Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Lungboy posted:

On the P&O thing, apparently the workers are classed as "seafarers" which means their employment rights are very different. No idea how true that is.

I just asked my wife who used to work for a company that staffed the shops on cruise ships (including P&O), you are right.

There's no such thing as the working time directive, or maximum hours etc. Often only working on 3 month contacts at a time. Amongst other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hello friends. Have been chatting with a friend of mine who's planning to study at a uni here in the UK.

Turns out I don't actually understand any loving thing at all about the UK university system (not surprising since I've never studied here).

So, is the following roughly accurate:

- Assume a person with a bachelor's (or master's or whatever) degree from a non-UK university, for example a European uni.
- This person wants to do a bachelor's degree here in the UK, in a UK uni.
- This is not possible. At all. Cannot happen - never will. If you have a degree already, you cannot do a bachelor's degree here in the UK, no matter what. Why? Because gently caress you. Simply not possible.
- The person decides therefore to lie to the UK university people (or whatever authorities) that they only have a secondary school diploma, no degree.
- The UK uni then says "ok, since you have no degree at all, you can do a bachelor's here".
- The person takes out a student loan and studies for 2-3 years or whatever and gets their bachelors.
- This process is totally fraudulent and based on the person lying to the UK uni people. However, lots of people do this all the time, with all kinds of UK universities, and they never get caught. So it's... fine? Like, for some value of fine. Apparently.

Surely I've misunderstood at least one, or hopefully all, of those steps above? Like, surely the system doesn't actually work like this?

Bonus followup question re master's degrees. Assume a variation of the above:

- Person has a bachelor's from a non-UK uni. They decide to tell this to the UK uni.
- UK uni says "ok you can study here, but only to do a master's degree, in that same field". Nothing else is possible, because gently caress you.
- Person says ok cool I'll do a master's. They now have exactly one year to do their master's. If they fall ill or whatever and don't finish in time, they cannot get any extra time or anything, and they also cannot take a break and continue later. If they fail to get their master's within this one year timeline, then gently caress you.

Again, I suspect my friend and I have badly misunderstood something and the system can't actually be this hosed up?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

jaete posted:

the system can't actually be this hosed up?

this might as well be the thread title

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

happyhippy posted:

The P&O ferries were registered to Cyprus in 2019, according to wikipedia.
To a tax haven naturally.
The fix is in!

Purely theoretically, does this mean that it'd be the Cypriot police's problems if the crew of the ferry decided to not let the pretend police on board to evict them, and instead decided to take his ship out to sea in the dead of night?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jaete posted:

Hello friends. Have been chatting with a friend of mine who's planning to study at a uni here in the UK.

Turns out I don't actually understand any loving thing at all about the UK university system (not surprising since I've never studied here).

- Assume a person with a bachelor's (or master's or whatever) degree from a non-UK university, for example a European uni.
- This is not possible. At all. Cannot happen - never will. If you have a degree already, you cannot do a bachelor's degree here in the UK, no matter what. Why? Because gently caress you. Simply not possible.
- The person decides therefore to lie to the UK university people (or whatever authorities) that they only have a secondary school diploma, no degree.
- The UK uni then says "ok, since you have no degree at all, you can do a bachelor's here".
- The person takes out a student loan and studies for 2-3 years or whatever and gets their bachelors.
- This process is totally fraudulent and based on the person lying to the UK uni people. However, lots of people do this all the time, with all kinds of UK universities, and they never get caught. So it's... fine? Like, for some value of fine. Apparently.

Surely I've misunderstood at least one, or hopefully all, of those steps above? Like, surely the system doesn't actually work like this?

- Person has a bachelor's from a non-UK uni. They decide to tell this to the UK uni.
- UK uni says "ok you can study here, but only to do a master's degree, in that same field". Nothing else is possible, because gently caress you.
- Person says ok cool I'll do a master's. They now have exactly one year to do their master's. If they fall ill or whatever and don't finish in time, they cannot get any extra time or anything, and they also cannot take a break and continue later. If they fail to get their master's within this one year timeline, then gently caress you.

Again, I suspect my friend and I have badly misunderstood something and the system can't actually be this hosed up?

This doesn't sound correct. Anyone can do any number of degrees, but you can only get a student loan for one course at each level. On the Masters question it's likely that you can only do a master's in a field related to your undergrad as a Master's is built on the idea that everyone on it has a degree-level understanding of the subject already. That's normal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jaete posted:

I think you and your friend have misunderstood things unless they have changed radically since I was last in the academic system. Bearing in mind I am somewhat out of date:

I'm not totally clear, is your friend an international student (I'm not clear on the situation for EU students to be honest)? In which case student loans from the UK are not available. I think you have to have been resident in UK for a period of time maybe 3 years to count as a non-international student. Fees for international students are usually much higher than for UK students.

If self-funding, then there is no reason on this planet why they can't take a second, third, fourth batchelors degree if they wish (and can afford it and pass whatever relevant tests re ability in the subject the uni might set eg can't do a maths degree without A-level maths or equivalent or some such criteria).

Masters degree, up to you if you want to do 37 of the wretched things (I have 2 plus a handful of post-graduate dips/certs in a few different things, some funded, others self-funding) and can stand the subs, so be it. If from overseas unless from an English-speaking country may need to pass IELTS or equivalent at level 7.

I'm sure there are others on here more close to the current system who may correct me.

Found this article but not sure how old it is and whether the info on EU students is still correct. https://www.pearsonpte.com/articles/uk-student-loans-for-international-students

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 17, 2022

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not totally clear, is your friend an international student (I'm not clear on the situation for EU students to be honest)? In which case student loans from the UK are not available. I think you have to have been resident in UK for a period of time maybe 3 years to count as a non-international student. Fees for international students are usually much higher than for UK students.

Would be a UK resident student.

Thanks both for info. I suspect the "can't do second degree" thing relates to the student loan... so, if you have a bachelor's from a non-UK uni, you can do a bachelor's in a UK uni sure - but can you get a student loan to do that? Or are they gonna say, you already have your (non-UK) bachelor's, no loan for you?

Perhaps that is where the fraud would be, telling the UK uni you don't have a degree (when you do) so you can get a UK student loan?

(Back in Finland I have friends who have multiple degrees, from the same uni, all of which cost them zero since there are no tuition fees, and also no limitations. I suppose stupidly high tuition fees and related student loans would be one big motivation for people to defraud the system...)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah no if you've had one student loan to go to uni here, as far as I know, you can't get another for a second bachelor's.

I'd love to take a second shot at university now that I know about my raging case of ADHD but OH WELL.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jaete posted:

Would be a UK resident student.

Thanks both for info. I suspect the "can't do second degree" thing relates to the student loan... so, if you have a bachelor's from a non-UK uni, you can do a bachelor's in a UK uni sure - but can you get a student loan to do that? Or are they gonna say, you already have your (non-UK) bachelor's, no loan for you?

Perhaps that is where the fraud would be, telling the UK uni you don't have a degree (when you do) so you can get a UK student loan?

(Back in Finland I have friends who have multiple degrees, from the same uni, all of which cost them zero since there are no tuition fees, and also no limitations. I suppose stupidly high tuition fees and related student loans would be one big motivation for people to defraud the system...)

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

quote:

If you’ve studied before

You’ll usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded. You may still be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances and for some courses.

re Finland etc, there are a few countries where there are no fees and tuition is in English which begs the question what is the attraction of the UK (not expecting you to answer or know that!) - also Scotland might have slightly different rules too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
we should rename this the french thread

very anti the uk

probably russian money behind the mods

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I haven't got any if there is. :mad:

Maybe I need to wear an incel hat and go on RT talking about how war happens because the west has genders.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if you think that will get the conomy back on track and wages down and whatever then I'm all for it

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

Yeah no if you've had one student loan to go to uni here, as far as I know, you can't get another for a second bachelor's.

Well this would be a non-UK uni, with no non-UK loan or anything; then now later in the UK (as a resident), doing a "replacement" UK bachelor's or something.

Jaeluni's official info link says: "You’ll usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification". So does "first" mean "first ever anywhere in the world"? Or "first in the UK"?

So I'm thinking "no degree yet, honest guv" could mean "no UK degree yet" which is fine and non-fraudulent; or it could mean "no degree from any place anywhere in the world at all" which would be fraudulent (if you in fact have a non-UK degree). I've no idea which it is.

Apparently a lot of young resident non-UK people are doing the "no degree yet" thing, when they have a (non-UK) degree, so they can get UK student loans and... is this some massive fraudfest or not. (And does any authority actually care. Also: what is going on)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jaete posted:

Well this would be a non-UK uni, with no non-UK loan or anything; then now later in the UK (as a resident), doing a "replacement" UK bachelor's or something.

Jaeluni's official info link says: "You’ll usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification". So does "first" mean "first ever anywhere in the world"? Or "first in the UK"?

So I'm thinking "no degree yet, honest guv" could mean "no UK degree yet" which is fine and non-fraudulent; or it could mean "no degree from any place anywhere in the world at all" which would be fraudulent (if you in fact have a non-UK degree). I've no idea which it is.

Apparently a lot of young resident non-UK people are doing the "no degree yet" thing, when they have a (non-UK) degree, so they can get UK student loans and... is this some massive fraudfest or not. (And does any authority actually care. Also: what is going on)

Sorry I don't know. I would interpret it as 'anywhere' because even if you paid your first degree yourself you're not entitled.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'd seek advice from the university they're applying to, they typically employ someone just to deal with this kind of thing. My probably outdated understanding is that if you have settled status in the UK you can get up to 4 years worth of undergraduate loan funding in England if you haven't previously received funding from SLC England. If they're not applying in England there may be different rules, ask the university.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 18, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jaete posted:

It's first anywhere iirc, they won't give loans to people who already have that level of qualification no matter where you obtained it.

e: I think this might be waived for certain NHS degrees, but not sure.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Not UKMT as such, but a further reminder the world is clown shoes.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1503516528058195974

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that the ship tracker app apparently has status case for "it's hosed mate"

Does flightradar have a thing that tells you whether or not the plane is at the bottom of the ocean or crashed into the pentagon?

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Mechanical mandible fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 25, 2022

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

jaete posted:

I work for student loans and yes this is essentially correct. We have ways and means of doing spot checks for British university courses but unless you declare overseas study we have no way of checking at least at undergraduate level.

You can admit to studying in a non UK university and your degree will be compared to a UK qualification so for example a bellarussian higher degree might be classed as equivalent to a HND and you might get some funding that way but it's a gamble.

And of course you need to meet the standard residency rules of being ordinarily resident in the uk on the first day of the academic year and have been resident in the UK for 3 years (5 years if you're from the EU.)

Can't speak for masters level study as that's a whole different ballgame. And the rules are slightly different in Wales Northern Ireland and Scotland.

And yes the whole system is dumb as gently caress and should be abolished.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I like that the ship tracker app apparently has status case for "it's hosed mate"

Does flightradar have a thing that tells you whether or not the plane is at the bottom of the ocean or crashed into the pentagon?

Sort of - planes can set their squawk code (a 4-octal-digit code they transmit to allow air traffic control to identify them) to one of several "poo poo's hosed" codes. Unfortunately planes have a much narrower window of fuckedness between "everything's fine" and "photo of a burned teddy bear" than ships so there's only three - a generic "I have an emergency", "my radios aren't working", and "I've been hijacked and I hope the bloke with the gun doesn't notice me typing this in".

*Theoretically* the ICAO could expand these to be more descriptive, but there's not many flight crews who are going to remember to change it to 7714, "There appears to be a mountain goat on the side of that cloud" in the moments before they do the aeronautical equivalent of running aground.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An amendment just to discuss the possibility of assisted death for mentally competent terminally ill adults was defeated in the Lords by Conservative peers at the insistence of the government.

This happened in the same week as they announced their intent to recriminalize at home early termination of a pregnancy, returning to the laws that could hand down up to a life sentence for taking a pill in your own home.

This is a very strange moral calculus given that this is the same government that allowed mass deaths during a pandemic for the sake of political economic expediency, and keeps ratcheting down the crushing millstone of austerity and benefits cuts, so it can't be from a position of granting human life some intrinsic value in itself.

It's not nice to assume that some group of people are members of some kind of Baalist cult that worships human suffering as its own end, but I can't even see an economic or neoliberal calculus here, so when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It's not nice to assume that some group of people are members of some kind of Baalist cult that worships human suffering as its own end, but I can't even see an economic or neoliberal calculus here, so when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains...

But you see, the west is built on christian values and we can't have those eroded by the scourge immigration by people of extremely similar but browner values from almost exactly the same part of the world

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some kind of dominionist ideology that treasures all human life even if it means limiting liberty, but provides welfare to do so would at least be consistent, even if it was consistently poo poo. Likewise some kind of libertarian "people can take whatever they want even if it kills them but the government should do nothing about welfare or disease" nonsense would be consistent in shitness.

Most people in the country seem to prefer a middle ground where social level problems like pandemic disease and poverty are solved socially and individual issues like end of life decisions or bodily autonomy are guided decisions with final authority granted to the individual.

This is more like the polar opposite of that, like turning a big dial that says "Human Suffering" on it and not looking back at the audience for approval because nobody other than Jacob Rees-Mogg weirdos wants it and nobody in the press is really talking about it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think there's much question about it at this point, tbh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Maximising the quantity and duration of human life spent in service to Capital, no matter the consequences.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It seems to have gone past the cold mechanical logic of capitalism and into full "We trust the British public to use their own common sense when it comes to a novel virus, but not a pregnancy." derangement.

Government by the people who took the Thatcher dogwhistles at face value, decided that government can only ever make things worse for people, and ran with it.

I suppose we can be thankful that it's not being run as an Evangelical culture war issue like in the US, but that just makes it even more puzzling who it's actually for.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose we can be thankful that it's not being run as an Evangelical culture war issue like in the US, but that just makes it even more puzzling who it's actually for.

My baseless theory is that Boris will let ministers/whoever do whatever they want as long as they support his premiership because he DGAF.

His perceived desire to appear leaderly in a time of crisis - which one might expect would lead to e.g. welcoming Ukrainian refugees with open arms - is overridden by his need to stay in office and let the home office do whatever it wants, one might imagine.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It is an evangelical culture war issue though. The same people are funding the think tanks pushing these policies. They just do it because they can do what they want. The crackpot religious case for it won't fly here and they don't need it when there is no opposition

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well at least with them being issues that disproportionately affect cis women we can expect to hear from the UK's #1 defender of true natal womanhood on this.

Oh, oh no.

Thin end of the wedge indeed.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

domhal posted:

My baseless theory is that Boris will let ministers/whoever do whatever they want as long as they support his premiership because he DGAF.

His perceived desire to appear leaderly in a time of crisis - which one might expect would lead to e.g. welcoming Ukrainian refugees with open arms - is overridden by his need to stay in office and let the home office do whatever it wants, one might imagine.

This; with an added side of ‘deliberately pandering to an older demographic that is typically against the deregulation of abortion, where ‘deregulation’ means ‘making it easier’.

It’s a lot of ‘well in my day it was A Big Deal and we suffered through unwanted pregnancy and people turned out fine’ with a side order of ‘well, people who aren’t ready for children (read: The Lower Classes) should be more responsible’ (and let’s not forget that the privileged classes have always been able to get safe and discreet access to abortion). Never mind that the evidence for those unwanted pregnancies not turning out well is manifest in the fact that it’s produced people who continue to think deregulated abortion is sole kind of crime against humanity.

It’s class war. It masquerades as culture war but it’s absolutely class war.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

I work for student loans

While we have you here would you mind zeroing my student debt?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How dated is the "bbc is left wing" stuff? The 90's?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jippa posted:

How dated is the "bbc is left wing" stuff? The 90's?

I don't think the BBC has ever been left wing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I don't think the BBC has ever been left wing.

There was a time when the "man on the street" might have thought this though. I was trying to place it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"The BBC is left wing" just means that "the BBC is not overtly misogynist, homophobic, and white supremacist enough for me, a common sense individual with a spreadsheet of every advert with a non-white in it."

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/18/mass-sacking-by-p-and-o-ferries-a-new-low-for-shipping-says-union

Labour posted:

This was a despicable assault on workers’ rights. But British seafarers do not need meaningless platitudes – they need action.

Labour posted:

[The] government should claw back taxpayers’ money claimed by DP World, including £10m in furlough payments; suspend its licences to operate until the situation is resolved; and remove it from the government’s transport advisory group.

Very sensible. Thanks, Labour!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The BBC is left wing on some issues and right wing on other issues.

This does not mean it has everything in perfect balance.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It also trends more cosmopolitan and economically soft left than the roiling backwater of hatred that is the British printed press, but sometimes uses that to sneak through spicy 'debates' under the tone of ~reasonableness~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

True, compared to the dead tree press the BBC is a glowing bastion of social liberalism and utopian socialism.