Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I'm sorry he did what to a squirrel?

Country boys make do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hollismason posted:

I'm sorry he did what to a squirrel?

Sid traveled around with a pet squirrel because, well, of course he did. As the legend goes, one day the guys in the locker room dared him to put the squirrel down his pants for a certain amount of time. Sid did so and the squirrel bit and clawed at some vital bits of him, which ultimately didn't end well for the squirrel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lol of course he did.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Anytime Sid comes up i know that gif of his leg snapping in god drat half is getting posted and quoted for pages, i've seen legs snap but that was the snappiest leg snap that ever snapped

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Post the leg break.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Do NOT post the leg break

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jonny Nox posted:

IT'S WHAT I DO TO GET READY FOR MY MATCH

I will not post that video

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jonny Nox posted:

Post it

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I am not posting the leg break

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna post the leg break :twisted:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Cubone posted:

I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna post the leg break :twisted:

Don't you dare do it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just Google it for poo poo's sake

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

TheSwizzler posted:

Then there's the horrible broken leg incident where he tried to do a big boot off the top rope, ended up shattering his tibia live on PPV. The clip is widely available online but is :nms: as hell, his leg just folds over halfway up his shin
I've seen this clip possibly hundreds of times over the decades and it does NOT get any easier to watch.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Luckily, he got better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTTiQ6K_kbE

In true Sid fashion, however, he missed his cue.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I always thought that Sid was the most athletic looking big man ever but Christ he looks 100 years old in that clip.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Kid me thought Sid was the poo poo, heel or face. Just this huge unpredictable dude doing power moves and loving poo poo up. He didn't have to have exciting matches or good mic skills or common sense, he just had a ton of natural charisma and presence

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sid Eudy was never going to be on the Mount Rushmore of wrestling, but he's a very decorated name in the business. He was world champion in WWF and WCW multiple times. He was a member of the Four Horsemen. He main-evented WrestleMania twice. He's one of the very, very few wrestlers to have a singles win over both Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

He's also a total galoot. There's no better description of the guy. He's a galoot. His career is littered with ridiculous stories that just paint a picture at how bonkers wrestling really is.

Rather than go over his entire career, I'm just going to tell screwy stories about Sid in loose chronological order.

ROBOCOP IN WCW

In 1990, there was a feud going on where Lex Luger and Sting were dealing with the Four Horsemen. Sid was introduced as the Four Horsemen's new muscle due to him basically being a constantly-wet Brock Samson. The main event of the PPV Capitol Combat was Luger vs. Flair in a cage and although Luger had Sting watching his back, they needed more help.

They needed RoboCop.

RoboCop 2 was coming out and this was WCW capitalizing on it because sure, why not. RoboCop himself would come to the PPV, which is weird, since RoboCop is supposed to be from the future.

At one point in the show, Sting came out to the arena and was attacked by the Four Horsemen. They beat him up and locked him into a smaller cage to keep him out of their business. Suddenly, RoboCop marched out and intimidated the heels with his slow walking. As Sid screamed his face red at the cyborg, RoboCop tore the bars open and freed Sting.

Alex Murphy didn't stick around for the main event, but that's okay, as Sting just got help from a debuting El Gigante. He was even LESS mobile than RoboCop.

THE SQUEEGEE INCIDENT

I was going to talk about Sid's match against the Nightstalker (Brian Clark/Adam Bomb/Wrath), considered the worst wrestling match of 1990, but there's not much to talk about other than two large, bad wrestlers did large, bad wrestling.

One Sid match that is of interest is War Games, a team warfare match that takes place in two rings surrounded by a roofed cage. In 1991, Sid represented the Four Horsemen and got into it with Brian Pillman. The two genuinely hated each other and Sid decided to gently caress him up with a powerbomb. Only with there being a roof on the cage and Sid being so tall, he purposely slammed Pillman's head into the roof and knocked him out.

Months later, Sid went from WCW to WWF and was given a massive push immediately. He was brought in to be the referee in a handicap match between Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior and Sgt. Slaughter with his Iraq-loving henchmen. This match is notable because earlier in the night, Warrior demanded more money from Vince or he wouldn't perform. Vince ponied up, but towards the end of the match, as Warrior chased Slaughter's partners to the back with a chair in hand, Vince was there to meet him and fire him.

To keep fans' minds off Warrior's existence, after Hogan won the match, he beckoned Sid to come to the ring and pose with him. The other "main event" of the show was Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth getting married. In the reception aftermath (taped for later), Savage was attacked by the Undertaker and Jake Roberts, only for Sid Justice to come to his rescue.

So yeah, this company was serious about Sid. Too bad he tore his bicep a few months later.

Shortly after that injury, he ended up in a bar with some traveling WCW folk. Sid got drunk and boasted about how much better WWF was compared to WCW and how much money he was making. Mike Graham and Brian Pillman were not happy with this and had words with him. Pillman wanted to kick his rear end and Sid quietly backed off, as his arm was too messed up to get in a real fight.

Sid came back armed with a squeegee, ready to throw down. The everyone in the bar laughed their asses off at this attempt at a weapon and Graham immediately yanked it out of his hand. Once again, Sid cheesed it.

HOGAN'S THE GOOD GUY?

The 1992 Royal Rumble is considered by many to be one of, if not the, best Rumble match. As the WWF Championship had been vacated, the title was up for grabs in this match. Sid made his big return and fought alongside established buddy Hogan. Also, hated heel Ric Flair entered the match at #3 and lasted a full hour despite taking all sorts of punishment.

In the end, Sid eliminated Hogan fair and square. It's the same way Hogan had eliminated his own allies in previous years. The fans cheered this. Hogan proceeded to throw a gigantic hissy-fit over this, grabbed Sid's arm, and helped Flair win the match. The fans booed this. There was nothing in this that made Hogan likeable, but he was still supposed to be the face.

Backstage, Hogan complained to Vince for putting him in this position. In later airings of the incident on WWF shows, the audio was changed so that Sid was booed for throwing out Hogan and Hogan was cheered for getting his revenge.

The story led to the two of them facing off at WrestleMania 8. It was strange, as a lot of the time, Sid's behavior was justified. Like Sid apologized for his actions and the two were put in a tag match against Undertaker and Flair. In the pre-match, every time Sid tried to start a promo, Hogan would completely drown him out with his own promo over and over again. Of course Sid would leave Hogan mid-match to fend for himself. How could you not side with him?

Part of the build for this match involved Sid showing up on the Barbershop, a talk show hosted by Hogan's BFF Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. Sid angrily trashed the place with a chair, leading to a hilarious moment where a can of shaving cream exploded all over his face.

THE END OF HERCULES

Hercules Hernandez was a jacked midcarder who had been in WWF for several years, usually there to lose to guys like Hogan, Warrior, Earthquake, and so on. His career had a breath of fresh air when he started teaming up with Paul Roma as Power and Glory. After getting utterly destroyed by the Legion of Doom at WrestleMania 7, there wasn't much left for that tag team and they soon after split up.

Hercules was floundering and a match against Sid at Madison Square Garden wasn't making him hopeful for the future. The match lasted mere seconds before Sid took Hercules down with a powerbomb. After the pin, Herc gave absolutely zero fucks, got up, and walked right up the ramp. He was done and he wanted everyone to know it.

Funny enough, there really was something to him being partnered with Roma. A few years later, Roma was in WCW. They tried to make him part of the Four Horsemen, but nobody cared for it. Roma was put in a match against newcomer Alex Wright, who WCW had high hopes for. The frustrated Roma proceeded to no-sell much of Wright's offense and even kicked out of his finisher. On commentary, Heenan outright said, "His career is over." He wasn't wrong, as that was it for Roma.

CHAOS AT WRESTLEMANIA

Sid's contract claimed that he would get a WrestleMania main event, so even though this was just a regular singles match, it ended up closing the show instead of Savage challenging Flair for the title. As the match reached its end, evil voodoo priest Papa Shango was supposed to come out and interfere. Why? I don't know. Papa Shango had zero connection to Sid and Hogan going into the show.

Also, Shango missed his cue.

Hogan hit the leg drop on Sid and went for the pin. Since Shango was supposed to break up the pin and he was nowhere to be seen, Sid did the unthinkable and kicked out of one of the most protected moves of the era. His manager Harvey Whippleman then hopped up on the ring apron and the referee decided to just call the match due to disqualification.

Because that tiny guy was jumping and yelling. Great reason to end the final match of the year's biggest show.

Papa Shango finally showed up and put the boots to Hogan. Then the Ultimate Warrior's theme started playing and the Warrior – not seen since being fired at SummerSlam – raced to the ring to chase off Shango and Sid. Due to Warrior having different muscle definition, a different haircut, and different facepaint, there were widespread rumors that the original Warrior had died in a car crash and this was a completely different guy. It was the same dude, but it's funny how that idea spread in the pre-internet days.

Hogan was going to take time off from wrestling, so Warrior was going to fill his shoes. For the next couple weeks, promos would air to hype up the feud between Warrior and Sid. Then after two house show matches in one day, Sid decided that he just could not deal with this face-painted rear end in a top hat and walked out of the company.

Warrior then pivoted to a feud with Papa Shango that involved secreting black goo from his forehead and puking from voodoo curses.

Up next: stormtroopers, beach movies, and a phantom title reign.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

TheSwizzler posted:

Kid me thought Sid was the poo poo, heel or face. Just this huge unpredictable dude doing power moves and loving poo poo up. He didn't have to have exciting matches or good mic skills or common sense, he just had a ton of natural charisma and presence

Hell yeah same here. Sid loving owned

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gavok posted:

ROBOCOP IN WCW

You forgot that the guy they put into the Robosuit was too short for it, so the leg armor plate actually fell off, forcing the actor to awkwardly hold it against his leg.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hell yeah same here. Sid loving owned

It's crazy, he didn't really have to do much of anything, just kinda show up and look intense, "Awww shiiiit, It's Sid!"

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I always sorta made the association between Sid and Brock Samson in my head but didn't know the character was a directly inspired parody til now

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chucky the killer doll once cut a promo on Scott Steiner on an episode of Nitro

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

chucky the killer doll once cut a promo on Scott Steiner on an episode of Nitro

If thats the one where he (Chucky) was talking poo poo and then said something like "watch my new movie" somewhere in there, I saw it on tv when it was live, or broadcast or whatever, and I can tell you that everyone there, my cousin, two of my brothers and maybe a couple other people pretty much instantly agreed that that was the worst thing we had ever seen.

E: yup, gently caress was that awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1DHgdVKeE

Comments are turned off. Gee I wonder why.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 18, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

wesleywillis posted:

If thats the one where he (Chucky) was talking poo poo and then said something like "watch my new movie" somewhere in there, I saw it on tv when it was live, or broadcast or whatever, and I can tell you that everyone there, my cousin, two of my brothers and maybe a couple other people pretty much instantly agreed that that was the worst thing we had ever seen.

E: yup, gently caress was that awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1DHgdVKeE

Comments are turned off. Gee I wonder why.

This is amazing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sid was cool, in the "big man done right" sense, unlike Great Khali or (don't laugh!) Giant Gonzales/El Gigante). Gonzales was horrendous.

Gavok posted:

ROBOCOP IN WCW
This is up there on the "dumb poo poo you wouldn't believe happened" list, and it's entirely surreal. Jim Ross -- Jim loving Ross!! -- was almost lost for words due to how ridiculous it all was, and Sting recoils with embarrassment at the mention of it. The most baffling thing about this nonsense? That's apparently Peter Weller himself in the costume, although it's unconfirmed. Hell, if I was Peter Weller I wouldn't want to confirm it either.

Ted Turner clearly gave no fucks and just wanted to see this weird poo poo happen, cost be damned.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they couldnt get peter weller for robocop 3 there was no way they were getting him for WCW lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That wasn't Peter Weller

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they couldnt get peter weller for robocop 3 there was no way they were getting him for WCW lol
I don't believe it's him either but if anyone was going to have enough money to make something that ridiculous happen in 1990, it would have been Ted Turner.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Peter Weller now has a PhD in European Art History and does lectures and presentations on the topic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Peter Weller now has a PhD in European Art History and does lectures and presentations on the topic

i don't think you need a PhD to talk about robocop and pro wrestling

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 18, 2022

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chucky recently did a promo on Bron Breakker, Rick's son, and it also sucked. Some things never change.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Sting recoils with embarrassment at the mention of it.

https://twitter.com/Sting/status/1258124169524305921

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i don't think you need a PhD to talk about robocop and pro wrestling

Pro wrestling is legitimately, unironically better art than a bunch of stupid old euro trash sculptures and paintings or whatever

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Unearthing and translating an ancient inscription... it says, "AM I loving GOING OVER?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Surprise RoboCop is always a pop culture classic.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Hollismason posted:

Post the leg break.

I will NOT post the leg break, but I WILL post the brain break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340FMdHj24c

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

I will NOT post the leg break, but I WILL post the brain break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340FMdHj24c

Hall literally cannot contain his laughter. That might be the most kayfabe breaking laugh I’ve ever seen. And Sid has this look like, “Welp, gently caress. I just said that on national television.”

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah Sid loving owned for exactly that kinda poo poo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just remembered this but didn't Warrior and Lowtax/Leonard Crabs have some kind of internet feud way back?

Also, I'm enjoying these long write ups a lot but am confused about something. The way the writer(s) describe the matches reads like the outcome is almost always in doubt and that there is actually some level of skill and competition determining who wins and loses. Is that just for narrative effect or do the guys often decide in match who's going to take the loss, how, who's going to interfere, etc?

Are any of these matches really determined by moves and how much actual damage wrestlers inflict? I mean, besides obvious things like injuries. I know that a lot of times they'll whisper or signal to each other "suplex, arm bar" or whatever but I always thought that matches were like 95% a kind of choreographed dance. Is that not true?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

BiggerBoat posted:

I just remembered this but didn't Warrior and Lowtax/Leonard Crabs have some kind of internet feud way back?

Also, I'm enjoying these long write ups a lot but am confused about something. The way the writer(s) describe the matches reads like the outcome is almost always in doubt and that there is actually some level of skill and competition determining who wins and loses. Is that just for narrative effect or do the guys often decide in match who's going to take the loss, how, who's going to interfere, etc?

Are any of these matches really determined by moves and how much actual damage wrestlers inflict? I mean, besides obvious things like injuries. I know that a lot of times they'll whisper or signal to each other "suplex, arm bar" or whatever but I always thought that matches were like 95% a kind of choreographed dance. Is that not true?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.

they always know who’s going to win or lose, with the exception of stuff like Montreal screw job, and I think the amount of how strict the choreographing is during the actual match is down to the wrestlers and their skill level / preferences.

Certain wrestlers are known to be very skilled and good at “carrying” wrestlers who are not good at wrestling, and making the crappy wrestlers look good.

Some wrestlers are “let’s call it in the ring” type wrestlers and some will apparently chase their opponents down with pages of step by step notes (DDP)