Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Elex 2 has a minor sidequest (questline, maybe) where Jax (the player character) isn't actually doing the quest. Minor spoilers for the Fort: Somebody took a poo poo in Hitch's house and he thinks some of the local kids did it. You eventually meet some of the kids when they ask for your help (or in one case, tell you leave an active crime scene because you could contaminate it). After doing what little you can, you find the kid detectives at their little clubhouse, where they go over the details of the case and proceed with their next steps. Whenever you try to talk to them about the case (other than the small amount of help you can give), they basically tell you to go away and stop interfering in an ongoing investigation. You can't even convince Hitch that the kids are actually trying to help figure out who took a poo poo in his house so maybe he shouldn't just brush them off when they want to tell him something. I haven't seen an ending to it yet, but if it continues the way it has been, it feels like a pretty good troll by the devs: keep the player character out of the loop but still able to watch the "quest" happen if you pay attention. Even the stuff you can do to "help" feels like they just want to keep you occupied so you don't interfere.

I just want to know who took a poo poo in Hitch's house! It's the biggest unanswered question in the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
IS ELEX 2 OUT

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

beats for junkies posted:

Elex 2 has a minor sidequest (questline, maybe) where Jax (the player character) isn't actually doing the quest. Minor spoilers for the Fort: Somebody took a poo poo in Hitch's house and he thinks some of the local kids did it. You eventually meet some of the kids when they ask for your help (or in one case, tell you leave an active crime scene because you could contaminate it). After doing what little you can, you find the kid detectives at their little clubhouse, where they go over the details of the case and proceed with their next steps. Whenever you try to talk to them about the case (other than the small amount of help you can give), they basically tell you to go away and stop interfering in an ongoing investigation. You can't even convince Hitch that the kids are actually trying to help figure out who took a poo poo in his house so maybe he shouldn't just brush them off when they want to tell him something. I haven't seen an ending to it yet, but if it continues the way it has been, it feels like a pretty good troll by the devs: keep the player character out of the loop but still able to watch the "quest" happen if you pay attention. Even the stuff you can do to "help" feels like they just want to keep you occupied so you don't interfere.

I just want to know who took a poo poo in Hitch's house! It's the biggest unanswered question in the game so far.

That makes me think of this bit from MBMBAM: linked in keeping with your spoiler tags

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I booted up Dungeon Encounters and it’s a pretty cool budget game so far that has (afaik) all of its OST be remixes of classical music, some pretty chill, others not quite so much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing I like about Nioh's story is that it's not just confined to one mythology. William is killing his way through Japanese mythology to rescue a Gaelic spirit from a British sorcerer.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BioEnchanted posted:

A small thing I like about Nioh's story is that it's not just confined to one mythology. William is killing his way through Japanese mythology to rescue a Gaelic spirit from a British sorcerer.

While allying with real historical figures. It’s so weird. I love it. Did you know Hattori Hanzo’s father was a giant toad? You do now!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don’t remember seeing this posted in here but dang it owns that your weapons are just straight-up disabled in the hub in ER so you don’t accidentally aggro vital NPCs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

I don’t remember seeing this posted in here but dang it owns that your weapons are just straight-up disabled in the hub in ER so you don’t accidentally aggro vital NPCs.

I never ended up swinging at an NPC but it’s still a much appreciated feature regardless.

also having that lulls you into a false sense of security when getting invaded, which made for a pretty cool/shocking moment

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was great, last night I went AFK as soon as I loaded in to the hold, and then had to run back to my computer as I suddenly realised I was being attacked. Really threw me off!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rockman Reserve posted:

With how easy it is to accidentally swing your weapon in any Soulborne game by putting your controller down and hitting one of the bumpers, I took it as headcanon that your character is pretty much constantly on the verge of flipping out and murdering everyone, and it's only by the grace of concentrated effort that they're not doing so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kit Walker posted:

With how easy it is to accidentally swing your weapon in any Soulborne game by putting your controller down and hitting one of the bumpers, I took it as headcanon that your character is pretty much constantly on the verge of flipping out and murdering everyone, and it's only by the grace of concentrated effort that they're not doing so

I mean, that sounds canon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The term is "murder hobo".

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
That’s what going hollow is, accidentally hitting your bumpers

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Frank Frank posted:

While allying with real historical figures. It’s so weird. I love it. Did you know Hattori Hanzo’s father was a giant toad? You do now!

Giant Toad (pronounced: Giant Toad) was the most enjoyable boss fight in the game because he's a giant toad with a big pipe that he smokes during the fight (and also he wasn't too fast or tanky like some of the other bosses). I was so happy when I unlocked the later duel mission where he wants to fight you again just because he had so much fun the first time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I am finding that Nioh gets less frustrating the more progress you make as you get more and more options for dealing with poo poo, from new guardian spirits (although I haven't got the paired electric dogs because that duel is hard and I'm going to do it later if the game lets me go back). I have a few different ways to make elements happen now. Although I take umbrage at how hidden the backstab/stealth attack skill is. Not only is it in the Ninja tree, it requires a mission to unlock before you can actually buy it and it's buried under all the weapons that you can unlock almost right at the bottom. I'm glad I have it though.

Also I like that you can turn off the poison (I'm at the second shrine in the poison filled Silver mine right now. At least so far the only boss that's been spoiled for me is that giant toad, just now, thanks for that :P)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nioh and Nioh 2, both of which are amazing, certainly unfold a lot as you progress. You end up with so many new abilities and mechanics after a fairly rough and underpowered start. It's kind of like if you unlocked jumping 90 minutes into Super Mario Bros. And then you have 3 coin counters, five quickbars of different fireballs and mushrooms, and two new differently colored mana bars that won't be explained or used for another 12 hours. Bowsers wander the land freely. The end boss is Luigi wielding a princess corpse as a weapon and he is only vulnerable to shadow Yeehaw attacks (the flashing teal mana bar which just unlocked).

They're great. Nioh 2 is even better than 1.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

Nioh and Nioh 2, both of which are amazing, certainly unfold a lot as you progress. You end up with so many new abilities and mechanics after a fairly rough and underpowered start. It's kind of like if you unlocked jumping 90 minutes into Super Mario Bros. And then you have 3 coin counters, five quickbars of different fireballs and mushrooms, and two new differently colored mana bars that won't be explained or used for another 12 hours. Bowsers wander the land freely. The end boss is Luigi wielding a princess corpse as a weapon and he is only vulnerable to shadow Yeehaw attacks (the flashing teal mana bar which just unlocked).

They're great. Nioh 2 is even better than 1.

I do appreciate that certain items that help close the gap between you and enemies are infinite. It's not like the gold pine resin in Dark Souls where you'd find 3 things of it before a boss that was weak to it, but if you died three times after using it that's it and now you have to fight the boss without it, only making it harder. Once you unlock the ability to wreath your weapon in an element, you can just do that 3 times while it's equipped. If you die? You get all three shots back. same with the 7 shurikens or kunai, certainly they aren't too good now, but maybe you'll feel like putting more points into that skill and then equip them again just to see how they are. Maybe there were useless before, but now 3 missions later they are actually starting to hurt enemies more. I can mix and match, reduce a boss's defense, then wreath my weapon in it's elemental weakness and if I die? I can just try again. Just need to move better, and I can still do that poo poo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Going absolutely apeshit with bombs in the middle of an army of murderous skeletons is one of the purest joys in the Nioh games.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just saw a tiktok that says Elden Ring has an illusory door that can only be opened by hitting it 50 times

Holy poo poo, Fromsoft :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

thecluckmeme posted:

I just saw a tiktok that says Elden Ring has an illusory door that can only be opened by hitting it 50 times

Holy poo poo, Fromsoft :allears:

from context it looks like it and a few other illusionary walls people have found like that are likely illusionary walls that were meant to be disabled for whatever reason in development, so they maxed out the health value of said wall -- so you can still "kill" the wall by trying hard enough, it just takes forever.

all the ones that have been found that are like this don't actually lead anywhere new or helpful

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I’ve been kinda hanging out in the room while my wife burns through H:FW and in a big underwater area with some giant machines the ambient music includes the Jaws theme :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

flatluigi posted:

from context it looks like it and a few other illusionary walls people have found like that are likely illusionary walls that were meant to be disabled for whatever reason in development, so they maxed out the health value of said wall -- so you can still "kill" the wall by trying hard enough, it just takes forever.

all the ones that have been found that are like this don't actually lead anywhere new or helpful

Absolutely none of that matters to me, the fact that there is a bullshit secret that somebody has found because they spent a boss fight's length of time pressing R1 on a wall and it payed off is all I care about.

The community has always pitched really convoluted ideas that they inevitably check for in every new game, and so far I have seen three illusory wall related "this is so dumb I love it" level goofs

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I liked that aspect of Nioh where certain buff items you could just learn as spells. I think Elden Ring crafting system kind of improves on that aspect of Dark Souls where you wouldn't necessarily want to use items because you'd just get clamped 3 seconds after using an item to put a bunch of fire on your weapon, but Nioh probably had it correct by just having it as a skill you can learn.

Anyway a cool little thing in Elden Ring is that when you're standing in poison or rot or whatever it begins to slowly poison you as long as you're standing in it, but if you step out of it your poison level starts to drain. UNLESS you dodge rolled while you were in it, in which case the poison keeps ticking up, because now you're covered in it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imo that really belongs in the other thread, it’s a big dick move since rollinv rapidly out of the swamp/death swamp doesn’t mitigate it:mad:

Also Elden Ring: I went underground via a looooong tunnel ride to an area that just looked like genericish abandoned runes with some mud golem monsters, thinking it was just an optional side dungeon. Then I found another elevator.

and had a real holy poo poo moment. This game blows me away with how loving big it is a lot, but going through an elevator and finding a beautiful perpetual starry sky and fauna was the first time I’ve been taken aback, not just from knowing that there’s what seems to be an entire game region hidden under all of the poo poo I haven’t explored yet, but because it was the absolute last thing I ever could expected. No wonder they let me use Torrent down here…

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

UNLESS you dodge rolled while you were in it, in which case the poison keeps ticking up, because now you're covered in it.

You can also craft soap, which lets you wash away that layer of grime

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

That reminds me that Sekiro had a really cool poison mechanic.

There was an item that would intentionally poison yourself, but with a very weak poison. Doing so would make you immune to the much more severe poison buildup of enemies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kazil posted:

There was an item that would intentionally poison yourself, but with a very weak poison. Doing so would make you immune to the much more severe poison buildup of enemies.

Oddly reminds me of how in Pokemon, using items or moves that give your Pokemon a status effect on purpose is in some cases a reliable competitive strategy, both because of certain abilities and/or effects that benefit from it or simply because a Pokemon can't have more than one status effect at a time. Or more specifically, Poisoning your own Pokemon means they can't get the much more severely ramping effect of Toxic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kazil posted:

I think that’s how poison works in general in Soulsborne which is neat for niche strats. Like iirc, there’s a strat for dealing with Blighttown that involves throwing poo until you inflict toxic that’s much weaker than what the dart men throw out, the devs never expected people to do that but they were impressed that they stumbled on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly reminds me of how in Pokemon, using items or moves that give your Pokemon a status effect on purpose is in some cases a reliable competitive strategy, both because of certain abilities and/or effects that benefit from it or simply because a Pokemon can't have more than one status effect at a time. Or more specifically, Poisoning your own Pokemon means they can't get the much more severely ramping effect of Toxic.

As if imprisoning animals and making them battle isn't cruel enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started playing Tunic which is a Zelda-like where you're this little fox dude. When you start the game there's no tutorial or anything like that but over the course of the game you find pages of an instruction manual that starts explaining various mechanics and controls. Which is a fun way to kind of dole out the information.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The instruction manual in Tunic is charming as hell.
It's designed to look like the manuals you would get with some SNES games.
Most of the manual is written in the games language, it reminds me of playing a game imported from Japan and trying to piece some of it together from the pictures.

I also love how I've been picking up these cards and golden coins, which according to the manual go together, I just need to turn to page 20 to figure out how.

I don't have page 20.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Dawn of the Monsters is a kaiju beat-em-up, and the love for the genre is palpable. I have been constantly playing as not-Godzilla, and have unlocked some very fun skins so far: The King, which has the colors of King of the Monsters, and 1954, which is completely in in black and white.

My favorite, though, is a skin that uses the color scheme of the Godzilla games on the GBA. It's a deep cut, but if you're a kaiju and video game fan from the same generation as the lead developer, it's something that immediately stands out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pulsarcat posted:

The instruction manual in Tunic is charming as hell.
It's designed to look like the manuals you would get with some SNES games.
Most of the manual is written in the games language, it reminds me of playing a game imported from Japan and trying to piece some of it together from the pictures.

I also love how I've been picking up these cards and golden coins, which according to the manual go together, I just need to turn to page 20 to figure out how.

I don't have page 20.

The manual has genuinely introduced some things that have completely changed the game multiple times for me. Around the time I was thinking "God drat this game keeps getting bigger, I hope I find fast travel" and then the next page I find has instructions for how you actually use the fast travel system of the game. Which immediately opens up two new areas I can go to with bosses I should nooooot be fighting yet :stare:

I get the same kind of vibe in this game that I get in a good zelda or zeldalike, where one new item revolutionizes how I'm walking around the game. In this game, I found a whip that lets me insta-teleport to any hook I can lock-on to. gently caress a ladder, whip 4 lyfe

It also contextualizes all these little things around the map that didn't make sense at first glance but now I can get to all kinds of chests for upgrades.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I liked that aspect of Nioh where certain buff items you could just learn as spells. I think Elden Ring crafting system kind of improves on that aspect of Dark Souls where you wouldn't necessarily want to use items because you'd just get clamped 3 seconds after using an item to put a bunch of fire on your weapon, but Nioh probably had it correct by just having it as a skill you can learn.

Anyway a cool little thing in Elden Ring is that when you're standing in poison or rot or whatever it begins to slowly poison you as long as you're standing in it, but if you step out of it your poison level starts to drain. UNLESS you dodge rolled while you were in it, in which case the poison keeps ticking up, because now you're covered in it.

Going back to Nioh (and probably other games), I like that you can remove the burning status effect more quickly if you use the dodge-roll move.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

beats for junkies posted:

Going back to Nioh (and probably other games), I like that you can remove the burning status effect more quickly if you use the dodge-roll move.

Every game with a burning effect should have this (I know Monster Hunter does). I don't think Forbidden West does, and it's disappointing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Every game with a burning effect should have this (I know Monster Hunter does). I don't think Forbidden West does, and it's disappointing.

Yeah, I was struggling with that the whole game after playing a couple other games where you can roll or hit some button to put the flames out. I assume it's like that in HZD too, I can't remember, but it's tough to switch back to that style from other games.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ahaha the Placidusax fight in ER is utter bullshit. Enormous boss model, huge AoE damage with VERY short tells and then the 2nd phase kicks in and the game intentionally weaponizes the loving camera against you. The boss begins instantly teleporting from in front of you (with no warning) to one of your blind spots and immediately attacking. The moment you orient yourself and move towards the boss, it does it again. Oh and when it gets to a sliver of health, it healed itself somehow. Not only that but there’s no stake nearby and the run back involves riding an elevator plus annoying platforming.

I got so mad at it I genuinely started laughing. It’s a giant neon flashing “u mad” sign from Fromsoft to the player base. I hope to god it doesn’t have a 2nd health bar. The boss is probably pretty easy if you’re a magic user but just lol if you’re melee only.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I found a tiny surface ruin in Elden Ring that had one of those giant bears in it, I managed to get the gently caress out of the ruins before it finished its standing animation and figured it was trapped and I could plink it with arrows or something.

Then it attacked and knocked down an entire wall and chased me across a field. Environmental destruction in a Souls game….:allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bears of unusual size? i don't believe they exist

*gets tackled by two-story bear from offscreen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rockman Reserve posted:

I found a tiny surface ruin in Elden Ring that had one of those giant bears in it, I managed to get the gently caress out of the ruins before it finished its standing animation and figured it was trapped and I could plink it with arrows or something.

Then it attacked and knocked down an entire wall and chased me across a field. Environmental destruction in a Souls game….:allears:

There are a couple boss fights that do this too. "Oh hey I'll just take cover behind this pillar aaaaand the boss has crushed the pillar, hit me and now I'm taking damage from the flying debris". They really did dial up the rear end in a top hat-factor in this game. Who likes googly-eyed instadeath basilisks? No one? Here's a tree full of 500 of them. Have fun you fuckman!

Edit: Yes, I know those aren't their eyes.