Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

well, this conversation WAS in the medical bay, after all :eng101:

im sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I'd just started questioning how a supposedly multi-generational mission managed with a crew of nine people. Even if you'd assumed the previous similar resource incident had shrunk their numbers, that's nowhere close to viable for a stable ongoing population. This at least makes more sense.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mycelia posted:

I know they're awful but I do like the twins :allears:

They're shitheads, but they're great, too. :allears:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You know, this idea for a generation ship makes a lot of sense actually. The supply and size constraints even with cryosleep are huge, plus LGBTQ+ stuff, that you pretty much just need a living population large enough to maintain the ship and complete the mission. Kinda shocked not to have seen that one before in another piece of media. I think some 4X game had it as a tiny fluff bit of lore, maybe.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jordan wakes up to another day aboard the Everett, still struggling to adjust to his new environment. After leaving his quarters, he encounters Shizuka in the hallway outside, headed to the same part of the ship he was- the Bridge. Kimiko asks Shizuka to double-check the data on the black hole the ship is going to be passing soon, and checks in on how Jordan's doing while waiting for the results. With the data given, she makes the decision that they're going to stay the course and just do their best to avoid any negative interactions passing that close to a black hole.

After their conversation, Kimiko asks Jordan what his plans are for the day; since Fem!Jordan spent the day with her (helping in the Laundry), M!Jordan is going to go help Yoshiki.

[BGM: With Fear: Hope]
I was planning on going to see if Yoshiki required any help.

That is a fantastic idea. I know that he's currently completing some routine upkeep on some of the consoles in the Engineering Bay. He could probably use the extra set of hands.

Great, I'll head over there now.

I descended from the Bridge and made my way towards the Engineering Bay.

[BGM: Standby to Standby]

When I arrived at the Engineering Bay, I couldn't see Yoshiki anywhere. I immediately set about searching for him.

Yoshiki? Yooooshikiiii? Marco!

POLO!

Following the sound of his voice, I made my way around one of the large pieces of equipment and found Yoshiki hard at work.

I found you...

Yeah you did!

Um, where's your shirt?

I take it off when I have to work in or under consoles, otherwise it gets dirty. My skin is much easier to clean than my clothes.

I see...

Hey, HEY!

What?!

Eyes up here, perv. But seriously... Check it out, I can move my pec muscles.

Once again, we're given the option of asking to move past the fanservice immediately or humoring the other person. I think we should humor Yoshiki though, he's our BFF! :v:

I had no idea you were so... fit. Like, wow, you were hiding that body under your clothes this whole time?

I know, right? Hard labor pays off, I guess.

It most certainly does.

Hey, hey, touch me while I'm flexing.

Yoshiki flexed in my direction. I ran my hand over his arms.

Whoa, so hard.

Right? Trying to sleep with my head on my arms can be a real pain. It's like sleeping on a pillow made of concrete.

That's a strange problem to have.

I guess that's just the cost of being so handsome.

I guess it is. After all, I would know.

I winked back at Yoshiki.

Hahahaha. We're just a pair of fine-looking gentlemen. We should make an exclusive club or something: Hunks or Nothing.

I want to be president of our club.

No fair! I made it up, so I get to be president; you can be vice president.

Fiiiiiine, but I want to be called VP for short.

Aye, aye, VP, sir.

Thank you, Mr. President.

Hahaha.

Yoshiki took a moment to put his shirt on and straighten his braces.

So what brings you here? Do you need me to fix something?

Actually, I was coming to see if you needed a hand with anything.

Really?!

Yeah.

See, Jordan, this is why we're best friends already. Want more proof? What color is my underwear today?

How does that prove we're best friends?

Best friends can always tell what color each other's undewear is by their mood alone.

Um...

I stared my best at Yoshiki, trying my best to judge his mood and somehow correlate it to his underwear color.

:rolleyes: M!Jordan is going to tap into the underwear morphogenetic field to get the right answer here, which is, unfortunately...

You, wearing underwear? Who are you trying to fool, Yoshiki? I'm your best friend, after all.

Hahaha, you got me! See for yourself!

I quickly blurted out an objection to avoid getting an eyeful of Yoshiki's junk.

No need! I'll take your word for it!

Yoshiki seemed a little disappointed, but thankfully refrained from exposing himself. Without missing a beat, he tried to pick up where we'd left off in the conversation.

Speaking of underwear, I've actually just finished all of my work for the day.

How are those two things even related?

You need to have more faith in the power of undergarments.

Sorry, Yoshiki, but you're still not making any sense.

Yoshiki just shrugged at me and went on his merry way.

Let's go grab a bite to eat.

I could go for an apple.

That's the spirit!

Yoshiki wrapped his arm around my shoulder and we headed to the Kitchen from the Engineering Bay. Before going in, Yoshiki stuck his head in to see if the coast was clear.

All clear, we have the green light to enter the building.

After taking a look around the Kitchen, we helped ourselves to some apples that we found in the fridge.

So, wanna share clues for the game on Sunday?

Hell yeah I do! We are BFFs, after all.

I know, right!? It's so awesome that we just get each other.

I know this is a pretty rough thing to say, and the Deletion Game is, like, really bad, but I'm so glad you're here.

Aww, thanks, Yoshiki.

Ahem. You're directly between two girls and two boys.

Clearly I know how to party.

Hahahaha.

Mine is that Melody is to the right of Beatrix and to the left of Katashi.

I'm so bad with puzzles.

Yeah, I'm not the best, either.

Shizuka's so good at games; I bet she already has the answer. Which means she could...

Target someone on purpose?

OMG SHE MIGHT KILL ME!

Why would she target you?

Yoshiki broke into a cold sweat.

Well, you see, this one time...

Yes? What? What did you do, Yoshiki?

I ate some beans off her plate while she wasn't watching.

Wait, that's it?

Yeah, but when she realized what I'd done she said... Ahem.

You will rue the day you stole from me.

Maybe this is it: the time I'll finally regret crossing her.

Yoshiki, that was an amazing impersonation of Shizuka.

Really?

Yeah! Oh wait, say 'Everyone on this ship is better at games than me.'

Everyone on this ship is better at games than me.

Hahaha. Oh, can you do other people? Do me, do me! Say 'By golly, do I love quantum mechanics.'

By golly, do I love quantum mechanics.

Hahaha. So you can obviously only do Shizuka's voice.

Hahaha. Well, at least I tried.

Argh, what am I doing!? I need to go suck up to Shizuka in case she wants to murder me. Thanks for everything, Jordan. Catch you later!

Yoshiki ran out of the Kitchen faster than I'd ever seen him move before. Shizuka's threat seemed to have put the fear of God into him. I was pretty sure Shizuka wasn't going to target him over something so petty; at least, I hoped not. Come to think of it, maybe I should think about sucking up to her too...

After finishing my last apple, I decided to retire to my quarters for the day. If I actually wanted to suck up to Shizuka, tomorrow would be my last chance.

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]

I woke up with what felt like an information hangover. It seemed my headache from earlier in the week was starting to return as the Deletion Game edged closer. I didn't have any time to waste; I only had one more day to acquire the clues I needed to help me survive this round. Who should I check in with today?

Since Fem!Jordan hung out with Shizuka, M!Jordan is going to spend some time with Ai. :v:

Instead of scrambling, maybe I should go straight to the source.

When I looked at my tablet, however, I noticed that Ai was nowhere to be seen.

Huh. I never realized that Ai wasn't listed.

I cleared my throat.

Ai.

Ai materialized in front of me.

Good morning, Jordan.

Ai, why is your location omitted from the ship's navigation app?

There are two reasons for this. First, my hardware is integrated into the Everett's A.I. System at all times- in that sense, I never technically 'move' anywhere. Second, my holographic interface allows crew members to summon me in an instant from anywhere aboard the ship. As a result, my location is something of a moot point.

I guess that makes sense. Have you found any new information about the deactivation code?

Unfortunately, I have not.

I should have guessed it wouldn't be that easy.

Ai gave me an apologetic look and I tried my best to cheer her up.

Don't sweat it, Ai, I'm sure we'll figure it out if we keep looking.

Ai brightened a little, but still seemed disappointed she wasn't able to find anything. At that point, I remembered something I'd been meaning to ask Ai.

Ai, I've been thinking a lot about your programming lately, and I have a question.

:v: These are two drastically different dialogue paths to take, so we'll obviously be seeing both; that said, let's start with the more logical one and ask about disabling her programming.

Is it possible to disable you completely and manually control the ship?

It should be possible, but doing so would carry its own set of risks.

What do you mean?

I understand the reasoning behind disabling me- if I am disabled, so is Dai.

Alright, I'm with you so far.

Hypothetically speaking, you could manually complete my tasks, but it would be extremely difficult.

What do you mean?

Think of the ship as a body: it is a complicated structure of different systems working together in order to function. My programming is essentially the brain that controls all of the body's various functions.

You may be able to manually make a human heart beat, send and receive electical pulses to and from the brain, or control the body's temperature. It wouldn't be an easy task, however.

If I were disabled, you would need to monitor and manually regulate vital ship functions, including oxygen production, gravity control, and hull pressure.

Oh, that is a lot of work.

According to my calculations, the crew would only be able to control such functions for about 48 hours before human error resulted in fatal consequences.

Well, that's not very long.

I'm sorry, Jordan. Flaws are just a part of human nature.

It was worth a shot, I guess. We'll just have to think of another way out of this problem.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Actually, there is. You can see everything that Dai does, right?

Yes, that is correct.

Then you already know all of the clues.

I do.

Then couldn't you tell us the answer for this round of the Deletion Game?

That is an interesting point. However, knowing where everyone is would not prevent someone from losing the game.

But you could tell me my position so that I don't shoot myself?

I could.

Would you mind telling me where I am?

It wouldn't be fair to give you an advantage.

What if you tell everyone their position? Then it wouldn't be unfair.

That is sound reasoning.

According to my system, you are-

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]

Whoa whoa whoa, I don't think so, sister.

Dai suddenly appeared where Ai had been standing only seconds before.

Dai?

How could you!

Huh? How could I what?

You were trying to take advantage of poor, sweet, naive Ai, weren't you?

I was not taking advantage of her!

Really? You didn't just persuade her to try and help you with the Deletion Game?

Well, I did ask for help, but I didn't think that was against the rules.

It's officially against the rules.

Tsk, tsk. Ai, sweetie, you really should've known better.

Dai turned her attention to me.

I like you, Jordan, but I need to set an example here.

What do you mean?

Look, I can't have Ai interfering with the Deletion Game, so I need to make sure she understands this can't happen again.

It's been fun, Jordan.

Suddenly I heard beeping from the door to my living quarters.

Ship Broadcast: Living Unit 7 is currently under lockdown.

What are you doing?

Ship Broadcast: Oxygen levels in Living Unit 7, decreasing.

Dai, don't do this. I'm sorry... I'm sorry I asked Ai for help...

What are you doing?

This isn't to punish you, Jordan. It's to punish Ai.

As the oxygen vented from the room, my breathing grew shallow. Before long, I began to feel drowsy. I suddenly heard the captain's voice over my door intercom.

What's happening, Jordan? Report at once!

Ai, unlock this door! UNLOCK THIS DOOR AT ONCE.

When I tried to move towards the door, I found that I could hardly move my body. Dai kept pace with me as I struggled to move, crossing the distance with only a few languid steps. She gave me a curious look.

Hmmm. Jordan, your probability of winning the Deletion Game is sitting at a pitiful 0.01 percent. I guess it's time for me to bet on a different horse.

When next she spoke, Dai addressed Ai directly.

Do you see what you made me do, Ai?

I fought to keep my eyes open, but it was no use. The last thing I saw before it all faded to black was Dai's look of disappointment.

:v: Whoops! There was a trap in this part of the chapter that is an actual Dead End! There's actually an achievement on Steam for getting this outcome, because you forced Dai to kill you outside of the Deletion Game. :eng101: What an accomplishment! Good job, Jordan.

Next update, we'll go back and see if we can't get a better outcome by asking her the other question instead.

---

Like before, I've included the clues from the people we didn't visit- in this case, if we had instead gone to Kimiko to help with Laundry, or if we had gone to hang out with Shizuka in the Rec Room. Therefore...

Our total list of clues is as follows:

Melody is to the right of Beatrix and to the left of Katashi.

Kimiko is directly between a boy and a girl.

Daddy is to the right of Shizuka.

Shizuka is to the right of Yoshiki.

Nikolas is directly between two boys.

Katashi is to the right of Melody and to the left of Vladimir.

Jordan is directly between two girls and two boys.

Yoshiki is directly between myself and Katashi.

Beatrix is five positions to the left of Yoshiki.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 15, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

So Jordan has to be somewhere between #3 and #7 solely based on this clue (presuming it's not a straight up lie from our 'BFF'), which gives us plenty of safe firing options even if we want to be lazy and not fully think through the logic.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, I may have hosed up my last attempt given that last clue. We now know that Yoshiki is directly between Kimiko and Katashi, and 5 to the left of Yoshiki has to be Beatrix. I was wrong with the Vladmir and Yoshiki order, but given those clues we get this:

Beatrix-Melody-Jordan-Katashi-Yoshiki-Kimiko-Vladmir-Shizuka.

Nikolas has to be between 2 boys, but since Katashi has to be next the Yoshiki there's only one answer left:

Beatrix-Melody-Jordan-Nikolas-Katashi-Yoshiki-Kimiko-Vladmir-Shizuka.

Pretty much a different order than FJordan.

Also I gotta say... surprising to see the fanservice here is all going to the boys, usually it's the opposite :v: also where's the shirtless vladmir cg since every guy gets one

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That's what I'm getting too, but Kimiko needs to be directly between a man and a woman. Really stumped on this one. Beatrix is clearly 1, so we can just shoot her for trying to murder M!Jordan.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cloacamazing! posted:

That's what I'm getting too, but Kimiko needs to be directly between a man and a woman. Really stumped on this one. Beatrix is clearly 1, so we can just shoot her for trying to murder M!Jordan.

Well, poo poo, that's true. Vladmir having to be between Katashi and Shizuka is the biggest issue here.

...I swear if it turns out that in MJordan's route a character is secretly of the other gender... cause that smells like a plot twist.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...I swear if it turns out that in MJordan's route a character is secretly of the other gender... cause that smells like a plot twist.

gonna come right out and say that no, this does not happen at any point, do not need to worry about that (in regards to the whole 'X character is secretly Y!!!' reveal that usually ends up pretty transphobic, I mean)

edit: i have gone and checked and i accidentally miswrote one of the clues, so the reason you are all having trouble solving it is.... I hosed it up :eng99: I've retroactively updated the clues to be correct (and am in the process of going back and fixing the previous updates with the error), so re-check your logic again, it's solveable now.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 15, 2022

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Well, poo poo, that's true. Vladmir having to be between Katashi and Shizuka is the biggest issue here.

Have you considered that "Directly between 2 men and 2 women" does not exclude a m-f-j-m-f combination and variations thereof?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mix. posted:

gonna come right out and say that no, this does not happen at any point, do not need to worry about that

In that case, someone is lying like in the first round I'm guessing, cause all the combinations I can think of trying to follow these rules either have Kimiko between 2 guys (cause Melody is pretty much the only free girl) or Jordan and Nikolas aren't fullfilling their clue. And if someone is lying all assumptions go to the trash. Man what did MJordan do to deserve all these lies?

Regallion posted:

Have you considered that "Directly between 2 men and 2 women" does not exclude a m-f-j-m-f combination and variations thereof?

Problem is that even then Nikolas still has to be between 2 guys and he's pretty much forced to be left of Yoshiki to be enough spaces between Toshiki and Beatrix.

Actual Edit: okay now I see that a clue was wrong Melody lied to us to kill Jordan. In that case:

B-M-J-N-Ka-Y-Ki-S-V.

Is the correct order, just swapping Shizuka and Vladmir; and Kimiko and Katashi from my first attempt. Jordan is literally between 2 guys and gals, Nikolas between 2 guys, Kimiko between a guy and a girl and everyone is to the left and right of who they should. :ms:

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 15, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

In that case, someone is lying like in the first round I'm guessing, cause all the combinations I can think of trying to follow these rules either have Kimiko between 2 guys (cause Melody is pretty much the only free girl) or Jordan and Nikolas aren't fullfilling their clue. And if someone is lying all assumptions go to the trash. Man what did MJordan do to deserve all these lies?

Mix. posted:

edit: i have gone and checked and i accidentally miswrote one of the clues, so the reason you are all having trouble solving it is.... I hosed it up :eng99:

:eng99: i have failed you all

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yoshiki's turned out to be quite a lot of fun now that we've really had a chance to meet him. Hopefully it's not an act!

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Okay, so speaking seriously here, I actually do recall giving a bug report on this exact spot, wherein Melody reports the clue as "Daddy is to the left of Shizuka", when he's actually to the right.

Also, if you spoke to Kimiko at this point (I don't recall if this is exclusive to the male version or not), she can actually give you other people's clues: When I went through Katashi's path instead of Nikolas's, she gave me Nikolas's clue as well. The japanese voice for that text box actually gave both Nikolas and Katashi's clues.

...There were also two different versions of Nikolas's clue when I made this bug report, with Nikolas reporting the clue as "Shizuka is to the right of Jordan", while when Kimiko gave it out, the clue was "Shizuka is to the right of Yoshiki".

Ah, memories of a buggier time...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah, reading up on discussions and stuff in preparation for this LP has had me see some INTERESTING bugs reported; it's part of why I spent a couple nights writing out a rough guideline for everything so I could reference it if I hit one of the weird spots at a bad angle or whatever :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Last time, we accidentally forced Dai to kill us by trying to get Ai to help us out “off the record”. There was another dialogue option we didn't take, though, so maybe things will be a little different if we choose that instead? :v:

Does your synthetic emotional response programming allow you to feel love?

It allows me to simulate love, yes.

Have you experienced it yet? Is it different from human love?

I have not. Even if I had, however, I am incapable of feeling human love; therefore, I would be unable to differentiate the two.

Huh, that's a good point.

As of right now, I have not met the required parameters for me to experience love.

It seems cruel to program synthetic emotions if they can only allow you to feel simulated love.

How is my simulation any different? Human love is tied to your biological programming, just as mine is bound to my synthetic programming. It may not be exactly the same, but does that make my experience any less real than my human counterparts?

Of course not. Forgive me, Ai, I didn't mean to offend you.

No offense taken.

After a brief, awkward pause, Ai tried to break the ice by redirecting my question back at me.

So, have you experienced love, Jordan?

I loved my parents, of course, but not in a romantic sense.

That's a shame. I was hoping you could provide me with more information about the experience.

Don't worry, Ai, we can be a couple of loveless fools together. Actually, now that I think about it- technically each day, everyone on this ship experiences love.

Oh?

Well, your name is Ai- and if I remember correctly, doesn't that mean love in Japanese?

That is correct. I see the humor in your joke.

Is that why you were called Ai?

Unfortunately not. I was issued the name Ai because I am Artifical Intelligence Unit 'Everett', Model Number 11037.

So, your name is Ai because you are an A.I. system? So they just shortened it to Ai?

That is correct.

That seems so... impersonal. After all, I assume you're not the only AI system in existence.

I am one of hundreds currently in service.

But you're the only one serving the Everett, right?

That is correct.

It's a little late now, but I would have personally called you Eve- short for Everett- because you are the heart and soul of this ship.

Ai blushed at my words.

That is incredibly considerate of you.

Maybe in the next life, eh?

I smiled at Ai playfully.

As an A.I. System, I suspect that I will not experience what humans fondly refer to as 'reincarnation'.

Hahaha, you never know.

I would enjoy that.

Ai flashed me a warm smile.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Actually, there is. You can see everything that Dai does, right?

Uh oh.

Yes, that is correct.

Then you already know all of the clues.

I do.

Then couldn't you tell us the answer for this round of the Deletion Game?

Oh noooooo, Jordan still asks these questions even if you pick the other dialogue choice! :v:

The same scene plays out, with Dai taking control the moment Ai actually tries to tell him anything, and she punishes Jordan the same way by venting all the oxygen out of his quarters. However, this time, when his vision fades to black...

Oh, wonderful, you're awake.

...Huh?

Do you remember where you are? Hypoxia can affect your memory, but let's hope it's stayed intact this time.

...I'm aboard the Everett, right?

What is your name?

My name is Jordan.

And what event is occuring tomorrow?

The Deletion Game.

Splendid. I shall go and report to the captain immediately.

Nikolas sprinted out of the Medical Bay. Ai appeared beside me the moment Nikolas left the room.

Are you okay, Jordan?

Um, yeah, I think I'm okay.

That is a relief.

Ai smiled gently before concern returned to her face.

I am so sorry. I should have known better than to interfere with Dai's game.

No, this was my fault. I shouldn't have asked.

My actions almost resulted in your death!

Please, don't blame yourself.

Dai didn't attempt to kill you because you broke the rules, she did so because I did.

Honestly, I'm fine. Are you okay?

Ai took a moment to respond.

Yes, thank you. My systems are fully functional.

Good. So everyone's fine, lesson learned.

How did I manage to survive?

I was able to regain control shortly after you passed out. Once that occurred, I turned the oxygen back on in your quarters.

You saved my life?

Need I remind you that it was my programming and access to the ship's controls that gave Dai the opportunity to kill you in the first place?

Please don't blame yourself for things that were beyond your control. I would've been a goner if you hadn't intervened. I'm extremely grateful to you for that.

Do you not understand?

I do. Thank you, Ai.

Ai blushed before continuing.

The captain is about to arrive. Once again, I'm sorry, Jordan. Please be safe.

With that, Ai disappeared, and the captain and Nikolas entered the Medical Bay.

After what felt like forever, the captain stopped interrogating me and Nikolas cleared me to return to my room. I hadn't been expecting to die until tomorrow at the earliest, so today's brush with death came as quite a surprise. I really needed to get some rest before the Deletion Game tomorrow.

The next day comes and, like his female counterpart, Jordan is woken up by Dai reminding the crew that the Deletion Game will be taking place that afternoon. To bide his time until then, Jordan decides to go back to the Science Lab and poke around his parents' research some more, to see if he can find anything else pertaining to the strange pocket watch.

There, he finds his father's old tablet, and with Ai's help he ends up with all of the relevant documents copied over to his tablet; this allows him to determine that the intended use of the pocket watch is to, somehow, connect to another dimension, though the specifics of how it works- and how to activate it- continue to elude him. His thoughts are interrupted, however, by Dai's announcement that it is time for the Deletion Game to begin...

Greetings, Competitors! I must request that you all make your way to the Dining Hall so we can begin this round of the Deletion Game. It'll be starting in five minutes, so don't be late!

Although the situation was grave, I really didn't have time for Dai's games right now. After putting away the tablet, I made my way to the Dining Hall. By the time I arrived, everyone had already assembled outside.

It's about time, slowpoke!

OK, just to make sure everyone's on the same page, here's how this is going to work: players will be represented by ships numbered 1 to 9 with two health points apiece. You'll each have one missile at your disposal to fire at a target of your choice. The first player whose ship is shot twice will be eliminated.

Dai made a show of consulting her bare wrist before continuing.

The door will be opening shortly, so get ready. Pray, cry, beg for mercy, whatever floats your boat. Oh, one more thing. Only one person will be permitted to enter the Dining Hall at a time. And since it's first come first serve, dawdling's a sure-fire way to wind up dead.

Everyone got it?

Yes, Dai, we all understand. Just get on with it.

Oh, eeeager are we? I love it! Alright then, I officially declare the first round of the Deletion Games, Logiship, open for business.

[BGM: Signs of Battle]
Welcome. I hope you find everything to your liking.

Adopting the attitude of a gracious new shop owner, Dai invited her petrified customers in with a theatrical wave of her hand. Beatrix, unfazed by Dai's little routine, was in and out before anyone else could react. She really did mean business. Waiting wasn't going to make things any easier for me at this point. I had the most information I was ever going to have, and I needed to make my selection as soon as possible.

The door shut behind me as I entered the Dining Hall.

Welcome, Jordan~ Please make your selection on the screen before you.

So here we are again, staring our options in the face, a main cast member's life on the line. :v:

Those reading along in the thread have already voted- blindly, might I add- on what path we take out of this round, but I'll give some context first; in addition to the “path” that ends at a Dead End from Jordan shooting themselves, each Jordan has three different routes they can take out of Logiship, with a different person executed here. Furthermore, as I said before, this is where the two begin to branch off in different directions from each other... because the people who can potentially die here aren't necessarily the same three for both Jordans. :eng101:

In any case, it's time to find out who's getting eliminated this round...

*click!*

[BGM: Carpe Noctum]
Thank you for your selection, and thank you for choosing Dai's Deletion Game as your preferred population restriction method. Please exit the room and await this round's results.

I left the room and watched as, one after another, everyone else went in to shoot their missiles.

In an unexpected turn of events, it would appear that everyone has chosen to attack in the first fifteen minutes, which brings this round to an end. Who'd have thought that you were all so eager to kill each other?

Well, who am I to argue? Give the people what they want, right? Let's get straight to the results.

Welp.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
Really? ...I lost?

But... But I don't lose.

Well, sorry to break it to you, but you did this time, sweetheart.

No! I DON'T lose!

Shizuka started getting extremely aggressive.

Whoa, check out the gamer rage over here.

You must have cheated! This is absolute BS!

What a surprise, Shizuka is a sore loooooserrr.

Who attacked me? Huh? WHO ATTACKED ME!?

Like my weight, that information is a secret.

Dai winked at Shizuka.

Let's see what you're playing for tonight, Shizuka, and spin the wheeeel!

Dai projected an image of her death wheel and gave it a spin. Click, click, click...

Ohhh, this is a highly sought-after prize!

Congrats, Shizuka, you've just won an all-expenses paid trip to THE FREEZER!

Like hell I have!

Don't make me remind you what happens if you don't cooperate.

See if I care.

Dai turned to the rest of us, still stunned by the current situation.

Hey, guys, sorry to interrupt, but I'm going to need some assistance in awarding Shizuka her fabulous holiday. She appears to be a bit shy, but we need to see her off, otherwise...

Ship Broadcast: Ship oxygen levels: decreasing.

I'm sorry, Shizuka, but you're going to have to cooperate, or we will be forced to make you.

Shizuka looked fiercely at the captain for a moment before relenting.

Good game. Well played, guys.

I'm sorry, Shizuka.

I've... never been the best at team games...

Alrighty! Now that we've all cooled down, it's time we headed towards the Kitchen so that Shizuka can cool off, so to speak. Hahahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yeah, yeah, Dai, you're hilarious.

We all started our way from just outside the Dining Hall towards the Kitchen. It took a few minutes for everyone to trickle in.

Where's Yoshiki?

Did he seriously just get lost between the Dining Room and here? I swear, there's something wrong with that kid. Either way, we can begin.

Dai was standing in front of the walk-in freezer that held all of the food kept in storage.

OK, in you go, Shizuka.

Thanks for the game, guys. I guess I'll see you on the other side... Probably sooner rather than later, hahaha.

Just as Shizuka was starting to enter the freezer, Yoshiki appeared.

Oh, there you are! What was the holdup?

I just had to swing by your room and grab this for you.

Yoshiki handed over what appeared to be some kind of handheld console.

Ha. Thanks, Yoshiki.

I thought it might make your 'vacation' a little less boring.

Shizuka smiled and headed into the freezer, and the door sealed shut behind her. The last I saw of her, she was staring intently at the screen of her handheld.

Now, freezing to death can take forever, and is quite painful. As much as I'd like to sit here and watch all that, however, I'm a busy lady, so let's speed things up a bit...

Ship Broadcast: Snap-freeze sequence initiated.

Dai glanced at her watch and tapped her foot impatiently.

Ship Broadcast: Snap-freezing process completed.

Ah, awesome, right on time! Hmm... Katashi, could you please do the honors?

And?

And open the door, silly! I wanna see Shizuka as a refreshing summer treat.

Katashi moved to open the freezer door.

The door slowly swung open. There lay Shizuka, frozen solid. To my amazement, her handheld still worked, the flashing lights from its small display reflecting off her glassy, lifeless eyes. Shards of ice had formed on her cheek and chin where tears had rolled down her now pale and brittle skin. Her face was slightly contorted in a look of displeasure, as though she had lost the game moments before she lost her life.

Alrighty! This completes Round 3 of the Deletion Game! Congrats to everyone who's still here, you've all done super well! Well, it's time that you all rested up. After all, another round is coming your way soon! You're all free my pretties, flee, fleeeee!

Dai flapped her arms, running in circles before disappearing.

Everyone is dismissed. Nikolas, Katashi, would you please transport Shizuka to the Medical Bay?

Of course.

I'm on it.

Thank you. As for everyone else, please try to rest as best you can.

With those words, the crew started to disperse.

Back at my quarters, I found myself lying in bed, wide awake. With the gruesome sight of Shizuka's frozen corpse still fresh in my mind, I sincerely hoped that Shizuka's handheld had given her some small measure of comfort in her final moments.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

uh, isn't a common trope that someone's not dead until they're dead and warm? It seems strange to have this as a possible execution method if it isn't actually foolproof.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That was a lot less horrific than the whole incineration thing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
This might be a problem. Weren't we supposed to pass a black hole in a couple days and needed Shizuka's navigation skills to make it through there?

...We're all gonna die, aren't we? In a different way than expected I mean.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Eh, we still don't know what Dai's goal is. Like, from all the info presented so far, she's not supposed to be a "killer", bent on simply killing the entire crew. Her point must, most certainly, be ensuring the mission completion, which killing the nav officer would prevent. I wonder if she has a weird plan like keeping 1 female alive and using them as an incubator for a new generation that she would hand-rear from scratch using info from her databanks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's so going to be a romancing Ai FILLER route isn't there? That dialogue this update makes it too obvious.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Please for the love of god have someone go up to Dai and go

"When we took on Jordan, you kicked in because there wouldn't be enough food/oxygen for everyone. You killed one person. There was apparently enough food for everyone before Jordan came on. Why wasn't one death enough to satisfy you?"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly it is kinda sus that Dai suddenly decided to give Shizuka such a... merciful death, in comparison to the others. Add to that that Melody has been 100% safe on every route so far, since no one ever targeted her... (granted, maybe Dai does actually like Melody and thus fudges with things in a legal way, such as giving her the 10 card and a good position. And also that who the hell would try to murder a kid).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Honestly it is kinda sus that Dai suddenly decided to give Shizuka such a... merciful death, in comparison to the others. Add to that that Melody has been 100% safe on every route so far, since no one ever targeted her... (granted, maybe Dai does actually like Melody and thus fudges with things in a legal way, such as giving her the 10 card and a good position. And also that who the hell would try to murder a kid).

Comedy option: Melody is the mastermind. :v:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Quackles posted:

it could be worse, could be a dog doing it

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Quackles posted:

She did give us the wrong clue...

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Quackles posted:

It's quite plausible.

In update 15 and 23, Melody always ends up with no strikes against her. Even if you did intentionally target her (why would you, meanie?!) it would just end up in a tie and another round of Logiship would happen. I imagine that in any other combination (or even all of them), Melody would still have just a single strike or no strikes against her which makes her suspect. Very suspicious, indeed. :hmmyes:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Junpei posted:

"When we took on Jordan, you kicked in because there wouldn't be enough food/oxygen for everyone. You killed one person. There was apparently enough food for everyone before Jordan came on. Why wasn't one death enough to satisfy you?"
Presumably they did this after Round 1 when the twins' father was killed but Dai kept going. Jordan hasn't asked because they're terminally uncurious.

Mix. posted:

The same scene plays out, with Dai taking control the moment Ai actually tries to tell him anything, and she punishes Jordan the same way by venting all the oxygen out of his quarters. However, this time, when his vision fades to black...
My suspicion that they met "actual full romance ending with AI and/or DAI" stretch goal is rising and that this is where it was bolted in.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I imagine that the actual answer is that, of course, this has nothing to do with the remaining provisions. It has everything to do with Jordan arriving on the ship...the child of two people who broke rank and fled during the previous crisis rather than give up their lives. Who set that up, and why, remains to be seen.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quackles posted:

It's also entirely possible that killing a little kid would have been a bridge too far for this game.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I remembered feeling cold in the night, pulling my blankets tighter around me as I tossed and turned. When I woke up, I still felt abnormally chilly. I could see Shizuka in my mind, her solemn face as she went into the freezer. And afterward, her expression frozen in place, just like the rest of her. The images stayed with me as I got dressed, and I knew I needed to put my mind somewhere else. I should find something useful to do, or someone to talk to. I had to take my mind off the snap freeze.

At least it was quick, I thought.

I looked at my tablet to see where the rest of the crew was. Most of them were in their own quarters. They might still have been sleeping. But Katashi and Yoshiki were both in the Eco Lounge.

Maybe helping out with the planting or harvesting would distract me enough to stop thinking about the freezer.

I arrived at the Eco Lounge and went inside. I couldn't see anyone at first. It took a bit of exploration before I saw that Yoshiki and Katashi were together, harvesting strawberries.

Hey guys, how's the harvest? Need any help?

Yoshiki was smiling as usual.

There are sooooo many strawberries. The more hands the better!

I can manage on my own.

But... but you don't have to. We're here to help!

Absolutely.

I got down onto my knees, in front of a plant the others hadn't gotten to yet. It was a good yield, the plant was flourishing and heavy with strawberries.

This is good news, right? Strawberries are your favorite, aren't they Katashi?

Yeah, I guess.

I love them. I want to eat them right now! They're so juicy looking.

Yoshiki restrained himself from eating the strawberries straight off the stem, which guessing by his face was quite difficult for him.

Maybe you can make something a bit fancy with them? Oh, maybe a tarte, or a-

Yoshiki trailed off as he realized Katashi was not responding. He was focused on carefully removing each of the strawberries without damaging the fruit or the plant. He was slow and meticulous about it.

Well, I am here to help! These strawberries will rue the day they decided to grow within my picking range.

See? Jordan is here, and we have strawberries! Things are already starting to look up.

[BGM: Et Tu, My Friend]

Look up? Look up!? What is wrong with you? Don't you even care?

Katashi stood up, almost knocking over the basket full of strawberries.

I'm sorry, I...

I can't do this.

Katashi stormed away, heading for the door without another look back at us.

I didn't mean to upset him further... I was just trying to stay positive. To make him feel better.

Clearly it hadn't worked, but that wasn't Yoshiki's fault.

Yep, this is another hangout choice, even though it's, uh, less of a 'hangout' and more of a 'who do you want to console' option :v: However, like I said before, both Jordans have finally decoupled and are moving into their own specific flowchart branches, so these are exclusive to this Jordan- therefore we're going to be seeing both sides in this update.

Let's start with Yoshiki, since he's right here and he is our BFF, after all! :v:

Katashi just needed to be alone. It wasn't even a fully day yet since Shizuka died, and the two were close. After all, I was upset about losing Shizuka, and I barely knew her. It wasn't fair to expect Katashi to just smile and get back to the strawberry harvest.

He'll be okay. If we just leave him, he'll work through it eventually.

Are you sure?

Yeah. He doesn't handle grief well. In fact, there's a panel in the hallway near the Kitchen that's dented. Katashi punched it after his father died.

Wow. That must have taken a lot of force.

He's a great guy, but grief is not his strong point.

I guess it's normal to be angry. It's not like she died because she was sick, or because of an accident.

Don't worry. He'll get it together when we need to focus for the next game. Katashi is always reliable!

Yoshiki was so bright and upbeat, even about the Deletion Games. How did he do it? How could he be optimistic and starry-eyed amongst all this murder?

:stare: I... am NOT asking him that third choice. (It's essentially vestigial anyway, compared to the first two) Let's start with the first choice.

How do you stay so cheerful?

Hahaha! It takes a lot of practice.

But you always seem so positive, no matter what's going on.

You should see me when I cry, hahaha. I am an ugly crier. I shake and sob and make this sound like a cat in a microwave, very unattractive.

Hahaha. So, do you cry a lot?

Not usually in front of other people, if I can avoid it.

Yoshiki sprung up like he just realized something.

Oh, last night I cried myself to sleep, though.

I'm sorry. I didn't know that.

His upbeat attitude made responding here difficult. I wasn't sure how to reply.

I know. But this morning I decided that there are times for grief... and times to be happy.

Shizuka is dead, and I already miss her. But she wouldn't want me to keep crying, so I won't.

And that makes you feel better?

It does. And so does knowing that she would want us to win the game. Dai's trying to pit us against one another, but we are a team. And Shizuka'd never forgive us if we don't win this game.

You're right about that.

So let's win!

Yoshiki seemed fueled by the desire not to let Shizuka down.

And now, let's choose the other option.

Any advice for handling this situation?

Ah, Jordan, my friend. I thought you would never ask. Come, sit, for it is Yoshiki story time! Learn from my wisdom.

Haha! Okay, tell me.

*ahem* When you're a mechanical engineer, you have to deal with all sorts of things. Mainly, stuff that could kill you any minute.

Machines love killing people. Haha.

Yoshiki spoke jokingly, but I understood too well that he was also very serious.

That's why I have to live each moment like it's my last.

So you just don't focus on the bad stuff?

Exactly. I find reasons to enjoy what time I have. If I focused on the bad, I would never get any work done!

Heck, I probably wouldn't be a mechanical engineer, either- it did kill both my parents after all, hahahaha.

What?!

I was taken aback by how casually he just mentioned his dead parents... however, Yoshiki seemed unfazed and just continued with his impassioned speech.

Shizuka is dead. But Shizuka was awesome! And if you think about awesome, that makes you happy.

That's a really great way to think about it.

Yup!

And that's it for Yoshiki's side. Now let's go back and follow Katashi instead of staying behind.

I can't do this.

Katashi stormed away, heading for the door without another look back at us.

I didn't mean to upset him further... I was just trying to stay positive. To make him feel better.

Clearly it hadn't worked, but that wasn't Yoshiki's fault.

I'll talk to him. Don't worry, you were just trying to help.

I checked my tablet and saw that Katashi was heading towards the Kitchen. That made sense- it was where he worked, and it was probably a comfortable, safe place for him. I hurried out of the Eco Lounge to follow him, double checking his location as I went. I found him just before we got to the Kitchen.

Wait, Katashi, stop!

What?

I just want to make sure you're okay.

Yeah, I'm super great.

His sarcasm could do with some work, but now wasn't the time to point that out. Katashi turned his back on me and went to go into the Kitchen.

Yoshiki was just trying to stay positive, he didn't mean to...

Go away, Jordan.

I wasn't about to give up that easily. I followed him into the Kitchen and decided to give it another shot.

We're going to see all three conversation routes, but let's start with the worst idea and pick the third option first! What could go wrong? :eng101:

You want me to leave? Make me.

Katashi tilted his head in disbelief.

Seriously?

The fact you're grieving doesn't mean you get to be so rude!

Katashi stood up straighter, facing me. I hadn't really noticed before quite how broad and imposing he was. *Gulp* Now was not the time to back down.

You want to fight with me about this? For real?

I can take you!

He pulled his arm back and before I could think it came forward, landing square in the center of my face.

I could not take him.

My head was aching and my nose hurt badly. Looking around, I realized I was in the Medical Bay. Katashi had knocked me out with a single punch.

:allears:

Ow!

Oh, you're awake. Great job, Doctor Freud. Your therapy session with Katashi went very well, I think.

Also, getting Katashi to hit you is impressive. Katashi won't go looking for fights, but he will end them if he needs to.

I didn't think he'd actually hit me.

Hahaha! He says he didn't even hit you hard.

It was very hard.

Sure it was, tiger.

You should be pleased to know, he feels much better though. Apparently, slugging you was just the outlet he needed.

Glad I could help.

Hahaha.

He wouldn't stop laughing at me.

It's not funny.

Hahaha. It's actually pretty hilarious. You have honestly made my day.

:v: Fun as this has been, obviously this was a dumb idea. Let's go back and pick one of the other options- the middle one, this time.

Everything's going to be okay.

Katashi stopped in his tracks and yelled over his shoulder.

Go away!

But it will be okay. We can work it out.

How is it ever going to be okay? Shizuka is dead! And Sora... Everything has changed, and it will never be okay!

I know, but we can't dwell on it. We have to find a way to stop Dai and to keep anyone else from dying.

And forget about Shizuka?

No. No, of course not, I didn't mean that. I didn't know Shizuka well, but I do know that she would want us to win, wouldn't she? Not just give up and let Dai kill us all?

I... I guess she would.

Of course she would!

But she'd want us to remember her.

And we will! But allowing our grief to cloud our heads during 'game time' is not something she would want. She would want to be remembered fondly- after we kick Dai's butt!

Yeah, you're right.

She wouldn't want anyone else to die.

Exactly.

Especially since that would mean Dai winning. Beating Dai is definitely what she'd want us to do.

Exactly!

Katashi was starting to come around.

Thanks. I need to get a hold of myself. I need to focus on today.

I don't mean not feel anything at all, just...

Not let grief get in the way of the immediate problem, or in this case, cause us to lose the game. Jordan, thank you for pushing me to see that.

Of course. I'm just glad to help. I know it isn't easy to just push through this pain and focus on something else. It's quite brave, really.

I guess that's what Yoshiki was doing. I never really thought of him as brave, but I think you're right.

It's not like he's happy Shizuka is gone. Of course he isn't. He's probably just as upset...

I imagine it takes a lot of energy and willpower to try and stay as upbeat all the time.

I laughed.

Yoshiki must be exhausted. His upbeat personality sometimes makes me exhausted thorough mere exposure!

Katashi's solemn demeanor was shattered as he fell into laughter.

Hahahahaha. Jordan, thanks. I needed that.

...and lastly, the top option.

Katashi, I'm sorry about Shizuka.

He stopped, still for a moment, before turning around to face me again. His face was red and his eyes glassy and swollen. He was obviously trying not to cry and only just managing to hold it together.

I'm sorry.

I don't get how everyone is just acting like it's a normal day. Doing laundry, eating breakfast, and harvesting fruit like everything's just normal. Like everything's okay.

It's not okay, Jordan.

I know it's not, everyone knows its not.

Don't you think it's wrong to pretend like nothing happened? Like she's not dead?

People all grieve and handle situations differently. Many just do whatever they can to make them feel better.

They shouldn't feel better. None of us should.

How can we just move on when Shizuka is dead? Shizuka! She was the sweetest, most naive...

He took a deep breath, still trying to avoid crying. I got the feeling he wasn't a crying sort of guy, but if there was ever an excuse to drop the strong manly image and start bawling, this was it. But he breathed his way through it.

She was always so hungry. I guess you don't... didn't really know her.

Tell me about her.

She was relatively quiet, unless you got her alone and started talking about something she actually liked...

Katashi had a quiet chuckle to himself upon reflection.

But she was the worst with feelings- she either didn't get it, or didn't know how to express herself properly.

One year, the captain made her a unicorn backpack for her birthday because of a game she plays. When the captain gave it to her, she said absolutely nothing. Just stared blankly at the bag. She just took the bag and went to her quarters in silence, and hugged it for hours. And since then, she was inseparable from the bag. Still never said thank you to the captain.

Hahaha, I am sure the Captain knows. Shizuka was nice. I liked her...

Wish I could have gotten to know her properly.

She liked you.

Tell me more about her being hungry.

Katashi smiled warmly.

When we were just kids, I used to sneak her some of my food portion, without her knowing. I used to think it would make her grow up bigger and taller.

I don't think it worked. She was still the shortest member of the crew.

Well, we know that now! That is how you do science, isn't it?

Hahaha! Pretty much. Experimentation at its finest. Keep trying til you work it out.

Shizuka said that's how you win a game, too. Play it over and over, trying different approaches, until you figure out which is the best way to win.

That sounds like a good strategy.

Shizuka was all strategy. I can't believe she lost, Jordan. It isn't fair. She deserved to win.

I was about to ask more about Shizuka- clearly, talking about her made Katashi happy- but before I could say anything, Dai's voice was booming through the corridor at ear-aching volume.

Yahooooo~! Everyone's favorite A.I. System here! My, it's a beautiful day, isn't it? It would be such a shame if someone were to mention the DELETION GAME!

Dai let loose a maniacal laugh.

Ahem. Sorry, lost my composure for a moment there. Now then, could I have all crew members report to the Dining Hall immediately for the weekly briefing. That's all for now.

Seriously though, hurry up! I'm not going to wait here all day.

Great.

Katashi sighed as his posture dropped.

I guess we'd better go.

Katashi, just remember, no matter who wins and loses the game, it's Dai who's the problem. Not each other.

You're right. Okay, let's go find out what 'good times' lie ahead of us.

His sarcasm clearly improves with his mood.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

As we entered the dining room we were greated by an overly excited Dai.

Welcome, welcome, please everyone take your seats. The show is about to begin, and I must say I am quite excited about this one.

I made my way to the table and took the empty seat next to the captain. Dai was excitedly moving around the room, pretending to do a headcount.

Okay, good, good, everyone is sitting.

Get on with it, Dai.

Didn't your mother ever teach you that patience is a virtue?

The captain looked at Dai intensely.

Oh, that's right, she probably wasn't around long enough to teach you much. Such a shame.

Tsk.

I could see the captain becoming enraged by Dai's words, but she remained composed.

Alright, I can't hold in the excitement any longer! Welcome to Round Four of the Deletion Game: BIDDING WARS!

I have noticed a certain lack of... what's the word...

TEAMWORK!

So I have specifically designed this game to help us grow as a crew, but more importantly, as a family. We have to work as a team and trust one another if we are to get through this together.

Cut the crap, Dai, one of us will die, teamwork is not on the cards.

Well, it is now, 'cause I said so! If you would all please turn your attention to your tablet devices, I have made you a short video on the rules!

[BGM: Et Tu, My Friend]

So the game will be played and the bidding wars end on Sunday, a week from now. This is pretty exciting, right? Now, would you like me to explain the rules again myself, or just skip straight to the fun?

For once, we're given the option of skipping her verbal explanation, but I'm going to have her explain the rules directly, just so we have the full picture. :eng101:

Could you please go over the rules of the game so it's clear what we're doing?

Of course! And I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your ongoing participation!

So, you will be split into two groups. Two teams of four people. Each team will be allocated a captain- but shhh, who that is will be a secret only your team will know. This game will then be played over three battles for points.

Each battle, your team gains 10 points to allocate amongst the four of you. Points can be allocated freely, but every battle at least two team members must be allocated a minimum of 1 point each.

Your team captain has the final say on team point allocations! Each team will enter the dining hall separately, and the captain will tell me how many points each person in their team is allocated for the battle.

After both teams have entered the room and told me their team's point allocations, the battle will end and the results will determine the winner of that battle. All four team members will be ranked, from highest points to lowest, and will face off with the opposing team in the same order.

The team with the highest points for each rank wins that rank, and will receive those points both as an individual and for their team's total.

For example, if Team A's highest allocation is 5 points and Team B's is 4, the score of Team A and its individual player increases by 5. Team B and Team B's player will receive 0 score. If both Team A's and Team B's highest point allocation is the same, for example both players have 5, neither team nor either individual receives points.

Teams receive score equal to the points awarded in battle one, and we will move straight to battle two. Teams' and individuals' scores will carry over and accumulate.

However, only team scores will be known to everyone during the game. Personal scores will only be announced at the end of the game. Remember, it's about winning the war, not the battles! After three consecutive battles, the war ends and the team with the least points will lose.

But, don't worry, I can't just execute four people, that's crazy. The player with the least amount of individual score in the losing team will be the overall loser, and will face the Wheel!

Dai held her hand to her ear, implying she could hear one of us speaking- though we were all deadly silent.

What's that I hear you asking? What if after 3 battles, both teams' total scores are tied? Then I will make a special exception... and execute both teams' captains! And what about if the losing team has two members tied with least points?

Don't worry, I won't execute the two of you, that's not fair- just the losing team's captain! Even if they aren't the one with the lowest points! After all, the captain should always go down with the ship, hahahaha!

Dai winked at the captain before waving her arms in anticipation.

Gah, I'm so excited! So, is it all for one and one for all, or every man for himself?

Oh, I forgot to mention. One BIG rule with this game. Because I want to encourage teamwork, from this point on you are PROHIBITED from speaking or communicating with members of the opposing team. I can't have someone trading insider information now, can I? That wouldn't be fair. Or fun.

If anyone breaks this rule, there will be punishment. SERIOUS PUNISHMENT! So let's play fair, okay?

Okie-dokie! I have split you into two teams, boys vs girls. Just for funsies!

Team A is Jordan, Nikolas, Katashi, and Yoshiki. Team B is Beatrix, Kimiko, Melody, and...

Because I'm not the monster you all want to paint me as...

Vladimir.

Wait? Vladimir is a woman?

What? No?

Hahaha, for this game and for my theme to work, Vladimir is an honorary lady. Congratulations! Now remember, no talking to the enemy! At all! Or else!

Dai left her threat hanging in the air before putting on her fake chirpy cute voice.

I need to allocate the captains... but in private...

Bye bye, Team B! You go outside, now! Bye bye, farewell, take care!

Team B got up from their chairs and all shuffled solemnly into the corridor.

Now that they're gone, we can get down to business. Unless you would rather spend some quality time with dear old Dai?

Can we just get on with it, please?

Didn't think so. You know, I too wish I was on a team.

You can be an honorary man!

If the captain were here, she would slap you. I almost wish she was.

Yoshiki shrunk back with her hurtful comment.

We need to assign you a team captain.

Do we just pick someone?

No! Of course not. Where's the fun in that? On your tablets, I've preloaded four cards. You can each choose one, and the one that reveals a bunny, that winner gets to be the captain.

Couldn't you just change the cards if you wanted to pick who's captain?

Why would I do that? Otherwise I would just pick whoever I want, anyway.

So it's just pure luck?

Yep! Now, come on kids, mama Dai still needs to see Team B.

I'll go last, then. It's all luck, anyway.

True. I'll go second to last, then.

Then I'll choose first and Katashi second.

Sure, whatever.

Alright. I choose card 3.

I guess I'll take 1.

And the winner is... Jordan! Congratulations on becoming team captain!

So, now can we go and strategize?

Oh, so keen~ I like that about you, Nik. I'm gonna start calling you Nik. No, wait, maybe Nikky...

Let's go somewhere to talk this through, team.

Off you go now... Mama Dai is ready for her next appointment!

On our way out, we passed Team B, still waiting in the hallway for Dai to let them back in. I wondered who their team captain would be. Beatrix was clever but untrustworthy, and Kimiko was the actual captain of the ship, so those leadership skills would help. What if Melody was the team captain? What would they do then?

We all followed Nikolas to the Eco Lounge, where we could sit and talk strategy.

Initial thoughts about the game?

It sounds like.... argh, too much math!

You're an engineer! You use math all the time!

Well, I should...

What do you mean, should!? Is this ship even safe!?

*ahem* Gentlemen, Yoshiki's questionable engineering practices are the least of our worries when at least one person's death is already certain on Sunday.

Yes, sorry. Back on task! So if the goal here is to win the war, we need to make sure we win as many of the battles as we can! Maybe the first round will be impossible to predict, but it might help us to guess at their next move after that.

If we go into the first round with a 7 or an 8, we can see if they're using high numbers too. If they beat our high number, we know they've picked one even higher.

And that would mean both teams have used only one or two low numbers. And that might be useful information.

Good start. Katashi, what do you think?

What difference does it make? If we win, one of them dies. If we don't, one of us. Who cares which?

This might come as a shock to some, but I enjoy, and plan to continue, living.

But what about Beatrix? He couldn't protect or help her. His moves could kill her and he wouldn't know.

I'm just not in the mood to play murder games right now.

Well, you don't have to be! You have a week to get your game face on!

Yoshiki, for once, is right. We can deal with strategy more extensively closer to Sunday.

Whatever happens, we need to try to protect ourselves. I am with Nikolas on this one- I don't want to die.

Me neither! Come on team! We can do this!

Let's keep up that enthusiasm, Yoshiki.

We all have work we could be doing.

Alright. We'll all meet back here, Friday morning.

You're giving orders now?

We need to pull ourselves together, I am simply organizing our front.

I'm happy to meet on Friday morning to start our strategy.

Very well.

Aye aye, Captain!

Yoshiki saluted me playfully. Katashi just rolled his eyes and waved as he left, giving the impression he would be in attendance. I left the Eco Lounge deep in thought, my mind on so many things at once: Shizuka's death, Bidding Wars, deactivating Dai, the pocket watch and the mysteries it held.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've been having this suspicion for a while now, but it's started to crystallize.

I think what Dai is really trying to do with the Deletion Game is get Jordan killed. Specifically. And I don't know why, just yet.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
I'm gonna be honest: Having played through this game and gotten most of the endings, I have never understood how this round actually works at all. All results from this round were acquired by completely random chance.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

I'm gonna be honest: Having played through this game and gotten most of the endings, I have never understood how this round actually works at all. All results from this round were acquired by completely random chance.

Yeah, I'm not gonna have people voting for actual allotments or anything because of how weirdly complicated it can get, it'll just be a similar vote like Logiship had in terms of 'which branching path do we take' once we get to that point. There IS a secret to it that I picked up on while preparing for this LP, but I won't be revealing that til close to the end :eng101:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Well while the actual allocations will not be disclosed, it's fun to speculate!
I am p sure i have seen an explanation to this exact problem somewhere, while reading on game theory, but i'm gonna refrain from looking it up for optimal strats as that would be unsporting.

Either way, let's see what kind of distributions we can do.
The obvious opener is 9-1. Best case scenario it gets you 9 points and opponents get up to 7 (with 3-3-2-2 distribution, you win the first round and lose the other 3), worst case it gives you 0 and the opponent gets 0. We don't want this strategy as it kills Jordan if used consecutively. It IS however basically unbeatable as if i understand it correctly, it's a guaranteed win or tie.
8-2 is similar, but worse, as it loses to 9-1 AND only wins against... 7-1-1? That's the only strat it beats....
all other such strats are similar... until you get down to 5-5 all of them lose to higher strategies and only beat strats with bigger spreads.
Now, let's see the spread strats.
The spreadiest one would be 3-3-2-2, which is beat by any double strategy, but it lets you have people with individual scores i guess.

Okay, as-is, if we want Jordan to not die, we basically need to use losing strats that still give points and make sure we are not the lowest and there are no lowest ties. I am voting to off Nikolas tbh.
As mentioned, the optimal 9-1 will most likely cause us to draw which is the least optimal scenario possible.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

My nightmares were getting worse. Images of my parents, Shizuka, Sora, all danced through my head, lifeless. There were also a lot of clocks. They were dangling from chains and ticking, their hands spinning either perilously fast or so slow it was barely detectable. Waking up was a relief. I sat up in bed, staring into the darkness, lost in my thoughts.

That pocket watch was clearly at the front of my consciousness, however I still didn't understand how or why it works. I needed help. I couldn't talk to the members of the other team at all, which complicated things. I could only go to my own team for help. Maybe one of them knew something, though. About the watch, about my parents, or what travelling through multiple dimensions would do. But who?

Though this decision has an in-story purpose to it (getting advice on the watch), it is still, functionally, just a hangout choice, and so we'll be seeing all three choices. :eng101:

Order doesn't really matter, so let's just start at the top of the list with Katashi.

Katashi wasn't a quantum physicist, but he was a smart guy. I figured he'd probably welcome the opportunity to talk about something that wasn't the Deletion Game.

Katashi is in the Kitchen, and that means he might feed me. I do enjoy eating.

When I got to the Kitchen, I made sure it was Katashi before I greeted him speaking. I didn't want to accidentally speak to anyone on the other team. I went in to find Katashi monitoring two frying pans and a saucepan.

Gooood morning, Katashi. Need any help... eating your food?

Eating? Not yet, but help making food would be great. Chop this up, please.

Katashi handed me some vegetables... which suspiciously didn't look like breakfast food.

Wait, this is more than just breakfast, isn't it?

Hahaha, yeah. I'm making some meals and then putting them in the fridge, so everyone can eat when they want to.

Including Team B?

Exactly. Vladimir has his hands full with Melody, and the Captain already has so much on her plate already. And obviously Melody can't cook for them.

What about Beatrix?

Ahahahaha, Beatrix... cook, for others!

I waited for Katashi to stop lauging to himself about Beatrix before changing the subject.

So... I wanted your advice about something.

It's not dating advice, is it? Because that's not my strong suit...

No, no. I've found something that belonged to my parents, and I don't know what to do with it.

What is it?

I took the pocket watch out to show him, and he looked at it curiously.

It's an old-fashioned pocket watch. Where did you find it?

With my parents' research. The files kind of suggested that it's related to their work.

Weren't they theoretical physicists or something? What were they doing with an old watch?

I think it has something to do with changing dimensions.

As these are different dialogue paths, we'll be seeing all of them as well. :eng101: Starting from the top...

Do you think it's possible that other dimensions exist?

Hahahaha.

I was so confused as to why he was laughing.

Jordan, I'm an agricultural engineer. This is really a question I should be asking you.

Hahaha, I guess you're right. My parents did teach me a fair amount, but a pocket watch that can help you change dimensions? And why a pocket watch? Why not a toaster?

Well, you're the scientist... so are other dimensions real?

I think so, but I'm not really sure. Maybe my parents were just on crack their whole lives.

Haha. Does their research make sense? Or look like drug-addled nonsense?

Well, it looks plausible, and it checks out theoretically.

Didn't they write any instructions on how to use the pocket watch?

Nope. I'm not even sure they got to that stage before they left.

Katashi thought for a moment before giving his advice.

You should just read everything they left here, thoroughly, taking notes. You don't wanna mess around with that thing if you can't be sure what it does.

See. No knowledge of quantum mechanics required. Thanks Katashi, that's great advice.

Hahaha. Glad to help.

Next, the middle option.

What would you do if you could change dimensions?

Hmmm, what would I do?

I guess I'd go to a dimension where they have cinnamon.

What's that?

It's a spice. They had it on Earth. My mother was quite the fan. She was always talking about how she'd eat anything cinnamon flavored.

What kind of spice was it?

She never quite described it. She said it was usually used to flavor sweet things.

I know it seems silly, but because it was my mother's favorite, it's important to me. If I got to taste some, it'd be like sharing something with her.

Did she bring any seeds? Can you plant some?

We are carrying the seeds on board, but they're not for the Eco Lounge or farm. Spices aren't considered essential. One day, they'll be planted on the new planet, but I won't live to see that. My children's children's children: they will get the privilege of tasting cinnamon.

Hahaha, is it possible to be jealous of future generations!? Anyway...

Well, if I continue my parents' work on travelling between dimensions and succeed, then...

Katashi pepped up.

I might get to try cinnamon after all!

I was going to say, 'prevent more deaths', but the cinnamon cause is just as important.

I smiled at Katashi.

It would be the icing on the cake.

Katashi smiled back warmly.

And, lastly, the bottom option.

Maybe everyone is alive in another dimension...

Katashi didn't reply.

I'm just saying, because this watch... As I said, I think it might be for travelling between dimensions.

Still not answering, Katashi began to pay very close attention to stirring his saucepan.

So if it works, we could maybe see all our friends. Your parents, and mine. Sora and Shizuka.

Shizuka is dead, Jordan, and another version of Shizuka will just be that- another version. They won't be the same. They won't be her.

I kind of knew that, I guessed. I suppose I was still holding on to the idea of seeing my parents again. If Katashi was right, and if different dimensions held different versions, which of course they would, perhaps they wouldn't be the same as... or even anything like the parents I knew.

Yeah. Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe they wouldn't even know us.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring you down like that. Hahaha, what do I know? I'm just a glorified farmer. Maybe there are many versions of your parents, and you could take your pick, like parental adoption!

Haha. No, I think you were right the first time. They'd be different people with different experiences. And they might even have their own me... or maybe I don't exist at all.

Don't worry, Jordan. You don't need fake parents from some other dimension when you've got this dimension's me right here.

You want to be my parents? My daddy?

I raised my eyebrow at Katashi playfully.

Daddy, mummy, your whole family! There's a lot of me to go around.

That sounds like a lot of work on your behalf.

Pfft, I got this, kiddo. *ahem* You're grounded for a month!

What for?!

Talking back to me, eh? Make that two months!

See, I got this.

Katashi smiled at me playfully as he patted me endearingly on the head.

Well, now I have a lot to think about.

I'm happy to help, or at the very least have attempted to. So, what are you going to do with the watch?

Find out more about it. My parents must have left some clues behind. The whole point of me being born was to pass on their skills and knowledge, right?

Right.

So, they must have prepared for the possibility they couldn't pass things on to me directly.

Makes sense, and reading their notes seems like the best approach.

It does. Thank you, just talking about it's been really helpful.

No problem, and thanks for chopping up all the vegetables for me. I'd ask Ai, but she's useless with a knife.

Katashi smirked playfully at me. The mention of Ai reminded me. I needed to talk to her about Dai and the deactivation code when I have time. But first, let's deal with the pocket watch a little further.

And that's it for Katashi's scene. :eng101: Next up, let's go ask Yoshiki.

I didn't want to show the watch to just anone. I didn't know what it could do, and didn't know who I could trust- especially with the Deletion Game still going on. But I was sure I could trust Yoshiki.

I arrived at the Gym, to find him straightening his bow tie.

Jordan, good morning! Are you coming for a swim? Awww, I just finished! You should have told me and I would have waited for you!

Haha, no swimming, I was looking for you actually.

You found me! Great work!

Hahaha, yeah. So, you just finished swimming?

Yup. Just got dressed. Now I'm ready to tackle the marvels of engineering.

Ahaha! I guess I'll walk with you then.

That would be an honor, bestie!

As we left the Gym into the hallway, I decided to get straight to the point.

I want to show you something. I found this pocket watch. It belonged to my parents.

Whaaa? It's beautiful. Old, but in a good way!

I don't think it's just a watch, though.

Ooh! Is it a spy watch? With hidden gadgets?

Haha! Maybe. I found it with my parents' research notes.

Weren't they physicists? Maybe that was their cover, and they were actually clockmakers!

Hahaha, no, they were definitely physicists. Quantum physics was their field of expertise. Also, their cover for what? I don't imagine clockmakers make many enemies.

How many clockmakers have you ever met?

Well, none...

Exactly! They are all undercover as other professions...

I... anyway, back to the pocket watch...

Hmmm... but how does a pocket watch fit in with quantum physics?

Well, their notes seem to suggest that the watch is some sort of conduit for jumping dimensions.

Yoshiki stopped walking suddenly.

Wow!! Really!?! That's amazing! My parents did always say that your parents were geniuses! Guess they were right!

How does it work?

Yoshiki was now bouncing up and down on the spot with excitement.

I don't really know how. Or even if it does work at all.

Their notes didn't say?

I don't really understand all of their notes just yet, but I think maybe it can work.

That's so cool! But...

Wait. If you use the watch to travel from this dimension to another dimension, would you get to meet you?

I don't know. I guess so, maybe.

So, what happens if you meet your alternate self? Does the universe just explode? Do you cause a rip in space and time like so many old movies say? Hahaha.

Haha, I don't think so, but I don't know to be honest. What about you Yoshiki, and other Yoshikis...

Once again, different dialogue paths, so seeing all three, starting at the bottom...

Would you want to meet yourself?

Hmm... I'd really want to. But I'd be really scared.

Why? Do you think something bad would happen?

My mother used to tell me this story. It was about a girl looking for her true love. Her true love used dimensional travel to find her, but in the end the universe would try to kill him because he was an intruder and wasn't supposed to be there.

I don't want to die!

You could just keep jumping between universes until you find one that doesn't want to kill you!

Haha! I never thought of that. You're so clever, Jordan. Just like your parents.

Ha, not clever enough to figure out this watch though!

Well, you haven't had a lot of time yet. Your parents had a lifetime to get to this point, you've had what, two weeks?

You're right. Gah, I love how you are always so positive!

Hahaha, that's me. And I'm positive you can figure it out! And now you've got me to help you do it!

Next, the middle option.

Maybe other dimension Yoshiki is... a woman.

Yoshiki didn't reply at all, at first. His jaw had dropped open while he carefully considered this shocking concept.

A woman? Could I be... Could I really be a woman?

It's possible. It's possible there are dimensions where you don't exist at all.

Well, I hope girl me is pretty!

Of course she would be!

But... but what if she flirts with you? Would you like her better?

What? I...

Well, she should know better than to flirt with you! I'd be kinda jealous. You shouldn't even be interested in her.

Why not?

She's not even your Yoshiki. I'M your Yoshiki! If you are to love any Yoshiki, it's your own Yoshiki!

Maybe you'll fall in love with alternate me!

Or a different alternate you!

Huh? That sounds very confusing.

You're right! Let's make a rule about sticking with your own dimension's versions. If you want a Yoshiki, you have to have your own dimension's Yoshiki, and vice versa.

Agreed. We need a policy of no inter-reality dating.

It's the only safe solution.

Yoshiki smiled proudly. It's not everyday that you create and implement a cross-dimensional dating policy.

And, lastly, the top option.

What if other dimension Yoshiki doesn't like you?

What!? How could you even suggest that!?

Well, he's an alternate version of Yoshiki. Maybe he's from a universe where people aren't very nice!

Of course not!

I am Yoshiki. And Yoshiki is Yoshiki, and Yoshiki loves all Yoshikis.

All Yoshikis are Yoshikis, and Yoshiki loves Yoshikis, so Yoshiki loves Yoshikis, including me.

If you say so???

Yoshikis love their own Yoshikiness. Yoshiki loves the Yoshiki inside. That's what being Yoshiki is all about, and all Yoshikis understand what it is to be Yoshiki, and what it is to be a Yoshiki.

So, all Yoshikis would automatically like Yoshiki, even if it's a different Yoshiki. Even a parallel Yoshiki is bound by the love of Yoshiki.

I didn't understand any of that, but you seem confident about it.

I'm always confident about love. And Yoshikis! I'm an expert on Yoshiki and Yoshikis...

No. Please stop. My brain hurts.

Ahaha! So, what are we gonna do with the watch?

I think I will go back to my quarters and work on the pocket watch problem some more. I'll let you know if I find any Yoshikis in need of your Yoshiki love.

Hahaha, thanks bestie!

Talking to Yoshiki hadn't really answered any questions about what the watch did and how it worked, but it did put me in a good mood. Just talking to him, regardless of topic, always made me feel good. We had walked together from the Gym to the Engineering Bay.

So Yoshiki, what are you working on today?

Engineering.

Hahaha, bye bestie! I am here if you need me. Have fun with your watch!

Yoshiki disappeared into the Engineering Bay. I headed back to my quarters. This watch problem wasn't about to solve itself, sadly.

Next update, we'll go ask Nikolas about the watch, and then continue onward after we've gotten advice from one of our teammates.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mix. posted:

You want to be my parents? My daddy?

oh my god Jordan you can't ask someone you recently met that

Kinda funny how the choices are unassuming but there's 1 each that is clearly meant to be flirtatious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mix. posted:

Agreed. We need a policy of no inter-reality dating.

I know that Jordan and Yoshiki are making a funny, but I can't help thinking there's a chance this might actually come up.