Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flyndre posted:

I’m going to pick up an Xbox series x after work today. Really excited, since I haven’t owned a console since the ps2.

Are there any accessories that I need/should buy immediately? If I understand correctly, I can connect my regular Sony headphones to the controller using an ordinary 3.5 plug?

you can indeed. no accessories necessary, enjoy the console :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Flyndre posted:

(...)

Are there any accessories that I need/should buy immediately? If I understand correctly, I can connect my regular Sony headphones to the controller using an ordinary 3.5 plug?
Rechargeable double AA:s (with a charger) or a "charge pack" for the controller.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not a fan of the pop-in in gtav but performance mode has a high enough resolution that the game actually looks pretty nice.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't like realistic shadows tho give me defined ones instead of fuzzy any day of the week.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

1-Up posted:

Rechargeable double AA:s (with a charger)

This but if you don't have any atm you can plug a USB type C cable to the pad and it will work without any batteries in it.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Flyndre posted:

I’m going to pick up an Xbox series x after work today. Really excited, since I haven’t owned a console since the ps2.

Not exactly an accessory, but if you're interested in Game Pass at all, ask here before you redeem anything. There's a great deal on a dollar to month term which might be better for you based on your use case. If you get a code for 3 months or something you'd have to wait for it to run out before you can take advantage and there's no telling when the promotion will end (though it's been running strong for quite a while)

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

otter posted:

its also possible it can be fixed unless it went swimming or caught fire. I bought a broken one and got it back on its feet within a couple of minutes.

tried to fix it, if i hadn't sold all my repair stuff, i'd probably be able to. But the repair shop wants 150 to fix it, and by the time I buy a new soldering iron, multimeter, solder, and the actual part i need I'm looking at about the same investment...

a used series S is 190-200. if I'm gonna drop that kinda money when i get my taxes back, i might as well spend the extra 40 to get an upgrade. I dont think i'm gonna chuck it yet, cause I do want to get back into it as a hobby, but the investment involved is the same price as an upgrade.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

priznat posted:

Totally fine, it has feet for it on the side of the case and even Phil Spencer puts his that way :haw:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1276526612880621568

Also Gamers Nexus did tests and found negligable difference in airflow just make sure the usual "top" where the vent is has a lot of open clearance for venting:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/77815/xbox-series-vertical-horizontal-orientation-doesnt-affect-airflow/index.html

Thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Flyndre posted:

Not really, a charge kit for the controller is nice if you're used to plugging your controller in to recharge and just forgetting it.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I take back my Tunic rant slightly, coming back to it this morning I made a little progress and it revealed the functions for a few items and how to use them (you can upgrade your stats, and how you do this was revealed by a manual page I found just after the bit I'd been slamming my head against for an hour with little progress) and I ended up making it a few more bonfires/savepoints/checkpoints ahead and was enjoying myself a little more again.

I maintain that the game would be so much more enjoyable without it aping the estus flask/bonfire health system from dark souls. It is so disheartening to get so far into exploring an area but only have a slip of health left and have to choose between just charging forward and hoping I don't die and have to do the whole section again, or trudging all the way back to the nearest bonfire, respawning all the enemies and ensuring I have to do the whole section again.

Just lemme smash some pots or slash at the fuckin long grass for hearts jeeze, be a zelda.

I also don't understand the "economy" of special items - it puts like.. bombs and such in Big Chests that don't respawn and you get like 2 and they're super easy to accidentally spunk off the side of a cliff and waste them, and even when you do hit stuff with them they're not that powerful. The enemies respawn infinitely but those items seem to be completely finite?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have game pass, I don't know why I keep buying games on sale that I'm not even going to play right away because I'm playing something on game pass.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lord Bob posted:

I also don't understand the "economy" of special items - it puts like.. bombs and such in Big Chests that don't respawn and you get like 2 and they're super easy to accidentally spunk off the side of a cliff and waste them, and even when you do hit stuff with them they're not that powerful. The enemies respawn infinitely but those items seem to be completely finite?

You may know this already but there is a way to buy more bombs.

Vague hint: something in the map page of the manual has some creepy looking eyes

Less vague hint: explore inside the windmill

I personally haven't figured out the system you mentioned in your spoiler lol. Guess I'll look harder...

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks for the accessory help guys.

Trip report: Got my Xbox now, for a 20 % discount even using my credit card. They didn’t have any controllers or charging stations in stock so I’ll have to do with the one and batteries so far. Also: drat the thing is heavier and nicer looking than expected!

I plan on purchasing game pass, so if I understand things correctly, I should utilise the 1 dollar offer first?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

External Organs posted:

You may know this already but there is a way to buy more bombs.

Vague hint: something in the map page of the manual has some creepy looking eyes

Less vague hint: explore inside the windmill

I personally haven't figured out the system you mentioned in your spoiler lol. Guess I'll look harder...

Ah, I did meet spooky skeleton in the windmill and bought an extra heart flask off him - at the time he only had those little firecracker ones, does he also start offering the fancier stuff like the berries and ice bombs and stuff?

The manual page for the thing in my spoiler is actually not far from that, though you have to take a long way around to get to it - it involves (not a full spoiler) the items that seem to have no function that appear along the bottom right of the inventory. - you have to take them to (full process spoiler) one of the bonfire fox statues and while standing in front of it open the inventory - it'll then let you scroll over to those items and pay a fee to consume the item and get a permanent stat upgrade

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Flyndre posted:

Thanks for the accessory help guys.

Trip report: Got my Xbox now, for a 20 % discount even using my credit card. They didn’t have any controllers or charging stations in stock so I’ll have to do with the one and batteries so far. Also: drat the thing is heavier and nicer looking than expected!

I plan on purchasing game pass, so if I understand things correctly, I should utilise the 1 dollar offer first?

Before the offer you want to have Xbox Live Gold time on your account, ideally as much as you can stuff (3 years max iirc). When you take the offer, it will convert 1:1 the Gold time to Game Pass Ultimate time (which includes Gold)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Seems like a lot of folks are now able to get a Series S/X.

Does the OP cover the whole Gamepass conversion? Seems to come up every page or so.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

1-Up posted:

Rechargeable double AA:s (with a charger) or a "charge pack" for the controller.

I came here to post this. I just bought two Best Buy brand battery packs because I'm very used to the pro move of "play with one controller while charging another and swap accordingly" that I do on other consoles.

I picked a battery pack without any kind of charging station, though; they stay in the controller and charge through USB. I like to keep things simple.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Beastie posted:

Seems like a lot of folks are now able to get a Series S/X.

Does the OP cover the whole Gamepass conversion? Seems to come up every page or so.

No but I just took a look and it does have multiple links to breadnroses lmao. A time capsule

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

beggar posted:

No but I just took a look and it does have multiple links to breadnroses lmao. A time capsule

Praise Jeffrey

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

beggar posted:

Lmao.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I have game pass, I don't know why I keep buying games on sale that I'm not even going to play right away because I'm playing something on game pass.

My favorite thing is when I do precisely that and then a month and a half later that very game comes to game pass

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

My favorite thing is when I do precisely that and then a month and a half later that very game comes to game pass

truth

Also, more Starfield :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTkgwV02gk

GOTY 2022?!

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Flyndre posted:

What store do you go to to just pick up an Xbox? Or did you have one on order?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Noob Saibot posted:

I used the Norwegian version of the pricespy webpage which alerted me when one was in stock nearby. Then I reserved it with the store’s click & collect service.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beggar posted:

Lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Noob Saibot posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1504540130299703301?t=zNR06oE_NOW06YtTH9QR_g&s=19

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Edit: beaten.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Trailer for The Quarry is up. Is that one of the twins from the new Scream movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1JUJCNFxNw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Tried that Shredder game and the controls just aren’t clicking for me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Shredders is a worse steep in basically every way. The good news is Steep is real fun and I think on gamepass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cool I will have to try that out. I am really hoping that remastered tony hawk pro skater comes to gamepass what with the activision purchase.

Shredders just seems to really lack any kind of polish, it does look like a game by a small dev team. Which sometimes can be great! But not in this case.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Thanks for posting this, it may help my friend who's wanted one since launch finally land one.

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I bought Guardians of the Galaxy on sale in December and refunded it like two days later after 0 playtime because I thought it would hit Game Pass. Definitely wouldn't have had the time to play it before now too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I spent $600 on a bundle with an extra controller I don't need and an Assassin's Creed game I didn't want two weeks ago. So you're welcome guys, MSRP consoles are gonna be everywhere now.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

im really tempted to pick up another one but then one of my kids would be odd man out with the xbox one. I wonder if this is going to tank the resale market for xbox ones while leaving the ps4 market overinflated.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

otter posted:

im really tempted to pick up another one but then one of my kids would be odd man out with the xbox one. I wonder if this is going to tank the resale market for xbox ones while leaving the ps4 market overinflated.

I think the people buying Xbones aren't in the market at all for a $500 Series X. I expected the "it's at Walmart down the street, go get one" availability of the Series S to tank the secondhand Xbone market but it didn't seem to happen.

I think there's just still a decent number of people who have $200 for a box that plays most of the good 360 games well, plays all the indies well, and if it's an S it works as a 4K streamer and UHD BluRay player.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Powerslave Exhumed's latest patch is now out on consoles, including the Xbox, which now has a native Xbox Series S|X build that runs at 4K120FPS (yes on both consoles).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Picked up an X from Walmart that’ll come in a few weeks. Does Elden Ring run well on it now? I just saw it got a bit patch on everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Picked up an X from Walmart that’ll come in a few weeks. Does Elden Ring run well on it now? I just saw it got a bit patch on everything.

Patch wasn't really for performance but the game runs fine. Not a locked 60 but high enough it was never an issue for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you have a screen capable of VRR then you're in good hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If you have a screen capable of VRR then you're in good hands

I don’t but sounds like it’s good enough. It’ll come in April so maybe a performance patch will be out by then too.