Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You tv will have full unpacking instructions either on the box or on a flyer inside. Just follow that and enjoy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
so... what do people think about Smooth Video Project? :kheldragar:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

24fps 4 lyfe

Fight me

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FCKGW posted:

You tv will have full unpacking instructions either on the box or on a flyer inside. Just follow that and enjoy :)

the instructions don't properly convey the insane amount of stress you'll feel holding the thin rear end thing in your hands while you move it to where it goes

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

the instructions don't properly convey the insane amount of stress you'll feel holding the thin rear end thing in your hands while you move it to where it goes

Thanks for bringing back that memory. My father in law and I put up the 77” C1 on the Costco full motion mount. It’s held by a single little tab the size of my thumbnail. There is a little tiny screw that I guess is supposed to hold it in place?

Yeah there was some serious pucker factor a few times there.

Now I need a drink.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

finally getting an OLED! Little worried about getting it set up actually with how thin it is. I assume lay the box down, slide it out horizontal, mount the base, and then flip it up grabbing it only by the handles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMoevdh4fhg&t=828s

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

We knew they weren't going to be cheap but goddamn.

The 65" is only a grand away from the price of the 83" LG CX.

As figured, Samsung's move into OLED wasn't to compete directly with LG and Sony, it was to create an upper product tier.

The original rumor was 8k so that price is still pretty good imo.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Samsung QD OLED:

55" 2399 usd
65" 3499 usd

Updated prices are:
55" $2,199.99
65" $2,999.99

I was going to wait for the Sony A95K 65" to come down to $3k so this is very tempting... I guess I'll just be paying attention to the reviews to see what I want to upgrade to.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
So, do you want a 97" G2, or do you want a new midsize crossover?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just started using my C1 and I wish there were more CEC settings. It behaves in a way that breaks my habits from my TV from 2011. Why can't I just use my consoles and such to turn it on, and not have it wake up consoles at seemingly random when enabling it (CEC)? Maybe I'm still getting used to it but it seems really odd so far.

Also this got no reply in the monitor thread so I'll ask it here. Is there a good HDMI switch or something that I can use to output from my 3080 to my main computer monitor and then switch over to the C1? I see a lot of switches that have multiple inputs and one output but not ones that multiple outputs. Might be searching for the wrong thing. Would just be nice to not have to screw around switching cables out.

E: this is what I'm gonna try, sounds like it should work.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 20, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Suburban Dad posted:

Also this got no reply in the monitor thread so I'll ask it here. Is there a good HDMI switch or something that I can use to output from my 3080 to my main computer monitor and then switch over to the C1? I see a lot of switches that have multiple inputs and one output but not ones that multiple outputs. Might be searching for the wrong thing. Would just be nice to not have to screw around switching cables out.

E: this is what I'm gonna try, sounds like it should work.

That device definitely will not pass HDMI 2.1 signals so you will not be able to use your new TV to its fullest passing through that.

I found your monitor thread post first where there were less details, so now that I know exactly what you're doing here what I'd do is use the native HDMI port to connect to the TV and then use a cheap passive DisplayPort to HDMI dongle or cable to connect your monitor. Then you can use both at the same time and you'll get the full 4K120 and variable refresh rate capabilities of your TV with that GPU.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah I over thought this and for some reason thought that gsync didn't work on anything but HDMI. I'll try using a dp cable I already have (is there a way to tell by looking at the cable if it's up to snuff?) and see if vrr still works. If so then I'll just use the HDMI for the tv.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah I over thought this and for some reason thought that gsync didn't work on anything but HDMI. I'll try using a dp cable I already have (is there a way to tell by looking at the cable if it's up to snuff?) and see if vrr still works. If so then I'll just use the HDMI for the tv.

G-Sync is primarily a DisplayPort-only thing. There was a weird prestandard G-Sync over HDMI mode along the same lines as Freesync-over-HDMI but I think it was only supported by older LG OLEDs and maybe those BFGD things and has vanished since HDMI 2.1 VRR became a thing. I'm not aware of any normal desktop monitors supporting it.

Either way, when using a passive dongle your GPU is detecting that and is actually outputting HDMI over the DisplayPort plug, just at reduced voltage. The dongles have simple level converters to up it to HDMI voltage levels and it's just normal HDMI from there.

If your monitor has DisplayPort just use that natively.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wolrah posted:

G-Sync is primarily a DisplayPort-only thing. There was a weird prestandard G-Sync over HDMI mode along the same lines as Freesync-over-HDMI but I think it was only supported by older LG OLEDs and maybe those BFGD things and has vanished since HDMI 2.1 VRR became a thing. I'm not aware of any normal desktop monitors supporting it.

Either way, when using a passive dongle your GPU is detecting that and is actually outputting HDMI over the DisplayPort plug, just at reduced voltage. The dongles have simple level converters to up it to HDMI voltage levels and it's just normal HDMI from there.

If your monitor has DisplayPort just use that natively.

Also note that the passive DisplayPort to hdmi conversion has a bunch of caveats. iirc it tops out at HDMI 1.4b, so you can’t do hdmi 2.0 on a DP 1.4 port. It’s also not included in most “embedded” implementations like thunderbolt or usb-c alt mode - there is no such thing as a truly passive usb-c to hdmi cable, just really small converters. They can build them into the plug, just like Apple does with tiny DACs for their headphone adapters, but you have to turn a DP stream into hdmi. As such you would lose any VRR sync at the boundary, the lovely little hdmi chipset doesn’t know VRR even if the host GPU itself nominally supported HDMI Org VRR. Etc etc.

Docks will commonly have hdmi chipsets for their hdmi outputs, including sometimes hdmi 2.0. And in fact I had a Dell dock with hdmi 2.0 output on a Skylake where the onboard outputs topped out at hdmi 1.4b. They can also be a bit fucky at times too, sometimes it would glitch the gently caress out and I’ve never had any other source do that with that monitor.

It’s a bit more complex than just “DisplayPort can always be turned into hdmi” these days. What kind of a DisplayPort stream is it? Alt-mode streams have more limits.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 21, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Didn't know about this. The real heroes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 2022 LG OLEDS are (mostly) shipping.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-2022-oled-tv-pricing-availability-155043661.html

quote:

LG is starting to ship the OLED TVs it launched at CES 2022, and it's mostly good news — though you may have to be patient depending on the model you want. The company is selling multiple B2, C2 (pictured) and G2 Gallery Edition sets though its website this month, with pricing that isn't too far from what you paid for last year's models. The B2 variants currently on offer range from a $1,499 55-inch version through to a $3,299 77-inch edition. The C2s you can buy vary from a $1,499 48-inch screen through to a $3,499 77-inch set, while the G2 is available in 65-inch ($2,999) and 77-inch ($3,999) flavors. Third-party dealers will carry the new models starting in April.

Both the most affordable and priciest sets will take longer to reach your living room. The $1,399 42-inch C2 won't arrive until May, and neither the entry-level A2 nor the gargantuan 97-inch G2 have received prices or release dates. The 83-inch C2 ($5,499), 55-inch G2 ($2,199) and 83-inch G2 ($6,499) ship in April. You'll also have to wait until April for the Z2 series 8K OLED sets, although the 77- and 88-inch sets' respective $12,999 and $24,999 prices will rule them out for most viewers.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
That 83" G2 is actually not terribly priced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It’s giving me bad thoughts and if I didn’t want to give up on 3d yet, I would probably replace my 65” C6 with it.

But the lack of 3d now combined with the fact that there really haven’t been THAT many panel enhancements will let me wait and just use my new laser projector at 100” to scratch the big screen itch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Is anybody using their TV as a second or third monitor? I've got mine connected now and seemingly working but windows does some strange stuff when turning it on. The sound of hardware disconnected and then connected happen in windows when turning on the TV and the other two monitors blink for a couple seconds until it sorts itself out. Then everything seems to work fine.

1080p 60hz monitor, DP to DVI cable
1440p 144hz monitor, DP
LG C1 HDMI with active cable
3080 GPU with drivers up to date

Any ideas what I could check?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
77" C1 coming tomorrow, gentlemen!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont think you can escape your issue, thats why I shunned multi monitor setups until I ended up getting a dock for my laptop and use that to drive the two screens flanking my main.

On the topic of PC-TV, I'm going to run a HDMI from my office out to the living room (just across the hall). Can someone recommend me a 25' cable thats 4k@60 qualified? Some worrying reviews on the amazon basics stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bull3964 posted:

But the lack of 3d now combined with the fact that there really haven’t been THAT many panel enhancements will let me wait and just use my new laser projector at 100” to scratch the big screen itch.
Get a Quest 2 headset and you can have a giant screen without the hassle of laser projectors (which suck unless you drop 18k on a Large Installation machine)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Suburban Dad posted:

Is anybody using their TV as a second or third monitor? I've got mine connected now and seemingly working but windows does some strange stuff when turning it on. The sound of hardware disconnected and then connected happen in windows when turning on the TV and the other two monitors blink for a couple seconds until it sorts itself out. Then everything seems to work fine.

1440p 144hz monitor, DP

The Windows flickering once when turning on my C1 has always happened, in Windows 10 and 11 and even if I have the display disabled. Not sure there is anything you can do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

I dont think you can escape your issue, thats why I shunned multi monitor setups until I ended up getting a dock for my laptop and use that to drive the two screens flanking my main.

On the topic of PC-TV, I'm going to run a HDMI from my office out to the living room (just across the hall). Can someone recommend me a 25' cable thats 4k@60 qualified? Some worrying reviews on the amazon basics stuff.

25 feet? You'll want an active powered optical cable. Be prepared to shell out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Get a Quest 2 headset and you can have a giant screen without the hassle of laser projectors (which suck unless you drop 18k on a Large Installation machine)

A VR headset has nowhere near the full resolution of 3d OLED TV. It’s a poor substitute and a PITA to setup on top of it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rusty posted:

The Windows flickering once when turning on my C1 has always happened, in Windows 10 and 11 and even if I have the display disabled. Not sure there is anything you can do.

Welp, poo poo. One time everything went black and I had to hard reboot but I guess I'll deal.

codo27 posted:

The one I'm using from monoprice is working fine, despite the dumb windows stuff. I'm able to do 120hz in 4k.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43327

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 22, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My LG's box opened around the tv. Tv kept sitting on the floor. I installed vesa mount brackets to tv, and moved the tv from floor to the vesa stand. It could not have been easier.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Suburban Dad posted:

I just started using my C1 and I wish there were more CEC settings. It behaves in a way that breaks my habits from my TV from 2011. Why can't I just use my consoles and such to turn it on, and not have it wake up consoles at seemingly random when enabling it (CEC)? Maybe I'm still getting used to it but it seems really odd so far.
Yeah I *hate* this. Honestly XBOX does it really well, you have full control over which CEC features work and how they respond to it, but I think it's generally the TV OS these days that just sends the right signals (that you can adjust) so the Playstation side didn't bother to add the same features to their machine.

But I want to say the PS4 did it as well so idk what's up, really annoyed about the PS5 always turning on and taking the control of the signal. At like LQ IQ app is a fast fix.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

A VR headset has nowhere near the full resolution of 3d OLED TV. It’s a poor substitute and a PITA to setup on top of it.

3d blurays are at best 1080p. Flat video on quest 2 is about 720p. so that is true. But PITA to setup? you put the headset on and watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikusR posted:

3d blurays are at best 1080p. Flat video on quest 2 is about 720p. so that is true. But PITA to setup? you put the headset on and watch.

You are kinda skipping a few steps there since you can’t actually just plug the quest into a blu-ray player.

And the quality loss would be huge. I have a quest (first gen, but still, not a huge difference). 3d blu-ray on an LG oled is better than theater quality. There’s ZERO crosstalk. None, nada. That simply can’t be said for any VR headset and that’s even before you have to deal with the fresnel lens god rays.

It’s the difference between it being a party trick curiosity vs a cinematic experience.

Watch something like Coraline on 3d LG OLED and it actually adds to the story. They used different depth maps between the two worlds (the ‘other’ world being dialed up beyond reality) and it adds so much to the narrative.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 22, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
and also you've got a giant hunk of plastic strapped to your face

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know I’m repeating myself, but it’s really cool how they used 3d to tell the story in Coraline. It makes it clear to me that it was never meant to be seen in 2d.

The ‘other’ world is meant to be more appealing than the real world and they use 3d to that effect by dialing up the depth. Along with all the food and fun activities and the vibrant colors that entice Coraline to stay, the viewer also wants to stay in the ‘other’ world because the 3d effect is so pronounced. The ‘real’ world looks rather flat by comparison (it’s still 3d, just with a more modest depth effect).

Then, as things start to unwind in the ‘other’ world, the depth is used to grotesque effect, skewing proportions, narrowing the perspective to create the feeling of being trapped.

It’s an excellent example of using new media technology as a way to enhance a story being told and it’s a travesty that most people can’t experience the movie that way.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Suburban Dad posted:

This is a Windows problem called Rapid Hot Plug Detect and since they posted that blog they decided not to make the fix available in mainline Windows 10, only Windows 11. There are some registry edits you can google to try to keep it from resizing windows, but people report inconsistent results from them. The only consistent way I've found to avoid it is to use HDMI for all monitors except primary, but that may not be available to you. Some monitors have options to turn off Hot Plug Detection in their hardware, so check for yours.

It sucks, I hate it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

This is a Windows problem called Rapid Hot Plug Detect and since they posted that blog they decided not to make the fix available in mainline Windows 10, only Windows 11. There are some registry edits you can google to try to keep it from resizing windows, but people report inconsistent results from them. The only consistent way I've found to avoid it is to use HDMI for all monitors except primary, but that may not be available to you. Some monitors have options to turn off Hot Plug Detection in their hardware, so check for yours.

It sucks, I hate it.

Wow, thanks for this explanation. It sent me down a rabbit hole trying a couple programs people on reddit suggested that might help but they didn't work either. Ugh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bull3964 posted:

And, again, a laser projector sucks rear end unless you're getting a 50 lb Panasonic with 10,000 lumens.

Unless your use case is "totally dark media room batcave" you're better off grabbing a VR headset if you want to feel like you have a 100' screen.

Source: guy whose friend has the latest Hisense 4k Laser projector with ALR and it was not as nice as an OLED

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hence my holding on to my C6 until it dies and hoping against hope a viable solution pops up.

If I wanted to watch the discs in VR, I would just hold on to my PS4 Pro and use PSVR. Unfortunately, the PS5 doesn't have 3d support in its blu-ray player.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m glad I had an OLED that had 3D capabilities, but I’ve seen pretty much everything I need to and there’s pretty much zero chance of anything I care about being released in the format going forward. It’s not a feature I’ll personally care about when I have to replace this screen, which is hopefully a long long time away still.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FilthyImp posted:

And, again, a laser projector sucks rear end unless you're getting a 50 lb Panasonic with 10,000 lumens.

Unless your use case is "totally dark media room batcave" you're better off grabbing a VR headset if you want to feel like you have a 100' screen.

Source: guy whose friend has the latest Hisense 4k Laser projector with ALR and it was not as nice as an OLED

haha I was actually idly surfing them (they’re out of my price range for now) and one of them was $6k and 4K lumens. Unironically if you want a super nice ultra-short-throw projector, are they good then? They’re basically just really nice UST projectors right?

$6k is out but tbh I’ve thought about getting one of the non UST 4K projectors for $1.6k or the 1080p for I think $700. Yeah OLED is better for sitting down and watching but projectors are really flexible if you ever need to take it somewhere and use it. Spare room to entertain the family kids at a party, show pictures at a wedding, whatever. I actually have a turbo lovely 2000 vintage classroom projector (Epaon Powerlite 8150i?) that is only XGA native and is a million watt blast furnace, but it’s super fun to watch a movie in bed on the wall or whatever. It would be a nice toy to have for those occasional times.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Suburban Dad posted:

1440p 144hz monitor, DP

I do not have these issues with a similar config, but I keep the TV set to a different input and disabled in Windows when I'm not using it with my PC. Both of those things definitely could have an effect. I just moved so I don't have the TV hooked back up to my PC yet, but if I think about it I might test tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, in Windows 11, the windows do a pretty good job of sticking to their location when you get the flicker, but my main monitor still turns off and on when turning on the TV even when the TV is disabled as a monitor in windows.