Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Devor posted:

Step 1 of an idle game, create a class that uses a megabit of memory to store the value of your base currency.

BigInt, which in theory allows infinite numbers does exist. It's pretty slow, and also I don't think has a Unity port, but it is opensource. , I think I tried just copy pasting a C# Big Int into Unity and it ran, but I didn't even attempt to benchmark it beyond yup it's bigger than a double and can keep going.

I also don't think BigInt was more than an early beta that was even slower when NGU came out. Really you probably don't want a custom numeral class in a Unity project

I play with Unity, I haven't ever released anything and nothing has gotten to a point worth showing, I like knowing how tools work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

LordAdakos posted:

How can I join the idleon guild? I created my own but it's just me and my partner and we aren't GP powerhouses.

Edit: sent request to join pizza is free. I think I did this correctly -- no clue if I actually did.

Accepted puncho and atomic dog, I did some pruning so we have 20ish slots left for whoever else wants in.

Feel free to ask me about catching back up to w4 if you've been gone a while, I just went through the process so I can give pretty recent advice

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I got 22% Mastery in Evolve idle and my Imps just Cataclysmed their toxic unstable hellscape planet. Good riddance but I guess Im in for a long haul now.

I wanted Genetics so I could do trait boosting but I think it will take 60 hours to sequence the genome so probably not...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sibling of TB posted:

I got 22% Mastery in Evolve idle and my Imps just Cataclysmed their toxic unstable hellscape planet. Good riddance but I guess Im in for a long haul now.

I wanted Genetics so I could do trait boosting but I think it will take 60 hours to sequence the genome so probably not...

Gonna give you a fair warning right now to not do Cataclysm with that low of mastery. You will hate life.

It took like 5 days or so at 200%+ mastery. And you have to do it twice for both perks, cataclysm while doing cataclysm and bioseeding out.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Gonna give you a fair warning right now to not do Cataclysm with that low of mastery. You will hate life.

It took like 5 days or so at 200%+ mastery. And you have to do it twice for both perks, cataclysm while doing cataclysm and bioseeding out.

Alright Thanks for the heads up. Did a soft reset, it tried to give me balogs for Steelean so another soft reset and now doing imp steelean.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

applied to pizza is free in Idleon, first character's name is Grombor and I think that's how it shows up in the request?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

postmodifier posted:

Accepted puncho and atomic dog, I did some pruning so we have 20ish slots left for whoever else wants in.

Feel free to ask me about catching back up to w4 if you've been gone a while, I just went through the process so I can give pretty recent advice

I'm struggling to get through world 2. Characters are all level 55-65, working on amarok and gold armor with the enforced slasher, pharaoh bow, bandage wraps. Trying to start mining platinum soon.

Any suggestions on how to proceed through to world 3? Things seemed to hit a wall once I entered world 2.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I actually intend to use longs for the main combat stats in ngu 2, but i'm gonna avoid using as many X% multiplicative boosts, and use more +X type gains

sorry if that bums anyone out

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Lucky Guy posted:

applied to pizza is free in Idleon, first character's name is Grombor and I think that's how it shows up in the request?

Accepted!

I also just wanted to share that a large part of why I burned out on Idelon for almost a year was that playing and managing nine different characters to keep up with cutting edge progression became more like a job than a game - the latest content patch introduces a mechanic where you put a character in suspended animation and don't have to play it anymore, and in exchange, for every character you lock off, you work towards crazy account-wide bonuses

You can take them out and put them back any time you want to, but being able to just focus one character and have the other 8 passively boosting your stuff is a very very welcome change, if that had turned anyone else off previously

There's also a cool rogue-like group content side game these days, in the form of dungeons, if that tickles your fancy

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

LordAdakos posted:

I'm struggling to get through world 2. Characters are all level 55-65, working on amarok and gold armor with the enforced slasher, pharaoh bow, bandage wraps. Trying to start mining platinum soon.

Any suggestions on how to proceed through to world 3? Things seemed to hit a wall once I entered world 2.

Platinum helm and boots will help a lot because of their defense % boosts, once you can kill the world 2 boss consistently you can unlock the achievements for him at the task board and get solid chest and leg armor as well.

The game has a tendency to hide buffs throughout about seventeen different mechanics, so don't neglect the post office, alchemy, stamps, statues, star signs, cards, arcade, etc, etc, etc

Once you start leveling those things up you'll see your stats skyrocket

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

pixaal posted:

BigInt, which in theory allows infinite numbers does exist. It's pretty slow, and also I don't think has a Unity port, but it is opensource. , I think I tried just copy pasting a C# Big Int into Unity and it ran, but I didn't even attempt to benchmark it beyond yup it's bigger than a double and can keep going.

I also don't think BigInt was more than an early beta that was even slower when NGU came out. Really you probably don't want a custom numeral class in a Unity project

I play with Unity, I haven't ever released anything and nothing has gotten to a point worth showing, I like knowing how tools work.

There is also break_infinity.js on github that is pretty fast and has a C# compatible version for unity which allows for some stupidly large numbers up to 1e9e15 (10^205891132094649 i think)

and if thats not enough there is version 2.0 of that called break_eternity.js which allows for numbers as large as 10^^1e308 which I honestly have no idea what that notation means, but I'm sure it's stupidly^stupid large

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm at 22% mastery and trying to 3-Star Bioseed my way off this Toxic planet, and boy howdy is Bioseed slow with 3 stars. I've only settled the Moon and red planet, and I'm not sure there's any way to speed any of this up at this point.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm at 22% mastery and trying to 3-Star Bioseed my way off this Toxic planet, and boy howdy is Bioseed slow with 3 stars. I've only settled the Moon and red planet, and I'm not sure there's any way to speed any of this up at this point.

Not really, although a 3* shouldn't be much slower than a 0* unless you're getting craftsman blocked. Phage, at least, continues to scale your plasmids very well up to 1000 or so before petering out so you'll keep getting faster from the increased softcap for a while.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Not really, although a 3* shouldn't be much slower than a 0* unless you're getting craftsman blocked. Phage, at least, continues to scale your plasmids very well up to 1000 or so before petering out so you'll keep getting faster from the increased softcap for a while.

Is 18 craftsmen not enough? Then again, maybe I don't have enough Phage. I think I only have 30-something?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Is 18 craftsmen not enough? Then again, maybe I don't have enough Phage. I think I only have 30-something?

Depends? If it's crafted goods that are holding you back and you already have all the plasmid upgrades for them then it's whatever and just build more fabrication and factories. If you don't have the craftsmen buffs then 3* would be more painful, of course. And the phage amount doesn't matter as you need to do bioseeds to get more anyways. Nothing else important really changes between a 0 and 3.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hughlander posted:

I've never worked on an MMO that didn't hit whatever cap they used for currency/experience.

Any time I do a home project I always make sure it's encapsulated in a class completely so the underlining datatype can be swapped out whenever. And when I was working on an idler, I started with a BigNumber package just to avoid that.

That's smart, and I don't disagree with it. However, I do think there's value in some of the F2P approach to incremental games where instead of having incredibly large numbers you have a tree of different resources or currencies that achieve the same result while also giving yourself more options for game design in how those things are converted. It's annoying to have like 50 different currencies in a game for sure, but if you put them in tiers you don't need to have that many tiers before you get essentially infinite progression space while not having to worry that much about overflow.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Re: Incremental Mass Rewritten

What am I supposed to be doing at this stage? The next element is a huge distance away and I have nothing else to work on, not even close to any other challenge completions and mass dilation gives nothing, all upgrades purchased and all autobuyers are on, etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably just hit a random timewall that'll sort itself out in a few hours. Might also be getting pretty close to supernova.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yup, I went to take a poo poo and came back to a new screen. :v:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

FailAtMagic posted:

There is also break_infinity.js on github that is pretty fast and has a C# compatible version for unity which allows for some stupidly large numbers up to 1e9e15 (10^205891132094649 i think)

and if thats not enough there is version 2.0 of that called break_eternity.js which allows for numbers as large as 10^^1e308 which I honestly have no idea what that notation means, but I'm sure it's stupidly^stupid large

^^ is a notation for power towers. basically 10 to the 10th power, only that 10th power is also raised to the 10th power, and that 10th power is also raised to the 10th power and so on up until the stack gets to 1e308 layers high. it only take like 6 layers before you have a number that couldn't even physically be written in scientific notation because the number of digits in the exponent would be so large.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
In Incremental Mass, im getting 450ish quarks per reset (like 2 seconds), e201 darkmatter, and have 1e33 atoms.
Yellow challenges are high 90s.

The way to progress now is to keep resetting for quarks over and over? Been doing that for hours now and have gone from like 100 to 100k in each and theres very little change in progress elsewhere.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ineptitude posted:

In Incremental Mass, im getting 450ish quarks per reset (like 2 seconds), e201 darkmatter, and have 1e33 atoms.
Yellow challenges are high 90s.

The way to progress now is to keep resetting for quarks over and over? Been doing that for hours now and have gone from like 100 to 100k in each and theres very little change in progress elsewhere.

That's about where I am right now, and would like some info too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the first big wall is the e30-e35 atom range. Try to get as many challenge completions as you can, especially on 5/6/7.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

There are a couple of places where manually resetting every two seconds for more quarks is necessary in order to progress, yes.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
i made and tested a new style of enemy :)

have a look

https://giant.gfycat.com/DesertedContentBlackandtancoonhound.mp4

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

i made and tested a new style of enemy :)

have a look

Okay this is looking legit. My brain is trying to figure it out with dynamic music so it's going faster and laying more stuff, but I don't think that's even remotely the skill set and most people play idle games without sound (or did, maybe that changes with steam).

e: snipping video, that's not an image can't timg

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 17, 2022

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
to be clear, i set the hive's spawn limit up to 16 to maximize chaos. for an actual enemy i'll set the bee cap to 2 or 3. or it might only spawn bees on death, something like that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

to be clear, i set the hive's spawn limit up to 16 to maximize chaos. for an actual enemy i'll set the bee cap to 2 or 3. or it might only spawn bees on death, something like that.

You could get some interesting challenging bosses with this though where a new trash mob spawns every 30-60 seconds and it's about dodging the trash and killing the boss (which kills the trash). A soft enrage timer of sorts.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Jade Rider posted:

That's about where I am right now, and would like some info too.

I joined the discord but could not find any relevant info. Some of the pins are from a literal year ago and talk about upgrade costs that have changed.

I managed to get to the 100e33 Atom upgrade by just resetting atoms over and over, roughly 300e30 atoms at a time (so 300ish manual resets, at about 6 seconds, not terribly engaging)
This skyrocketed quark gains but did not really give the big leap in progress i was hoping for. Left the game alone for a while after grinding out 2 million quarks and came back to a 50e39 atom bank which was enough to autobuy the 1e210 dark matter upgrade after resets. Looks like grinding quarks for a long while is the way to progress past this point as well.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 17, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I don't even feel bad for the guy. There was a sign in plain view and it was completely disregarded.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Incremental Mass, I think my current barrier is getting the first Challenge 10 completion done. Sitting substantially away from the 22th supernova, all neutron upgrades bought (some showing up due to hidden and arbitrary thresholds is *not* very fun, especially when I thought I had bought them all), bosons ticking away at e16-e17 and challenges essentially up to date.

Maybe I just need to let it run for a little while longer in that challenge but even if I somehow break past a critical upgrade requirement elsewhere another e1200 seems too far out of reach.

EDIT: Hrm, guess not. Stalled out about e1050 away. Guess it's time to just set it and forget it for a day.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 18, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sage Grimm posted:

Incremental Mass, I think my current barrier is getting the first Challenge 10 completion done. Sitting substantially away from the 22th supernova, all neutron upgrades bought (some showing up due to hidden and arbitrary thresholds is *not* very fun, especially when I thought I had bought them all), bosons ticking away at e16-e17 and challenges essentially up to date.

Maybe I just need to let it run for a little while longer in that challenge but even if I somehow break past a critical upgrade requirement elsewhere another e1200 seems too far out of reach.

EDIT: Hrm, guess not. Stalled out about e1050 away. Guess it's time to just set it and forget it for a day.

Be careful about that, this game has a faulty NaN checker so leaving it alone overnight seems to break it pretty often. Unlike nearly every idle game, it might be for the best to just use offline gains.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sage Grimm posted:

This is the way, I think. I'm nearing 24 hours on this c10 run and am only e400 away now. I wouldn't attempt before SN21 and e16-18 Photon/Gluons, as you say, but otherwise you just need to brute force it over ~2 days.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 18, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
AFAIK there's nothing after Reality 1 and Fermions anyways. And Fermions are just challenges by another name and don't reset.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rynoto posted:

AFAIK there's nothing after Reality 1 and Fermions anyways. And Fermions are just challenges by another name and don't reset.

There's Radiation but it's honestly barely a mechanic.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's Radiation but it's honestly barely a mechanic.

There's another reset tier after that.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Welp, my mastery took a nice several percent jump after 3-Star Bioseeding some Toxic Trolls off an Elliptical Toxic Tundra planet into space. :toot: Sitting at 31% after engsmsploding the Phoenix civilization, once I reach 2k plasmids I'll probably aim for a black hole into Antimatter.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Welp, my mastery took a nice several percent jump after 3-Star Bioseeding some Toxic Trolls off an Elliptical Toxic Tundra planet into space. :toot: Sitting at 31% after engsmsploding the Phoenix civilization, once I reach 2k plasmids I'll probably aim for a black hole into Antimatter.

Hell yeah. First BH isn't too bad, really. Just a bunch of waiting at the end for the infusion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ZZT the Fifth posted:

imagine reading this sentence having never played one of these games, just completely shorn of context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

imagine reading this sentence having never played one of these games, just completely shorn of context

Boy do I miss going into crowded public places and loudly talking about an idle game. So then I captured a ghost and forced them to write books for me and then I ate the books and gained more magic than I knew what to do with .

You got such fun looks.