Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

There was a time when the "man on the street" might have thought this though. I was trying to place it.

People have complained that the BBC is left wing in the sense of "pushing vaguely progressive/modern social views and satirising/criticising the cultural and political establishment" pretty much forever. Crusty old colonels from Berkshire said that the BBC airing Beyond The Fringe was unpatriotic and signs of sinister bolshevism at White City. People claimed that stuff like TW3 and Monty Python was destroying society and undermining British values, and The Wednesday Play (Cathy Come Home etc.) was left wing propaganda.

The wider notion amongst the Conservatives and their voter base that the BBC was a hostile force (the whole 'Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation' thing) seemed to really take off in the 1980s, especially after the Falklands War. Thatcher was outraged that the Beeb wasn't willing to be a one-sided mouthpiece of the British state and provided air time to people who didn't support the war or its conduct. Then the Corporation kept letting people critical of the government and pointing out the bad things resulting from its policies talk on the air or do comedy/satire about them.

Edit: Cat

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/stop1984/status/1504520584067117077?t=yQBBtgHQiLD0w4efDpmjcg&s=19

There's a c word I want to use but I hear it's not popular now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

“The BBC is left-wing” translates to “There are black and/or gay people on my TV and I don’t like it”

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a c word I want to use but I hear it's not popular now.

I got u fam

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

conservatism is a disease, it's ok to call it what it is

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It also trends more cosmopolitan and economically soft left than the roiling backwater of hatred that is the British printed press, but sometimes uses that to sneak through spicy 'debates' under the tone of ~reasonableness~

Whether the BBC is worth saving or not is always an interesting chat with comrades. It cuts to the heart of a reckoning that we need to have that feeds into the debate we had the other day about Carole Cadwalladr.

The BBC is undeniably to the left of Priti Patel, for example. I wouldn't say that dragging the centre away from the Priti Abyss has no value. I've argued here before that the tory destruction of the BBC shouldn't be entirely celebrated but I don't hold strong views on that. That's a way more academic point than the argument here the other day about making libel cases bought about by key, core facists stand up in court being cool and good, which I will stand behind.

Debates on the left nearly always spiral around this question...

Should we be willing to work with people who do not share our values specifically on occasions when they act in our interests?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Every day I think about that nice old Welsh lady who sincerely told Ed Milliband that the best way to deal with the Tories was to 'machine gun em'.

She was right.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

“The BBC is left-wing” translates to “There are black and/or gay people on my TV and I don’t like it”

"I'm not a racist, I just spend my evenings filling in a spreadsheet of the ethnicity and skin colour of everyone I see on TV and comparing it to ONS data. Did you know there are seven times more brown people on the BBC than there should be? It's Cultural Marxism gone mad, I tell you!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Debates on the left all too often spiral into the one remaining perfectionist sitting there being smug over their purity of intent while the room is on fire around them.

Cadwalladr for example is far from perfect but for gently caress's sake, if you drive out everyone who's ever said something dumb about politics, none of us get out alive.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

BalloonFish posted:

"I'm not a racist, I just spend my evenings filling in a spreadsheet of the ethnicity and skin colour of everyone I see on TV and comparing it to ONS data. Did you know there are seven times more brown people on the BBC than there should be? It's Cultural Marxism gone mad, I tell you!"
Usually phrased as "I never even noticed race until there were sometimes non-white people about", without a hint of irony

keep punching joe posted:

Every day I think about that nice old Welsh lady who sincerely told Ed Milliband that the best way to deal with the Tories was to 'machine gun em'.

She was right.
:emptyquote:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ferrosol posted:

And of course you need to meet the standard residency rules of being ordinarily resident in the uk on the first day of the academic year and have been resident in the UK for 3 years (5 years if you're from the EU.)

Has this always been the case? Just curious.

Also can EU students still get funding, I thought that went away with Brexit.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 18, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Debates on the left all too often spiral into the one remaining perfectionist sitting there being smug over their purity of intent while the room is on fire around them.

Cadwalladr for example is far from perfect but for gently caress's sake, if you drive out everyone who's ever said something dumb about politics, none of us get out alive.

And that's why you only kick out the ones who are unwilling to learn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

An amendment just to discuss the possibility of assisted death for mentally competent terminally ill adults was defeated in the Lords by Conservative peers at the insistence of the government.

This happened in the same week as they announced their intent to recriminalize at home early termination of a pregnancy, returning to the laws that could hand down up to a life sentence for taking a pill in your own home.

This is a very strange moral calculus given that this is the same government that allowed mass deaths during a pandemic for the sake of political economic expediency, and keeps ratcheting down the crushing millstone of austerity and benefits cuts, so it can't be from a position of granting human life some intrinsic value in itself.

It's not nice to assume that some group of people are members of some kind of Baalist cult that worships human suffering as its own end, but I can't even see an economic or neoliberal calculus here, so when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains...

The government is allowed to kill people, ordinary people aren't.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This morning I dreamed that I was walking through the streets with a colleague of mine and a small pack of cats, about 5, (keeping very close together) approached, in a friendly way. They were very fluffy. One was brown, a couple were a mid-dark blue with tabby-type markings , and one was very dark blue, almost black. Although I've never seen real cats like that they weren't dyed, that was their natural fur colour. I picked up one of the blue ones - he was a big chap - and was stroking him when I noticed that someone had written on his back in white text something like "These are my cats. Feel free to email me about them. Jaeluni Asjil". (No email address was given).

I've only just noticed the Wet Eggs in my avatar. Who is that from and what does it dignify?

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 18, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to arrange the cats in the right order and then use your phone's QR reader.

E: also excuse me what the gently caress is that gang tag

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

You have to arrange the cats in the right order and then use your phone's QR reader.

E: also excuse me what the gently caress is that gang tag

ACTUALLY...I was going to do some dream analysis but the only thing more boring than someone else's dream is their analysis of it. I only posted the dream as it was UKMT-relevant. And y'all like cats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ordinarily you have to ask for a gang tag but apparently somebody loves you very much and has decided you should be forced to look at keith every time you post.

And I say this as somebody who voluntarily had both boris and phillip as my avatar.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

This morning I dreamed that I was walking through the streets with a colleague of mine and a small pack of cats, about 5, (keeping very close together) approached, in a friendly way. They were very fluffy. One was brown, a couple were a mid-dark blue with tabby-type markings , and one was very dark blue, almost black. Although I've never seen real cats like that they weren't dyed, that was their natural fur colour. I picked up one of the blue ones - he was a big chap - and was stroking him when I noticed that someone had written on his back in white text something like "These are my cats. Feel free to email me about them. Jaeluni Asjil". (No email address was given).

I've only just noticed the Wet Eggs in my avatar. Who is that from and what does it dignify?

How bizarre! There are blue cats "Russian blue" not sure if they are the only blue ones.
I'd share a piccie but I'm phone posting and it's in the 'too hard' box (aka I can't be bothered to find out how).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Journalists aren't people.

Kidding aside but they have a reach & influence that you or I don't (despite how great I am at Twitter, somehow I haven't caught on), people with that influence who say "something" dumb about politics & don't shown any growth absolutely deserve to be roasted repeatedly.

It's not about expecting perfection but gently caress me, it's about asking for more than just crumbs. It's not "purity politics" to expect more than a patronising pat on the head, & you know that or you'd have stayed in Labour & continued devoting hours campaigning for poo poo candidates who hate you & your politics more than they hate Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

I imagine it's a reference to

https://twitter.com/llewcid/status/1306530293319446528

but I have no idea why that gang tag exists.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How bizarre! There are blue cats "Russian blue" not sure if they are the only blue ones.
There's a blue cat around the corner from me, not a Russian blue but a deep grey/blue British shorthair type cat.

:3:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

It is an evangelical culture war issue though. The same people are funding the think tanks pushing these policies. They just do it because they can do what they want. The crackpot religious case for it won't fly here and they don't need it when there is no opposition
Weirdly enough, this just dropped on Vice (yeah, i know) about the new wave of this kind of poo poo in the UK after Turning Point shat itself.

The new tactics seem to be avoiding any wider public exposure where they just get laughed at and trying to influence the tories directly, so it fits.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maybe I shouldn't bring her up again but Cadwalladr's posting some amazing analysis again today:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1504806574484824101?s=20&t=5kbo-RKu9a-taAeivA6ldA

"Russia Today made Farage who he is today".

Wild that he's made the most Question Time appearances out of any guest this century.

She does mention the BBC but apparently that's a "whole other thread":

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1504815896417771522?s=20&t=5kbo-RKu9a-taAeivA6ldA

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Byline did a good vid on Farage, and how hes hosed himself into a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtjStSWimo

Probably already posted or discussed earlier, but still a good one to watch.

Am surprised he isn't punched everywhere he goes.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

Weirdly enough, this just dropped on Vice (yeah, i know) about the new wave of this kind of poo poo in the UK after Turning Point shat itself.

The new tactics seem to be avoiding any wider public exposure where they just get laughed at and trying to influence the tories directly, so it fits.

Really, really good article.

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe I shouldn't bring her up again but Cadwalladr's posting some amazing analysis again today:

RT have supported him again and again financially, directly through appearances or clipping him for social media or indirectly. It's hyperbole but it isn't incorrect

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jiggerypokery posted:

RT have supported him again and again financially, directly through appearances or clipping him for social media or indirectly. It's hyperbole but it isn't incorrect

Sure but it's that same poo poo again isn't it. Russian money is involved, for sure, but it wouldn't matter if there weren't also people in the British establishment who are happy to also receive Russian money and push those same goals.

Like, are you trying to tell me that if Nigel Farage had been on Russia Today as many times as he had and not on Question Time, and HIGNFY, and Loose Women (admittedly that's on ITV - also wtf) that he would have cut through like he did?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 18, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

The thing is that most people just care about the wrong things. It doesn't matter how cruel, corrupt, dishonest, incompetent these people are. The only thing that ever hurts people in public life is hypocrisy.

If partygate was finally the thing that ended Boris career, it wouldn't have been some great moral victory. If anything it would have been sort of depressing. But nothing else he did was ever going to end it. Just hypocrisy.

Same thing with this Russia brexit poo poo. We all know its not the point that really matters, but it might be the point that actually hurts them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jiggerypokery posted:

The thing is that most people just care about the wrong things. It doesn't matter how cruel, corrupt, dishonest, incompetent these people are. The only thing that ever hurts people in public life is hypocrisy.

If partygate was finally the thing that ended Boris career, it wouldn't have been some great moral victory. If anything it would have been sort of depressing. But nothing else he did was ever going to end it. Just hypocrisy.

Same thing with this Russia brexit poo poo. We all know its not the point that really matters, but it might be the point that actually hurts them.

Maybe, but, would it matter? Would it make any meaningful difference to anything if Boris was booted out? If Nigel Farage is exposed as a Russian stooge?

No. The damage is done. Some other murderous Tory would go into no. 10 and Farage is largely irrelevant now anyway.

That's why people criticise this "Russia Brain" stuff. Yeah, they might achieve something*, but what you'll achieve will be completely meaningless without fixing the root causes that our democracy is completely hosed and stuffed to the gills with people who are kleptocratic or just straight up loving evil, or both.

It's a structural issue *with what's going on in the UK and the West in general* and the best we seem to get is people pointing at individuals and saying "MAN BAD! RUSSIA!!!!".

*And has any of this achieved anything tangible at all anyway?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

I found the manifesto of the Orthodox Conservatives.

Nearly stopped reading at "We know enough of human history to know that God, the natural family, and nationhood are eternal and immutable." because we all know that four things that never have ever changed are the concept of a deity (post-Reformation pre-Modernity only pls), the industrial era nuclear family, the Westphalian concept of the nation, and Ligma.

I'm glad I didn't though because there's a whole bunch of fun stuff about the Conservative Party being mired in liberalism and needing to return to non-liberal values like free speech, trigger warnings treating students like fragile babies but inclusive sex ed causing psychological damage to children, the importance of Judeo-Christian values which are based on Ancient Greece and Rome, and the Quran being bad because "Violence towards women is condoned nowhere in Christian scripture."

:brainworms:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I don't want to go over the arguments of the last few pages again.

I do think where the Overton window sits does have a tangible effect on people's lives though.

I also think putin wants the kind of fascism that would see people like us getting black bagged in the middle of the night for posting here, no hyperbole.

I also think that movements grow exponentially. Britain is ripe for fascism and a small amount of kremlin support can make a growing movement snowball massively faster than it would anyway.

So yeah I do think what the kremlin is able to do in the uk is much, much worse than business as usual and I rate our chances of surviving the next set of cunts much better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1504806574484824101?s=20&t=5kbo-RKu9a-taAeivA6ldA

"Russia Today made Farage who he is today".

Wild that he's made the most Question Time appearances out of any guest this century.

She does mention the BBC but apparently that's a "whole other thread":

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1504815896417771522?s=20&t=5kbo-RKu9a-taAeivA6ldA

Funny, I just came to post the same thing. It's utterly farcical to suggest RT made Farage, but then as is typical to the FBPE brigade, it's easier to point to external influences for the failure of the Remain campaign than looking at actually why we left the EU. But that involves self-reflection & it's easier to blame the boogieman.

TBH if you go back far enough the reason Farage is a thing is the Tory Eurosceptic nutters who made Major's years in office hell. Because without them regarding the European question as the most important thing in the world UKIP never attracts Kilroy & gets the attention it did in 2004 (I think that was the year anyway), which allowed Farage to then end up on every media outlet going, from mainstream like the BBC & ITV & Sky to the fringe ones like RT.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 18, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

blame the boogieman.
I just can't
I just can't
I just can't control my feed

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

That whole thread is mad. No comment on the legitimacy any of it or not, but the breathless tone and random screenshots are all completely the style of some conspiracy theorist linking photos on the wall with red string.

Surely a proper investigative journalist does not mean to be posting almost indistinguishably from some mad anti-vaxxer with 12 followers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't want to go over the arguments of the last few pages again.

I do think where the Overton window sits does have a tangible effect on people's lives though.

I also think putin wants the kind of fascism that would see people like us getting black bagged in the middle of the night for posting here, no hyperbole.

I also think that movements grow exponentially. Britain is ripe for fascism and a small amount of kremlin support can make a growing movement snowball massively faster than it would anyway.

So yeah I do think what the kremlin is able to do in the uk is much, much worse than business as usual and I rate our chances of surviving the next set of cunts much better.

Even if we accept your frame of reference, that a) Putin has specific aims for the UK and b) the state apparatus of Russia is capable of very precisely steering the chaotic mess of the modern UK (and I would *very* strongly dispute the first point there and just flatly deny the second because RT has viewing numbers lower than my tweets), a fascist UK makes no sense as the end goal and if it was the end goal they're going about it all wrong.

Putin wants discord and division in the various Western blocs to allow Russia to recover their sphere of influence in eastern and south-eastern Europe with less opposition, and to keep the money men who prop him up happy. Brexit definitely meets both those goals (and as I joked at the time, I'm willing to bet someone at the Lubyanka put in a massive invoice the day after the referendum despite doing literally nothing to cause it, because the writing was on the wall 5 years before).

A fascist UK most definitely does *not* fulfill either of those roles. Ultra-nationalism makes buying up half of Kensington so your failson has somewhere to park his Lamborghini much, much harder. A fascist UK is definitely *not* going to suddenly join the Non-Aligned Movement, it's going to buy all the nukes it can get it's hands on from the US and start getting a *lot* more shouty about petrochemical prices.

If a fascist UK *was* Russia's goal they'd be throwing money at lots of groups with "Family" and "Safety" in their names (and just look where all the money from the US and UK billionaire class is going...), not weird flagshaggers like Farage. It's not like this country needs help with its flagshagging, it needs culture wars so the fash can claim they're coming in to save everyone and to keep everyone's eyes off what's actually happening.

The forces pushing us towards fascism are not interviews on a television station nobody watches and the quality of the vol-au-vents at Evgeny Lebedev's parties. They are an entire ruling class feeling the ground shifting under their feet and thinking "Hey I can just wear the jackboots for a little while...", and are simply vectors on a trajectory we have been on since the mid-70s - and once again, blaming Russia for this *explicitly helps things along*.

Russia didn't asset-strip the entire primary and secondary industry of the country. Russia didn't hollow out the state for short-term profit leaving only the police and military as sacred cows. Russia isn't behind the 4-decade long project to undo the gains made by the working class in the first half of the 20th century. All of those things would have happened had the Wall never fallen (in fact most of them happened long before it).

Even if you believe whatever tiny influence Russia (and in that I do of course include individual oligarchs who may or may not be in favour with the state itself) has exerted on our politics is the straw that broke the camels back, maybe look at the hundreds of bales piled on before that one straw comes along.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If a fascist UK *was* Russia's goal they'd be throwing money at lots of groups with "Family" and "Safety" in their names (and just look where all the money from the US and UK billionaire class is going...)
Fash hate the HSE tho :v:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Convex posted:

conservatism is a disease, it's ok to call it what it is

This wouldn't have happened with out the input of the dreaded english

And am fooking raging mate

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Conservatives ain't all bad, check out this king doing voluntary work.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1504871342319013910?t=fFeaj6JxsjbMgwE4t2RPEA

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Private Speech posted:

Has this always been the case? Just curious.

Also can EU students still get funding, I thought that went away with Brexit.

Yup don't ask me why there's a difference but it's been like that for as long as i've worked here. And yes you can get funding assuming you meet the residence requirements. The only difference between EU students and British students is that British students can change their course as many times as they like ( subject to previous study rules) while EU students can only change their course once which is a new rule that was brought in for the 22/23 academic year

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Im on my phone and out and about at the moment and can't give it the response it deserves but that is an excellent post goddamnedtwisto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Like an arsonist blending into the crowd to watch the fire they started burn.