Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
That and maybe talking with the feds about his ol' buddy Styert.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1499172146685304835

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I decided to listen to KF from the beginning to get away from the war a bit.

#10 has Aleksandr Dugin on :negative:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just catching up on the Behind the Bastard appearances from D&J, and I'd forgotten just how hilariously terrible the IHeartRadio podcasts that get advertised on BtB are - Dua Lipa talking to pop stars about how hard their lives are? Some actress from shows I've literally never heard of talking about "empowerment"? A podcast about how true crime podcasts are made? Who the *gently caress* is ever going to listen to these things? They all sound like joke podcasts made up by The Onion to take the piss out of lib podcasts.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They all sound like joke podcasts made up by The Onion to take the piss out of lib podcasts.

:hmmyes:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Well come to the future of corporate podcasting. Podcasts are so cheap to produce that you can just flood the zone with lovely ones with C-List celebs until a winner or two sticks. They're all loving loss leaders.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I assume the idea is that there are a lot of people who are fans of [celebrity] who have never listened to a podcast, but will learn to do so if it means getting more [celebrity] in their lives. Getting people to learn what a podcast is and how to listen to it has historically been the biggest hurdle, even though you'd think we'd be past that in 2022. Ideally once they've got podcasts set up on their phone anyway they'll branch out into more of them and keep listening even after [celebrity] moves onto their next pet project.

Why they advertise these projects on podcasts, listened to by people who already know what a podcast is, is a mystery to me. I guess they gotta throw something in there when Raytheon doesn't want to spring for an ad about the latest and greatest in knife missile technology.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I suppose we can't throw stones *that* much, given we're in the thread for talking about two Chicago-based standup comedians going into microscopic detail about the antics of a fringe right-wing media figure, it's arguably considerably more niche and weird than anything Dua Lipa has to say, it's just something about the presentation of them as something that they think that I might be interested in that makes me laugh.

I mean Knowledge Fight definitely isn't even the weirdest, nichest thing I listen to either - this sudden outbreak of seeing the other side came because my latest KF episode came between listening to a podcast about bad Kickstarter projects that was an offshoot from a thread on these very forums (Your Kickstarter Sucks), and two grown men discussing an episode of a 40--year-old Saturday afternoon drama (Top Flight Time Machine, which started as a football (soccer) podcast but is now the UK's premium source for information on digging holes, ghosts, and dads on roofs).

Given I pay actual money, that I earn, to listen to those two (and KF) suddenly a podcast where someone shares backstage secrets about Beverly Hills 90210 doesn't sound quite so out of the ordinary.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Dan has become the foremost expert on Alex Jones and Infowars

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Firstscion posted:

Dan has become the foremost expert on Alex Jones and Infowars

I do wonder why Jones hasn't woven any narratives around Dan and Jordan like he usually does when someone pays attention to him

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

I do wonder why Jones hasn't woven any narratives around Dan and Jordan like he usually does when someone pays attention to him

The obvious answer is that he's uncomfortable with the idea of anyone paying attention to them, even if they're generally well-programmed. Dan and Jordan are approachable and funny and they don't code as threatening to white conservatives (at least until you hear them really get going on a particular topic). They have intrinsic credibility if an Alex Jones fan was to find their stuff, and that's bad for him.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

tracecomplete posted:

The obvious answer is that he's uncomfortable with the idea of anyone paying attention to them, even if they're generally well-programmed. Dan and Jordan are approachable and funny and they don't code as threatening to white conservatives (at least until you hear them really get going on a particular topic). They have intrinsic credibility if an Alex Jones fan was to find their stuff, and that's bad for him.

Yeah, and to add to this, while a lot of KF is about criticising Jones's terrible political ideology, a good chunk of it is also about criticising Jones's behavior as a person and as a supposed news source. An Infowars fan might be able to dismiss Dan calling out Jones's transphobia, but if something like him pointing out Alex never doing anything more than reading the headline of an article before reporting on it sticks, that's a problem for Alex because that can cost him a listener regardless of ideology.

I think something else that keeps Jones from targeting Dan and Jordan more is that they aren't doing things like going on TV and doing the media rounds whenever Alex does something that gets media coverage. Jones can't take a soundbite of Dan talking about him on CNN out of context, and he's far too lazy to go through an episode of KF to find something to rag on Dan for

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I also think that Jones being criticised in real time, to the backing of his own words coming right out of his mouth clipped directly from the show in incredibly more damaging than an article Jones can quote and take out of context. Drawing attention to that instead of an already "discretied" news source is intrisicly more damaging.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The first few chapters of that book the guest author wrote are painful to read. The next few chapters are from a different book entirely. ... goes to show the nature of the problem, really.

I'm hardly finished with it, but I noticed a few interesting gems thus far. What I found surprising, despite having listened to a large part of Knowledge Fight, was how embedded Alex's first wife was in early Infowars. It's easy to forget, considering how public and bitter their divorce was, and especially since it was her expert witnesses in the child custody case that made public Alex's narcissistic personality diagnosis. The reason they first met was because they were both attempting to gin up media attention, and she was even there during the Bohemian Grove infiltration, even if that isn't mentioned much these days. It also gets into just how much money they were making at the time, even if Dan and Jordan are insistent that the financial documents given to the court cases were likely fudged or laundered to appear much lower than they actually are.

quote:

In those years Kelly, Jones’s right hand, was preoccupied with homeschooling the couple’s three young children and tending to the demands of their new, moneyed lifestyle. The couple had a house on Lake Travis, but their base was a walled compound outside Austin, a heavy-beamed, stucco former ranch house with a safe full of firearms. The kids tumbled about with the family’s four dogs: Kelly’s Chihuahua, Bambi, a Labrador named Biggie, and two French bulldogs, Captain Fantastic and Sparky.
Kelly was working with contractors to build “this Disneyland pool that was Alex’s idea” near the compound’s gates, with multiple levels of basins, waterfalls, stone dining grottos, a restaurant-sized barbecue, and a pool house that doubled as a tap dance studio for Kelly.
The Joneses netted $5 million a year in 2012 and 2013, according to tax returns submitted in court proceedings.
“We were making more and more money. It was more than we needed. It was just this weird thing when you have so much money that you’re like, ‘What am I gonna buy next?’ ” Kelly told me. “It’s just actually, like, cumbersome. And you have multiple people to manage, and your life isn’t really private, and it becomes this, like, material monster, you know?”
In those years, “Alex wouldn’t let us fly at all, because he wouldn’t go through TSA,” Kelly said. “He bought this horrible tour bus, and every family vacation was just like an Infowars broadcast,” with the bus driver stopping in various towns so Jones could party with his fans. Alex loved it, she said, “Listening to heavy metal on this horrible diesel tour bus with three kids, and I’d be in the back with motion sickness.”
Lenny, flipping the channel to Infowars on long rides from Connecticut to clients in New York, noticed a change in Jones’s show. Jones offered fewer interpretations of the news and more paranoid rants.
Jones nurtured a bromance with the former Minnesota governor, actor, and World Wrestling Federation performer Jesse “the Body” Ventura, and they would discuss their shared paranoia about post-9/11 security measures. “The content lost interest,” Lenny said. “He had Jesse Ventura on his show a lot, and they would talk about the airport scanners, and it didn’t make sense to me. Why is he against airport scanners and why is he making it the object of his show?”
But Ventura’s presence on the show, like Jones’s hiring of former wrestler Dan Bidondi as a cameraman, was a tell, Lenny told me. He thinks Jones has crafted his broadcast around WWF, now known as World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), the money-spinning franchise built on wild personalities like Ventura, “Macho Man” Randy Savage, and Andre the Giant, engaged in brutal, staged ring combat. “I’m convinced he liked that model, the showmanship of it,” Lenny said. Like Donald Trump, who famously tangled in the ring with World Wrestling Entertainment chairman Vince McMahon, Jones saw WWE as a magnet for the same audience he sought. Jones brought WWE’s style of fakery to Infowars, whose newscasts bore about as little resemblance to actual journalism as the Trump-McMahon “Battle of the Billionaires” did to Greco-Roman wrestling.
“I was kind of a governor on him when he went over the edge, saying like, ‘No, don’t do that,’ ” Kelly told me of her role when she was more involved in the business. But success had drawn them apart: “Our family was an adjunct to Alex, who was leading a completely separate life.”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Listening to episode o the first Rogan ep and it's ludicrous how positive and optimistic Dan is

"I think this stuff is gonna reverse."

His liberalism/centralism is glaring. He's def changed over the years (aged)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The MTG interview is sobering. She's so deep into the conspiracy mindset that she thinks there's a conspiracy in the House

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Froghammer posted:

The MTG interview is sobering. She's so deep into the conspiracy mindset that she thinks there's a conspiracy in the House

She's going to be President within the next 15 years. That's the reality of America, right now.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The conservative media sphere drives people in it completely insane. My Dad recently just came around to this, he was telling my mom about how Russians were pushing the anti-mask stuff. Nothing kicks a boomer awake more than The Ruskies actually being a threat it seems.

But I donno how to deal with this stuff. There's always been a deeply insane group of people in American politics, and honestly in humanity in general. Everywhere is influenced by complete madmen who believe bizarre things, and who will gladly believe those things over much easier, more explanatory, and more sane things. It's not the majority, it never has been and hopefully never will be, but that doesn't stop their influence. MTG is disgusting, stupid, lovely, bizarre, and embarrassing. But she is an honest to god representation of people in america, just like every other disgusting, stupid, lovely, bizarre and embarrassing politician ever has been.

I don't see a MTG presidency without a sundering, she's genuinely repellant to normal people who do exist in large numbers still. Any event related to Ukraine around you will see normal people out in force, taking the obvious side and obvious actions that you'd expect. But she's where the internet conservative is at the moment, batshit crazy and unfit for any sort of power.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Kinda depends how you want to define "sundering" I guess, but large and growing portions of the Republican base and media empire are outright calling for the destruction of democratic elections when they lose them.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Kinda depends how you want to define "sundering" I guess, but large and growing portions of the Republican base and media empire are outright calling for the destruction of democratic elections when they lose them.

Yeah that'd be a sundering right there. The rest of the country and the rest of the would wouldn't be happy about that, and everything would rapidly fall apart. There's no clean break, either, it's urban/rural and there's no way things could go any other way but nasty.

It's a bigger possibility than I would've admitted even in 2017, but it'd be insane and self-destructive in a way that no one could escape.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It's time to pray.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Grondoth posted:

The conservative media sphere drives people in it completely insane. My Dad recently just came around to this, he was telling my mom about how Russians were pushing the anti-mask stuff. Nothing kicks a boomer awake more than The Ruskies actually being a threat it seems.

But I donno how to deal with this stuff. There's always been a deeply insane group of people in American politics, and honestly in humanity in general. Everywhere is influenced by complete madmen who believe bizarre things, and who will gladly believe those things over much easier, more explanatory, and more sane things. It's not the majority, it never has been and hopefully never will be, but that doesn't stop their influence. MTG is disgusting, stupid, lovely, bizarre, and embarrassing. But she is an honest to god representation of people in america, just like every other disgusting, stupid, lovely, bizarre and embarrassing politician ever has been.

I don't see a MTG presidency without a sundering, she's genuinely repellant to normal people who do exist in large numbers still. Any event related to Ukraine around you will see normal people out in force, taking the obvious side and obvious actions that you'd expect. But she's where the internet conservative is at the moment, batshit crazy and unfit for any sort of power.

Honestly turning off news media helps. It certainly is helping me out and it makes the constant waves of propaganda roiling thru the entire industry much more apparent

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Honestly turning off news media helps. It certainly is helping me out and it makes the constant waves of propaganda roiling thru the entire industry much more apparent

Oh, I've stopped paying attention to The Discourse. It's insane. Like, it's amazing how completely nuts people are when they talk about this stuff online rather than talking to like, normal people who care about things. There's a Ukrainian cultural center in my city and they've been having fundraising dinners and rallies and all that, and hanging out with those people feels like... sane? There's justified worry, but also an understanding of what's happened. The only mention of Nazis is when someone talked about how sad it was that a holocaust museum was destroyed. People want to talk about how to help rather than bitch about whatever it is that they're interested in bitching about.

Like I said, my Dad, who at one point told the family that he thought Muslim refugees were actually just sneaking in to have a lot of kids that were US citizens to do terrorist attacks, seems to have been shaken out of his conservative media stupor and has talked about how Russian influence was literally being used on people like him. Talking to normal people, it feels like there's been a big change in how people see things and are looking at this as a horrible emergency that has made them re-think what's important.

However, not everyone is normal. A lot of people are not normal. Online, people are still fighting over insane poo poo like usual. Few people have the defenses to remain normal in a storm of Discourse. I know I sure didn't. I don't know how to get people outta there or how to curb the influence of the insane, even though I've stepped away from it all.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Alex dropping a verse to move bitch is pretty amazing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Was trying to find the episode when Alex Jones was muttering to Glenn Frye's You Belong to the City, still need help with that, but lol found this:

https://hearthis.at/danarchy/city-kf/

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Shageletic posted:

Was trying to find the episode when Alex Jones was muttering to Glenn Frye's You Belong to the City, still need help with that, but lol found this:

https://hearthis.at/danarchy/city-kf/

I mean, Alex talks over You Belong To The City all the time.

I'm working backwards through KF because I have a brain problem, and on the Dec 31 2019 episode, they mention that it's a recent addition to the lineup.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Jordan guested on Billy Wayne Davis's podcast. Fun listen and we learn a little KF behind the scenes info that maybe we shouldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMF-2EMAoCk

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Good podcast. I'd listen to those two chat as often as I'd listen to JorDan.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The constant audio glitches are a bit weird. They've obviously both bought good mics, but a 10m cat5e cable was too much?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was pretty interesting to hear that Alex (or someone from Infowars) has tried to contact them. I hope at some point the post default deposition footage is released. I bet Alex is just glaring at Dan.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I'm a little salty with Jordan revealing that only because I enjoyed the mystery. I refuse to believe that Alex actually knows about KF and until he starts adding cross eyes and beards to the descriptions of the globalist goblins he's always running into. Alex has no capacity not to attack someone's appearance.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just assumed that Alex had to know and Free Speech Systems would have had to reach out. Now I want to know in what capacity did they reach out? I'm guessing lawsuit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Megabound posted:

I just assumed that Alex had to know and Free Speech Systems would have had to reach out. Now I want to know in what capacity did they reach out? I'm guessing lawsuit.

I wonder if this is why there's a stretch where Dan plays clips a couple times of Alex saying on air that anyone is allowed to use and replay any InfoWars material any way they like.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Megabound posted:

I think that Info Wars staff reached out specifically because they don't want Alex to find out about KF. They have enough braincells amongst them to know that Alex would gently caress up real bad if he attacked them.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Alex is such a narcissist that there's no way he hasn't googled himself and found the podcast, and listened to part of it. Anything that has his name attached he's drawn to like a moth to flame. I think he doesn't talk about it because the format is incredibly damaging and he can't use the globalist boogeyman as a scapegoat in this particular instance.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I like to imagine Alex sitting in the dark and listening to the Knowledge Fight intro song on repeat.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

gently caress if he played the theme as a break music Dan would have a heart attack

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was that time back when they were still doing the "probably technically killed a guy" sign off when Alex complained about the Globalists accusing him of murder.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I just don't want Alex to activate his audience against Dan and Jordan. That poo poo can get dangerous.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
A highlight of listening to these older KF episodes has been the investigation into when Alex went from being his regular terrible self to being fully trump-pilled insane.

They started ep46 with June 18, 2015 the day Trump announced his candidacy and proceed from there.

I just got to the MONEY BOMB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Tree Dude posted:

A highlight of listening to these older KF episodes has been the investigation into when Alex went from being his regular terrible self to being fully trump-pilled insane.

They started ep46 with June 18, 2015 the day Trump announced his candidacy and proceed from there.

I just got to the MONEY BOMB

I'm doing the same it's amazing how long he doesn't go in on Trump.