Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Wrex Ruckus posted:

who was that conservative cartoonist that did a wholesome cartoon about a gay couple but it's intended to be read as some sort of living nightmare? I think they retired.

Chuck Asay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gen. Ripper posted:

Chuck Asay.

it owns because it's simultaneously the least concealed and most concealed bigotry in a cartoon

if you don't know asay's opinions you think he's okay with the two dads, but if you do then you realize that the second panel is supposed to be taken as obviously monstrous

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

Chuck Asay.

yup that's the one!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Like, were he a McCoy (either) or Lester, then the second panel would have the kids frowning, the baby bawling, and maybe the dads looking unkempt, dirty, or even just outright in BDSM gear. They can’t help but let their vitriol pour into the page, are fairly hamhanded, and know their hatred is just bullshit bigotry.

But Asay is such an out-of-touch Boomer that he thinks it’s the 1950s and the image of two dudes in a happy relationship is enough to put your hair on end.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

But Asay is such an out-of-touch Boomer that he thinks it’s the 1950s and the image of two dudes in a happy relationship is enough to put your hair on end.

:actually: Asay is a Silent.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh poo poo you just reminded me of the Gary McCoy cartoon with two gay dudes in bondage gear in bed and one says "Ha ha ha, now we can spread our alternative lifestyle to our children!" and the other one goes "Yeah! Wait, how are we going to do that?" And it seems like a parody of conservative beliefs about gay people, but it's meant completely seriously where it feels like McCoy thinks gay dudes are completely unaware that (cis) men can't get pregnant, those dummies!

Also the lamp on the nightstand looked like a dick.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

Like, were he a McCoy (either) or Lester, then the second panel would have the kids frowning, the baby bawling, and maybe the dads looking unkempt, dirty, or even just outright in BDSM gear. They can’t help but let their vitriol pour into the page, are fairly hamhanded, and know their hatred is just bullshit bigotry.

I think Asay was born before 1946 so he's not a Boomer.

Anyway, yes, Asay's cartoons were notorious for undermining their main points by inadvertently making the "bad" alternative featured in the second panel look better (or at least no different) than the "good" one featured in the first.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Right wingers really do unironically believe that one cartoon where two guys are walking down the street and pass a mother and son and the mother is like "Oh no, gay people, avert your eyes, son!" and looks over at her son who says "It's too late, mother, I have seen everything."
I mean, if you're an absolute loving dipshit then this is how things would appear to work from your perspective - you wouldn't do the joined up thinking required to figure out the difference between a) realising that it's actually fine to feel the way you do once you see other people like yourself and b) catching the big gay from seeing two men holding hands.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of arseholes who are just pretending they believe this in order to stigmatise LGBT people because that's obviously also true.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shugojin posted:

it owns because it's simultaneously the least concealed and most concealed bigotry in a cartoon

if you don't know asay's opinions you think he's okay with the two dads, but if you do then you realize that the second panel is supposed to be taken as obviously monstrous

The kids aren't even sad or looking hosed up in any way, it's just assumed they so obviously must be because omg two dads

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

What is it with Republicans and casting themselves as the villains in every story?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Marty Two Bulls

Jack Ohman

Jeff Stahler

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Green New Sham: Putin loves it when anti-American environmentalists extremist work to eliminate fossil fuels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label

Probably won't win but at least deserves a nomination because look at that poo poo. LD!

quote:

Putin loves it when anti-American environmentalists extremist work to eliminate fossil fuels.

Yeah I'm sure Putin would love not being able to sell oil and natural gas to other countries because they had green renewable energy and didn't need his fossil fuels.

Also the Keystone XL is already stopped and the company abandoned it, it's over, even if Trump gets elected in 2024 they're not going to start building it again because they know if a Dem gets elected they'll just lose their rights like when Biden won.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gas prices have risen since the height of a global pandemic when no one was leaving their homes?! Fuckin’ got him, lesser McCoy!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Green New Sham: Putin loves it when anti-American environmentalists extremist work to eliminate fossil fuels.

What??? In what world does "stop using oil" help an oil-producer???

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Can't remember the last time I saw a cartoon that was by this guy and thought, drat that's good.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Putin: "War crimes?!"
War Crimes, by Lisa Benson

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

So "WAR CRIMES" is spelled out in the war crimes by an absence of war crimes? This is a little too abstract for me.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

quote:

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature (of a weasel)

Tibalt posted:

Putin: "War crimes?!"
War Crimes, by Lisa Benson

Cartoonists should have money deducted from their paycheck every time they use a label. That money should then be put into a fund for Kelly to buy extra labels.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This one is actually kind of good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Why the gently caress there are so many cartoons comparing Zelensky to Churchil like it's a good thing :psyduck:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kikas posted:

Why the gently caress there are so many cartoons comparing Zelensky to Churchil like it's a good thing :psyduck:

It's because Churchill spoke to the full Congress under parallel circumstances. Washington Post has the transcript.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Support People by Killing Other People

Ted Rall posted:

American politicians and television viewers have been deeply moved by images of the suffering people of Ukraine. Unfortunately, the main response has been to impose brutal sanctions on Russia that will destroy the Russian people but not their leaders, who are well insulated from the effect of sanctions. If humanitarianism is the point here, what about the people, the human beings, of Russia?

First Dog on the Moon: Disappearing into flood water and floating in a tent: the incredible survival stories of pets

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kikas posted:

Churchill's role in defeating a fascist dictator, perhaps?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kikas posted:

Yeah, it keeps happening and it keeps pissing me off. For one, of course, because Churchill was an immense rear end in a top hat and any comparison to him should be viewed as an insult by default. But apart from that, it also feels kind of condescending? Like, here's a Eastern European leader who is legitimately doing a very good job, probably a better one than most current and past Western leaders would in the same situation. And then these guys come in like "I bestow upon you the greatest compliment I can think of: A comparison to some past rear end in a top hat Western leader with an immensely tarnished legacy".

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 18, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mostly by smoking and drinking.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ukraine had a man-made famine that killed what, 3 million?

Churchill also intentionally caused a famine in Bengal , justifying it openly with horrific and homicidal racism. That famine killed roughly the same number of people.

Comparing anyone to him positively is not a great idea, here even less so.

Edit, my apologies for continuing that discussion. I thought this was the Ukraine thread

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kikas posted:

This may shock you to know, but for more than 95% of Americans & Western Europeans, Churchill is one of the greatest heroes of the 20th century. Do you really not know how he is viewed by the vast majority, or are you just being obtuse and pretending to be shocked?

Adenoid Dan posted:

Ukraine had a man-made famine that killed what, 3 million?

Churchill also intentionally caused a famine in Bengal , justifying it openly with horrific and homicidal racism. That famine killed roughly the same number of people.

Comparing anyone to him positively is not a great idea, here even less so.

Edit, my apologies for continuing that discussion. I thought this was the Ukraine thread

Yeah, but Americans & Europeans either don't know or don't care about that. They care about his leadership in WWII. Now, that may offend you (and you may be right to be offended!), but acting all shocked and dismayed as if this is surprising news is asinine. He's a huge hero in western culture and these comparisons should surprise no one.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 18, 2022

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It loving sucks that he's still so lionized.

Also it gives off the vibe that the cartoonists are only aware of one event in human history.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 18, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

This may shock you to know, but for more than 95% of Americans & Western Europeans, Churchill is one of the greatest heroes of the 20th century. Do you really not know how he is viewed by the vast majority, or are you just being obtuse and pretending to be shocked?

I mean here in Poland we mostly see Churchil as the smoking and drinking rear end in a top hat he was, who just happened to be in the office at the right time to be one of the leaders in WWII. Who also let Poland stay in the russian sphere of influence at the Yalta Conference, which lead directly into our puppet government rejecting the Marshal Plan, leaving us at the tail end of Europe economies and delaying our post-war recovery till the 1990s.

I was also under the impression that the view of Churchil The Hero was being challenged, even in mainstream media, in the last 10 years.

So yeah uh gently caress that guy :v: But I guess that it's my point of view.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's because Churchill spoke to the full Congress under parallel circumstances. Washington Post has the transcript.

Okay now this is a legitimate reason tho, since he's the third guy in history to do so.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kikas posted:

Who also let Poland stay in the russian sphere of influence at the Yalta Conference, which lead directly into our puppet government rejecting the Marshal Plan, leaving us at the tail end of Europe economies and delaying our post-war recovery till the 1990s.
I mean...did he and FDR have a choice? They would have to start the third world war right on the heels of the second (although, I guess it would just be folded into WWII historiography). And the Russians had enough men in Germany to probably push the US and Britain off the continent. The contingency planning called it "Operation Unthinkable" for a reason.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

I mean...did he and FDR have a choice? They would have to start the third world war right on the heels of the second (although, I guess it would just be folded into WWII historiography). And the Russians had enough men in Germany to probably push the US and Britain off the continent. The contingency planning called it "Operation Unthinkable" for a reason.

I said, that's how people see him. Like Politoons, our perception has nothing to do with reality :v: Especially since the feeling of western betrayal at the start of the war is still strong. So it's nice to see that some countries have got their poo poo together and help Ukraine a lot more than they did Poland at the start of WWII.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kikas posted:

I said, that's how people see him. Like Politoons, our perception has nothing to do with reality :v: Especially since the feeling of western betrayal at the start of the war is still strong. So it's nice to see that some countries have got their poo poo together and help Ukraine a lot more than they did Poland at the start of WWII.

Good point

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Support People by Killing Other People

Rall deserves another hearty gently caress you for this, particularly given his cartoon a few days ago arguing about how no one should be supplying Ukraine and they should just give up and surrender to Russia because they couldn't win, but there are some fascinating things going on with...basically everything between each panel. The podium moving up and down. The flags doing a little dance. His flag(?) pin being completely different in every single panel. The sheer body horror of his shoulders in panel three. All the usual Rall-isms, but there's a whole saga going on with the two microphones, a tale of loved ones that gradually grow apart from one another, but in the end reunite once more in the comforting embrace of Uncle Joe.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 18, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also if anyone missed it, Ted Rall was laid off from RT when the sanctions hit. He remembered to say “the Russians” at least, but it is very much a cartoon about how a policy affects Ted Rall personally, and is therefore worse than a war crime.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Evilreaver posted:

What??? In what world does "stop using oil" help an oil-producer???

Like the day after Putin first invaded, Shapiro went on Twitter to proclaim that this was Greta Thunberg's fault. As Ben saw it, she had guilt-tripped European leaders into cutting back on their own fossil fuel production, thus putting Putin in a stronger position by making them more dependent on Russian oil and gas. Clearly the only solution when cutting back on fossil fuel production is to get them elsewhere, because everybody knows renewables are a pipe dream.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but Americans & Europeans either don't know or don't care about that. They care about his leadership in WWII.

That wasn't that great either unless letting Norway get invaded and getting bypassed in the battle of France was the plan

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also if anyone missed it, Ted Rall was laid off from RT when the sanctions hit. He remembered to say “the Russians” at least, but it is very much a cartoon about how a policy affects Ted Rall personally, and is therefore worse than a war crime.

He’s still a Sputnik contractor at least as of two days ago:

https://scheerpost.com/2022/03/16/ted-rall-why-i-work-for-sputnik/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

That wasn't that great either unless letting Norway get invaded and getting bypassed in the battle of France was the plan

He became PM after Norway was invaded and during the battle of France.