the market at present would require me to like drive 10 minutes off the interstate every three hours to find the right charger type for my car and then sit there for 30 minutes while it charges. But that seems like a pretty easily solvable problem once EVs are widespread enough to justify more charging stations, and when people stop sucking Musk's dick long enough to roll out a standard charger. And we should just build loving trains instead of driving 16 hours, smdh.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Incredibly powerful. Incredibly blessed. :lewis:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dictator. posted:

too bad EVs are still super expensive to buy

That's because nobody really is up and running at scale yet other than Tesla who are basically competitive because of EVs in spite of the company being run like a pig.

VW's CEO said that it takes them 30 man hours to make an ICE car, 20 to make an EV and he thinks the EV will go down to 10 in the long term. Once VW and GM are running at scale everyone else is going to poo poo their pants and follow suit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I kind of agree about EVs, only in the sense that the market at present would require me to like drive 10 minutes off the interstate every three hours to find the right charger type for my car and then sit there for 30 minutes while it charges. But that seems like a pretty easily solvable problem once EVs are widespread enough to justify more charging stations, and when people stop sucking Musk's dick long enough to roll out a standard charger. And we should just build loving trains instead of driving 16 hours, smdh.

Musk is making a lot of really stupid decisions like trying to go it alone on charging and refusing to put lidar in his cars that make sense right now but I suspect are going to terminally gently caress him 5 years down the road when everyone starts rolling out their second generation EVs with all that stuff more tightly integrated.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I really hope Lewis' tattoo below is neck says Beyonce.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Hope so. Just bought an ICE, but my next car will probably be electric. Infrastructure over here is pretty good already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

italian quid posted:

Musk is making a lot of really stupid decisions like trying to go it alone on charging and refusing to put lidar in his cars that make sense right now but I suspect are going to terminally gently caress him 5 years down the road when everyone starts rolling out their second generation EVs with all that stuff more tightly integrated.

what, you don't want to spend $100k+ on a car with the build quality of an early 2000's Chevy econobox?