Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nope. Biocatalysts and Aerogels count as the second input.

And you can use them recursively for a boost on their own facilities but it costs a giant pile of of upkeep for a relatively small boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I also thought that when I first got into the Tundra stuff, but doing it that way would basically require players to produce enough gel/catalyst to fuel every step of a production chain just to use the feature.

Or, at least, that’s what I figured when I worked out that inputs didn’t increase. Would kind of be a lovely way to build a new bonus-production feature but that’s never stopped that kind of thing from happening.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Given Ubisoft's ridiculous comment that players are too stupid to understand NFT's, what are folks planning to do about the next Season pass? I think I'm going to skip it, even though I had planned to buy it.

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-nft-quartz-digits-ghost-recon-assassins-creed-p-1848437476

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’m far more likely to pass or wait on it due to being unemployed than due to being insulted that a company doesn’t think I’m smart enough to understand the apes.

I sort of reflexively treat everyone trying to push NFTs as if they have already told on themselves and thus nothing they say can be insulting to me, coming from someone who’s already so humiliated.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Tempting as it is to find 49 biocatalysts to fuel one of these for a food design workshop, I think I'll start by spamming these in the arctic. Maybe spare some for wine in the temperate zone.

It works on replicators, too. Those are biotech. :getin:

It's one of the three things biocatalyst and aerogel really make sense for:

1. Mines and coastal sites in the extreme late game, when you're actually running out of those.
2. Production facilities with a huge footprint, to save space.
3. End-of-chain production facilities that require highly expensive or otherwise painful precursor materials. Biocatalyst and aerogel are a lot cheaper to produce than diamond prisms or fusion cells, for two obvious ones.

Also, give biocatalyst and aerogel factories all the drone hives. Workforce is by far the most painful part about them.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 30, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Magni posted:

It works on replicators, too. Those are biotech. :getin:

Duly noted! Alas, I'm recording ahead for the LP and called it an update after unlocking the first version which is agriculture-only and I wanted to show them off immediately. Definitely something for the future, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Anno 2205 chat made me pick up an old savegame to 'complete' the game. (Wrap up sector projects + try to max out company rank.)
And it's nice to see that the cross-dlc-feedback loops are as ridiculous as ever. (Trading Floors only need like 15 Synthetic residences to grant +20 upgrade permissions, for example.)
Synthetics take the kinda-lackluster energy-from-residents to a ridiculous point, but it's still kinda weak considering you can just make fusion powerplants have free upkeep anyhow once you've hit market domination.

But it really seems like I'm going to have to fill up the entire region wall-to-wall with synthetic residences to hit level 250, if that is the max.

e: God, I forgot.
Your mega, multinational company can build sprawling moon colonies with thousands of workers, supplying possibly billions with clean fusion energy.
But removing some of the big boulders on the tundra map, so that you can utilize the space fully? That's absurd.
It's such a petty 'gently caress you'.

It's especially odd because it's the only map where you have random small debris blocking your buildings, otherwise you're only really limited by larger landmass features and craters/etc.

e: Yeah, nah. I thought the max would be like lvl 250, but it looks like it's probably 300 or more, and probably 10 million++ pop. I can't be assed to do that.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 30, 2022

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Given Ubisoft's ridiculous comment that players are too stupid to understand NFT's, what are folks planning to do about the next Season pass? I think I'm going to skip it, even though I had planned to buy it.

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-nft-quartz-digits-ghost-recon-assassins-creed-p-1848437476

As someone who is involved in making and selling "art" NFTs, NFTs are a scam and anyone who thinks they "understand" NFTs doesn't (and that's by design). gently caress corporate dicksucks for pushing NFTs into videogames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzup7XDyq8 this summarizes my thoughts on NFTs in games.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

yeah I like NFTs: Not loving Talking about nfts

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

2205 continues to be really pretty.

I also picked up Per Aspera this weekend. I haven't gotten far in it yet, but it seems like a fairly basic Anno-like, about halfway between Anno and Surviving Mars. Looking forward to how this changes once I unlock terraforming, which seems to be the main objective of the game.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've enjoyed the heck out of Anno 1800- what are other good ones in the series? From what I understand, none of the others have anything like the production statistics screen? I can't quite imagine playing Anno without that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've enjoyed the heck out of Anno 1800- what are other good ones in the series? From what I understand, none of the others have anything like the production statistics screen? I can't quite imagine playing Anno without that.

2205 has that screen, but it's a window you can pop open in the main UI.

Grogs complained that it made the series too dumbed down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

At which point 1800 was released without it and the rest of the community said "Hey, shut up, we actually liked that!" The devs noticed that was a far larger part of the community and re-reversed courses to add the statistics screens.

But yeah, 1404/2070 and older games do kind of require you to eyeball it or find an online calculator.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There are many online calculators for the other games but they do take more work to use. Fortunately for me I've yet to get to 5,000 investors so there's still more game for me to play.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
1404 is definitely Best of the Rest when it comes to the historical games. I’m not a fan of the sci-fi ones, but ymmv

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I believe 2070 has the Statistics Center/re, but you have to build it, and remember where it is to open the menu.
Which you could unlock via a dlc, or completing one of the rotating scenarios. ( I miss those, it was fun having a rotating chain of 3 escalating scenarios that'd unlock some extra stuff when you beat them.)
But it does mean that if you don't have the additional tiny dlc to unlock it, or did that scenario, you wouldn't have access to statistics. :v:

I can't remember if it actually gives you hard usage/production numbers, or just general stats about production though.

I really wish they'd update 2070 with some of the 1800 bells and whistles. (Production screen, moving buildings, and blueprint tool would be nice.)
They updated 1404 with the historic edition, really hope 2070 gets a futuric edition sometime in the coming years.

Cythereal posted:

I feel people in general liked that though, the dumbed down complaints stemmed from the general change in game design to make it be as static+simplified as possible, to accommodate the shift to supporting multiple regions.
The biggest complaint I remember was people disliking the combo of losing campaign vs sandbox modes, losing on-map combat and npcs, losing scenarios, and losing multiplayer. And a pool of a few, static, maps.

The whole 'production and economy update instantly' aspect of it was purely so that they could drop simulating goods moving around, so that running a map in the background barely took any resources.
It's engine & design issues they've figured out since then, though.

It would be kinda neat if they did a 2205.5 where they redid 2205 with 1800 mechanics and stylings. I'd pay for that.
1-2 temperate sessions, 1 arctic session, 1 moon session, all the giant islands rammed into giant maps with a couple smaller ones around.
Moon buggy pirates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

It would be kinda neat if they did a 2205.5 where they redid 2205 with 1800 mechanics and stylings. I'd pay for that.
1-2 temperate sessions, 1 arctic session, 1 moon session, all the giant islands rammed into giant maps with a couple smaller ones around.
Moon buggy pirates.

Only if it was optional. All this sounds incredibly tedious and unfun to me.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Even the moon buggy pirates? But yeah, my thought was a a rerelease type thing, not a patch.
Either way the game could benefit from blueprinting and copy/paste.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

Even the moon buggy pirates? But yeah, my thought was a a rerelease type thing, not a patch.
Either way the game could benefit from blueprinting and copy/paste.

I like combat to keep to its own little minigame where I can safely ignore its existence unless I'm specifically in the mood for it.

I do like 2205's crisis sectors, but God do I hate sector invasions.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
2250, and make it about building an actual full-blown moon city or space colony (or Mars colony?) as the centerpiece instead of treating the space sectors as glorified resource colonies.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Honestly, I liked how 1404 had the map split into the Occident and Orient. The system in 1800 is totally fine too and allows for way more islands but I did enjoy having everything on one screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This calamity is trivial to deal with, but it sure looks intimidating.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've just hit a bug that's broken the Kinngait Protectorate sector project in 2205. I'm in phase three, step two, using a drone to destroy two ships. Except... the ships fired on and destroyed the drone. Now the drone is gone and I can't do anything about the ships. Rebooting the game did not help.

Anyone know if there's something I can do?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Anyone know if there's something I can do?

Call in your fleet, it's the icon in the bottom left. Same one used for invasions if you have those on.
I hit the exact same thing the last time I played. I think I ended up just satellite-nuking them for the annoyance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

Call in your fleet, it's the icon in the bottom left. Same one used for invasions if you have those on.
I hit the exact same thing the last time I played. I think I ended up just satellite-nuking them for the annoyance.

Neat, thanks! Didn't think to try that, obviously.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cythereal posted:

I also picked up Per Aspera this weekend. I haven't gotten far in it yet, but it seems like a fairly basic Anno-like, about halfway between Anno and Surviving Mars. Looking forward to how this changes once I unlock terraforming, which seems to be the main objective of the game.

PA goes real weird real fast once you get ~30% of the way through. Complete tonal shift that comes out of nowhere which you'll either love or hate.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Rynoto posted:

PA goes real weird real fast once you get ~30% of the way through. Complete tonal shift that comes out of nowhere which you'll either love or hate.

From my impression of Cynthereal in the thread, I imagine when they hit that point of the game their feelings on the game probably soured pretty quick.
Especially since it can be surprisingly brutal, I remember quickly hitting a death spiral in my first run of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

From my impression of Cynthereal in the thread, I imagine when they hit that point of the game their feelings on the game probably soured pretty quick.
Especially since it can be surprisingly brutal, I remember quickly hitting a death spiral in my first run of the game.

Alas, I've chosen to stop Per Aspera while I'm still working on my Anno 2205 LP. I'm strongly tempted to LP Per Aspera mostly blind.

What I like is sitting back, relaxing, and quietly building. I know there's combat in Per Aspera, but I'm hoping it's easily ignored.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Next DLC drop for 1800 is likely on the 29th:

https://twitter.com/ANNO_EN/status/1503780824268877824

Check the numbers in the visor. The Anno crew are being rather tight lipped besides giggling at their teasing on the Anno Reddit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Alkydere posted:

Next DLC drop for 1800 is likely on the 29th:

https://twitter.com/ANNO_EN/status/1503780824268877824

Check the numbers in the visor. The Anno crew are being rather tight lipped besides giggling at their teasing on the Anno Reddit.

Do we know what it gonna be in the DLC? I haven't kept up with anno lately.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Nah, this'll likely be them announcing the season pass dlcs, giving an overview of what to expect from each, and poooooosssssibly rolling out the first one at the same time.
We don't really know anything other than there being another season of DLC.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Urgh, this game does not need another load of DLC, there are already more than enough plates to juggle. Hopefully at least one update is a performance improvement update.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

All we know about the Season 4 DLCs is they're focusing on the New World the same way Season 3 focused on the Old World.

Radiation Cow posted:

Urgh, this game does not need another load of DLC, there are already more than enough plates to juggle. Hopefully at least one update is a performance improvement update.

Season 2: "Ah, they're probably done they had a good run"

Season 3: "Okay this was awesome but they're likely done."

Season 4: "P-please be done?"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm almost certain I'm going to pass on this. The previous seasons I bought without a second thought but it's just too much at this point. The last DLC that dropped I couldn't even be bothered to play it more than an hour or two.

Let's take what you learned from this and start your next game already.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It would be nice if they announce the next title at Gamescom this year, otherwise it'll probably be a good while until the next one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Alkydere posted:

All we know about the Season 4 DLCs is they're focusing on the New World the same way Season 3 focused on the Old World.

Season 2: "Ah, they're probably done they had a good run"

Season 3: "Okay this was awesome but they're likely done."

Season 4: "P-please be done?"

Yah I would enjoy the arctic/enbesa/trelawney a whole lot more if they were the only other session to worry about besides the new world, but 5 sessions is too dang many!! I'm thinking of doing my next game with the arctic/enbesa turned off and just focusing on the old/new world. I find Enbesa particularly overwhelming-the arctic is small and simple and superfluous enough to basically ignore once you get it up and running. Do you need anything from those other sessions to build skyscrapers or is that all new/old world?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yah I would enjoy the arctic/enbesa/trelawney a whole lot more if they were the only other session to worry about besides the new world, but 5 sessions is too dang many!! I'm thinking of doing my next game with the arctic/enbesa turned off and just focusing on the old/new world. I find Enbesa particularly overwhelming-the arctic is small and simple and superfluous enough to basically ignore once you get it up and running. Do you need anything from those other sessions to build skyscrapers or is that all new/old world?

Don't you need a bunch of enbesa stuff for scholars

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Agean90 posted:

Don't you need a bunch of enbesa stuff for scholars

Yeah but I find scholars kind of the pinnacle of overwhelming, and you can docklands most (all?) of it in.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I never do the artic, so tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I still think they (or modders) really need to do a big map version with the different sessions just being in the corners of the map, like how 1440 split it. I would enjoy that way more, especially if they fit all the various merchants in. I don’t care if that map is giant and the UI a mess I would still likely enjoy that more than I do sessions, especially with Trelawney being an entirely different old world map from your start and all the NPCs :argh:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 17, 2022