Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To the poster who was asking about it earlier, here's my lil raptor pet soloing a Slitherfang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxQ149qW7QA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Let’s see an Apex Slaughterspine now :getin:

(Is that on VH? I always feel my raptors are TERRIBLE at actually attacking poo poo but it might just be a them dealing with multiple enemies since I was clearing outposts in the last few days. )

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Eggnogium posted:

Sad they didn’t fix the rebel camp that my progress is stuck on. Really hoping they get to it before I finish all the others.

Which one are you stuck on? They fixed one a few patches back.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One of my salvager contracts still shows as incomplete (even though I’ve done the entire salvager line since it shows as completed on the main quest)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Seedge posted:

Which one are you stuck on? They fixed one a few patches back.

The Hive (have to destroy weapon and ammo crates, I already did but quest won’t complete). Plenty of Reddit threads about it but no one with a solution.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I got the PS4 physical version as I'm currently playing on a PS4, however I'm considering trying for a PS5 today. If I did the upgrade to the PS5 version, would it have to be using the disc, or could I turn it digital?

Ie would I need the disced edition

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let’s see an Apex Slaughterspine now :getin:

(Is that on VH? I always feel my raptors are TERRIBLE at actually attacking poo poo but it might just be a them dealing with multiple enemies since I was clearing outposts in the last few days. )

Yes, I'm playing on VH. One thing you always have to do with the perma-raptor pet is set it to Aggressive, even if he sometimes annoyingly aggros a machine pack 10 miles away. If you don't, then he'll get Mount AI and almost never attack anything.

Here's another fun thing you can try, if somewhat gimmicky and expensive:

1. Fully upgrade the Wings of the Ten blastsling and Nora Thunder Elite armor.
2. Mod the sling with 2x critical chance, 2x close-range damage, and 1x explosive damage.
3. Stroll right up to any elite machine and tap Rank 3 Ranged Master + Dodge Lob.
4. Kill literally anything in the game in two volleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV2k9fMiMDc

Main drawback here is that blast bombs are super expensive to craft and you're gonna blow 5-10 of them on every elite kill. Selling everything they drop pretty much lets you come out even though. And it's very satisfying to do.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I got the PS4 physical version as I'm currently playing on a PS4, however I'm considering trying for a PS5 today. If I did the upgrade to the PS5 version, would it have to be using the disc, or could I turn it digital?

Ie would I need the disced edition
If you have a PS4 disc, it will download a digital PS5 version when you put it in the PS5 (you might have to manually tell it to do this), but it'll still require the disc to run it.

If you're asking what happens if you separately buy the digital PS4 version, it'll give you an option to download either the PS4 or PS5 version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oh my god the end of the land gods quest line :3:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's a shame that the biggest score driving complaint about the game are cut scenes and dialogue being quite long. That's not a bug, it's a feature. It's a story-based action RPG. You play it, in part, if not a large part, for the cut scenes, and the banter, and the lore/world building. The fact that facial animations and voice acting quality are superior to most other games ever made is a central element of the game. Worst of all you can skip with the bottom left dialogue option 95% of the time if you want. I really just don't get the complaints.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
There are some very long info dumps in the base in particular. I kinda get it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

zakharov posted:

There are some very long info dumps in the base in particular. I kinda get it.

True but even that is skippable if you really want. I looked at the timing of cutscenes and they are shorter than some that appear in The Last of Us and other games.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I just wish you could skip line by line all of the time. I read much faster than they speak, so I get impatient to go on.

Are there legendary versions of each of the armor types? And is the sunwing post game?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are there legendary versions of each of the armor types? And is the sunwing post game?

There's like 6 legendary armor. One from a quest, 3 from arena, and 2 from a merchant later in the game. And for the sunwing its not postgame it's more like 75% into the story

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I really like the dialog in this game. I understand the complaints of it being kinda long winded but for me the details of the facial animations and body language keeps me engaged. There are lots of info dumps but the speakers always have some personality or angle on it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There's like 6 legendary armor. One from a quest, 3 from arena, and 2 from a merchant later in the game. And for the sunwing its not postgame it's more like 75% into the story

you get it in the penultimate quest so I'd say it's about 95% not 75% lol

I understand why they did it that way but it's kind of a bummer that you basically only get it for clean-up purposes, especially being someone who obsessively does a bunch of poo poo before I get to those points lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only question I have about the facial animation is about Aloy's smile. I have to imagine it was intentional it looks pained and forced most of the time?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I don't think Rost ever taught her how

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The smile she's seen the most in her life is the Happy Birthday message, right? The forced smile of a dad who knows he's not gonna get to see his family? It's consistent!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Something that struck me but shouldnt think to hard about and just suspend disbelief:

How come the sea-levels are so high in zero dawn world?
Has been a thousand years of post-glacial rebound, only major explanation i can see is a greenhouse earth scenario where there are no ice caps locking up water, but Frozen Wilds kind of speak against that scenario.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gaia wanted to erase the memory of Florida

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A fair trade imho.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

Fighting is definitely too easy in FW. You can easily run away and regroup and the damage machines too is pretty minimal if you get yourself in a bad spot.

It's just tedious and boring. Not sure why they thought the 3 second knockdown animation was something people want in a battle. Or the random things enemies can do things (like scream) that freeze you with no defense. I'd rather the enemies be smarter, do more damage, but allow the player to dodge/defend better. Right now it's just fire away on a bullet sponge, take a drink of water when you're in that knockdown animation and can't play, then go back to firing away until they knock you down again. No real strategy or effort involved. Every enemy is more or less the same.

I don't know why they got rid of that double jump dive. It at least gave you a cool defense that was fun to use.

what difficulty are you on? is my armor built wrong because i get 1-2 shot constantly on VH

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

exquisite tea posted:

To the poster who was asking about it earlier, here's my lil raptor pet soloing a Slitherfang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxQ149qW7QA

Is that with the uber machine bonus armor on?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yup, I’m wearing the fully upgraded Tenakth Tactician outfit there. No active valor surge though.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 17, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

exquisite tea posted:

Yup, I’m wearing the fully upgraded Tenakth Tactician outfit there.

Thanks! Gotta get me some of that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where do you get the Tenakth Tactician is it a legendary outfit?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Where do you get the Tenakth Tactician is it a legendary outfit?

Thornmarsh armor merchant, I believe. It’s like 2000 scrap and some slaughterspine parts, I think?

(And upgrading it takes a whole lot more)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Falukorv posted:

Has been a thousand years of post-glacial rebound, only major explanation i can see is a greenhouse earth scenario where there are no ice caps locking up water, but Frozen Wilds kind of speak against that scenario.

All the dead Horuses and human naval ships in the water are causing volume displacement?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CobiWann posted:

All the dead Horuses and human naval ships in the water are causing volume displacement?

They sank Australia

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Lol aloy is awkward as gently caress. She doesn't quite know how to smile naturally.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lobok posted:

The only question I have about the facial animation is about Aloy's smile. I have to imagine it was intentional it looks pained and forced most of the time?

Aloy's contained irritation at having to humor people's beliefs is the fuel that keeps her going.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Aloy has the worst facial expressions of all characters, its not even close. Sometimes it seems like they used the ones from HZD and only redid everyone else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

One thing you always have to do with the perma-raptor pet is set it to Aggressive, even if he sometimes annoyingly aggros a machine pack 10 miles away. If you don't, then he'll get Mount AI and almost never attack anything.

Is this true even if you use targeting arrows? I've also noticed that non-Aggressive machines suck at attacking, but wondered if the targeting arrows might be a way around that (because it's annoying having your mount constantly run around - even when there are no other machines around, he'll just constantly jump around when I dismount).

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If you save the 60 Second Glide for your last Trophy, you can actually pick your Platinum screenshot to be literally anywhere in the open world. I was pretty sick of my plat screenshots for other games being buried in a menu upgrading a left-handed fart redirector or some dumb minigame, so I wanted one that was pretty for HFW.

Technically spoilers in-frame so

:c00l:

I didn't know it was going to paste that dumb frame on the bottom, but still pretty good overall :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Falukorv posted:

Something that struck me but shouldnt think to hard about and just suspend disbelief:

A possible way to take it is the terraforming being a LONG ongoing process and they're "merely" at relative greenhouse-Earth conditions so far on their way to a goldilocks-zone climate. The biome collapsing being relatively easy to achieve, sustaining and getting it right is hard.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Honestly the rapidly changing microclimates all over the place are weirder. But it's a video game and the scale isn't even supposed to be realistic. Having a "water level" sort of zone around doesn't stick out to me too much in that context.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason it seems impossible to do this "Reap and Clear" melee challenge. I've tried like 20+ times and it never lets me do the final R1 + forward + hold-R2 (which I've tried in a bunch of different ways).

The initial combo is also extremely inconsistent. It just randomly doesn't work, even with identical timing.

edit: Oh you've gotta be loving kidding me. The instructions lie to you! You're not supposed to press R1 again after step 2.

edit2: Okay, beat that guy. Now I can do "The Enduring"

I was also pleased to find that apparently the machine overriding legendary armor and the stealth legendary armor can both be bought pretty easily.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 18, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Oh you've gotta be loving kidding me. The instructions lie to you! You're not supposed to press R1 again after step 2.

The game does a poo poo job actually spelling it out but yeah essentially the different combos can be chained together but it’s very opaque about what you can chain. The charged R1 is considered a R1 for combos purposes so it’s not an additional input.

Basically the fighting pit will show you three combos but will want you to do it as one combo and you’re meant to link the last hit with the first hit of the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The tooltip pop ups are good for one thing at least lol-- I think those told me that you could chain the combos. Still a loving pain in the rear end to do, and I really really wish you could actually melee machines past like burrowers...