Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lol I just did the back of the envelope and that's like 5 bucks more than the average cost of that many paper mythics and rares from NEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol I just did the back of the envelope and that's like 5 bucks more than the average cost of that many paper mythics and rares from NEO

looking at paper prices makes my head spin and i've already done too much math today, but i think average isn't what you want here as a straight comparison b/c the outliers are going to be both a lot cheaper and a lot more expensive & wildcards are generally going to be spent on the latter

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

flatluigi posted:

looking at paper prices makes my head spin and i've already done too much math today, but i think average isn't what you want here as a straight comparison b/c the outliers are going to be both a lot cheaper and a lot more expensive & wildcards are generally going to be spent on the latter

I think that's more than offset by the infinitely superior fungibility of paper cards though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Secret lairs be lookin like a great deal now!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
:aloom:

It could been a great platform. Good luck paying full paper prices for something you can't ever trade or resell.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think that's more than offset by the infinitely superior fungibility of paper cards though.

like i said, i've never been able to buy into paper magic so i don't have a good head for it but when a single boseiju costs $25 and a single wandering emperor costs $23 that seems like a hell of an upcharge for potentially being able to sell it off when i'm done with the cards (hoping that the cards haven't dropped severely in price because everyone else is also done with those cards)

it's just hard for me to understand going 'yeah, my paper deck cost six hundred more dollars than building it on arena but at least i might get some of that back' b/c i can't justify spending that much up front

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

A Moose posted:

huh wow I never thought I'd agree with twitch chat but twitch chat loving HATES alchemy

Seth probably better known as Saffron Olive mentioned that everytime he posts an Alchemy video on Youtube people unfollow his account and the videos get disliked bombed. A lot of people really hate alchemy in a way that I don't think they do any other format.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

neaden posted:

Seth probably better known as Saffron Olive mentioned that everytime he posts an Alchemy video on Youtube people unfollow his account and the videos get disliked bombed. A lot of people really hate alchemy in a way that I don't think they do any other format.

I really dislike alchemy. It's the cherry on top of an extremely expensive and greedy game. I still keep spending money on the prerelease packs but it's really a slap in the face, a wildcard sink to milk the whales.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Opinionated posted:

I really dislike alchemy. It's the cherry on top of an extremely expensive and greedy game. I still keep spending money on the prerelease packs but it's really a slap in the face, a wildcard sink to milk the whales.

speaking of, today wotc pushed the new player beginner set cards to alchemy only, causing a lot of grief for the casual players using them https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/tgde32/arena_beginner_set_cards_no_longer_allowed/

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Arivia posted:

speaking of, today wotc pushed the new player beginner set cards to alchemy only, causing a lot of grief for the casual players using them https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/tgde32/arena_beginner_set_cards_no_longer_allowed/

I was just trying to find information about that! I saw Hallowed Priest and Impassioned Orator were banned but couldn't find out why. Thanks, also very cool wotc appreciate you. Hopefully it's just a bug since it wasn't in their announcement.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It's not a bug. They want paper standard and digital standard to be 1 to 1.

This also has the upside(?) of funnelling new players towards the digital only format.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arena bad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/bobinchese/status/1504674418718560277

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Opinionated posted:

I was just trying to find information about that! I saw Hallowed Priest and Impassioned Orator were banned but couldn't find out why. Thanks, also very cool wotc appreciate you. Hopefully it's just a bug since it wasn't in their announcement.

According to those comments, it's not but there is a related bug where the Commander starter cards aren't unlocked for use in regular Brawl (stuff like Command Tower), and that will be fixed.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

drat, I wish I could back convert like that

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean, you could, it just wouldn't be legal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Salvor_Hardin posted:

this terrible $50 pack was designed for me (but lmao i am not going to take the bait)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

$50 for that hahaha, man. the only thing stopping me from quitting arena again is the fact that I actually never got back into it

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, you could also buy 1/30 of a Modern Jund deck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How many wildcards for 50 bucks would be reasonable to you folks

I think like, 20 rares, 10-12 mythic would be fine. Or 24 rare, 8 mythic. So double the wildcards compared to what they're offering, would be reasonable to me. Or half the cost for what they're offering, either or.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There has to be a breaking point where "just playable digital Magic" is not enough to cover for absolutely terrible economy but it doesn't look like we are at it yet

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

There has to be a breaking point where "just playable digital Magic" is not enough to cover for absolutely terrible economy but it doesn't look like we are at it yet

I mean, there's probably a point where people just go "wow gently caress this I'll just play some modern or pioneer or pauper on MTGO"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

How many wildcards for 50 bucks would be reasonable to you folks

A playset of the latest set.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I were to buy every rare and mythic on MTGO how much would it cost me vs buying them sixteen wildcards a time at $50 a pop lol

fatherboxx posted:

I think more than you’d expect. Fifty bucks gets a lot in paper/MTGO.

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 18, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/rosshunneds/status/1504577658704834562?s=21

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

If I were to buy every rare and mythic on MTGO how much would it cost me vs buying them sixteen wildcards a time at $50 a pop lol

Well.. on card kingdoms at least a single complete set, which is one of each card in the set, for most sets is between 150-400 dollars or so depending on what's in it. So probably like 400-1000 minus whatever the commons and uncommons are worth

Edit: oh I'm an idiot you said mtgo

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

fadam posted:

These are the prices for the current standard sets on mtggoldfish:

Zendikar rising: 267$ (paper) / 115 tickets (MTGO)
Kaldheim: 297$ (paper) / 63 tickets (MTGO)
Strixhaven: 187$ (paper) / 56 tickets (MTGO)
Forgotten realms: 257$ (paper) /178 tickets (MTGO)
Midnight hunt: 275$ (paper) / 176 tickets (MTGO)
Crimoson Vow: 180$ (paper) / 166 tickets (MTGO)
Neon Dynasty : 240$ (paper) / 120 tickets (MTGO)

"paper mtg economy" makes bulk rares really affordable, while competitive rares are absurdly expensive.
In Arena is the opposite: competitive rares (and decks) are way cheaper than on paper, while trash rares and tier 4 decks are way, way more expensive.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 18, 2022

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

A playset of the latest set for like 80 bucks would probably sell like crazy

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
What is the argument against dusting?

I have over 1000 common WC's and like 847 uncommon WC'S that will never get redeemed for actual cards

At a 100:1 ratio I'd gladly cash in 900 common WC's for 9 rare WC's because even at 100 common WC's left over I'll still never use them.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I have over 1000 common WC's and like 847 uncommon WC'S that will never get redeemed for actual cards

At a 100:1 ratio I'd gladly cash in 900 common WC's for 9 rare WC's because even at 100 common WC's left over I'll still never use them.

Basically it's

1. Dusting has to be tuned to the point that you need to dust inordinate amount of cards to get anything. Someone in the other thread did the maths and the way the vault currently works in Arena gives you about the same rate of wildcards as Hearthstone.

2. It really fucks up eternal formats because a common pattern is dusting every single rotating card the day they rotate. Which means if standard sucks you don't have a collection to go back to to play Historic or w/e so every constructed format aside from Standard withers away.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

They don't want people to dust regular cards because they don't want discussions around what cards are useless and should be dusted. They are open to the idea of converting wildcards as you describe, though it's not on their radar at the moment. Fundamentally, they are happy with the rate of card acquisition in terms of time played and money spent. That's the point of friction: users would like arena to be cheaper. WotC is happy with the price.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't find the Arena economy too overly punishing to play the decks I want to play and draft as much as I generally want to where I often spend ~$20 every six months or so, which seems reasonable to me. I can't go infinite but I also don't have too much time to play so I don't have to worry about it too often. The cycle has generally worked well enough.

Except with Alchemy, which blows this cycle up. And I solve that by not playing Alchemy ever.

Isn't the best solution here to use up all your common and uncommon wildcards right when a set starts so that when you open packs they immediately get turned into vault progress? I don't think its much, but its something?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If it was a dust economy do you really think you'd have gotten those 900 commons in the first place?

You can effectively convert those WCs into Vault progress by crafting the next set before you start opening boosters. 900 commons is one Vault I think. 300 uncommons, too?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dustin’ makes me feel good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dusting is extremely short term gains for long term loss - you might be able to make one deck marginally quicker but you're sacrificing all progress to make any other decks. if that first deck isn't good, or falls out of the meta, or rotates you're stuck with it until you rebuild the rest of your collection from scratch.

if you're a game that supports multiple formats as well, dusting massively drops the playerbase of nonprimary. formats - especially extended formats. people are incentivized to dust the cards that rotate out, and now it's much harder for them to ever get into those other formats.

also if you're rolling in c/uc wildcards: when a new set comes out, use those wildcards on cards in the set before you open any packs. boom, you've converted the wildcards into vault progress towards getting rare/mythic wildcards at about the effective rate you would if you were dusting them

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dusting a ton of my rotated cards to build a flavor-of-the-day Hearthstone deck was what finally got me to quit Hearthstone for good.

I know the term "feel-bad" gets sort of tossed around with the issue, but a week later I literally did feel bad. I was bored of that deck and my collection was gone, and it was just the easiest thing in the world to walk away from it. Even in the moment knowing it was an irrational psychological trick I was playing on myself, it just felt like "all my friends are gone now, what's keeping me here?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I really don't think dusting makes sense in arena.

I also think their greed and overall laziness isn't going to do favors for a big part what is required for the game, a healthy sized player base. Blizzard is a prime example of what happens when you push metrics, short term profits, and ignore your player base. They just didn't happen to benefit from a once in a lifetime collectible boom started by a pandemic.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The problem isn't dusting, it's just the taste that you get packs and gems. Legends of Runeterra doesn't have dusting or even reimbursements after nerds and no one cares because the game throws wildcard equivalents at you and lets you buy then cheaply and makes money off cosmetics, I don't see any reason why Arena couldn't switch over to that model, and go en how much they already charge for cosmetics it seems like they would make enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As an interesting example, the recently released yugioh master duel basically does a combination of dusting and wildcards, in that you dust cards into equivalent rarity materials. So dust a common get 10 common card points, dust a rare get 10 rare card points.

The rate at which card points can be used to make a new card is 30 of the matched rarity, so every 3 ultra-rares (mythics) you get that you don't want, can be turned into an ultra-rare you do want. Additionally the two "fancy" artwork versions (shiny, royal shiny) are worth 15 and 30 points respectively instead of the standard 10. Notably, you can in fact randomly craft them when crafting a card you want.

The economy on Master Duel is bad, but this is an example of how you might do a "fair" dusting system compared to the nightmare that is Hearthstone Dust.

Legends of Runeterra meanwhile, is just entirely free, automatically dusts cards when you get multiple copies, and gives out wild cards like candy.