Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stick it in release date order with the rest of the Coen Bros stuff, where ever that happens to currently fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Casimir Radon posted:

Stick it in release date order with the rest of the Coen Bros stuff, where ever that happens to currently fit.

This is the correct answer.

I group things by director, studio, boutique label, and format. For instance all the Criterion are together, except for Punch Drunk Love, which is with the PTA collection. All Steelbooks are together, except The Master, which is again with the PTAs, and the Pixars, which are with the Pixars, which are next to (but not mixed in with) the Disney animated films. Never bought a Disney animated film in Steelbook format because I can not fathom splitting up the SB family even more.

Kinos are together, Warners Archive are together, Arrows are together (including Mallrats, which is NOT with the Kevin Smith collection.) DVDs are generally separate from Blu-rays, though they will be in collections when necessary (Hard Eight with the PTAs (gently caress the overpriced FOMO [imprint] label), Kino DVDs I missed on Blu with the Kino Blus, etc.)

This leads to odd matters like Rocky Horror and Shock Treatment, which ought to be together, being far apart (RHPS in Steelbooks, Shock Treatment in the Arrow quiver.)

Most of these collections are ordered chronologically. Unaffiliated Steelbooks are sorted by how visually appealing they look together, since Steelbooks are primarily art objects.

My record collection has similar hierarchy.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Is there a distributor out there that deals in releases of old Hong Kong cinema stuff? Your Mr. Vampires and Lucky Stars and so on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This past year I switched to a chronological system where each film is placed within the decade it was released, but then within each decade everything is alphabetical. So all I need to know is the decade of release and then I can easily find the movie alphabetically from there.

The reason I did it is I found myself most often in moods where I wanted something from a specific era. Like oh tonight I'm the mood for some classic Technicolor, or a schlocky 80s action movie, or a big modern blockbuster, whatever.

I do have a separate shelf for larger box sets with films from multiple decades in them though.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

Is there a distributor out there that deals in releases of old Hong Kong cinema stuff? Your Mr. Vampires and Lucky Stars and so on.

Eureka has some good ones if you can play region b.

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/mr-vampire/
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/the-lucky-stars-3-film-collection/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My shelves are pure unadulterated random chaos and I love it.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Unfortunately I'm in North America, so I only have region A compatibility.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I don’t have the best storage option so everything is genre and alphabetical. Top of the shelf is odd shaped boxes.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have any reccomendations for movies to buy from Kino? I just realized I've never gotten anything from them.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Strange Cares posted:

Sadly I don’t know if any of these are going to get Region A releases any time soon, it might be worth looking into a region free Blu Ray player.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Does anyone have any reccomendations for movies to buy from Kino? I just realized I've never gotten anything from them.

I'm sure Egbert will hop in with a list to put anyone to shame, but before he does:

UHDs of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Mad Max; Touch of Evil; Some Like It Hot.

Otherwise, blurays of -

Runaway Train
Hell in the Pacific
The Last Valley
The Lion in Winter
Legend of the Mountain
The Rain Maker
The Long Goodbye
Gorky Park

There's a ton of interesting stuff, and Egbert will probably point you in a million interesting directions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Their Silence of the Lambs UHD is excellent. As is the Hannibal UHD, if you like that movie of course.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Thieves Like Us is good, early Altman
Battleship Potemkin is one of the greatest films ever made

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Their Mario Bava stuff has all looked great, if you're into classic Italian horror.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cabin Boy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ExplodingChef posted:

Is there a CD consensus at all about any region free 4k UHD players? I want to upgrade to a UHD player, and would like to go region free primarily for importing better editions of horror movies :P.

Amazon has a number of them, but reviews seem all over the map.

Something to keep in mind, if u have a region free bluray player u don't need a region free uhd player, uhds are region free. Might save ya some bucks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Their Mario Bava stuff has all looked great, if you're into classic Italian horror.

I forgot that the Black Sunday blu I bought last year is from Kino. I highly recommend that one.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Sadly I don’t know if any of these are going to get Region A releases any time soon, it might be worth looking into a region free Blu Ray player.

I mean, I also have a dvd player, I'm happy to buy in that format as well.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Wow lots of suggestions, thanks everyone. I'm going to get a bunch. I've never seen Black Sunday though, should I get the AIP version?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Wow lots of suggestions, thanks everyone. I'm going to get a bunch. I've never seen Black Sunday though, should I get the AIP version?

Get the original version, the AIP version cuts out some of the more violent stuff and I think even changes some of the dialogue to tone it down a little for American audiences (IIRC they are both in English but some lines were re-recorded)

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Sweet thanks.

I was doing some research also into region free players and saw a Reddit post that says this;

Most people will recommend getting a modified model from somewhere like 220 electronics, but it's worth noting that the Panasonic UB420 (and 820 allegedly) has the ability to circumvent region codes right out of the box. When you get to the region lock screen, just press 'stop' > 'top menu' and voila, it takes you straight to the main menu. Works on every region locked title I've tried. Everyone is very adamant that the only way to beat region locks is with a hacked player (like the ones 220 sells) so it's strange to me that this trick isn't more widely known. In fact, I was convinced by this sub to buy a separate region free player and I used it happily for months until I learned this trick from an offhand remark from someone on the criterion sub, but by then it was too late to return it. These are widely considered to be some of the best 4K players on the market, so it's a no-brainer to just pick up either the 420 or the 820 and forget about buying a separate, region-free player. The only difference is the 820 has Dolby Vision while the 420 does not.

Wonder if that works

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only complaint about the cheapest Sony from 220 is that there are no controls on the player itself so you can’t start a movie if you were dumb and forgot you remote somewhere.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I went off the deep end lol. Here's what I picked up today online:

LG BP165 Region Free Blu Ray Player from 220 Electornics (literally three of my favorite movies EVER are only coming out in Region B - Warriors, Wicker Man & The Witch)

Kino:
The Last Valley
The Lion in Winter
Legend of the Mountain
Black Sunday

Amazon:
Touch of Evil 4k
Versus + Ultimate Versus

DiabolikDVD:
Come Drink with Me
Cinematic Vengeance Box Set
Martial Law DVD Set
The Wwith 4k Special Edition Pre Order

$500 later :negative:

Now to find The Warriors & Wicker Man to pre order

Any other notable region B discs? :suicide:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This UK label puts out some great box sets that are mostly region b, some are region free iirc.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

88 Films is good too and just started distributing in the US. https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product-category/browse-by-label/88films/88us/
Otherwise Arrow and Criterion have been doing more lately, so while there's a lot of catching up to do with the UK releases things are looking up for Hong Kong blurays in the US.

Or you could get into Hong Kong imports as they are also region A. Picture and English sub quality are all over the map though, so ymmv. I usually use dddhouse to order from HK.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Do any of you have this?

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/lighthouse-limited-japanese-boxset-blu-ray/

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

FancyMike posted:

88 Films is good too and just started distributing in the US. https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product-category/browse-by-label/88films/88us/
Otherwise Arrow and Criterion have been doing more lately, so while there's a lot of catching up to do with the UK releases things are looking up for Hong Kong blurays in the US.

Or you could get into Hong Kong imports as they are also region A. Picture and English sub quality are all over the map though, so ymmv. I usually use dddhouse to order from HK.

Awesome, I'll check these out, thanks!

EDIT: OH SNAP THEY HAVE A YOKAI MONSTERS COLLECTION: https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/yokai-monsters-collection/13516459.html

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 18, 2022

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Any other notable region B discs? :suicide:

If you buy direct, Eureka ships free to the US and they have a great catalog. I've been buying pretty much all their Hong Kong releases for a while, and some others too. I'd hope these would get region A releases eventually, but here's some I'd call essential that don't yet:

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/iron-monkey/
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/wheels-on-meals/
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/jackie-chans-project-a-and-project-a-part-ii-2/
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/drunken-master/ (this one is actually region free)
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/dreadnaught/

https://88-films.myshopify.com/products/story-of-ricky?_pos=1&_sid=3a1aa3cf1&_ss=r

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Thanks for the reccomendations Fancy Mike & others. I spent so much money.

I bought that super limited edition Lighthouse blu ray set also :suicide:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1504886861159936011?t=jKoefkzdDHGbgbZl-79e4g&s=19

Dope

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There used to be a store in my town that only opened sporadically that would import Korean/Chinese/Japanese boxsets, too much of my money went there. Japanese stuff always just so expensive due to their insane media pricing, but the Korean stuff could be had pretty cheaply in comparison. That sweater is pro as gently caress, and I would gladly sweat my rear end off in the 100 degree summer here to wear it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cotton Comes to Harlem.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Put it in me. :fap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I really want Drive on UHD but I don't want any of the extra stuff cluttering up my shelf. I'd just be putting the disc in my binder anyway.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm sure Egbert will hop in with a list to put anyone to shame, but before he does:

UHDs of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Mad Max; Touch of Evil; Some Like It Hot.

Otherwise, blurays of -

Runaway Train
Hell in the Pacific
The Last Valley
The Lion in Winter
Legend of the Mountain
The Rain Maker
The Long Goodbye
Gorky Park

There's a ton of interesting stuff, and Egbert will probably point you in a million interesting directions.

Too late, it seems, but Kino Lorber has a sale coming up on the 24th.

Their UHDs have been excellent. My copy of Touch of Evil is delayed because they managed to run out of the first pressing already (which means they've sold more than 5000). The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is finally a mostly definitive version. Frame-accurate international cut with color matched to original dye-transfer prints, with remastered mono audio reportedly taken from the 90s laserdisc master (sounds amazing). While they opted not to bother doing a UHD disc of the extended cut, they did include the scenes exclusive to it in 4K as a bonus feature on the disc. Good call since it's simply not a good version. And they just announced A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, which are also brand new 4K masters with corrected color grading.

I'll try to do a video highlighting the sale titles. They're rivaling Criterion for shelf space on my collection and them getting a lot of Criterion titles is helping.

Cloks posted:

Thieves Like Us is good, early Altman
Battleship Potemkin is one of the greatest films ever made

CPL593H posted:

Cotton Comes to Harlem.

Both Thieves Like Us and Cotton Comes to Harlem recently went OOP as they were unable to renew the rights to some MGM titles. Good chance that Cotton Comes to Harlem ends up with a Criterion disc (Kino's disc uses an old master and has no extras) and maybe even Thieves Like Us since it's Altman. Neither have a particularly good master, so they're ripe for 4K remasters.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I would love for Criterion to do a complete Robert Altman. He's one of my favorite directors, and so many of his films are hard to find.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Remember when they announced Drive for 4K and the box art was this?

:gonk:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Too late, it seems, but Kino Lorber has a sale coming up on the 24th.

Their UHDs have been excellent. My copy of Touch of Evil is delayed because they managed to run out of the first pressing already (which means they've sold more than 5000). The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is finally a mostly definitive version. Frame-accurate international cut with color matched to original dye-transfer prints, with remastered mono audio reportedly taken from the 90s laserdisc master (sounds amazing). While they opted not to bother doing a UHD disc of the extended cut, they did include the scenes exclusive to it in 4K as a bonus feature on the disc. Good call since it's simply not a good version. And they just announced A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, which are also brand new 4K masters with corrected color grading.

I'll try to do a video highlighting the sale titles. They're rivaling Criterion for shelf space on my collection and them getting a lot of Criterion titles is helping.

Both Thieves Like Us and Cotton Comes to Harlem recently went OOP as they were unable to renew the rights to some MGM titles. Good chance that Cotton Comes to Harlem ends up with a Criterion disc (Kino's disc uses an old master and has no extras) and maybe even Thieves Like Us since it's Altman. Neither have a particularly good master, so they're ripe for 4K remasters.

I try not to double dip but I would buy the poo poo out of a Cotton Comes to Harlem blu-ray from Criterion.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Lol figures there's a Kino sale soon. Oh well.

You also talked me into buying the 4k of The Good :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cemetry Gator posted:

I would love for Criterion to do a complete Robert Altman. He's one of my favorite directors, and so many of his films are hard to find.

I just watched O.C and Stiggs and HealtH yesterday and had the same thought. I'm sure Egbert knows more about this but I bet it's a real rat's nest of rights with all his movies.