Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh christ my roommate just put on boondock saints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao star trek loving sucks always has

basically anything with stars in it that isn’t communism is terrible

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

uncle ruckus, no relation

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

Tell him about Scott Adkins and suggest avengement, ninja 2 or accident man

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so lets see modern star trek loves elon musk and stacey abrams but old star trek has low key cameos from the king of jordan and paul williams are there any other bizarre references im forgetting

oh yeah dwayne johnson was in one once before he could get people to take him seriously as an actor that was funny as hell

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Star Trek is deader than Star Wars.

I really wish they would make more episodes of The Orville.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
star trek tos was interesting it's more 'what is to be human' level episodes, more of a human study. like the nazi episodes and that sort of thing. gene was pretty hamfisted and kinda grody but it definitely would have been novel for 1960 main stream to go "what if discrimination for any reason... is bad???". those went away in favor of pew pew travelling space lizards and photon torpedos pewpew. but it also still had a lot of lovely episodes

ds9 was fine, imo a little overrated by the internets but also underrated in general populace. all others are pretty bad unless its like being 13 years old staring at 7of9's tits

twilight zone was still far superior for that thing and kicked rear end. but still, for 1960s leave it to beaver era garbage, tos was good.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Star Trek is deader than Star Wars.

I really wish they would make more episodes of The Orville.
good. and yes.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Some Guy TT posted:

so lets see modern star trek loves elon musk and stacey abrams but old star trek has low key cameos from the king of jordan and paul williams are there any other bizarre references im forgetting

oh yeah dwayne johnson was in one once before he could get people to take him seriously as an actor that was funny as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hQSQGu59Y

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

what do the goblins have to rebel against dont they already control all the worlds money

When they lose the rebellion they are forced to become bankers and merchants

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I'm watching the documentary In Search of the Last Action Hero which is pretty fun

but modern day Ronny Cox is freaking me out in how much he looks like one the TRUMP thread face morphs

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also I had no idea Die Hard was based on this book with a pretty cool cover

also Al Leong (every 80s asian bad guy) thought it was going to bomb because Rickman was talking too slow lol

quote:

Retired NYPD detective Joe Leland is visiting the 40-story office headquarters of the Klaxon Oil Corporation in Los Angeles on Christmas Eve, where his daughter Stephanie Leland Gennaro works.

While he is waiting for his daughter's Christmas party to end, a group of German Autumn–era terrorists take over the skyscraper. The gang is led by the brutal Anton "Little Tony the Red" Gruber. Joe had known about Gruber through a counter-terrorism conference he had attended years prior. Barefoot, Leland slips away and manages to remain undetected in the gigantic office complex. Armed with only his Browning Pistol and in communication with Los Angeles Police sergeant Al Powell and his belligerent supervisor, Leland fights off the terrorists one by one in an attempt to save the 74 hostages, his daughter and grandchildren.

After executing the CEO of the Klaxon building, Mr. Rivers, Gruber and the terrorists proceed to steal documents that will publicly expose the Klaxon corporation's dealings with Chile's junta. They also intend to deprive Klaxon of the proceeds of the corrupt deal of $6,000,000 in cash by attempting to access a safe. Leland intersects with this plan by stealing explosives and progressively killing terrorists and receiving multiple injuries in the process.

Leland kills most of the terrorists and despite no help from the police, faces off with the leader of the terrorist group, Anton Gruber who is holding his daughter hostage. Gruber falls to his death after being shot by Leland. Blaming Klaxon for the terrorist attack, Leland throws the cash out of the window himself. Once Leland is back on the street the last terrorist, Karl, who was presumed dead earlier, returns and starts a shooting rampage, killing police and a doctor in the process, before Sgt Powell finally kills him allowing Leyland to receive medical care.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ds9 had iggy pop

also we're living through a golden age of netflix funding anything and everything in their quest to outpace traditional media orgs deciding they can do their own streaming service, complaining that it's not curated is missing the forest for the trees imo

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

i say swears online posted:

2 is transcendentally bad and has Peter loving Fonda as an italian mob boss you should give it a try some time

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

josh04 posted:

ds9 had iggy pop

also we're living through a golden age of netflix funding anything and everything in their quest to outpace traditional media orgs deciding they can do their own streaming service, complaining that it's not curated is missing the forest for the trees imo

G-goon project?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Comes up before but it's not like you're expected to watch and like literally everything on streaming services; they're replacing broadcast TV, and that means having trash reality shows, soap operas, documentaries, etc etc.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Durf posted:

I'm watching the documentary In Search of the Last Action Hero which is pretty fun

but modern day Ronny Cox is freaking me out in how much he looks like one the TRUMP thread face morphs

lmfao drat he really does

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Durf posted:

also I had no idea Die Hard was based on this book with a pretty cool cover

also Al Leong (every 80s asian bad guy) thought it was going to bomb because Rickman was talking too slow lol

lol i didn’t realize they were supposed to be like the RAF

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2022_American_television_debuts

Was just randomly looking at Wikipedia for new shows, and there are a few stands out.
Resident Evil and Magic the Gathering are getting a show?
Cuphead has a show?

Then there is poo poo like Hype House. It's reality TV show based around internet influencers. That stuff is going to be loving huge.

Boss Baby is a tv show now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

josh04 posted:

ds9 had iggy pop

yea but the problem is everything they make is bad or if it’s good (altered carbon s1) it gets defunded or fucjed with and turns bad (s2). and then ofc cancelled after the first or second season even if it’s good. some maybe okay shows also get worse like disenchantment and never get better.

Witcher is prob the best they actively haven’t cancelled at the moment tho we’ll see with season 3

I actually liked all the stranger things seasons but first was by far the best but others were at least decent enough

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Cuphead has a show?
yeah it wasn’t good. I was hoping for a Fleischer/steamboat willie styled show with maybe some goofy mid atlantic accents and it well under delivered all around. it’s all computer animation with a few specks of film grain filter

I’m not even sure if it’s entertaining enough for a 5 year old

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
gently caress Netflix forever for dumping Mindhunter

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Dropped Glow and American Vandal too which were the last Netflix stuff I liked that weren't "fantasy video game property" poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tricky D posted:

gently caress Netflix forever for dumping Mindhunter

Zerilan posted:

Dropped Glow and American Vandal too which were the last Netflix stuff I liked that weren't "fantasy video game property" poo poo.
I feel like these kinds of show shouldn't be that expensive to make? Are they chasing "monster hits", or were they really so unpopular that it wasn't worth it for Netflix to have a larger and more diverse catalogue?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like these kinds of show shouldn't be that expensive to make? Are they chasing "monster hits", or were they really so unpopular that it wasn't worth it for Netflix to have a larger and more diverse catalogue?

from what I understand, they cancel basically anything that isn't a monster hit between the second and third season because that's when they see the biggest drop-off for returning viewers. And to their credit - I did stop watching Stranger Things after the second season so maybe there's something to that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
also that’s when people start looking for raises

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
right. the only advantage seems to be that if you DO end up on a monster hit like Stranger Things or Orange Is The New Black, I feel like you get permanently added to the roster of "The Algorithm" and they let you write, direct, or be the lead in whatever you want to

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Wish I could find out the internal math equations in companies

Like, if it costs a million dollars to make something, how much do they want to get back? 4 million? 5 million? 20 million?

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Mar 18, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

also that’s when people start looking for raises

oh yeah def. all the stranger things ppl were like nobodies and now half are ‘real’ moviestars making $$$$. as they should make. mbut Netflix is most definitely not interested in ponying up to that degree

there’s also a reason the next one is the last one and being done a bit weird

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

will smith doing celebrity men psychoanalysis

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

netflix is cannon films for the streaming age

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
people at Netflix don’t take nearly enough cocaine to make canon movies

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

They're the Canon Films of the Adderall snorting era

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why does hollywood do less coke did they fry out all the receptors in their brains or something

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Judakel posted:

netflix is cannon films for the streaming age

Don't you dare make this comparison. Cannon films put out stuff with heart and confidence

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

indigi posted:

I don't know. I tried watching this when they first made it available and it seemed pretty coked out to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHwRal-AR8

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

mastershakeman posted:

Don't you dare make this comparison. Cannon films put out stuff with heart and confidence

confidence sure. heart? ehhhh

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

etalian posted:

At least the cameo for Stacy Abrams is sort of accurate?

Only in a fictional setting would a dem leader have any real power.

that might be progress for the party since dems don't seem to accomplish anything in other shows

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Travelers was pretty good would of been nice to see that concept with a higher budget

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
surprised nobody tried to remake New Years Evil with like a twitch streamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

indigi posted:

confidence sure. heart? ehhhh

have you ever watched jcvd's cyborg