Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Whoever said The Adam Project is Ryan Reynolds downplaying his schtick fully lied lol, if anything the fact that there are two of them at roughly 80% Deadpool mode means you get 160% Deadpool mode

LOL they must have been trolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAjP9HCqk4I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

Double Toasted did a good review of the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WE64UbC6Rg

never watched this channel before, thanks for this!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

precision posted:

never watched this channel before, thanks for this!

It blows my mind they don’t have 1 million+ subscribers.

Not just due to their quality but also production values. That studio and setup is very professional.

Skooms posted:

Thank you for sharing this!

Anytime. The creator has a lot of great stuff despite some thumbnail images giving off a clickbaity vibe.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Kid Ryan Reynolds was the best part, he nailed it. If you see a couple of scenes with him and think "now the movie is even MORE annoying" you should probably just turn it off.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was trying to remember the last genuinely great movie Ryan Reynolds was in while I was watching it and came to the realization that outside of the first Deadpool being way better than it should have been I had to go all the way back to Adventureland. Its almost like a psychological trick where he's super likable despite being in 90% bad-to-average films.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't find him likeable at all

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ryan Reynolds is super annoying and unlikable. I can’t even imagine how bad a child version of him would be.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

RCarr posted:

Ryan Reynolds is super annoying and unlikable. I can’t even imagine how bad a child version of him would be.

Younger

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My go-to Ryan Reynolds recommendation for those who want to see another side of him is The Voices.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't even mean likable in films, I mean he just seems like a generally inoffensive nice guy without any weird baggage (Tom Cruise, Chris Pratt, etc) who gained the general love of nerd culture when he rallied to be Deadpool for years and then and they did it and it turned out as well as it possibly could, so I feel like I was subconsciously giving him way more credit than I should despite him being bad most of the time

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Voices actively plays on your existing Ryan Reynolds assumptions. It toys with its audience like a cat with a mouse.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

RCarr posted:

a valid opinion, but apparently not a common one based on the fact that he's in loving everything

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It's been a minute since I've seen it, but I remember liking Ryan Reynolds in Buried. Not great, not terrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
I definitely don't outright dislike him but his post deadpool shtick is wearing thin. He's not incapable of landing a zinger and tbh both Deadpool movies were pretty good, but I'm not enjoying deapool 24/7 as his "thing" and it doesn't help that Adam Project and that NPC movie weren't particularly well written.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

isaboo posted:

It's been a minute since I've seen it, but I remember liking Ryan Reynolds in Buried. Not great, not terrible.

he carried the gimmick pretty well. a bad actor woulda sunk that movie for sure. imagine being trapped in a box with Chris Pratt or something yeesh.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I don’t mind Ryan Reynolds schtick but the dude is everywhere and it gets old. I can’t even watch a YouTube video without him showing up to push aviation gin or mint mobile or whatever other company he’s involved in now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Kind of how people just seemed to get really sick of Seth Rogen after a while. Although Seth Rogen is actually really good imo. Reynolds is just kind of there. Still I get why people just got tired of seeing Seth Rogen in everything.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

in my mind, Ryan Reynolds built his career around Whedonisms before they were Whedonisms and in 20 years he hasn't evolved as a comedian or actor at all. i don't know how it's held up, but Pineapple Express was the hardest I had ever laughed in a theater outside of Jackass, and IMO Reynolds has never delivered a comedy like that. and like imagine Reynolds dropping his ironic detachment long enough to play a really transgressive, pathetic loser like Rogen in Observe and Report. they're just not comparable

Buried was okay, but when I think of recent "one-man show" movies, I think of Locke with Tom Hardy which is just better in every conceivable way.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 18, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kind of crazy though, if you went back in time and told me "hey yeah, the douchebag in Waiting? Gonna be one of the biggest stars in the country when he's in his 40s"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

God Hole posted:

in my mind, Ryan Reynolds built his career around Whedonisms before they were Whedonisms and in 20 years he hasn't evolved as a comedian or actor at all.
He's definitely leaning on the one type of character that plays well and makes the money as he ages, very much like The Rock.

He was good in Safe House, though some of that could be Denzel inspiring anyone acting opposite him to up their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IfQY4fNcnw

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 18, 2022

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1504447227028291595

a reminder that a lot of mgm-branded movies are with warner

but they still have a lot to play with now

Do they have the sg1 rights now?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our Flag Means Death continues to be silly and alright.

I think the best bit about the show is that it is entirely based on a real guy that decided to get into piracy with absolutely no knowledge of it and teamed up with Blackbeard. What I thought was just a funny way to show the dude was complete in over his head (paying his pirate crew wages instead of bounty) is a thing he really did!

Anyway the show is fun and the performances are good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember seeing the MGM lion a bunch as a kid when watching old B+W movies. It'd be nice to have them on Amazon.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

precision posted:

It's kind of crazy though, if you went back in time and told me "hey yeah, the douchebag in Waiting? Gonna be one of the biggest stars in the country when he's in his 40s"

Was that before or after he got buff?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fast and Furious 9 is the first and last of of these Transformerless Transformer movies I'll watch.

I want to say this is the last blockbuster I fall for because they have actors I love in it but each time it's just them getting peed on by bumblebee.

I will fail

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Was that before or after he got buff?

During? His thing just hadn't been played out for twenty years at that point, so he was the most memorable part. I loved that movie when I was in high school, I knew it wasn't great but it reminded me of the job I was working, right down to the parking lot of the restaurant.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Is Walk Among the Tombstones good? I saw it got added to Netflix and I am wandering if its boilerplate Liam Neeson (Taken, etc.) or something worth a watch.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

doctorfrog posted:

I remember seeing the MGM lion a bunch as a kid when watching old B+W movies. It'd be nice to have them on Amazon.

I'm almost certain that B+W MGM catalogue is WarnerMedia property.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

During? His thing just hadn't been played out for twenty years at that point, so he was the most memorable part. I loved that movie when I was in high school, I knew it wasn't great but it reminded me of the job I was working, right down to the parking lot of the restaurant.

i feel like it occupies a similar cultural role as Empire Records; a movie that is total garbage but many people have nostalgia for

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/AutomaticZen/status/1504643287742824450
https://twitter.com/EddieRobson/status/1504578294557167622
https://twitter.com/agenderarcee/status/1504649177694974011

Mr. Toodles posted:

Is Walk Among the Tombstones good? I saw it got added to Netflix and I am wandering if its boilerplate Liam Neeson (Taken, etc.) or something worth a watch.
It is absolutely not boilerplate Liam Neeson, it's a straight up neo noir (adapted from a novel) with a lot of detective work and uncovering increasing layers of corruption and dirty secrets and a lot less angry action man getting revenge than you expect from him. If you adjust your expectations accordingly you might like it, even if it's not great.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 18, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

uhhh looks like theres a new dramedy series starring Amy Schumer and Michael Cera up on hulu

dare I

also apparently netflix produced a spinoff big mouth series about the shame wizard. I'm cleaning my bong right now but I plan to watch it after the weed delivery lady gets here wish me luck dudes

its going to be just... awful

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 18, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

This makes sense as Netflix has so much headway in North America that it’s best to focus on other markets. It also makes sense why they focus so much on “foreign content”.

Saying that, they run the risk of their competitors chipping away their market share which seems to be occurring.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 18, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

uhhh looks like theres a new dramedy series starring Amy Schumer and Michael Cera up on hulu

dare I

it's actuallly quite enjoyable and funny... then again i'm the last person on earth who still admits to liking Amy Schumer

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is she the one who bragged about molesting her little sister or am I thinking of someone else

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I don't disagree. The bit where he let her go even after she had just recently mutilated his son definitely felt forced in order to stretch out our time with the character. If they had ended it there I think it would have been fine.

I was almost willing to think the "redemption arc" was valid when she traveled with Pyrlig and he helped her process her grief. But then there's the convenient dying Dane on the road who tells her all the right things to make her come up with an excuse to stab my man Pyrlig (who could have bashed her head in with a rock many times if he had any ill intent at all) I was done

Stiorra did nothing wrong

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

Is she the one who bragged about molesting her little sister or am I thinking of someone else

no that's lena dunham, the one that isn't funny

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Amy Schumer show is good so far

lol the trainer character is my favorite so far

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Edward Mass posted:

I'm almost certain that B+W MGM catalogue is WarnerMedia property.

Ugh, I was hoping that this signaled the loosening of old movies from their claws.

Netflix is going to test out charging for password sharing: https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-will-soon-test-charging-fee-sharing-passwords-outside-households-2022-3

Pretty sure I can live without seeing the ending to Ozark.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 18, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New releases I saw today and recommend:

Deep Water is dumb cheesy fun and maybe the most entertaining I've found Affleck in a long time?

Windfall is 90 minutes of an attempted robbery going comically and horribly wrong (Jason Segel breaking into the home of Jesse Plemons and Lily Collins) in every way. I've seen a lot of films this year so far, I've liked and loved a lot; this is one of my favs somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation

doctorfrog posted:

Ugh, I was hoping that this signaled the loosening of old movies from their claws.

Netflix is going to test out charging for password sharing: https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-will-soon-test-charging-fee-sharing-passwords-outside-households-2022-3

Pretty sure I can live without seeing the ending to Ozark.

Cool. The only reason I keep Netflix is that my family all uses my account. Easy cancel, and I can spend the 15 bux on a better service.