Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
He has vague ideas of concepts relating to normal life but has never really experienced them because he's been NEETing it up in his room all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I think the very first page of the comic is not just him waking up one afternoon but actually waking up from a type of coma where you still eat and play video games, like you're sleep walking.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

simplefish posted:

I don't remember this, don't doubt you though
He was arguing with the narrator for a while about how he's so much better than everyone else for not wasting his life in work or class.

Foreshadowing...

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Lol it would be an even more amazing show if they finally pulled her out in front. "In middle school i decided my life goal was to find some idiot and make a tv star out of him, and.. see?"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I think she's going to :neet:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Elukka posted:

He has vague ideas of concepts relating to normal life but has never really experienced them because he's been NEETing it up in his room all this time.

It always seemed natural to me.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Drink that can of Poo, NEET

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Dad's salami shits are in the fridge as he is carrying a pot of chop suey to his coprologist :mmmhmm: classic dad, probably forgot where his glasses are again

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

He was arguing with the narrator for a while about how he's so much better than everyone else for not wasting his life in work or class.

Foreshadowing...

Considering that both Tohru's hard working parents suicided within minutes of each other without rational cause, he might have had some gleaning of the truth... overwork is bad for the mind and spirit, all work and no play makes Jack a stressed/dead boy, etc...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BigBadSteve posted:

Considering that both Tohru's hard working parents suicided within minutes of each other without rational cause, he might have had some gleaning of the truth... overwork is bad for the mind and spirit, all work and no play makes Jack a stressed/dead boy, etc...

The the shame of having raised a total nimrod became too much to bear.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Maybe don't name your child Nee T. if you want them to get education, employment or training.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I spotted a mock up for a curling manga in the wild today.

Made me giggle and think of this thread.

E: The link broke, and because I thought everyone should see it, I rehosted it.

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 17, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

Work sucks.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

i know

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Lol

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Oh this is way better than a book deal

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Great. Now I have that song suck in my head.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

that art has powerful early 00's newgrounds energy

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A TV show is pretty far from starting at the bottom

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

A TV show is pretty far from starting at the bottom

It's where Drake started, and now he's here, so I'll allow it.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

"M-Misato-san?!"

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Coincidentally, the phrase I've translated as "the brink of ruin" is どん底, donzoko, "the very bottom" or "rock bottom". It's also the name of Akira Kurosawa's 1957 film adaptation of Russian playwright Maxim Gorky's The Lower Depths. While the original Russian play chronicles the misfortunes and hardships of the Russian lower class, Kurosawa's adaptation transplants the turn of the century Russian setting in to an Edo era slum.

It's been a number of years since I've last seen it, but what I remember liking about it is how it's filled with despicable yet likable characters (not unlike this comic) who argue, brawl, and bemoan the suffering that is their lives. Sometimes comic, sometimes bleak, it's a interesting portrayal of a universal human experience that's often ignored or dismissed in American feel-good entertainment--misery.

It's full of recognizable faces from Kurosawa's entire body of work and I recommend it if you have an interest in Japanese cinema.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Space Kablooey posted:

that art has powerful early 00's newgrounds energy

Of course they put the sweeper in a maid costume

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

Of course they put the sweeper in a maid costume

Also is a midget

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hell yeah, back to our roots

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Neat Tony posted:

Refrigerated hamburger with some refrigerated mayo, sounds like they will go well together

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I can see it. Its basically cold fried chicken anyways

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Coincidentally, the phrase I've translated as "the brink of ruin" is どん底, donzoko, "the very bottom" or "rock bottom". It's also the name of Akira Kurosawa's 1957 film adaptation of Russian playwright Maxim Gorky's The Lower Depths. While the original Russian play chronicles the misfortunes and hardships of the Russian lower class, Kurosawa's adaptation transplants the turn of the century Russian setting in to an Edo era slum.

It's been a number of years since I've last seen it, but what I remember liking about it is how it's filled with despicable yet likable characters (not unlike this comic) who argue, brawl, and bemoan the suffering that is their lives. Sometimes comic, sometimes bleak, it's a interesting portrayal of a universal human experience that's often ignored or dismissed in American feel-good entertainment--misery.

It's full of recognizable faces from Kurosawa's entire body of work and I recommend it if you have an interest in Japanese cinema.

What's going on with the guy on the far left? Innsmouth fish man?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
uh it's called style

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm frankly shocked the Enami plotline is continuing instead of just being a lot of buildup leading up to "welp, nothing happened, anyway,"

Maybe it's a fakeout. They'll pretend it's building up to something for a while longer until finally nothing happens for real.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

enami is going to show up on tvs in the background from now on

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Well folks, I don't think I'm revealing too much behind the curtain by saying this, but we have crossed a major thread milestone and have officially reached the end of The Daily Life of Toshiyuki Enami. :toot:

I know it's sad to see Enami and Yoriko ride off in to the sunset, but I think we're all breathing a collective sigh of relief that our favorite psychic fraudster power couple have seemingly evaded any legal repercussions and are off to bigger and better things, rebranding themselves as Japan's number one debunkers of spirit and paranormal phenomena. All things considered, it's probably the best outcome we could have hoped for--at least no one ended up killing themselves.

The comic will now continue uninterrupted with more NEET centered shenanigans. I hope we all learned something from this extended psychic tangent, because Tohru certainly hasn't (and we wouldn't have it any other way lol).

Again, I'd like to thank you all for your continued support and patience. When I started translating (nearly a year ago!) I had no clue that I'd be launching the criminal timeline in to a year-long psychic detour with new characters and an unrelated narrative. I had no idea how this divergence would be received, and thankfully it seems most of you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed translating it. I would have given up long ago if not for the amazing community this thread has inspired.

If you would like to support me on Patreon, here's the link:
https://www.patreon.com/mackerelcornflake

For those curious about how far we are along in the criminal timeline: I've translated approximately 30 pages, with only about 20 pages left before we reach the ending. If I keep up the pace we might finished the entire criminal timeline before the end of the year.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

To commemorate this thread milestone, have some comics!

The comment on Tohru's tablet is so low res I can't really make sense of it. If y'all have any clue what it is I'll update the art.

edit: changed the art on the tablet. Thanks for the translation assist, Brother Make!

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He goes to sleep and wakes up tired. It turns out the whole Enami subplot was just a dream!