Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dwesa posted:

It's interesting how many of these European Russian-sympathizers are currently preaching peace (often omitting who started this war) and, most importantly, are against weapons being delivered to Ukraine (in the name of peace, of course).

yeah. while i think some of it is in genuin good faith(ww2 is in living memory and everyone suffered plus nukes/etc) but i do think alot of them are just pissed about the money train imploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. while i think some of it is in genuin good faith(ww2 is in living memory and everyone suffered plus nukes/etc) but i do think alot of them are just pissed about the money train imploding.

Some are genuinely naive, be it for electricity generation, military, import/exports or foreign relations topics. They lived in a peacetime bubble and never had to face the fact that other powers would happily raze their country for a penny or even as sport. It's going to helpfully remove a number of useful idiots from debates.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

KitConstantine posted:

In other news Turkey felt left out of the trip to Kyiv and sent their foreign minister there

I would just like to mention that our little independent media that we have left, asked Orban's office the other day if he is also going to visit Kyiv like leaders of other countries.
The official response was "He knows about the visit, but he is not going to Kyiv this time."

But today Viktor Viktorovich did get up and announced he will MOVE to the Ukrainian border for 3 days. Made sure to post videos of it everywhere... except in the videos he is visiting the Hungarian-Romanian border saying "refugees also come through here"
Spent some time with the Hungarian military as well! (I like how his drink is upside down.)

Yes he has his own logo. Move along.

Apparently this was last night, on the Hungarian-Romanian border.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 17, 2022

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

SlowBloke posted:

They are not going to start doing a "let's deliver" "let's not" "let's deliver" loop with the s300 too i hope

It sounded like they're playing the "US would love to get s300's in Ukraine's hands, Slovakia has them, and that's a shorter trip than us sending them directly, but Slovakia won't send them until we give them replacements so *shrug* what can you do" game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Bundesinnenministerium created a website for people fleeing the war: https://www.germany4ukraine.de

Might be interesting to people who aren't currently fleeing as well, it has an English translation and goes over a lot of the legal stuff that is the same (EU wide) or very similar in neighbouring countries.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The longer this goes on the more it becomes apparant that this is just a big suicide note that Russia is writing itself while Putin repeatedly shoots his country in the face. Good grief.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Wylie posted:

It sounded like they're playing the "US would love to get s300's in Ukraine's hands, Slovakia has them, and that's a shorter trip than us sending them directly, but Slovakia won't send them until we give them replacements so *shrug* what can you do" game.
Slovak S-300s are to be replaced by Patriot systems from Germany or Netherlands in coming days

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If you're weary of videos of poo poo getting blowed up this is better
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1504041720287318018?cxt=HHwWhMC-kbr-tt8pAAAA

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
Looks like at least some Americans are sticking around to fight.

https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1504445754148069378?s=20&t=4ZgEcpC-fgO_AWsM1c1GTw

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

the popes toes posted:

If you're weary of videos of poo poo getting blowed up this is better
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1504041720287318018?cxt=HHwWhMC-kbr-tt8pAAAA

Okean Elzy and 5Nizza have gotten a lot of play in our house over the past month. This is cool, thanks for posting it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure about that. Germany did unspeakable things to most of Europe under Hitler, but still managed to reconcile and build trust relatively quickly after the war. The difference is that Germany actually tried while post-Soviet Russia displayed mostly arrogant and self-righteous loathing for the victims of the occupation.

Europe saw five years of war and terror under the Nazis before Hitler killed himself as an utter failure, then his whole nation was torn down and rebuilt under Allied occupation The Soviets occupied and reshaped Eastern Europe for decades, before and after Stalin died fat and happy with his surviving victims still living in terror. Whole generations grew up and grew old under Russian control, even if any given year was a lot less brutal than one under the Nazis. I think that would have cast a long shadow no matter what post-Soviet Russia did.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tomn posted:

I can't recall where I saw it, here or in one of the other threads about the war, but I think there was some confusion of terms that was brought up - the conversation was about how many major generals Russia was losing and how there wouldn't be many major generals in a US army (that's where the ~20 odd figure came up), but the thing is apparently Russia uses "major general" as the lowest general rank, equivalent to the US brigadier general and thus there's more of them - ~60 something, I think? Unknown how many higher ranks they have above that.

Isn’t a “major general” a person with the rank of “major” but high on the major totem poll? I don’t know poo poo about military ranks but it’s like how an attorney general in the US is not in fact a general but is an attorney.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

That tank video is brutal, it's on reddit of you are curious. Don't be, unless you want to realize that those rag doll physics you see in video games are applicable to humans (and pieces of them) in real life.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn’t a “major general” a person with the rank of “major” but high on the major totem poll? I don’t know poo poo about military ranks but it’s like how an attorney general in the US is not in fact a general but is an attorney.

no, major generals are generals.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Boris Galerkin posted:

No, a Major General is an actual general. Above a Brigadier General, below a Lieutenant General

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

American General ranks are Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, and General in order

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Russia has a slightly different system than the US, but a major general is still a general, even if their major general is equivalent to a US brigadier general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Russian_Federation

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Boris Galerkin posted:

uh

no

There is no "major totem pole."

You may be thinking of "sergeant major," which is essentially a senior sergeant.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tomn posted:

uh

no

You may be thinking of "sergeant major," which is essentially a senior sergeant.

What about a major major major

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

ranbo das posted:

That tank video is brutal, it's on reddit of you are curious. Don't be, unless you want to realize that those rag doll physics you see in video games are applicable to humans (and pieces of them) in real life.
:nms: literally raining body parts

I do have to imagine that if stuff like this gets shared in the Russian army, there will be even less of a will to take tanks into urban areas, and we'll see more artillery/rockets fired from a comfortable distance to wind up with:

USA Today article from this morning posted:

But Vadim Denisenko, an adviser to the Ukraine minister of Internal Affairs, said 90% of Mariupol city has been destroyed or damaged and that almost no buildings have been left untouched.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

A deepfaked surrender message is now circulating so expect some dumb takes to pop back up.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/03/16/deepfake-zelenskyy-surrender-video-is-the-first-intentionally-used-in-ukraine-war

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Tiny Timbs posted:

American General ranks are Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, and General in order

We were taught Be My Little General to help us remember this in USMC boot camp.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dwesa posted:

Slovak S-300s are to be replaced by Patriot systems from Germany or Netherlands in coming days

I think Italy and France planned to replace part of their mbda aster 15/30 systems with bae camm-er so maybe they will donate the current stocks to slovakia as "good will"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tomn posted:

uh

no

So a major general is a general, but a sergeant major is a sergeant. Not confusing at all.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Spent some time with the Hungarian military as well! (I like how his drink is upside down.)
It looks like he's eating in a high school cafeteria (although to be fair, his meal looks better than your average American public school).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Boris Galerkin posted:

So a major general is a general, but a sergeant major is a sergeant. Not confusing at all.

And a major is a major, yes.

Look, I don't make the rules, I'm just telling you how it is.

Also just plain "lieutenant" is the lowest officer rank.
vvvv

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's also Lieutenant Colonel and Lieutenant General, just to confuse things. Lieutenant Colonel is a mini-Colonel, but Lieutenant General is better than a Major General.

And all of this is irrelevant because the Russians have their own naming system.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It wouldn't be military if you weren't made to memorise a bunch of pointless bullshit no normal person should care about

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The old French system was so much better. A leader of a battalion was a general de bataillon. A leader of a brigade was a general de brigade. A leader of a division was a general de division. It made way too much sense to be picked up by other armies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
doubble post

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Blindeye posted:

People rarely focus on just how thorough the Soviet Union attempted to russify Eastern Europe and commit a fairly aggressive cultural genocide. From what I've read the Baltic states were some of the most comfortable places to live in the Soviet Union (grading on a curve here because they still sucked), but they had done mass deportations of native Baltic people's and replace them with as many Russians as they could put there, banned all cultural celebrations and use of the language.

This is the kind of psychic damage that would make reconciliation almost impossible without generations of cooperation.

As with all things in USSR, Russification as policy shifted back and forth every decade. For the first ten years of the USSR Russian couldn't be taught in Ukrainian school. A lot of of the direct Russification of the Baltic happened during the Russian Empire, and in the mid 1950s bilingualism was essentially mandated for communist party officials in the Baltic. But there was constant "functional" russification, as speaking Russian was essentially necessary if you wanted to do anything. This is something that was a factor even during korenizatsiya, parents would beg local officials to allow their kids to learn Russian in school as learning the local language would get them nowhere in life.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
And Major Generals have information vegetable, animal and mineral whereas simple majors have to make do with at best two out of three

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1504399151961976839?s=20&t=hhmdIig-J9VASVpYlthaxA

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

to push back on this a bit, the USMC has a harrowing induction process - and had a much worse one in the 1940s - partially to weed out people who are likely to break in combat. like if you can't get through a bunch of drill instructors bullying you horribly for a few months you'll definitely fall to pieces in a firefight...
This is an excellent point.

War Stocks: It's interesting how NATO is going to end up sending all of its legacy Warsaw Pact equipment to edit: Poland Ukraine and then backfill it with all of the West's latest and greatest. We're going to end up with a much better armed NATO, even if we don't end up with a bigger one. S-300s are good, but Patriots are better. RPG-7s are good; Panzerfaust 3s are better. Etc.

Do any former Warsaw Pact nations still use T-64s/T-72s/BMPs/etc.? Now might be the time to upgrade mechanized kit too.

Boris Galerkin posted:

No. It's usually the first or second rank of general. "General" in the military sense usually denotes an officer without a branch: i.e. infantry or artillery or logistics or what-not. A long time ago captains led armies, and the lead captain was the "Captain General". Their assistant was a "Lieutenant General". Logistics were handled by Sergeants, and senior sergeants were "Sergeants Major". The chief logistics sergeant of an army was "Sergeant Major General". At some point (maybe when the role transitioned to professional officers and not senior enlisted?) the "Sergeant" was dropped, so we have a "Major General" subordinate to a "Lieutenant General" even though at lower officer ranks Lieutenants are subordinate to Captains are subordinate to Majors.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 17, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

This is an excellent point.

War Stocks: It's interesting how NATO is going to end up sending all of its legacy Warsaw Pact equipment to Poland and then backfill it with all of the West's latest and greatest. We're going to end up with a much better armed NATO, even if we don't end up with a bigger one. S-300s are good, but Patriots are better. RPG-7s are good; Panzerfaust 3s are better. Etc.

Do any former Warsaw Pact nations still use T-64s/T-72s/BMPs/etc.? Now might be the time to upgrade mechanized kit too.

No. It's usually the first or second rank of general. "General" in the military sense usually denotes an officer without a branch: i.e. infantry or artillery or logistics or what-not. A long time ago captains led armies, and the lead captain was the "Captain General". Their assistant was a "Lieutenant General". Logistics were handled by Sergeants, and senior sergeants were "Sergeants Major". The chief logistics sergeant of an army was "Sergeant Major General". At some point (maybe when the role transitioned to professional officers and not senior enlisted?) the "Sergeant" was dropped, so we have a "Major General" subordinate to a "Lieutenant General" even though at lower officer ranks Lieutenants are subordinate to Captains are subordinate to Majors.

Just to add on, the term lieutenant meant an officer who was leading in place of another officer who was assigned to that formation. The officer was in lieu of the tenant.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cimber posted:

Just to add on, the term lieutenant meant an officer who was leading in place of another officer who was assigned to that formation. The officer was in lieu of the tenant.

Okay, but why do British people put an f in the word?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fighting a war for the ‘gram.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure about that. Germany did unspeakable things to most of Europe under Hitler, but still managed to reconcile and build trust relatively quickly after the war. The difference is that Germany actually tried while post-Soviet Russia displayed mostly arrogant and self-righteous loathing for the victims of the occupation.

I mean, Germany kind of had to. The country had been partitioned, forcibly demilitarized, and generally used as proxies for the two big hostile empires during the period.

I'm imagining hryvnia signs appearing in their eyes with a nice "cha-ching!" sound effect.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cimber posted:

Interestingly, the Germans in WW2 made sure that recruits were placed in companies comprised of soldiers from the same geographic area, and they would be placed into that unit only when it was rotated off the line to allow replacements to integrate with their platoons before they went back to the front.

The US had a similar policy during the Civil War, but soon realized that it caused massive civilian morale issues because if a unit got hit bad then suddenly some little town in Ohio lost an entire generation of sons. Mixing up the recruits geographically means that losses get spread around a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kaal posted:

The US had a similar policy during the Civil War, but soon realized that it caused massive civilian morale issues because if a unit got hit bad then suddenly some little town in Ohio lost an entire generation of sons. Mixing up the recruits geographically means that losses get spread around a lot more.

And then Britain did the exact same loving thing in WW1.