Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty good encapsulation of right wing media there. "BIDEN WON'T DO THE THING HE'S WEAK BIDEN DID THE THING HE'S WEAK"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Also the reason oil companies aren't drilling even though he expanded permits is because he had a bunch of other regulations that made it to costly /difficult? For them to take advantage. Also he banned fracking which is what made America energy independent.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1503002520460972037

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So question semi-related to right wing media. I know Glenn Beck is an idiot and grifter and for years has been predicting the downfall of society so he can shill those MREs. I'm not worried about a complete Mad Max style apocalypse like he's claiming will happen, so no worries there. But I have seen that Ukraine is the source of 10% of the world's grain, or something like that? And combined with climate change and the already existing supply chain issues, I have to ask: how likely is it that we here in the US are going to experience some problems with food supply?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Twelve by Pies posted:

So question semi-related to right wing media. I know Glenn Beck is an idiot and grifter and for years has been predicting the downfall of society so he can shill those MREs. I'm not worried about a complete Mad Max style apocalypse like he's claiming will happen, so no worries there. But I have seen that Ukraine is the source of 10% of the world's grain, or something like that? And combined with climate change and the already existing supply chain issues, I have to ask: how likely is it that we here in the US are going to experience some problems with food supply?

Absolutely not, in fact if anything we're gonna be the ones to fix the grain shortages in affected countries and gain a lot of soft power in the process

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
America could very much un-gently caress food supply issues if dumb poo poo like so much of our corn
going in to making ethanol wasn't happening and a ton of other stuff like that. Outside of extremely acute circumstances the problem with food supply is basically never the lack of food it's the lack of profit when letting people die of starvation makes more money.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

bird food bathtub posted:

America could very much un-gently caress food supply issues if dumb poo poo like so much of our corn
going in to making ethanol wasn't happening and a ton of other stuff like that. Outside of extremely acute circumstances the problem with food supply is basically never the lack of food it's the lack of profit when letting people die of starvation makes more money.

And yeah this, I'm being very optimistic in implying the possibility that infamous supervillain corporation Monsanto would do anything to help with food shortages a continent over even when heavily incentivized

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The worry shouldn't be about whether this will cause food insecurity in the US, it should be whether this causes food insecurity in places like Honduras or El Salvitore and triggers another migration wave for these racist dipshits to try to exploit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention last night I heard some Mark Levin and he had some dumbass right wing historian on who's just written some book about World War II. Anyway they talked a bit about how great Reagan was, and how Reagan was able to single-handedly defeat communism without starting a world war. The historian (I don't remember his name nor do I care) talked about how Reagan was an incredible genius because he was so smart that he knew the way to do it was to win the hearts and minds of the people in those countries, and he did so by funding resistance armies and giving them weapons and money.

And like, he and Levin weren't being vague about it and just glossing over it, Levin specifically mentioned how it was a great strategy in Afghanistan and the historian mentioned repeatedly about how it was so great in Iran. Imagine talking openly in 2022 about how funding the Mujahideen and the loving Contras was genius and why Reagan is one of the greatest presidents.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

DarklyDreaming posted:

And yeah this, I'm being very optimistic in implying the possibility that infamous supervillain corporation Monsanto would do anything to help with food shortages a continent over even when heavily incentivized

I don’t think Monsanto even exists any more. They were bought by Bayer several years ago.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mds2 posted:

I don’t think Monsanto even exists any more. They were bought by Bayer several years ago.

They exist.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
IG Farmin'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention last night I heard some Mark Levin and he had some dumbass right wing historian on who's just written some book about World War II. Anyway they talked a bit about how great Reagan was, and how Reagan was able to single-handedly defeat communism without starting a world war. The historian (I don't remember his name nor do I care) talked about how Reagan was an incredible genius because he was so smart that he knew the way to do it was to win the hearts and minds of the people in those countries, and he did so by funding resistance armies and giving them weapons and money.

And like, he and Levin weren't being vague about it and just glossing over it, Levin specifically mentioned how it was a great strategy in Afghanistan and the historian mentioned repeatedly about how it was so great in Iran. Imagine talking openly in 2022 about how funding the Mujahideen and the loving Contras was genius and why Reagan is one of the greatest presidents.

The Reagan worship is really weird and tired. If someone like him ran in the modern Republican party with his policies right now they'd be run out of town. Republicans don't even know what the gently caress Ronald did that they think they like. I know more about Reagan than my dumb talk radio listening FOX news listening coworkers do. You can post Reagan quotes or policies of his on FB with a "look at this dumb poo poo Obama/Hitler said or did" attribution and they fall for it every loving time.

But never the less, he belongs on Mt. Rushmore because Rush Limbaugh said so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

The Reagan worship is really weird and tired. If someone like him ran in the modern Republican party with his policies right now they'd be run out of town. Republicans don't even know what the gently caress Ronald did that they think they like. I know more about Reagan than my dumb talk radio listening FOX news listening coworkers do. You can post Reagan quotes or policies of his on FB with a "look at this dumb poo poo Obama/Hitler said or did" attribution and they fall for it every loving time.

But never the less, he belongs on Mt. Rushmore because Rush Limbaugh said so.
Yeah the GOP has this habit of attributing everything they like to someone like Reagan or Trump, but refuse to acknowledge that they may have also done stuff they wouldn't like

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Supplying the Mujahadeen arguably wouldn't be seen as an ironic mistake if Bush Jr. didn't use 9/11 as a pretext to occupy Afghanistan. The US probably would have had a better chance at actually capturing Bin Laden with the Taliban in charge than with the coalition government, and they couldn't have been worse partners than Pakistan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the GOP has this habit of attributing everything they like to someone like Reagan or Trump, but refuse to acknowledge that they may have also done stuff they wouldn't like

Trump sent out more stimulus money than Biden

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

Supplying the Mujahadeen arguably wouldn't be seen as an ironic mistake if Bush Jr. didn't use 9/11 as a pretext to occupy Afghanistan. The US probably would have had a better chance at actually capturing Bin Laden with the Taliban in charge than with the coalition government, and they couldn't have been worse partners than Pakistan.

It would have been the saner response and could have led to the US not being bogged down in the Middle East for about 20 years.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

But it led to incredible profits for the MIC, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Reagan would do fine if he went mask off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Season 2's Alex Jones Joe Rogan has been found!

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1503851385653272581?s=20&t=hhmdIig-J9VASVpYlthaxA

Post Millenial is Right Wing poo poo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Post_Millennial

I AM GRANDO posted:

Post millennial is a nazi site going for disaffected leftists. They post about trans people a lot.

Thanks for calling me out on this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 17, 2022

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

CommieGIR posted:

Season 2's Alex Jones has been found!

[EDIT: Removed link

How is this like Alex Jones?

Anarchy Stocking fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 17, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i went and looked over his recent history. looks like he did a bit on how to avoid covid regulations in 2021, and that was sort of a right wing hit, so he's jumped in on the right wing media circuit for the cash and attention.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Post millennial is a nazi site going for disaffected leftists. They post about trans people a lot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i went and looked over his recent history. looks like he did a bit on how to avoid covid regulations in 2021, and that was sort of a right wing hit, so he's jumped in on the right wing media circuit for the cash and attention.

Its also the whole "Pretending Right wing is just a media thing to seperate us" ignores everything the rise of the Alt-Right has done.

Russel Brand has a lot of progressive views, maybe its better to say he's 'Season 2 of Joe Rogan'

I AM GRANDO posted:

Good to know, I'll remove the link.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's always been a weird crank. Back in 2015 he had a massive youth following and announced how he was not going to vote in the 2015 election, implying to his young audience that voting is pointless, and Ed Miliband (our Labour leader at the time) did an episode on his show to try and persuade him and his audience that voting is worth it.

He then waited a bit and finally announced he will try voting after all, for Labour.

After the voter registration deadline had passed.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Russel Brand has a lot of progressive views, maybe its better to say he's 'Season 2 of Joe Rogan'

Yeah, this seems much more apt. Another example of "churlish comedian parleys his notoriety into a podcast". I have no idea who the target audience for something like this is supposed to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Anarchy Stocking posted:

Yeah, this seems much more apt. Another example of "churlish comedian parleys his notoriety into a podcast". I have no idea who the target audience for something like this is supposed to be.

Yeah and as GRANDO pointed out: Its a lovely conservative source, so shame on me.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah and as GRANDO pointed out: Its a lovely conservative source, so shame on me.

My comment wasn't directed at you. I just don't understand why people who like this man's specific brand of comedy would also be interested in his political opinions. It's like your dentist starting a podcast about third-world poverty.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but his stand-up performances were at least left-ish last I checked (prior to 2020)

Not a fan of him in movies but he's got a screen character dirt bag and actually-pretty-decent-when-he's-on-stage character

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/dburghart/status/1504526757340213249?s=20

Looks like a buncha militia are about to personally intervene in a divorce case, and I’m willing to bet they’ll get away with it. Bundy always does.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ugh what have you done that forced cps to actually get involved in loving Idaho

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

greazeball posted:

ugh what have you done that forced cps to actually get involved in loving Idaho

After some googling of the case it appears they weren't feeding him and he had to be rushed to a hospital for medical complications relating to malnourishment

downout
Jul 6, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

A Russian writer wrote a long Twitter thread critique of how the "independent Russian media" of the 20th century failed the Russian people. He is a member of said media and admits he was part of said failure. The below is a translation by another journalist. The original thread in Russian is linked.
https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1504619178967408646?t=Asgcb3_cq-6ZSqguzVUBtQ&s=19
Key points
https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1504619185543991299?t=Qk6GCsrJInzTJ12rAU9Bew&s=19
https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1504619205764820995?t=el4-nIeEkWfiG7VfMMvvtA&s=19
Gives some perspective on why the average Russian is in fact quite supportive of the war.

This is from the Ukraine war thread, but in reading the twitter posts there seems to be a lot of parallels to western media. It reminds me that a lot of the better quality articles are hidden behind paywalls. A few of the remaining free news sources are reuters, al-jazerra, maybe some AP new source, and fox news. NYT and washington post and a bunch of others are all paywalled now.

There is probably some quality independent reporting out there, but it's hard to find. And for many audiences, they aren't going to dig too deep.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Almost zero. At most you might not be able to get some kinds of treats. The US (and Canada, and big chunks of South America) is an agricultural powerhouse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

downout posted:

This is from the Ukraine war thread, but in reading the twitter posts there seems to be a lot of parallels to western media. It reminds me that a lot of the better quality articles are hidden behind paywalls. A few of the remaining free news sources are reuters, al-jazerra, maybe some AP new source, and fox news. NYT and washington post and a bunch of others are all paywalled now.

There is probably some quality independent reporting out there, but it's hard to find. And for many audiences, they aren't going to dig too deep.
Didn’t Reuters go behind a very expensive paywall or did they not decide to do that?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So the local morning guy here (well, semi-local, I don't actually live in NC) was talking about how the Desantis anti-gay/trans bill was actually good, and as proof they used the story of the mayor pro tem of Huntsville who recently deleted a tweet where she offered to talk with kids about LGBT issues. The right is claiming that this is proof that pro-LGBT adults are all pedophiles who just want to groom kids. To (unfortunately) be fair, it doesn't help that the tweet used the phrase "slide into my DMs" which yeah, not a good look.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When how-do-you-do-fellow-kids energy goes wrong.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah okay, he was saying "You called us conspiracy theorists but this proves we were right, it's actually real!" and how all local businesses and banks were begging politicians to ban it because it would put them out of business.

Also last night I was out super late and I happened to hear a bit from the Jesse Kelly Show, some guy I've never heard of before. It was one of the most irritating things I've ever heard. The guy is like the smuggest motherfucker imaginable, just his tone and the way he said things made it clear he thinks he's hot poo poo and the greatest guy alive, he also is one of those people who thinks they're extremely funny but isn't, constantly laughing at his own "jokes." I'd rather listen to literally any other right wing radio host for hours on end than listen to that guy for five minutes.
His show is called "I'm Right."

downout
Jul 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t Reuters go behind a very expensive paywall or did they not decide to do that?

Maybe? I never really access their content directly, and I was certain I've seen their content available on other sites with a Reuters byline and not paywalled. But that could be some content sharing thing between sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I thought they were doing a "best of" rerun or something for Mark Levin tonight because the topic of conversation was Hunter Biden's laptop, but no, it wasn't a rerun at all. Hunter Biden's laptop is back in right wing media, baby! With all the usual insane claims such as there being pictures of multiple politicians doing depraved sex acts with kids.