Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

I’ve had FSD beta for several months and I’ve died like, 20 times.

I mean it works until it doesn’t. That’s kinda the whole thing about it an unregulated beta nightmare on public roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Loucks posted:

He might be right that with enough data you can simulate a human driver, but the caveat there is that human drivers are awful at making decisions. I wouldn't trust my life to a system only as good as I am at driving.

Past a certain point more data makes models worse, not better. It’s not simply a issue of insufficient data, it’s an issue of the tools not being appropriate for solving the problem.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't give a poo poo about non-highway driver assists/"FSD" but driving to yellowstone and back with L2 ADAS was incredible. It's really, really good in that scenario and I wish they would just focus on that instead of their robotaxi investor storytelling.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody knows because the sort of generalized NN capable that he’s talking about that is capable of performing very complex tasks and maintaining enough stateful information about the environment to drive at least as well as an attentive human is a complete pipe dream.

This is all build on the fundamental flawed premise that neural nets are basically brains (they aren’t), cameras are basically eyes (they aren’t), and all humans use to drive a car is their brains and eyes (we have other important senses).

But yes, expect them to keep throwing ever more powerful GPUs into the cars to keep the treadmill going.

Basically what Tesla is going for is extremely capable obstacle avoidance as if humans drive by just attempting to not run into obstacles that appear in their path, be it another car, a person, a bollard or sidewalk. That is not at all how humans drive, or at least our current understanding. As I understand it, the prevailing theory is humans don't "see" at all, we have an incredibly complex model in our head of how we expect the world to work and our senses just kind of update it. It why people suffer from weird things like face blindness, we aren't "seeing" a face, we are seeing a complex person and making a bunch of assumptions on how they look, how they are supposed to look, how they act, if they are acting in a way we don't expect, and understanding of their motivations, etc.

Like, it's not enough to see another car and maybe recognize that it is on fire, you need to understand how and why things go on fire, what the complex outlying effects of a fire are how you expect the fire to act.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guess who put in a deposit on a EV6 and might be getting it tomorrow?

Trying to sell my car now and honestly this whole carvana thing is freaking me out. They offered me close to 4K over the dealer (which, to be fair, was a lowball number) but they haven’t asked for anything other than proof of ownership. Now I can just schedule someone to pick up the car, do a quick inspection, and get paid? Seriously? This isn’t somehow going to bite me in the rear end? Is this just pissing away venture capital money? Carmax offered me 2.5k over dealer and it’s local so I can always fall back on that if carvana doesn’t work out.

If anyone has any input on this I'm also curious since Carvana is offering me a ridiculous amount for my Leaf

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Antillie posted:

If its really that hard to make FSD work I'm glad I didn't waste $10,000 on it.

I just pay some guy that owes his bookie 8 bucks to self drive me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trying to sell my car now and honestly this whole carvana thing is freaking me out.
Yeah, you drop the car info online, say you want to sell for the price they give you, then scan a copy of the registration, your DL, and the pink slip if you have it. Maybe a picture of the odometer, too.

Some person meets up with you and they do a quick check of the car, you sign some documents, fill out a DMV Tra safer form and get your crash deposited to your account.

Once you sign the car over it's not your responsibility so if a crackhead runs into it and explodes before their truck pi KS it up you're golden.

It's unbelievably worry free. I've sold two cars to them and it was beautiful every time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, you drop the car info online, say you want to sell for the price they give you, then scan a copy of the registration, your DL, and the pink slip if you have it. Maybe a picture of the odometer, too.

Some person meets up with you and they do a quick check of the car, you sign some documents, fill out a DMV Tra safer form and get your crash deposited to your account.

Once you sign the car over it's not your responsibility so if a crackhead runs into it and explodes before their truck pi KS it up you're golden.

It's unbelievably worry free. I've sold two cars to them and it was beautiful every time.

Good to known! I went ahead with the sale and they’re scheduled to pick up on Saturday. I just got the title today and have everything ready so it’s a waiting game and hoping the EV6 gets here before then. Just wild how easy selling a car can be?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Like, what are the standards of the car being in good operation? I'm thinking about Carvana for my i3 when my Mach-E comes in, it's been basically been completely free of worries, but I suspect that battery might need warranty replacement, I've had a couple of check drive train errors that have self-cleared but all my research has said it just means there is a tiny bit of voltage leak due to condensation in the HV lines, the procedure is literally let the cables dry out completely and the mirror sometimes makes a weird sound when they retract, but not always, and it's still functional. Oh and sometimes the radio cuts out but I am almost positive that is signal interference and not the car.

I have a $500 deductible warranty, in theory for $500 I could have anything fixed before trading it in, it's not been anything that has worried me enough to fix for the low cost of $500, but I don't want it to pop a drivetrain error at some point and be accused of not fully disclosing it's condition, i3s just pop drivetrain errors sometimes, it's really only an issue if it is persistent or doesn't go away on its own.

Also, what are the rules on accessories? i3 cup holders are in high demand, the floor mat in the front probably needs replacement and the mobile charger. They are all technically accessories even though they come with the car, like, I didn't get the tire inflator kit with mine and it's an accessory.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If I punch my VIN into carvana/shift/whatever just to check what the offer would be, but without intending to actually sell (unless it's a really bonkers amount), will I get a bunch of emails and phone calls and poo poo hounding me to go through with it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wayne Knight posted:

If I punch my VIN into carvana/shift/whatever just to check what the offer would be, but without intending to actually sell (unless it's a really bonkers amount), will I get a bunch of emails and phone calls and poo poo hounding me to go through with it?

I’ve recent went through the whole process with Carvana including uploading pics of the title and stuff, but am waiting on a death certificate, and I’ve gotten zero calls, zero texts, and maybe three emails?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Vroom sent a couple of followup e-mails and Driveway called a few times before texting to ask if I was still interested in selling. Looks like Carvana stopped sending any e-mails about estimates I've done since September.

They all paled in comparison to Carmax who is going out of their mind lately with their offers for my '14 Fusion Hybrid which is only amplifying the anticipation of my imminent Maverick delivery.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

Wasn't this in response to BMW saying they'll have full level 3 self driving by mid 2025 and Musk was basically lol sure good luck with that.

I mean, if anyone on the planet knows about failing to achieve your self imposed FSD timeline it’s Elon Musk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

I hosed up when going through Kelly blue book and picked the wrong option and had like 5 local dealers hound me about my cars for a week.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Three Olives posted:

Like, what are the standards of the car being in good operation? I'm thinking about Carvana for my i3 when my Mach-E comes in, it's been basically been completely free of worries, but I suspect that battery might need warranty replacement, I've had a couple of check drive train errors that have self-cleared but all my research has said it just means there is a tiny bit of voltage leak due to condensation in the HV lines, the procedure is literally let the cables dry out completely and the mirror sometimes makes a weird sound when they retract, but not always, and it's still functional. Oh and sometimes the radio cuts out but I am almost positive that is signal interference and not the car.

I have a $500 deductible warranty, in theory for $500 I could have anything fixed before trading it in, it's not been anything that has worried me enough to fix for the low cost of $500, but I don't want it to pop a drivetrain error at some point and be accused of not fully disclosing it's condition, i3s just pop drivetrain errors sometimes, it's really only an issue if it is persistent or doesn't go away on its own.

Also, what are the rules on accessories? i3 cup holders are in high demand, the floor mat in the front probably needs replacement and the mobile charger. They are all technically accessories even though they come with the car, like, I didn't get the tire inflator kit with mine and it's an accessory.

They make sure it turns on and doesn't have warning lights. I doubt they'd want the charger, but you probably have to leave the cup holder (how is the cup holder an accessory?)

We sold a car to them a few months ago. Was painless.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Citizen Z posted:

They make sure it turns on and doesn't have warning lights. I doubt they'd want the charger, but you probably have to leave the cup holder (how is the cup holder an accessory?)

We sold a car to them a few months ago. Was painless.

You think people buying EVs don’t want to get the charger that came with the car?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Citizen Z posted:

(how is the cup holder an accessory?)

If it weren't already apparent, i3 are weird. There are three slots that accept cupholders in addition to the one built in cupholder. They pop out and are sold separately, so lower trims only came with one cup holder, higher trims came with two and you had the option of buying a 2nd or 3rd cup holder for either of the trims or removing them all together if you don't have beverages in your car.

Also does a service due light count as a warning light? It's due for a brake line flush and a "inspection", but those are just maintenance items not "problems".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Exciting, the electrician got all the parts in and is going to install my charger (Chargepoint home flex) tomorrow or monday! This is with a 60A breaker (48A continuous).

Now just need the car, lol. And also to clear out all the crap in the garage so I can park it in there.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

bird with big dick posted:

You think people buying EVs don’t want to get the charger that came with the car?

I bought an EV6. Everyone should feel my charger pain.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Kia doesn't think so.

e: f/b

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Also does a service due light count as a warning light? It's due for a brake line flush and a "inspection", but those are just maintenance items not "problems".

No, those are treated differently.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So I'm watching the Hummer EV roll out...and watching some dealership drama happen as a result.

Some people aren't on the reservation list for the First Edition are apparently offering 200-300k for one, so there's brokers out there looking for Hummer EV owners that are willing to sell theirs for a huge payout.. in theory, I can't see there being too many buyers willing to do that.

Which is causing a issue with some dealers who want to mark up the trucks over MSRP to cash in. GMC's policy is MSRP only for reserved vehicles, and they have threatened to nuke future corvette/ev allocation to dealers who want to gently caress around and find out. The Hummer rollout got things to a point where there are GMC dealers notifying folks that they are free to transfer their EV reservations without losing their place in line and advertising that they are a no-markup dealership. I haven't seen that before.

I wonder how Ford is going to handle this with the Lightning...

That being said I may have seat time behind a Hummer EV in Moab, UT in a month.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 18, 2022

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Big K of Justice posted:

So I'm watching the Hummer EV roll out...and watching some dealership drama happen as a result.

Some people aren't on the reservation list for the First Edition are apparently offering 200-300k for one, so there's brokers out there looking for Hummer EV owners that are willing to sell theirs for a huge payout.. in theory, I can't see there being too many buyers willing to do that.

Which is causing a issue with some dealers who want to mark up the trucks over MSRP to cash in. GMC's policy is MSRP only for reserved vehicles, and they have threatened to nuke future corvette/ev allocation to dealers who want to gently caress around and find out. The Hummer rollout got things to a point where there are GMC dealers notifying folks that they are free to transfer their EV reservations without losing their place in line and advertising that they are a no-markup dealership. I haven't seen that before.

I wonder how Ford is going to handle this with the Lightning...

That being said I may have seat time behind a Hummer EV in Moab, UT in a month.

When I was getting jerked around on my EV6, the skeeiest of the dealers proclaimed loudly "I run the GM dealership across the street. We're not gonna sell the Hummer for less than 100k over MSRP."

This is the same guy that expected me to bid "At least 15k over MSRP" for the EV6 GT-Line that he wouldn't let me test drive.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Citizen Z posted:

I bought an EV6. Everyone should feel my charger pain.

Yeah but on the road you charge over 5x faster than my Niro ev

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah but on the road you charge over 5x faster than my Niro ev

50kW club (LEAF/Bolt) represent!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Citizen Z posted:

When I was getting jerked around on my EV6, the skeeiest of the dealers proclaimed loudly "I run the GM dealership across the street. We're not gonna sell the Hummer for less than 100k over MSRP."

This is the same guy that expected me to bid "At least 15k over MSRP" for the EV6 GT-Line that he wouldn't let me test drive.

I ended up ordering a Mach-E after test driving one with the exact spec that I wanted at a Ford dealership. I told them I am ready to buy right now, we can get this paperwork done today, but I am not paying $5k over MSRP, dude tried to gaslight me into thinking that 5K on a 50k car was not a 10% markup, told me how nice they were because everyone else was marking it up $7,500-$10,000 and then gaslit me again about not being a serious buyer.

Dude, I can do the math on 50/10 in my head, I'm better off ordering, but not from you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I ended up ordering a Mach-E after test driving one with the exact spec that I wanted at a Ford dealership. I told them I am ready to buy right now, we can get this paperwork done today, but I am not paying $5k over MSRP, dude tried to gaslight me into thinking that 5K on a 50k car was not a 10% markup, told me how nice they were because everyone else was marking it up $7,500-$10,000 and then gaslit me again about not being a serious buyer.

Dude, I can do the math on 50/10 in my head, I'm better off ordering, but not from you.

It sounds like you're just not a very savvy negotiator, unlike that one goon who insisted that they have actually saved tons of money on cars thanks to negotiating at the dealership. This goon was definitely not charged an extra 10% on a line labeled "Idiot Fee"

Seriously if every dealership burned down would anything of value be lost? Maybe some keurig cups, technically, I guess.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cruft posted:

50kW club (LEAF/Bolt) represent!

Oh, he charges 6x faster.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

QuarkJets posted:

It sounds like you're just not a very savvy negotiator, unlike that one goon who insisted that they have actually saved tons of money on cars thanks to negotiating at the dealership. This goon was definitely not charged an extra 10% on a line labeled "Idiot Fee"

Seriously if every dealership burned down would anything of value be lost? Maybe some keurig cups, technically, I guess.

It sounds like he did a fine job of negotiating since he walked out and found a dealer that would offer him the car on the terms he wanted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't actually think they're a bad negotiator, my post was tongue in cheek

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I don't actually think they're a bad negotiator, my post was tongue in cheek

Sure, but there are plenty of people who think that negotiating with a car dealer is like haggling in a Turkish bazaar or something when really it’s as simple as deciding what deal you will accept and being willing to walk out if they don’t match it. The only benefit of dealers is that they don’t have a monopoly on a particular make and model of car, so there’s at least a chance that you can find one that will meet your terms or pit them against each other to force concessions, all of which starts with being willing to walk away.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure, but there are plenty of people who think that negotiating with a car dealer is like haggling in a Turkish bazaar or something when really it’s as simple as deciding what deal you will accept and being willing to walk out if they don’t match it. The only benefit of dealers is that they don’t have a monopoly on a particular make and model of car, so there’s at least a chance that you can find one that will meet your terms or pit them against each other to force concessions, all of which starts with being willing to walk away.

The thing is, I countered at way higher than I probably should have in hindsight, $3,750, knowing that there was a possibly that Ford's tax credit could half before an ordered car was delivered and considering the possibility that the value of my current car would go way down if the market settled down, however unlikely, in the next 6-8 months. They would not budge a penny.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There are some people (like me) for whom "negotiating" is an extremely stressful experience, after which you will never, ever, feel like you did well. Honestly, I would prefer to just be thrown on the floor and kicked repeatedly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know about goons but I keep seeing people on reddit suggest that dealerships can add a lot of value to the transaction without actually explaining how and I'm wondering if they're just salespeople doing a little bit of astroturfing in their downtime.

cruft posted:

There are some people (like me) for whom "negotiating" is an extremely stressful experience, after which you will never, ever, feel like you did well. Honestly, I would prefer to just be thrown on the floor and kicked repeatedly.

Same. I've taken enough psychology courses to know how automotive sales tactics work and enduring them still makes me feel like poo poo because they're *meant* to make you feel that way. Anybody who can lock down a deal over email is fortunate; in my experience many dealerships will refuse to do that.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 18, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't know about goons but I keep seeing people on reddit suggest that dealerships can add a lot of value to the transaction without actually explaining how and I'm wondering if they're just salespeople doing a little bit of astroturfing in their downtime.

pretty much

either that or idiots trying to justify their own bad decision-making

you know, Reddit

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
DeALeRsHiPs AdD a LoT oF VaLuE, I cry, as I spray rustproofing underbody coating (a $5000 value! Yours for an additional $1999) directly up my urethra

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

During car negotiations if you didn’t stand up and shout gently caress this poo poo and storm out at least once it means you got screwed.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

cruft posted:

That's why I was happy to get advice from you all about the EV6 that MSRP+TTL was about as good as was reasonable. So I spammed the phrase "I'll buy a GT-Line at MSRP+TTL" to every dealer I could find until one (luckily local but wasn't on Truecar so I hadn't tried them at first) said "Yeah we never do dealer markup crap" and I got it for what I wanted. The only extra line item they threw on was wheel locks but whatever it was like 60 bucks.

It was so much easier to have the price and stay with it though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

That's why I was happy to get advice from you all about the EV6 that MSRP+TTL was about as good as was reasonable. So I spammed the phrase "I'll buy a GT-Line at MSRP+TTL" to every dealer I could find until one (luckily local but wasn't on Truecar so I hadn't tried them at first) said "Yeah we never do dealer markup crap" and I got it for what I wanted. The only extra line item they threw on was wheel locks but whatever it was like 60 bucks.

It was so much easier to have the price and stay with it though.

https://youtu.be/z5U9QRiY46I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tiny Timbs posted:

inventory, mainly