Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Combat engineers? Sure. It's an occupational hazard. They're often tasked with front line work, but are not typically as hardened/capable as normal combat units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
James Palmer is the Deputy Editor of Foreign Policy.

https://twitter.com/beijingpalmer/status/1504551175747784704?s=21

It’s actually a whole thread.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psydude posted:

Based upon some of the articles I'm seeing, the Territorial Defense Forces are taking fairly heavy losses (vs. the UKA), which makes sense given most of them are little more than a militia that received a couple of weeks of training and some surplus equipment.

yeah they're lightly trained militia with minimal weaponry going up against armored vehicle columns. No doubt they're probably quite useful in concert with regular forces, but on their own that's a pretty bleak prospect and it makes me really appreciate that I'm thousands of miles away safe and warm.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 18, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lmao. The Kremlin is hosting a feel-good rally to celebrate their annexation of Crimea, and is paying people to show up and cheer:

https://twitter.com/DemeryUK/status/1504789087995191297

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

lmao. The Kremlin is hosting a feel-good rally to celebrate their annexation of Crimea, and is paying people to show up and cheer:

https://twitter.com/DemeryUK/status/1504789087995191297

The values of that generous offer are $2.86 on the low end to the princely sum of *checks notes* $13.33 at the high end.

So in short; :lmao: indeed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The values of that generous offer are $2.86 on the low end to the princely sum of *checks notes* $13.33 at the high end.

So in short; :lmao: indeed.

I wonder if Putin is handing the false flags out along with the checks or if he'll wait till after the bomb goes off

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm seeing lots of unconfirmed accounts of Ukraine swatting Russian air assets and missiles out of the sky. The Ukrainian gov't is claiming 14 Russian aircraft downed in 24 hours and at least 2 missiles shot down.

I guess those AA assets have been deployed?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

psydude posted:

Based upon some of the articles I'm seeing, the Territorial Defense Forces are taking fairly heavy losses (vs. the UKA), which makes sense given most of them are little more than a militia that received a couple of weeks of training and some surplus equipment.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah they're lightly trained militia with minimal weaponry going up against armored vehicle columns. No doubt they're probably quite useful in concert with regular forces, but on their own that's a pretty bleak prospect and it makes me really appreciate that I'm thousands of miles away safe and warm.

Aren't they former conscripts that have been through the same training that everyone else though? That's sort of the point of conscript armies.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Xakura posted:

Aren't they former conscripts that have been through the same training that everyone else though? That's sort of the point of conscript armies.

How bold of you to assume that anyone received "training".

If, big if, they did receive adequate training it didn't take. Watching these videos of Russians reacting to ambush makes the militia training videos out of Michigan or Florida look high speed.

Edit: are you talking about Ukraine or Russia? The militia in Ukraine theoretically had training however many years ago. They were given like a 24 hour refresher, a Javelin, a rifle, ammo, and sent on their way to help farmers steal tanks. These are average joes slinging anti tank rockets, I'm surprised there are more casualties.

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 18, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Xakura posted:

No that's not what the ukr territorials are. They are everything from in practice untrained volounteers to reservists no longer fit for regular army service, ie to old etc.

I guess we'll need effortposts about what conscription really is and how it works eventually - since so many people think its just means "bad soldier" - but ugh

For now; conscription is a recruitment tool. Nothing more nothing less. It's the training and the recruits physical status and motivation that ultimately matters, not the employment contract.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just because someone's a veteran doesn't mean you can throw them into combat with a week's notice. My broken rear end would probably last about 5 minutes before I threw my back out thanks to a prior service injury. And most of my day to day military knowledge has also been replaced by more useful things, like how to reverse sear a perfect filet, or the best way to make brussels sprouts.

e: Most of it's food and beverage related, to be honest.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

psydude posted:

Just because someone's a veteran doesn't mean you can throw them into combat with a week's notice. My broken rear end would probably last about 5 minutes before I threw my back out thanks to a prior service injury. And most of my day to day military knowledge has also been replaced by more useful things, like how to reverse sear a perfect filet, or the best way to make brussels sprouts.

Army needs cooks, here's a mop

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No that's not what the ukr territorials are. They are everything from in practice untrained volounteers to reservists no longer fit for regular army service, ie to old etc.

I guess we'll need effortposts about what conscription really is and how it works eventually - since so many people think its just means "bad soldier" - but ugh

For now; conscription is a recruitment tool. Nothing more nothing less. It's the training and the recruits physical status and motivation that ultimately matters, not the employment contract.

I see, here everyone is assigned to the home guard after service, I was assuming TDF was somewhat similar.

psydude posted:

Ofc, but there'd also be cohorts 1 year out, etc.

ASAPI posted:

The militia in Ukraine theoretically had training however many years ago. They were given like a 24 hour refresher, a Javelin, a rifle, ammo, and sent on their way to help farmers steal tanks. These are average joes slinging anti tank rockets, I'm surprised there are more casualties.

Pretty sure TDF received ~0 Javelins, from what we've seen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did Clive Owen brain him with a cinder block after he got stuck in a door?

What in god's name is the source of this reference

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Conscripts from pre ~2015 ukraine are going to be from soviet pattern of conscription and training, insofar as the ukrainian army was even meaningfully training people in the 2000s (not saying that they weren't, just that estimates of combat ready troops for Ukraine in the early 2010s was mid 4 figures). anyone conscripted after ~2015 is increasingly trained to what is apparently approaching NATO standards. So TDF is going to be filled with really quite a range

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 18, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I keep hearing about Russian propoganda about them capturing piles of unused Javelins and NLAWs from "inept" Ukrainian soldiers but I've yet to see anything verifying it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What in god's name is the source of this reference

Children of Men. The cop they hire to sneak them into the immigrant ghetto tries to steal the child, and he ends up getting his head bashed in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I keep hearing about Russian propoganda about them capturing piles of unused Javelins and NLAWs from "inept" Ukrainian soldiers but I've yet to see anything verifying it.

Because all the stuff they've 'captured' this far has been spent tubes with no missile in it, as far as the actual ones they've shown.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xakura posted:

I see, here everyone is assigned to the home guard after service, I was assuming TDF was somewhat similar.

Ofc, but there'd also be cohorts 1 year out, etc.

Pretty sure TDF received ~0 Javelins, from what we've seen.

yeah, ukr doesn't have an unlimited number of javelins, so they're definitely giving them to their best trained troops. some of those troops could be conscripts at the end of their service, or reservists who had just finished their conscription before the war began, but their older second grade reservists or militias aren't getting any

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

psydude posted:

how to reverse sear a perfect filet

Request for Information

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

Children of Men. The cop they hire to sneak them into the immigrant ghetto tries to steal the child, and he ends up getting his head bashed in.

Oh. He doesn't really look like sid to me though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cimber posted:

Request for Information

I like to do it with New Yorks, and look forward to learning how Psy does his.

Pull them out of the fridge, pat dry, salt and pepper, let it come to room temperature
235-250f in the oven for 12-15m per inch of thickness (even as long as 20m/in)
Meanwhile have a cast iron skillet preheating in the oven
Put the skillet on the stove and get it hot as balls
Pull the steaks out, first sear the fat strip to render it down into the pan, then sear the steak for a minute or two each side in the middle of the fat puddle.

I'm still at the stage where I need to pull the batteries out of the smoke detector before the searing, so I'm still practicing.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Arrath posted:

I'm still at the stage where I need to pull the batteries out of the smoke detector before the searing, so I'm still practicing.

Life is short, but it's much shorter if one doesn't remember much of it. Forget the smoke detector, enjoy yourself. Let it serenade your taste magics! It's a song to remember it by

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Arrath posted:

Pull them out of the fridge, pat dry, salt and pepper, let it come to room temperature
Pull the steaks out, first sear the fat strip to render it down into the pan, then sear the steak for a minute or two each side in the middle of the fat puddle.

Brush the steak with a high-temp oil like avocado before searing, better crust and less smoke than adding oil or butter to the pan itself. Also just don't use butter unless you're A) using high quality poo poo, and B) butter basting with aromatics like garlic and thyme and rosemary.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Smoke detectors really need a snooze button.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

CommieGIR posted:

Smoke detectors really need a snooze button.

Agreed (other than flailing about trying to clear the smoke). There's probably a liability aspect to it though.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven't seen them prove they have working/powered CLUs, but it's inevitable that they'll grab them at some point.

https://twitter.com/gahamalian/status/1504468044562673668

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1502190013013966851

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Brush the steak with a high-temp oil like avocado before searing, better crust and less smoke than adding oil or butter to the pan itself. Also just don't use butter unless you're A) using high quality poo poo, and B) butter basting with aromatics like garlic and thyme and rosemary.

Good info. I'm in a 'meat of the month' club with a farm co-op, delivers freshly slaughtered meats to my door from farms upstate and in Vermont. Much better stuff than i get at my local grocery store, but I do pay a premium for it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah glad to confirm that I'm not missing something. Just a previously normal coworker going full tankie "the west is all cia funded propoganda" and "sanctions only hurt the US fiat economy" trying to square their worldviews with Russia eating poo poo currently.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh. He doesn't really look like sid to me though

He looks like a mini boss version of Lukashenko

Who is a mini boss of Putin

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Javelins don’t do much good to Russian armor facing anti tank infantry.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

The cracked firmwares that you saw on US media coverage of john deere DRM do come from Ukraine

They just keep getting cooler and cooler.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Churchill posted:

Agreed (other than flailing about trying to clear the smoke). There's probably a liability aspect to it though.

Mine has that. If the smoke is still around after 5 minutes, though, it'll start up again.
(This has never come up.)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ask me how I found out my apartment's smoke alarm is integrated in to building wiring and calls the fire department automatically.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Ask me how I found out my apartment's smoke alarm is integrated in to building wiring and calls the fire department automatically.

How did you find out your apartment's smoke alarm is integrated in to building wiring?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

im guessing by triggering your apartment's smoke alarm which automatically called the fire department

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

Do you have like an actual cooking hood or some poo poo over your stove?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

Yeah basically this. Key is temperature control: I know some people hate using probes, but I've honestly had nothing but good results. And, as others have suggested, using an oil with a high smoke point to avoid the bitterness.

Only thing I'd change is actually avoid the pepper until it's done, because it will char during the sear.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Xakura posted:

The pre-2015 classes had really lovely, if any, military training. The post-2015 classes had the best training that western advisors could give, but a lot of those are part of the active reserve, meaning they don't go join the territorial forces, they are either reinforcing existing brigades of the regular army or currently being raised as new brigades and receiving refresher training. The territorial forces have a core of well-trained people, but most of them are volunteers who for one reason or another were not considered fit for the regular army. Either never received the training, aged out, or failed a later physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I know it's already been said, but thanks for this thread. I started in the GBS Ukraine thread, but this is so much more informative and has less pearl clutching.